rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Alex Wooten
emerging shark (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 17:36
Is this another local boy who got away? Starting for Munster at the moment.
from Macclesfield and went to Sedburgh.

Re: Alex Wooten
Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 20:05
Quote:
emerging shark
Is this another local boy who got away? Starting for Munster at the moment.
from Macclesfield and went to Sedburgh.

Interestingly we have Ciaran Parker there too with James Mitchell at Connacht and John O'donnell at the Ireland 7s squad

MartWhit (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 20:28
theres no reason he couldnt be re-signed if he comes on for the experience. Depends on whether he sees himself as Irish or not perhaps?

03 January, 2018 08:40
I think we missed the boat. His dad is Irish.

Buelligan (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 09:23
Perhaps there wasn't a boat to miss. If as you say he already has such strong Ireland connections.(Sm108)

ale shark (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 12:54
Can we have a Sticky "One/many that got away" thread?
(Sm100)

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 13:00
Quote:
ale shark
Can we have a Sticky "One/many that got away" thread?
(Sm100)

he actually went to the saints academy so not exactly one that got away for us

03 January, 2018 15:49
Yes he did, local boy and went to a school that we have strong links with..

thekeg (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 16:46
Sounds like hes Irish qualified and just decided, for obvious reasons, that being in Ireland would be beneficial. Doesnt really seem like hes got away from us......

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 18:04
Quote:
thekeg
Sounds like hes Irish qualified and just decided, for obvious reasons, that being in Ireland would be beneficial. Doesnt really seem like hes got away from us......
He's capped for Irish sevens now too.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 22:36
Was his potential spotted and was he placed in the EPDG system with Sale?
Might have been difficult whilst at Sedburgh and I gather he moved there when aged only 12!
I doubt there's any likelihood his potential could have been spotted in a Macc Prep school or local rugby club playing touch!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 22:42 by H's Dad....

northman (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 11:15
Would Alex Mitchell younger brother of James fit into "one that got away" category.

On another note James Mitchell seems to be getting some good game time at Connacht he's playing 2nd fiddle to Kieran Marmion and seems to get 25mins or so each game and a lot of Game time in the B&I cup,he dislocated his shoulder just before the start of the season so missed 10 weeks or so.

Matt Rogerson is having a great season apparently in Jersey and from a few rumours ive heard may be heading back to the premiership next season.

Ciaran Parker has had limited first team time at Munster(2 appearances)as the other two TH's are both Ireland Internationals,Parker has Started most games for Munster "A" in the B&I CUP,a friend of mine was at the Munster v Bedford B&I match and said Parker was a cut above the other props,he won a number of penalties at the scrum and scored Munsters only try of the game(from 2 yards out!)

Through reading some of the Irish fans sites its quite an eye opener as to how they develop players and keep them active,most players are on Academy contracts until approx 23 then they get a Development contract before a Senior contract.

The one thing i think we could learn from is the fact that most senior players will have a 2nd club,for example if JJ Hanrahan is fit but not in the matchday squad for Munster he plays for Garryowen in the UlsterBank League.

Ciaran Parker's 2nd club is Shannon so when he is not involved with the first team he plays for Shannon so he is getting game time.

I dont think Mitchell has a 2nd club as he was injured at the beginning of the season.

I think the likes of Nott,Pope,etc would benefit from this type of arrangement with Championship clubs rather than being Rugby players who dont play any rugby.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2018 11:19 by northman.

Yareet (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 12:14
Quote:
northman

I think the likes of Nott,Pope,etc would benefit from this type of arrangement with Championship clubs

Or an A league that actually happens/means anything

MartWhit (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 12:56
Interesting updates there Northman. Would welcome that regularly.

r.e. Alex Mitchell, I think he received a v good academy contract offer from Saints at an early stage of his development, with Sale in a more cash strapped era. He was likely wise to take it.

I think both Rogerson & Mitchell have every chance of making it back in the premiership. But both again probably made the right move for their own development. In particular, I'd imagine Jersey would suit Rogerson down to the ground. Hopefully, bridges not burned should either be of interest to Sale.

I think the massive promise of Moore probably sealed Rogersons departure, and thats fair enough. I'd be much happier with Mitchell acting as 3rd scrum half this year than Sturgess. Thats a bit too much of a gamble and a step up for Sturgess to me. We've been fortunate neither or our primary 9's have been injured (so far).

clutch (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 13:09
Not seen enough of Sturgess to comment.

Instead of talk of ones that got away, I prefer to look at those who come back. The Cipriani and Taylor rumours still continue.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 13:32
Both would be more than welcome back. Although, my heart would go out to AJ in those circumstances.

Yareet (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 14:14
Quote:
clutch
Instead of talk of ones that got away, I prefer to look at those who come back. The Cipriani and Taylor rumours still continue.

A mention in passing of Cips talking with us on this week's Flats & Shanks podcast.

Yareet (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 23:53
Quote:
Yareet
Quote:
clutch

A mention in passing of Cips talking with us on this week's Flats & Shanks podcast.

Or maybe not [inews.co.uk]

Lots to digest from that short article:

New stadium locations
No Yarde at the weekend (despite using him in the advertising)
No more backs signed in the foreseeable

Id argue that Marler scrummages pretty well however

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2018 23:53 by Yareet.

Crutch (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 00:06
Very interesting with regards to the potential stadiums - probably deserves a new thread of its own.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net