rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Team v Quins?
Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 13:26
As Will Addison says, this is an absolutely must win match, so who do we play?

15. For me, if JOC is going to play, this is where he should be but I'm not sure that Haley or Addison (if fit) shouldn't start....

11/14. McG has to be a shoe in and whilst Solomona seems to have lost some of his scoring magic, his defensive improvements must put him on the other wing. Perm Charnley, Odogwu or Addison on the bench

12/13 Van Rensberg is fairly certain but James has been less direct recently; Addison or Jennings might get a start

9/10 has got to Faf/MacGinty

1 Harrison then rest him after this game

2 Webber

3 ?

4 Evans

5 Big Drei

6 Ross if Strauss is fit, if not, its got to be Cam or TJ with the other on the bench

7 Ben C

8 Strauss/Ross

Re: Team v Quins?
PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 14:07
Reckon Addison likely to start if fully fit. Yarde will probably be involved somewhere, he has a point or two to make to a few at Quins.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Monty9 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 14:09
Assuming fully fit I would go with Addison at 13, the rest same as above

9. FAF
10. AJ
11. McG
12. Van
13. Addison
14. Denny
15. JOC

Comments from the weekend suggest Yarde will at very least be involved so expect him on the bench.

2007dwain (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 14:31
I would put Yarde in for Denny

MartWhit (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 14:49
It will be that same team we always put out, the same one that appeared vs Gloucs.

Only Strauss's shoulder will prevent it if he fails to recover. In which case Nield to start and TJ to bench.

Hirdyshark (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 14:55
Yeah reckon Yarde will at least be on the bench. Comments from Dimes on the Offy saying Strauss out for 3/4 weeks with a shoulder knock so should see Ross at 8.

I'd go for:
15 JOC
14 Solomona
13 Addison
12 RJVR
11 McGuigan
10 AJ
9 Faf
1 Harrison
2 Webber
3 John
4 Evans
5 Ostrikov
6 Neild
7 Curry
8 Ross

Bench: Jones, Flynn, Aulika, Nott, Ioane, Cliff, Haley, Yarde

emerging shark (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 15:47
Yarde is not available as his contract precludes him from playing against Quins this season...

MartWhit (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 16:13
we played dismally against this lot at their place, with this game being the nadir of our shamateur defensive displays, with Denny managing to be caught out with a kick over his head twice, including one spectacular effort when Sale had a 4-2 defensive advantage. The game was lost after 20 mins.

Given our current form and home advantage, I see no reason why we cant take this game. My biggest concern is a lack of muscle from us if Strauss is missing, given they will befielding the likes of Horwill, Sinkler, Luamanu, Roberts, Visser et al.

On the flip side, they'll have had a fair contingent training away with England this week, including Robshaw, Care, Smith, Sinkler & Brown. So maybe a little fatigue and lack of specific game prep.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 16:19 by MartWhit.

FarnhamShark (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 16:20
Dimes is quoted on the offy as saying Strauss is out for 3 or 4 weeks, so TJ will get more game time. A back row or Neild, Ross and Curry looks lightweight - any chance of Josh Beaumont being on the bench and coming on at 8?

MartWhit (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 16:32
its a couple of weeks early for Beaumonts reported return, but stranger things have happened. Addison certainly reappeared out of the blue last week.

03 January, 2018 17:29
Quote:
emerging shark
Yarde is not available as his contract precludes him from playing against Quins this season...

I thought that I saw a quote attributed to him saying that he was looking forward to taking them on - must have been mistaken....

Monty9 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 17:35
I agree Grumpy. Are you sure he isnít available Emerging?

03 January, 2018 17:40
Daily mail (Sm159)

Olyy (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 17:48
If Yarde is available, and feels comfortable on the right wing, I'd start him there.
McGuigan has the 11 shirt nailed down atm.
Sound like a broken record, but I hope to see Odogwu involved soon, thought he was very good on his return from injury.

Presumably a Neild, Curry, Ross backrow, with TJ on the bench - hope so anyway, TJ has been really good coming off the bench this season.

If Will is fully fit I think he'll start at 13, James in the 22 shirt (Haley 23).

Most of the team picks itself at the moment, to be fair - a good thing as it means combinations have time to gel together.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 19:32
I respectfully suggest thereís a zero per cent chance of Denny being dropped.

Iíve been wondering about Yarde. If he is eligible to play and if he is fit, itíd be tempting to start him but equally Iíd probably plump for having him on the bench. Then he can make a real impact but without the adrenaline of settling scores which might be counter-productive.

Iíd also be very surprised if Sam James disappeared out of the squad as one suggestion above has.

Iíll go for the change in the pack due to the Strauss injury (what a bummer) and an unchanged backline. If Yarde is fit and eligible, thereís an argument for having him and Will on the bench, with Haley missing out. Harsh on the latter, but what depth weíre building in the backs!

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 08:57
Same starting XV for me (bar Strauss)

Yarde on the bench but as it's against his old club get him on with at least 20 to go.

Pre match motivation should be easy - make the squad watch the last game we played against them............

Quins I've noticed really don't fire without Care at the moment and will miss Robshaw/Brown so we really need to get a good performance out after losing out to Gloucs and continue our good progress.

thekeg (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 09:45
Wonít Quins have all their England players....?

04 January, 2018 09:48
Quote:
thekeg
Wonít Quins have all their England players....?

Thought someone mentioned above about England players training?

MartWhit (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 10:00
The ENG players will presumably play at the weekend, but wont be training with Quins during the week.

stevene (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 10:01
if beaumont isnt fit wouldn't mind Sam Moore getting the 8 shirt in Strauss's absence. Possibly the most like for like replacement. Likely to be TJ in a straight swap for Strauss I imagine. Whilst Ross can play 8 I dont think he is dynamic enough as a ball carrier at 8. He has the complete skill set for a 6 and would leave him there. I also think TJ is a better impact sub than starter.

I also think Yarde is available and certainly has been quoted as looking forward to playing them. I can certainly see the rationale in starting him with McGuigan dropping to the bench.

i dont think this would be a bad game for addison to rotate with James at 13. whilst addison isnt as defensively sound as james at 13 he does have the x factor. however lets hope he is fully fit.

for me:

JOC
Yarde
Addison
Van Rensburg
Solomona
AJ
De Klerk
Harrison
Webber
WGJ
Evans
Ostrikov
Ross
B Curry
Moore (but probably TJ)

James
McGuigan
Cliff
Flynn
Nield
Aulika
TJ (/Moore)
Nott

45jumper (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 10:22
I'd be tempted to put Sam Moore in and leave Ross at 6. It chances the dynamic of our team considerably if Neild plays at 6 and it means that we lose a ball carrier. I'd sooner have Ioane there.

JOC, Solomona, James, Van Rensburg, McGuigan, MacGinty, De Klerk
Harrison, Webber, John, Evans, Ostrikov, Ross, Curry, Moore

Subs - Jones, Flynn, Aulika, Nott, Ioane, Cliff, Addison, Yarde/Charnley

04 January, 2018 12:39
We need to be rotating the forwards not the backs.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

Crutch (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 13:36
True, but we have more options in the backs.

I'd go with Stevene's team.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 19:21
One thing is for certain - I really hope that Marcus Smith doesnít catch the eye. Hopefully we can sort that by virtue of pressuring him.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 02:24
Yareets post in The Alex Wooton thread referencing this article, would suggest that emerging was just about right. Yarde not precluded by contract, but a gentleman's agreement. He will not play.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Yonah (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 08:09
Moore, Odogwu, Postlethwaite and Langdon all named in Fylde squad this weekend. Dual registered players. Fylde are struggling in the league this season

MartWhit (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 09:23
I saw that too. I think these are newly dual registered? or have moore and Postlethwaite been playing regularly?

ale shark (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 09:30
If the club had an agreement to not play Yarde, and intended to honour that agreement, then using Yarde to market the match is frankly p!ss poor behaviour and could come across as false advertising. Heís still shown on the banner pictures on twitter despite having no involvement in the game.

Might as well stick a picture of the whole England team on there as thereíll be more of them partaking in the game than what the club are currently advertising.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 12:06
Neild at 6 and Ross at 8. Otherwise the same 15 as last week

Crutch (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 12:25
Disappointing to see no Moore and TJ still consigned to the bench. He may be a good impact player but he's a better 6 than Neild.

camshark (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 13:13
Moore is starting for Flybe on Saturday

05 January, 2018 13:17
O ye have little faith. Told you Yarde was not available..

Yareet (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 13:17
Quote:
camshark
Moore is starting for Flybe on Saturday

Pilot or cabin crew (Sm143)

05 January, 2018 13:21
Quote:
Crutch
Disappointing to see no Moore and TJ still consigned to the bench. He may be a good impact player but he's a better 6 than Neild.

Not when his pick up and drives on his own normally result in a penalty to the opposition for the subsequent holding on. Gets a bit tiring after a few seasons....

clutch (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 13:35
Slight exaggeration Surbiton.

They are different players who offer different benefits rather than being a case of who is better.

I personally agree with the selection. Neither have been great this season to be honest.

Moore will get ample chance to impress the next few games.

Yareet (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 13:37
Quote:
ale shark
If the club had an agreement to not play Yarde, and intended to honour that agreement, then using Yarde to market the match is frankly p!ss poor behaviour and could come across as false advertising. Heís still shown on the banner pictures on twitter despite having no involvement in the game.
Might as well stick a picture of the whole England team on there as thereíll be more of them partaking in the game than what the club are currently advertising.

Especially as there are pictures knocking around of Ross in his Quins Academy days

Olyy (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 14:20
Had no idea Jono was in the Quins academy!

Bizarre choice to use Yarde so extensively in the marketing knowing that he won't be playing

Like the side, anyway. Think I'd have rather had Ioane starting, but other than that it's a goodun

Crutch (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 15:30
Quote:
clutch
Slight exaggeration Surbiton.
They are different players who offer different benefits rather than being a case of who is better.

I personally agree with the selection. Neither have been great this season to be honest.

Moore will get ample chance to impress the next few games.

I suppose you're right that Moore may play in the euro games instead.

I don't think TJ has had a single league start and almost all of his game time has been at 8 so not really fair to judge in my opinion. MoM against England with limited game time tells me that we're not making the best use of him.

thekeg (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 17:50
He hasnít played much, but when he has appeared I donít think heís helped himself. Made some significant efforts towards the end against Exeter, which might explain why heís not been selected recently

05 January, 2018 18:14
Does anyone actually know that Yarde wasn't in line to play?

He is in the process of recovering from injury and may have failed a fitness test.

Furthermore, Addison's return may have knocked him down the pecking order.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 18:23
Yes, we do. Gentlemen's agreement that he wouldn't play this season vs Quins when we signed him. Dimes has indicated that clearly in the press and confirmed he won't be breaking his promise.

Olyy (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 18:30
Quote:
thekeg
He hasnít played much, but when he has appeared I donít think heís helped himself. Made some significant efforts towards the end against Exeter, which might explain why heís not been selected recently

I think he's a victim of not being EQP, to be honest.
We need to average 15 EQP over the season to qualify for the rfu payment,
We've got Evans, Ostrikov, Strauss, Faf, AJ, Byron, Rohan, JOC and one or both of Aulika and Taurus in our first choice 23 so it really takes the numbers down.
Don't think it's any coincidence that Rohans arrival has seen Ioane drop out of the 23 completely.

thekeg (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 18:38
Quote:
Olyy
Quote:
thekeg

I think he's a victim of not being EQP, to be honest.
We need to average 15 EQP over the season to qualify for the rfu payment,
We've got Evans, Ostrikov, Strauss, Faf, AJ, Byron, Rohan, JOC and one or both of Aulika and Taurus in our first choice 23 so it really takes the numbers down.
Don't think it's any coincidence that Rohans arrival has seen Ioane drop out of the 23 completely.

Fair point, but still donít think heís been great when he has played, but you could argue lack of game time hasnít helped that.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net