rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Team for Cardiff
wrinklieshark (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 12:23
Steve Diamond has named a 23 that shows nine changes from last Saturday's squad, four of them positional. There are first starts this term, outside of the Anglo Welsh Cup, for James Flynn and TJ Ioane. Sam James starts at fly half for the first time this season, with brother Luke among the replacements.

Sale Sharks: Mike Haley; Denny Solomona, Mark Jennings, Rohan Janse Van Rensburg, Josh Charnley; Sam James, Will Cliff; James Flynn, Marc Jones, Halani Aulika, Bryn Evans, George Nott, Cameron Neild, TJ Ioane, Josh Strauss (capt.). Replacements: Rob Webber, Ross Harrison, Alexandru Tarus, Matt Postlethwaite, Ben Curry, Matt Sturgess, Luke James, Paolo Odogwu.

Re: Team for Cardiff
thekeg (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 13:02
Seems like a sensible balanced selection to me, rests some key players but also gives us a chance. The slight surprise to me is James at 10.

Olyy (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 13:54
Like it!
Little surprised at James at 10, even more surprised at no 10 on the bench! Wilf covering from the pitch?

MartWhit (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 14:00
This is rather what I thought they'd select for the home game last week. For this game I thought they'd beef it up more. The forward bench looks good, but I'm surprised there sint more established names in the backs given that we've given ourselves a chance in this comp now.

thekeg (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 15:11
Quote:
Olyy
Like it!
Little surprised at James at 10, even more surprised at no 10 on the bench! Wilf covering from the pitch?

Must be cliff covering, canít see any other option. Possibly Haley at a real push

MartWhit (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 15:50
loks to me like we're planning a tactical shift, with a reduction in kicking. We've picked a side to win ball at lineout time and pretty much maxed out on our ball carriers to keep it and recycle it.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 16:04
Wonder who will be kicking off the tee - Sam or Wilf?

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 16:22
Quote:
Chris1850
Wonder who will be kicking off the tee - Sam or Wilf?

Cliff I guess

Crutch (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 16:56
2 pretty strong squads over the 2 games considering the rotation and players rested. Hopefully enough to bag the points. Seems slightly odd to not have either AJ or JoC involved, perhaps one or both has a slight knock so not worth risking.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 17:00
I'll go out on a limb and say a couple of missed kicks at goal could be the difference between winning and losing here. And we're fielding something like our 5 & 6th choice kickers. Wouldn't have been my choice.

Olyy (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 17:30
Cardiff Blues:
Matthew Morgan; Owen Lane, Garyn Smith, Willis Halaholo, Aled Summerhill, Gareth Anscombe, Tomos Williams;
Gethin Jenkins (capt), Matthew Rees, Anton Peikrishvili, Seb Davies, Damian Welch, Macauley Cook, Josh Navidi, Nick Williams.

Replacements: Kirby Myhill, Brad Thyer, Keiron Assiratti, James Down, Josh Turnbull, Lloyd Williams, Jarrod Evans, Rey Lee-Lo.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 17:32
Quote:
MartWhit
I'll go out on a limb and say a couple of missed kicks at goal could be the difference between winning and losing here. And we're fielding something like our 5 & 6th choice kickers. Wouldn't have been my choice.

I agree. I would have liked to see either Faf or AJ start. It would seem that Will is injured as he hasn't featured for a few weeks now. Anyone know what the problem is?

Olyy (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 18:52
Isn't wilf a solid goal kicker?
I remember him being first choice for the jets and kicking for the main side a number of times when injuries occurred.
I'd put him on a par with Faf tbh

clutch (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 00:32
Cliff is our 3rd choice kicker
Interesting to see James at 10. Surprised

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 05:34
Even the forwards chosen should be in for something of a rest, relative to most games. Win quick ball and give it to the backs, there's some serious running power and try scoring nouse out there. I'm told that running in support of backs is nothing like as tiring as constantly scrumming and mauling.

It's a while since I saw Cliff kick regularly, but unless he has had a steep decline, then I would put him comfortably ahead of Faf. AJ the only consistently reliable kicker we have had this season. Has JO'C had a shot at goal yet?

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

MartWhit (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 12:35
not sure we've had everyone fit to know what the order of kickers is. But I'd hypothesise:
1) AJ
assuming AJ kicking left footed and AJ backheeling it are not allowed to be 2 + 3, then
2) Addison
3) JOC (on the basis he's done the job for Aus
4) Faf, because he's got good range
5) Cliff
6) James

clutch (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 15:32
How have you put Faff in 4th!! He's kicked well generally. He's clearly ahead of O Connor and probably Addison as well.
I'd love to see AJ backheeling it.
Good chance for me gain evidence for my claim that James is clearly our best attacking 10.

thekeg (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 17:25
Faf has kicked when OíConnor playing so must be considered 3 at worst.

Rich E (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 17:53
It seems that AJ is becoming increasingly integral to Sale's best team,

If our SA inside centre continues to adapt then his play at Connuaght, that no doubt a lot of us enjoyed and appreciated, will blossom further.

16 December, 2017 21:55
Only got to win tomorrow and we're top of our group!

17 December, 2017 11:56
Just found out that the match is on Sky at 3pm. Solves the problem of what to do on a wet Sunday afternoon.

clutch (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 12:47
Yeah. Anything but watching us. We always lose on TV

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 13:16
AJ is currently in the states: busy with the national team apparently.

madders (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 14:43
Late change, Jennings out. Solomona to 13, Odogwu to 14, Reed on bench.

17 December, 2017 14:53
3 - 0

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

17 December, 2017 14:56
3 - 3 Cliff

Dis mus be da place

MartWhit (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 15:05
Weíre doing a pretty poor job of winning and keeping possession. Doing well to keep the scores level.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 15:11
Pretty inforgiveable lineout effort so far, with 3 good options on the park.

17 December, 2017 15:19
3 attacking lineouts turned over.

Dis mus be da place

jaytom (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 15:30
Bulk of territory and possession in the last 20 minutes and nothing to show for it...

2007dwain (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 15:31
Sam James is determined to give away attacking positions by trying chips and cross field kicks. One even went 20m behind himself

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 15:31
Dull and error strewn sums that up. Not much quality displayed by either side

17 December, 2017 15:32
....with the wind behind......

Dis mus be da place

clutch (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 15:39
All of those cross field kicks were during advantage. Though would like to see us spin it occasionally.

clutch (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 15:41
On the plus side we are still in it!! They will lose go forward when Williams goes off.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 15:44
I'm glad I missed most of the 1st half when I brought my mother in to decorate the church. Safe to say I won't be watching back the recording of it.

clutch (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 15:49
Already better 2nd half. Almost got round them but James pass wasn't accurate. Bryn close to putting Charnley in.

17 December, 2017 15:53
8 - 3 try Morgan con missed

Dis mus be da place

Glossopshark (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 15:54
The lack of basic skills on show is surprising even given the conditions.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 15:54
This is another on a long list of games we will likely lose despite not being the weaker team. The return of dimes seems to have coincided with a return to brainless rugby.

clutch (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 15:56
Not brainless. We just aren't very good in poor conditions. Maginty badly missed in these conditions. Their kicking is so much better than ours.

17 December, 2017 15:57
Harrison, Webber, Tarus on.

Dis mus be da place

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 15:58
Our inability to take advantage of all that territory in the 1st half could be the difference. Too many errors and lack of composure

clutch (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 16:00
Yeah. Some proper home advantage decisions coming in. Clearly Cardiff drove in for that scrum.

17 December, 2017 16:01
11 - 3 two scrum pens conceded

Dis mus be da place

jaytom (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 16:04
This is getting embarrassing! How much more good attacking are we going to cough up with cheap knock-ons?

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 16:12
Constantly trying miracle offloads and knocking it on. Just keep hold of the #@#@###i thing FFS!

And another lineout cock up. Really really poor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/12/2017 16:13 by ashtonshark.

clutch (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 16:13
We are chasing the game under poor conditions. We will produce knock ons. It's the lineout that is killing us. Cliff needs to be less ponderous.

17 December, 2017 16:14
11 - 6 Cliff

Dis mus be da place

17 December, 2017 16:22
14 - 6

Dis mus be da place

clutch (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 16:23
They slow the ball down at every ruck and don't get pinged. We get pinged immediately. Paulo clearly high tackled.

jaytom (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 16:31
Brainless! Even blew a LBP!

clutch (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 16:32
Game was lost in the first half. Line out poor. No grunt up front which you need in these games.

17 December, 2017 16:33
Final Score 14 - 6

Dis mus be da place

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 16:33
Ref may have been poor but we were even worse. All that possession in their half and 22 and we didn't threaten their line once. Cardiff knew all they had to do was not miss tackles and we would eventually cough it up as we were ineffective and lacking any threat in attack

Yet another winnable game gone begging amongst many this season. Even taking the weather into account that was rubbish

MartWhit (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 16:34
brainless shambolic sh!tshow of poor decision making and skills execution.

Typical Sale The moment we have an opportunity to get somewhere, we have to throw in a change selection due to our tiny squad, and put in an absolute stinker of a performance.

Rich E (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 16:37
Did someone say AJ was badly missed,,,,,,,,

porridge (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 16:37
Line out losses cost us in the first half.
The decision making & accuracy at 9 & 10 was even worse.
Difficult viewing not enhanced by the commentary pair.

clutch (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 16:40
Of course. I'm not mental. In poor conditions you need your best controlling 10 and your best goal kicker. Don't think it would have made much difference though. Lost in the forwards. No go forward. Poor lineout skills. Maginty would have kicked us into better positions but that's immaterial when the lineout fails.
I thought we did ok in 2nd half. Some nice stuff occasionally but chasing in bad conditions isn't easy.

Olyy (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 16:41
That was terrible.
Conditions didn't help at all, but what was going on with the set piece? Lineout was a mess, and the scrum was beaten.

No real kicker and no real flyhalf in the 23 showed, what little we got from our backs was individual skills (Haley's break, with the pass to Rohan then Chanley, etc.) rather than backs moves.

Odogwu the only shining light, great defence and did well with what little ball he got.
Curry made a big impact from the bench.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 16:41
Quote:
clutch
Not brainless. We just aren't very good in poor conditions. Maginty badly missed in these conditions. Their kicking is so much better than ours.

Never mind the conditions, we're just not very good despite some quality signings. I'll say it again, we continue to be significantly less than the sum of our parts on a consistent basis.

2007dwain (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 16:42
Cardiff defence was up very quick making it very hard but that was just rubbish we either kicked away or knocked on when we were going forward. Sam j is not a 10

Anna59 (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 16:42
this game was lost when we had a scrum ,center of the pitch ,on their 22 after they had kicked the ball over our dead ball line. Strong scrum,go forward ball and Solomonís kicks the ball away. Ridiculous. How often this season has he ,Haley, charnley, mcguigan done this? Too often. Hello, sale players/coaches: WISE UP.
Btw James does the same thing 5 minutes later. Playing advantage or not- RIDICULOUS.
Classroom session needed.

17 December, 2017 16:43
I don't think AJ would have made much of a difference. His game management isn't great and I don't think any kicks were missed. The game was lost up front - mainly due to the lineout failing to function. I'm coming to the conclusion we play better without Strauss.

Dis mus be da place

MartWhit (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 16:43
I can confirm that Sam James is not the fly half we are looking for.

Direction at halfback totally absent. Not a decent line cut all day.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 16:45
I'd say there were enough brainless chips and offloads for a lifetime today.

Rich E (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 16:55
FWIW I think AJ would have made a maasive differnece today; irrespective of the forwards go forward he would have given us territory and taken much pressure off Will. SJ is not a 10.

AJ will get the best of our centres, however if as as other have posted he is off with the US then we had to make do. Slightly surprised we didn't go with James OC given a slightly less pressured fly half game and he was purchased as a no' 10.....

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 17:50
Quote:
Rich E
FWIW I think AJ would have made a maasive differnece today; irrespective of the forwards go forward he would have given us territory and taken much pressure off Will. SJ is not a 10.
AJ will get the best of our centres, however if as as other have posted he is off with the US then we had to make do. Slightly surprised we didn't go with James OC given a slightly less pressured fly half game and he was purchased as a no' 10.....
Why was aj away though? Surely we can hold on to him outside the intl window?

Olyy (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 18:03
I imagine that we had one eye on the EQP averages for this game.
We have a lot of non-EQP in the squad, and Rohan in for Addison only adds to that.
JOC or AJ in for the injured Jennings, rather than putting Denny at 13, would have made more sense if everyone were available.

camshark (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 18:39
Whilst James is a good 13, this game has shown that he is not a 10, to expect him to play in this pivotal position with little game time here was a poor call. If he was our only option then we are short of back up. Yes we coughed up ball and had a mare at lineout but a competent 10 would have made better use of the ball we had.

ale shark (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 19:16
Donít know why I moan about our lack of TV exposure when weíre so utterly abysmal every time weíre on it. Glad I took out a month-long sky sports subscription when I saw we were on today. Hopefully Steve Beaton stays in the darts until after Christmas, thatíll make it a well spent £20.

clutch (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 20:10
Why does one game in rubbish conditions prove that. He was much better than AJ last season. I agree though AJ would have made a difference in poor conditions but that doesn't mean he's a better 10 full stop.
I don't think James was helped by Cliff being to slow at times and not having a 13 playing 13 can't help!!

camshark (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 20:30
My point is that a ( very) talented 13 will struggle to slot in to a very critical 10 position, if not playing there regularly . AJ, Cips, Hodgson are natural 10ís . JOC is talented enough , and plays in a way that he can switch. Sam James whilst a very talented player is not a natural 10.
Itís a different mind set, different thought process, different speed of decision making. Sam can fill in at 10 in an emergency. This game was too important , unless we really didnít have any other options.

clutch (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 21:16
I agree. It is less than ideal. But James filled in last year and did well enough to keep the shirt. He was pretty poor today but that doesn't negate previous performances at 10.
I'd be playing Maginty. I'm not saying otherwise at the moment.

Flumpty (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 08:21
The prosecution presents article a) & article b), both from the keyboard of Mr clutch

Quote:
clutch
Good chance for me gain evidence for my claim that James is clearly our best attacking 10.

Quote:
clutch
I'd be playing Maginty. I'm not saying otherwise at the moment.

18 December, 2017 08:32
Billy Bleach you mean

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/PM97MDBhrPc/hqdefault.jpg

Dis mus be da place

clutch (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 09:53
Flumpty you'd make a good lawyer. However I did say attacking 10. I fully stand by that and one game isn't going to sway me on that. In good conditions at home I'd rather play James. I'd still be happy with AJ and continuity is pretty important so there is a strong argument to sticking with one 10 and that being the end of it.

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 10:15
I listened to the first half on the radio and watched bits/pieces on Sky for the second half.

The loss isn't the be all and end all - we can't really be fighting in two comp and the Prem always take priority so being out of it isn't so bad.

The overriding frustration is that we put in our usual shift of effort which can never be faulted but yet again our basics both in terms of skill and game management were absence. If the lineout isn't working..........stop kicking to the damn corner only to mess it up again. The scrum was going well - take the scrum or try and kick the points - it's not rocket science - why on earth can't they work this out on the pitch??

Conditions weren't great - our handling and knock on's isn't known for being a classic - yet still Cliff flinged out passes at quick pass to forwards making runs with a defense coming straight up at them and we just knocked it on.........and on..........and on - but didn't change tactic.

Our inability to master the basics and cut out the error rate is what loses us games - it doesn't overly matter who plays 10 if we can't keep hold of the ball through phases nor secure a lineout.

The backs looked eager for work - for a few seasons now Dimes and others have just said get the ball in Denny's hands - and we can't do it.

That's the frustration from my viewpoint.

Bring on Bath! just concentrate on the basics.......

MartWhit (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 10:37
most avenues still look to lead back tot he coaches.

The squad is so small and thin that we were essentially forced into a less than ideal selection for a big game away from home. This isnt an injury crisis issue, its the fact we started from a squad of only 32.

And secondly, persistent weaknesses of basic skills and decision making continue to let us down. Clearly the players have to share responsibility here, but the coaches are the ones who address this issue systemically.

clutch (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 12:03
That is the issue with not having a top goal kicker. We are forced to go for the corner. Which is fine, when you have a strong line out and effective maul. The lineout is generally fine, but when our maul is so ineffective, why do we bother with this tactic.

I do think in terms of coaching we need to look at the pack first. We don't get turn overs and our maul is poor. That could be down to personnel as much as anything else though.

Flumpty (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 12:22
Quote:
clutch
Flumpty you'd make a good lawyer. However I did say attacking 10. I fully stand by that and one game isn't going to sway me on that. In good conditions at home I'd rather play James. I'd still be happy with AJ and continuity is pretty important so there is a strong argument to sticking with one 10 and that being the end of it.

no worries clutch - I just saw a leg that was crying out to be pulled and I gave it a tug.

If anyone took the time to go through my online posting, I've made plenty of similar posts.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 12:22
those would still be the personnel signed by the coaches though?

and not supplemented by others following evidence that they may be underpowered?

clutch (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 12:37
Quite, but said people don't grow on trees and Diamond knows where we need to strengthen.

Its still early days in the Orange era, and any pre Orange signing have to be judged with a huge budget caveat.

jaytom (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 12:54
Quote:
clutch

I do think in terms of coaching we need to look at the pack first. We don't get turn overs and our maul is poor. That could be down to personnel as much as anything else though.

Agreed and it should be an area of concern - with Braid in the pack the maul was one of our most potent weapons.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 13:05
given that Braid wasn't a proverbial 'beast', and was often paired with Seymour on the flank, the secret clearly lay in something technical we were doing and not the sheer weight behind it.

Low centres of gravity clearly have a use eh? I'll get my boots out shall I?

thekeg (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 16:16
I think Taylor was also a key part of our maul tactically and technically, it has dipped in standard since he left

Monty9 (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 17:23
Would that comment suggest you are slightly vertically challenged MW?

18 December, 2017 17:32
Bath have looked very good in both their last two ECP games.

Dis mus be da place

clutch (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 17:53
I think Mills was hugely important as was Vadim and Hines as well during the period it was at its best.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 18:51
Have I got this right?

Braid was important to the Maul
Seymour was important to the Maul
Taylor was important to the maul
Mills was important to the maul
Vadim was important to the maul
Hines was important to the maul

So we've lost 6 out of 8 who were important to the maul and we wonder why we cant maul?

Just stayed up till the early hours to watch a recording of the game, didn't need to have bothered. I should have realised we were playing away and the match report could have been written before the game.

Lots of effort, little skill, even less thought. a plethora of knocks on in contact, big penalty count, stray passes aplenty. Defeat in a winnable game.

The ref must have set new records for inconsistency, but seemed to succeed in confusing both teams equally. Anyone got any idea why the Cardiff scrum half was allowed to dummy at almost every ruck?

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Rich E (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 19:07
Braid was important to the Maul
Seymour was important to the Maul
Taylor was important to the maul
Mills was important to the maul
Vadim was important to the maul
Hines was important to the maul

Really intersting summary (and by other posters).

Clearly in the Briad era we played to our strengths and the rolling maul was our key.

We're now trying to evolve, but it can't be too revolutionary....perhaps too much too soon?

Of the above we didn't choose to lose Tayloer, and Seymour has moved in to veteran status.

Have the new breed/acqusistions failed to replace or have we tried to win by other means....

clutch (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 19:16
How thick of me.

Effion was important to the maul.

Olyy (IP Logged)
19 December, 2017 19:24
We've still not replaced Eifion, which is increasingly more bizarre.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net