rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

The new bridge
M5 Shark (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 18:31
Although it's not open yet, someone has had a drive across the new bridge.

[www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk]

Re: The new bridge
emerging shark (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 18:52
The interesting bit is that Salford City Council accepted the operation of the bridge after it is completed!

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 00:49
Peel said that the council had accepted operation of the bridge. Statements from Peel are about as reliable as a PSA teamsheet. The council said that they expect Peel to operate it.

There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - R.I.P. Dickie Jeeps 25/11/1931 - 08/10/2016

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 07:45
The pavement didn't seem that visible?

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 09:20
The pavement is only on one side. On the Manchester side over the new bridge, then on the stadium side as it turns to go under the M60. Appears to be 6' to 10' wide.
There is no provision apparent for access to the pre-existing canalside footpath. I hope I am wrong but it appears it's going to be re-routed along the new road.

07 December, 2017 10:21
Will the footpath be useable for the Cardiff game for those who wish to park at the TC?

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

MartWhit (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 12:06
how is this impavted by the Hammerson acquisition of Intu, of which Peel holdings is a major shareholder and has lost a fortune.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 12:52
Probably no impact Mart - Peel's involvement in the bridge is likely to be completely separate from the Intu ownership of the TC. Peel have plenty of other interests remaining in the area.

ale shark (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 13:20
Didnít Intu just buy a massive lease on the TC? Aren't Peel still the landowners?

ulsterlad (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 17:25
Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
Will the footpath be useable for the Cardiff game for those who wish to park at the TC?

Since the video was posted on Facebook, the bridge has been in the raised position every time I have passed, possibly to prevent anyone else doing the same.

07 December, 2017 18:13
Thanks for that.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 18:24
It looked like it was down when I went past at midday today

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2017 18:25 by ashtonshark.

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 21:33
Presumably, it has to be in an up position to allow shipping to pass?

ulsterlad (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 22:54
Yes it does , but as there is only 1/2 ships that far up the canal the bridges at Eccles (X2) Warburton and Warrington are generally in the closed position to allow vehicles across.

As an aside there is also a free ferry crossing in Irlam which Peel has still got to provide as part of Act or Parliament which allowed the building of the ship canal.. not often used but they legally still have to provide a crossing between Irlam and Flixton for passengers and livestock.(these days you show up, phone the Ferryman on his mobile and they come and get you for free. (Too far from the stadium to be of use but a nice cheap day out))

The same Act also insists on a crossing at Warburton. Ever wonder why the toll is 12 pence each direction and 25 pence return? Again that's is down to the Act that enabled the canal and stipulated tolls for crossing.; The allowed multiplier means the max they can legally charge (currently) is 12.5p. hence the 12p one way and 25p return.

And they still can't open a bridge that was supposed to open in 2014!

iBozz (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 18:10
I was probably too cold to notice, but this is from tonight's MEN!

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

HaleShark (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 18:24
Yes, protests today at the Trafford Centre and they say also at the Stadium. I assume they have lifted the bridge to stop the protesters taking to the bridge.

Simon Orange was confident at the recent fans forum that the bridge would be open by the end of November, he must be bitterly disappointed this issue is still not sorted.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 19:34
I think confident is over-egging it, Hale. Hopeful perhaps.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 19:47
The "official" opening of the bridge is really in the hands of Peel isn't it? They can hold out for as long as they want and I iamgine are waiting for Salford Council to act on the publicity which the "protests" are attracting.

I am little surprised how free-flowing the traffic is on a Saturday afternoon. The last two games have actually been quite painless in terms of travel. The owners have talked about the "hit" which they are taking on reduced corporate spend - I wonder how much of a hit that actually is?

09 December, 2017 21:36
Quote:
M5 Shark
The "official" opening of the bridge is really in the hands of Peel isn't it? They can hold out for as long as they want and I iamgine are waiting for Salford Council to act on the publicity which the "protests" are attracting.
I am little surprised how free-flowing the traffic is on a Saturday afternoon. The last two games have actually been quite painless in terms of travel. The owners have talked about the "hit" which they are taking on reduced corporate spend - I wonder how much of a hit that actually is?

I think that the problem is that they moved from the corporate rich Friday evening slot to Saturday/Sunday slots to get more bums on seats only to find that the 'we won't come on a Friday night' brigade won't come on a Saturday afternoon/evening either and in actuality probably won't ever come ~ they'll just look for another excuse to blame the club for their non attendance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 22:56 by Grumpy Old Shark.

iBozz (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 09:34
Fair point, GOS, but I suspect that yesterday a combination of bad weather, both actual and forecast, and a relatively low key game in the eyes of many, may have contributed to the low numbers.

I suspect also that many a long suffering and reluctant husband and attendant Sprogs were being dragged off to the shops (not necessarily at the Trafford Centre, a deeply unpleasant place to be avoided at all costs in my opinion) to act as porter in preparation for Christmas,

We drove up from the totally (and still) snowless south and arrived at St Michael's Club around 1230 and the traffic was fine, but a long queue was beginning to develop for those coming from the north and who wished to turn off to the Trafford Centre just after the high level bridge.

Even The Barley Farm was significantly quieter than usual so I'm not sure that yesterday was a typical Saturday.

One can, though, live in hope!

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

10 December, 2017 11:21
Edward, will new bridge lead to new road and ....London.....?

http://ksassets.timeincuk.net/wp/uploads/sites/55/2012/04/LeagueOfGentlemenPR100412.jpg

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 19:25
GOS, as IBozz says a fair point. Can you, though, put your finger on why a couple of thousand, or more, supporters who used to trot along quite happily to watch (whether Friday or Saturday) but now don't bother - without resorting to the rather ridiculous argument that "it's because of the negativity on this forum".

ale shark (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 20:25
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark
I think that the problem is that they moved from the corporate rich Friday evening slot to Saturday/Sunday slots to get more bums on seats only to find that the 'we won't come on a Friday night' brigade won't come on a Saturday afternoon/evening either and in actuality probably won't ever come ~ they'll just look for another excuse to blame the club for their non attendance.

Didn't this Saturday's game get the 2nd biggest attendance of the season?

Whilst i didn't go yesterday due to other commitments (of which there are many at this time of year) I have purchased 2 half seasons tickets following the game-day switch. These are effective from the Bath game so hopefully a lot may have purchased these as early Christmas presents.

10 December, 2017 20:30
Imho the Bath game will get the best attendance figure so far.

10 December, 2017 20:33
Pre-booking for the Brook coach suggests a good crowd, I understand.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg
Somewhere in the South Stand

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 20:44
Quote:
ale shark
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark

Whilst i didn't go yesterday due to other commitments (of which there are many at this time of year) I have purchased 2 half seasons tickets following the game-day switch. These are effective from the Bath game so hopefully a lot may have purchased these as early Christmas presents.

Regarding the "game-day" switch, has anyone seen confirmation that all matches for the rest of the season have now been changed to a Saturday? Over the summer, it was confirmed that the club's "preference" subject to TV was Saturdays during the darker months/November onwards, and Friday's at the beginning/end of the season.

I know that the Northampton AW game in January has been changed to a Friday (and is not on TV), but not sure about games from March onwards. Saying that, unless we reach the knockout stages of ECC, AW or AP we usually will only have 1 or 2 homes games in the last 8 weeks of the season,

ale shark (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 21:29
Quote:
M5 Shark
Regarding the "game-day" switch, has anyone seen confirmation that all matches for the rest of the season have now been changed to a Saturday? Over the summer, it was confirmed that the club's "preference" subject to TV was Saturdays during the darker months/November onwards, and Friday's at the beginning/end of the season.

I know that the Northampton AW game in January has been changed to a Friday (and is not on TV), but not sure about games from March onwards. Saying that, unless we reach the knockout stages of ECC, AW or AP we usually will only have 1 or 2 homes games in the last 8 weeks of the season,

Yeah, I am a bit worried about this. I emailed Swanny before I got the 1/2 season tickets asking if a formal announcement would be forthcoming, or if I could purchase with confidence based on what was announced by the owners at the fan forum. Swanny never replied. The lack of confirmation is a bit frustrating.

I think the Saracens League game is on TV so is definitely on a Friday as well as the Saints game. Having brought the half season tickets based on what the owners said then if more than 3 of the remaining 8 games are on a Friday then Iíll probably never spend a penny at the club again.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 21:37
I don't recall the exact working which Simon O used at the forum, but think he said something like "We've taken the hit on corporates and changed to Saturday's". He didn't say for how long did he?

10 December, 2017 22:56
Quote:
ale shark
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark

Certainly looked like the lowest attendance in the stands in a few seasons - perhaps people bought tickets and stayed in the bars?

ale shark (IP Logged)
13 December, 2017 10:20
Bridge update from Peel yesterday, doesn't say much we didn't know.

[www.portsalford.co.uk]

emerging shark (IP Logged)
13 December, 2017 18:46
It's like a soap opera... That guy doing the stirring is not going to lie down...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net