rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Kieran Brookes
30 December, 2017 21:59
Rugby Inside Line Twitter states Sale and Wasps are interested - views ??

Re: Kieran Brookes
MartWhit (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 22:20
for once, just once, I'd like us to be linked to someone in a key position that we dont have current depth.

thekeg (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 22:22
We will need to replace aulika I imagine

MartWhit (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 22:31
sure, but signing a 3rd choice in any position is easy, low pressure decision. Finding a potential starting 1 is the money shot, and the silence there is deafening.

thekeg (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 22:43
Quote:
MartWhit
sure, but signing a 3rd choice in any position is easy, low pressure decision. Finding a potential starting 1 is the money shot, and the silence there is deafening.

I agree thatís a bigger priority, but donít think Brookeís would be viewed as a third choice at his best

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2017 22:44 by thekeg.

Olyy (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 23:38
Can he play lock?

clutch (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 02:14
I do feel sorry for us. Any link just gets criticised. Yes he's not a lock but he's a player that will improve our squad. We do want to improve don't we? Or spend a billion on a loosehead and second row so we can blame the coaches if they don't gel.

Olyy (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 02:26
I'd be happy if we signed Brookes (presumably Aulika is off?)
Just would be far happier to hear anything other than the vague "we're looking" with regards to loosehead or lock seeing as we realistically only have one loosehead And two locks that are trusted by the coaches to play at this level.

madders (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 05:56
He's a guy from the North West, who was doing great when at Newcastle. The last couple of years though his form has gone rapidly backwards. He's definitely worth a punt, in my view, as if he can recapture his form he'd be an easy 1st choice tighthead.

thekeg (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 09:07
Quote:
Olyy
Just would be far happier to hear anything other than the vague "we're looking" with regards to loosehead or lock seeing as we realistically only have one loosehead And two locks that are trusted by the coaches to play at this level.

Three locks surely.....of course weíd all love us to sign a 1/4 but Iíd rather we sign the right ones.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 09:12
Brookes is a good player, albeit one who doesnt seem to have come on in the last couple of years.

He'd be quite a similar swap out for Aulika, with the benefit of being a few years younger and maybe having a bit more potential to squeeze out. And he's english.

But it isnt really acceptable to commit solid chunks of finite salary budget like this when glaring holes as simply unaddressed. It isnt a matter of gamling millions on a lose head and lock, its that it seems budget simply doesnt exist for these positions given commitments elsewhere.

isitme (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 09:15
A few years ago he was much sought after and played a number of times for England. He is decent in the scrum and a reasonable ball carrier but needs to get fitter to have more of an impact around the park. He could be a good signing, if he can rediscover his earlier form. I suspect he will be offered less than what he is currently on to reflect his present standing. If it is down to Sale or Wasps he would more likely start for Sale whereas he would back up Cooper Wooley at Wasps.

thekeg (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 09:18
Quote:
MartWhit
Brookes is a good player, albeit one who doesnt seem to have come on in the last couple of years.
He'd be quite a similar swap out for Aulika, with the benefit of being a few years younger and maybe having a bit more potential to squeeze out. And he's english.

But it isnt really acceptable to commit solid chunks of finite salary budget like this when glaring holes as simply unaddressed. It isnt a matter of gamling millions on a lose head and lock, its that it seems budget simply doesnt exist for these positions given commitments elsewhere.

Not sure that final point is true at all, I think itís pretty clear we have money to spend.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 10:46
Spend it then, before Harrison expires before our eyes.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 10:54
Itís not about just spending it, itís about spending it on the right players. Iím sure you would be even more vocal if we signed someone not of the right quality, just to ďspend itĒ

If the 2 potential signing today do come off, thatís nearly 40 stone added to our pack with players who still have their best years ahead of them. Fingers crossed there is some truth in both

MartWhit (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 10:56
no, in this case I wouldnt. Its simply not acceptable to have only 1 loose head in the squad whos trusted to play. Flynn may as well not exist. I'd be happy with anyone to be added to the squad so long as he had Dimes confidence to actually play meaningful minutes.

At the moment he's ruining Harrison. You dont know you're breaking something until it breaks. But we saw how even a trojan like Cobilas fell off a cliff late season after being asked to undertake exactly what Harrison is right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/12/2017 11:09 by MartWhit.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 11:01
I agree we have some money, but how so and how much, thekeg? FAF/O'connor/Van Rensberg won't have been cheap. It's some time since we had a statement from Dimes on how much leeway we had under the cap! We really don't know.

How much are you notionally reserving for a top quality tighthead and enforcing lock? EQP ones are pretty dear!

We're in the running for Brookes obviously, but Wasps have pretty deep pockets.

Do you think Sale are now beginning an era when they will treat the salary cap as a minor accounting tribulation to be overcome with threats of legal action, like, allegedly, Wasps and Sarries?

Or more politely(given the date) and certainly .... there's always been that feeling that players will indeed accept lower remuneration at big successfull clubs vying for top honours at home and in Europe. Do you think that factor has gone?

I think Dimes has been trying to address "glaring holes" ever since monies became available with the new owners, with pretty limited success in the case of the tight five. Whereas I am very impressed with his nous elsewhere! Monty9 is spot on.

Scarcity of candidates, money, club/DOR reputation and club size and position,, attendances, no european cup and quite a few other factors may well have limited our success but i haven't a clue as to which is/are more significant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/12/2017 11:03 by H's Dad....

clutch (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 11:16
Is he ruining Harrison. I agree we need a trusted loosehead but Harrison seems to be coping fine. To echo Monty it's about spending the right money. I'd rather Flynn get his 5 mins rather than signing some 2nd rate immobile oaf.
Dimes spoke about the salary in his interview on radio Manc. We are way below but increasing year on year in increments assuming increased revenue.
Dimes isn't a fool he isn't going to sign a tighthead and suddenly realise he has only 80k spare for a loosehead!!

MartWhit (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 11:20
harrison will carry on seeming to be fine ntil he isnt. Thats the nature of these things.

But
1) we saw how Cobilas, even without getting injured, fell off alarmingly late season when we asked him to do the same job as Harrison is asked now, and
2) lots of intelligent people work in this game, and none of them that I can cite are asking any of their front row forwards to do what Harrison is, injury crises or not. I strongly think that DImes hasnt found a magic recipe which allows him to do something different from everybody else. I go with the majority on this one.

Olyy (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 11:53
Quote:
thekeg
Quote:
Olyy

Three locks surely.....of course weíd all love us to sign a 1/4 but Iíd rather we sign the right ones.

Nott isn't really getting game time though - same as Flynn really. He'll get 5 mins here and there and the odd start when someone is injured or needs resting, but evans and andrei play the full 80 more often than not

thekeg (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 11:59
I was thinking Beaumont as well olly, unless you meant fit locks.

I think the recent dimes interview on bbc manc made it clear we have a fair bit to spend if we need to, even with the players mentioned above in the squad. I think he mentioned spending an additional £1 million next year including us bringing in 2 extra forwards, so if Brookes replaces aulika that leaves space for a 1/4 and quite a decent budget to do it. We are such a small squad, which I guess is where the leeway comes from.

thekeg (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 12:04
Quote:
MartWhit
Spend it then, before Harrison expires before our eyes.

I think the lack of genuine back up at 1 is probably the major failing in our recruitment for this year, sounds like we wanted rapava-ruskin amongst others but just didnít nail anyone down. I can see that mid year recruitment is probably even trickier though, so much more likely to be for next year. I share your concerns over Harrison workload, hopefully we give him a complete break in the Euro and LV games

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 12:08
Real shame about Aulika if he goes - a lot of talent gone to waste, seems to have got less fit the longer he's been with us. I would like to have hoped he may have recognised this problem and sorted it out himself.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 12:10
"Spend it then.."..... if only signing players was that easy!!!

thekeg (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 12:11
Quote:
Surbiton Shark
Real shame about Aulika if he goes - a lot of talent gone to waste, seems to have got less fit the longer he's been with us. I would like to have hoped he may have recognised this problem and sorted it out himself.

I think it would be more to do with his ages, heís nearly 35

MartWhit (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 14:01
any thoughts here that Tarus is as we speak being turned into a loose head given inability to sign one and current adequate resource at 3, which as the article alludes to , may be added to?

MartWhit (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 14:03
Especially with Mrs Aulika quite vociferously coming out on twitter to scotch rumours of Aulika's retirement. He may be out of contact (not clear) but he definitely isnt retiring.

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 15:33
Quote:
thekeg
Quote:
Surbiton Shark

I think it would be more to do with his ages, heís nearly 35

I stand corrected - just seen his missus have a pop back on Twitter - didnít realised he was mid 30ís, for some reason I though he was a lot younger. Mind you my point still stands about his fitness.

thekeg (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 15:43
Ha - sheís certainly pretty clear that heís not retiring.....

clutch (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 16:07
She'll have him playing till he's 50. As long as he can come off the bench, scrum for 10 mins, jackal, concede a penalty and score a try.

Olyy (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 17:31
I wouldn't be surprised to see Aulika back at London Irish - he's a bit of a club legend there.

stevene (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 21:21
Again I think we all need some perspective here. We aren't ever going to be Leicester a few years ago with an equivalent rotation to/of Ayerza, cole, Castro and mulipola all of sudden. Therefore what do we need now and next season?

Loosehead

Harrison, rightly, is our first choice loosehead now and moving forward. He will be an England international sometime soon. If we are signing a loosehead (or two)for next season (hope we are) then my guess is it will be of a similar level to the John and tarus signings last off season at tighthead.

I agree that a glaring gap in our squad for this season is a back up loosehead who can genuinely start and spell harrison regularly. Flynn may develop but isn't there yet. We should have addressed that but didn't and it may cost us if we can't get in short term cover.

As for Harrison's fitness then it is a gamble. However everyone I have ever spoken to at sale says ross is almost OTT in terms of his fitness, diet and looking after himself. Therefore if there is anyone who could manage his current workload he has over a season it's him.

Tighthead

We haven't got a top quality tighthead equal to that of our loosehead at present. That, from a starting XV POV, is an issue for next season. John and Tarus are serviceable tightheads with a good amount of potential to improve. We haven't had a top quality tighthead since cobilas left. Brookes is clearly being targeted as just that.

As for Brookes I am concerned. He seems to come with something of a rep of being injury prone and often in poor shape. If we do sign him I hope that isn't the case.

What do we actually need?

Now

Short term quality cover for Ross. Difficult to find but important.

Next season

A tier one international level tighthead
A tier two international level loosehead
A good quality championship loosehead.

clutch (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 22:21
Second row as well. Plus class centre if Van Rensberg doesn't sign.

stevene (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 09:22
Quote:
clutch
Second row as well. Plus class centre if Van Rensberg doesn't sign.

Was referring to prop but agreed. We need/ should sign mostert and van rensburg if available. If tommy Taylor is available we should also resign him as well although that may mean releasing Webber (which would be a shame). MacGinty also needs extending.

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 09:35
Much as I'd love it to be true I suspect we're just setting ourselves up for disappointment if we think Rohan will stay.

Right from the outset it was made clear why he's here, to regain match fitness. It's a mutually beneficial, short-term arrangement but I really can't conceive that at 23 he's ready to sacrifice his Springbok future yet.

thekeg (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 10:32
Quote:
ageinghoody
Much as I'd love it to be true I suspect we're just setting ourselves up for disappointment if we think Rohan will stay.
Right from the outset it was made clear why he's here, to regain match fitness. It's a mutually beneficial, short-term arrangement but I really can't conceive that at 23 he's ready to sacrifice his Springbok future yet.

Isnít there also chat about him going to Gloucester?

Crutch (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 12:54
Young, English and of mid-Premiership standard at least - sounds right in line with strategy. Only question would be how much more his wage would be compared to current crop, but I doubt it would be much more than Halani is on.

I really enjoyed Halani playing last year but if he can't shift WillGriff from the starting line up then Im not sure you can justify his space in the squad for the wage he'll be on compared to someone like Brookes.

As with everyone else its blindingly clear that we need a 1/4 but then it's also obvious to Dimes and the management team too. Therefore it must only be that anyone we considered good enough has not wanted to come. The fact that we've not rushed to get a Championship 1 means we must trust Flynn/Pope in the event of an injury to Ross, and likewise with Nott.

I also think Andrei has done excellently in Beaumonts absence and shows why we've not rushed recruitment there too. We're unsure about a combination of Evans/Beaumont and we're also lacking options at 8 with Pearce gone (I do think playing TJ and Jono there has been detrimental) so could we see Josh there more again, or moving from 5 to 8 for the last 20 when Strauss comes off?

clutch (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 13:13
I'd imagine it's difficult to be effective as an 8 for 20 mins after playing 60 in the engine room. Ross is perfectly effective at 8 it's more that without Strauss we desperately lack go forward because we don't have a like for like replacement. We will see a bit more of Moore in the LV and European games at least.

Raggs (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 09:04
Quote:
H's Dad...
Do you think Sale are now beginning an era when they will treat the salary cap as a minor accounting tribulation to be overcome with threats of legal action, like, allegedly, Wasps and Sarries?

When did Wasps allegedly break the cap and threaten legal action?

I remember when Sarries and Bath supposedly did it, and Wasps owner was the only one to stand up and demand an actual date for the investigation, rather than a vague idea that one would happen, and didn't back down like everyone else until it was given (actually if memory serves, Harlequins didn't either, but then their representative wasn't present, so didn't do much of anything).

EDIT - We were also the club to start the declarations about it not being us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2018 09:05 by Raggs.

Tenorshark (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 09:12
Quote:
Raggs
Quote:
H's Dad...

When did Wasps allegedly break the cap and threaten legal action?

I remember when Sarries and Bath supposedly did it, and Wasps owner was the only one to stand up and demand an actual date for the investigation, rather than a vague idea that one would happen, and didn't back down like everyone else until it was given (actually if memory serves, Harlequins didn't either, but then their representative wasn't present, so didn't do much of anything).

EDIT - We were also the club to start the declarations about it not being us.

There was no suggestion that Wasps were one of the teams using creative accountancy when the cap issue was/wasn't published, was there? Using creative accountancy to over and subsequently under value bonds and investments...well that may be a story for another day...but certainly not one that Prem rugby will be involved with!

stevene (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 10:20
Quote:
ageinghoody

normally i would agree with you however for any springbok which signs with a european team for 2018-19 season this issue wouldnt be as prevalent as, say, signing for 2017-18. the reason is 2019 is a RWC year and this springbok selection policy doesnt apply in RWC year. therefore, in theory, Van Rensburg could sign for a european team for 2018-19 and it wouldnt affect his selection chances in 2019. whats important for him is to break into the springbok team in the upcoming tri nations series this summer.

interestingly Mostert (who is only 27) is keen to sign for a european team for 18/19 despite being a regular springbok squad member. therefore I assume this is also his thinking. dimes has already been interviewed on BBC NW radio saying they are keen to sign van rensburg on a three year deal if he impresses during his short term stint. i assume that was a contract starting next season.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 12:34
If indeed we try ti sign RJvR, then we really should buy him out of his Super rugby contract.

If not, he'll have no off season, arrive tired and with no pre season as part of whatever our backline shapes up to be next year.

Still think he's going to gloucs though.

clutch (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 12:47
The phrase if he impresses says it all. We are clearly going to make him an offer, it would be mad not to have a punt.

I worry about the Gloucester link, but we got here first, which helps massively. If he enjoys living in Manc with Faff, and likes the coaches here that may help persuade him.

An extra 50k a year might help as well!

MartWhit (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 13:33
anyone any thoughts on whether Tarus might be retrained as a LH for the remainder of the season and next?

I think form alone doesnt account for him having dropped of the 1st XV radar for a few weeks. There's very little to choose between any of our tight heads.

stevene (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 14:11
Quote:
MartWhit
If indeed we try ti sign RJvR, then we really should buy him out of his Super rugby contract.
If not, he'll have no off season, arrive tired and with no pre season as part of whatever our backline shapes up to be next year.

Still think he's going to gloucs though.

true but not sure thats in his best interests if he wants to break into the saffer team over the summer.

however money talks and all that....

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 15:32
Buying out of contract isn't an easy process, the cost apparently being, in a broad brush sense, the 'open market value' of the player PLUS the legal costs of one/both sides if they can't agree a figure.
Was that not the end result of palaver of signing Solomona?
I'm still uncertain as to whether Sale eventually paid both side's costs or not and how those all related size-wise to the figure Castleford were demanding initially.

Obviously not a directly equivalent situation, but do we know what value Lions would place on him?
All we know is that he an excellent international quality centre who is improving, has his best years ahead of him, and is mid-contract.
Wouldn't any club wish to retain such a player at all costs? You can't just pluck such players off trees....

However, it may well all be a complete non-starter even before that is considered.
Has Rohan given any sort of an indication he would be up for it? I've not seen any at all.

Yareet (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 16:43
Quote:
H's Dad...

However, it may well all be a complete non-starter even before that is considered.
Has Rohan given any sort of an indication he would be up for it? I've not seen any at all.

Personally I found this to be an interesting quote:

Quote:
RJvR.
I'm also really excited about playing at Kingsholm as I've heard it's a very prestigious place to play.

I took it to be prep for him moving to Gloucester

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 16:50
He's no doubt also looking forward to playing at the prestigious Stade Ernest Wallon...so he must have signed for Toulouse!(Sm6)

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 18:45
Quote:
Yareet
Quote:
H's Dad...

Quote:
RJvR.
I'm also really excited about playing at Kingsholm as I've heard it's a very prestigious place to play.

Where is the rumour that he may be headed for Gloucester? I havent seen it anywhere and havent noticed anything on Shedweb, unless I missed it. Having said that, one poster today is claiming that an announcement of a new 3/4 signing is imminent.

02 January, 2018 20:35
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
Yareet
Quote:
H's Dad...

Quote:
RJvR.

Where is the rumour that he may be headed for Gloucester? I havent seen it anywhere and havent noticed anything on Shedweb, unless I missed it. Having said that, one poster today is claiming that an announcement of a new 3/4 signing is imminent.

It may be me !!!

I made the suggestion on another thread that Ackermann/ Gloucester May be interested inRJVR given his Lions connection and the article on the Offy where he states he was looking forward to playing at Kingsholm etc

thekeg (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 20:53
Think it was mentioned on the eggchasers podcast as well

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 22:45
He could probably happily do either. He played with Faf alongside Ackermann Jr and under the tutelage of Ackermann Sr. If he has a good time with us then it might help...

As for Tarus, his lack of playing time followed his having a tough time in the Quins game against Marler. Pretty sure in some mini interview thing he did online that he made reference to thinking Marler was up his own backside, so it obviously rankled! Perhaps heís been getting some technical coaching to help combat that, much like WGJ wasnít used for a few weeks after a tough outing IIRC.

02 January, 2018 22:57
If Harrison is missing for whatever reason we're up the creek without a paddle. We'll struggle if Evans is out even if Beaumont returns.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

Olyy (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 23:40
Quote:
thekeg

So it's bull plop then grinning smiley

thekeg (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 12:52
Quote:
Olyy
Quote:
thekeg

So it's bull plop then grinning smiley

Ha - I resisted saying that.....

stevene (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 13:15
Quote:
Newcastle under Lyme RUFC Shark
Quote:
Chris1850
Having said that, one poster today is claiming that an announcement of a new 3/4 signing is imminent.

It may be me !!!

I made the suggestion on another thread that Ackermann/ Gloucester May be interested inRJVR given his Lions connection and the article on the Offy where he states he was looking forward to playing at Kingsholm etc

the centre I believe is Bananaman from Bath.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net