rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Van Cannonball!!
12 January, 2018 22:24
Am I right in thinking, unless he plays in the Anglo Welsh games ( unlikely) then tomorrow could be his last appearance at AJ Bell ?

The next Prem home game is Saracens on 16/2, with the Lions kicking off their season the following day - 17/2.

He’s going to be a massive loss not only for the team but for the instant cult status he is acquiring with the fans. It literally won’t be the same without him !!

He’s got to be number 1 priority signing for next season

Re: Van Cannonball!!
Sailing Shark (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 23:44
From the iffy on Tuesday: [www.salesharks.com]

Did I read this too optimistically or is it a job application?

He even gets his name in the bye-line!

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 00:26
Far too optimistically!
You might try start humming "when you wish upon a star...." and if your nose starts to shrink markedly then maybe....otherwise NO!
The Lions have been in back to back SuperRugby finals: one of the best sides in the Southern Hemisphere. Why would they release him? Why would he leave?

andyrobo1811 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 06:30
Quote:
H's Dad...
Far too optimistically!
You might try start humming "when you wish upon a star...." and if your nose starts to shrink markedly then maybe....otherwise NO!
The Lions have been in back to back SuperRugby finals: one of the best sides in the Southern Hemisphere. Why would they release him? Why would he leave?

Money?!

Crutch (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 07:39
Break the bank.

yukon (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 08:42
Quote:
Crutch
Break the bank.

Absolutely, 100% agree.

Yareet (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 09:25
Quote:
H's Dad...
Far too optimistically!

Same reasons they’ve released Faf, Ackermann and Ackermann

Olyy (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 10:33
Quote:
Newcastle under Lyme RUFC Shark
Am I right in thinking, unless he plays in the Anglo Welsh games ( unlikely) then tomorrow could be his last appearance at AJ Bell ?
The next Prem home game is Saracens on 16/2, with the Lions kicking off their season the following day - 17/2.

He’s going to be a massive loss not only for the team but for the instant cult status he is acquiring with the fans. It literally won’t be the same without him !!

He’s got to be number 1 priority signing for next season

This one of the most depressing posts I've read in a while sad smiley
I didn't realise the super rugby season was so soon, I thought we had him until about Easter for some reason

13 January, 2018 19:35
My eldest lad reckons Yarde has posted something on social media saying that Van Cannonball is on his way back to S Africa this weekend???

Depressed if true

Olyy (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 19:39
Yup, was just coming on here to say.
Leaves tomorrow apparently sad smiley

13 January, 2018 19:46
Top 6 if he was with us for the rest of the season. Now with AJ out as well not so sure.

I’ll say it again - his signing got to be number 1 priority for next season

MartWhit (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 19:53
without those 2, do we have the tools to finish top 6 this year?

If not, we should recruit, because the rest of the team is good enough to deliver top 6 with some help.

13 January, 2018 20:20
I don’t think we have Mart. Couple of new signings will lift the place and hopefully keep the momentum going. Otherwise season could just peter out. Let’s go get Kuridriani !!!

Sailing Shark (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 21:36
Looked like it was 'goodbye' as he left the pitch.

Let's hope it is 'au revoir'.

yukon (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 21:58
I literally love his contribution, it cannot be lost on the powers that be

Crutch (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 21:59
Would have been nice if the club had announced this - they must have known. He went off to applause anyway but I'm sure it would've been a lot more if the crowd had been made aware.

Also sad that his last experience at the club was in front of such a poor crowd - not something to help sway a possible future decision.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 22:04
absolutely crutch.

Its been a great stint for both parties, lets celebrate it properly.

clutch (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 22:35
The tannoy dufus could have announced it. I'm sure he understands the crowd issue with the second tier European comp

Crutch (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 22:46
Of course he understands it - but it doesn't give the best impression of a club to make him really want to come back does it? Of course if we qualify for the top tier for next year then it would be largely irrelevant, but I'm worried about making that without him around.

Any news on when Leota is back?

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 22:53
Oh no!! I thought he'd still be here for the Saints game.

Thanks Rohan for a short but brillantlly exciting few weeks. I hope we'll see you again very soon..and not in an opposition shirt!

Have a great Super Rugby season

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2018 22:54 by ashtonshark.

14 January, 2018 08:21
Between us and Gloucester to sign him next season according to The Rugby Paper. Fissler seems to hint that we are the favourites to sign him at this stage.

Fingers crossed

thekeg (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 10:03
Quote:
Crutch
Of course he understands it - but it doesn't give the best impression of a club to make him really want to come back does it? Of course if we qualify for the top tier for next year then it would be largely irrelevant, but I'm worried about making that without him around.
Any news on when Leota is back?

Leota back in April I think, but given the nature of the injury I think it will take him a while to be back up to speed. It will then be the end of the season.....

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 10:54
Leota will be desperate to get back on the field and put in some impressive performances: it will be his brief shop window to attract offers from other clubs for next season.

thekeg (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 11:08
Quote:
H's Dad...
Leota will be desperate to get back on the field and put in some impressive performances: it will be his brief shop window to attract offers from other clubs for next season.

Yes I agree that seems like the likely scenario. Don’t see us retaining him

MartWhit (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 11:10
all this could disappear in a puff of smoke if his form continues with the Lions and he gets back in the Springbok XV.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 11:18
Did all this ever really appear? All just speculation/wishful thinking from us isn't it?. I have no doubt we have been doing everything we can to convince him to stay/come back, but this was always about getting some games in and rediscovering form for the Super rugby season from his point of view.
If he doesn't look like getting near the Springboks then we might convince him, even more so if someone leapfrogs him in Lions pecking order. If he re,mains first choice at Lions then all we could do is throw large bags of money at him, not necessarily a bad idea, but I'm not sure it's a route the club wants to go down.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

MartWhit (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 11:36
moneywise the Prem (even Sale) can trump Super rugby.

However, we arent going to overcome the lure of Springbok selection. If he's even in the frame I doubt he'll leave.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 11:40
Next season is a World Cup year and the Springboks allow for selection from any country in WC years. If he cements his place in the team this season, which I am sure he will, he will still be able to be selected playing for us. With Faf and maybe more here, plus others in the Prem I imagine players over here will still have a good chance of been selected in 2019.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 12:53
Poynters it always was, and is, about VR coming back to Sale after fulfilling his contract at Lions.
When a foreign club has been good enough to release an international quality player to get some valuable gametime before their season starts the last thing you want to do is to upset them and break the agreement. Sale would probably never be able to get such a player on loan from many other clubs as well. Huge reputational damage.
He has no doubt been made a very attractive, and perhaps appealing, offer but now it's up to him.
I'm not sure exactly when his contract ends, but if it's only till the end of the upcoming Super14 season, that isn't that long to wait for an answer.

23Shark (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 09:08
There's a farewell interview on the Offy, could of things jumped out which look positive although I'm not holding my breath!

[salesharks.com]

Quote:
"I'm excited for my future wherever it is. If it's with the Lions, if it's with Sale… I know it's going to be the right decision whatever does happen."

23 January, 2018 09:53
I inferred that he was open to offers from clubs in France & England.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

Crutch (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 12:17
Certainly indicates he's not tying himself to SA for international consideration. Let the bidding war begin.....

Olyy (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 16:31
As Monty mentioned above: SA can select from outside of the country during a World Cup year.
If he has a big super rugby season, and establishes himself as a Springbok during the Rugby Championship/summer tour, he can move to the NH at the end of the year and still play in the RWC

I think the title of the article is a bit suggestive compared to what is actually in the article. The "fair well...for now" compared to him saying he'd consider moving back to England or France in the future.

Crutch (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 21:51
It's an interview for the club though so it's bound to have a favourable spin

stevene (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 10:47
I think with the reference to France in the article I would imagine a cross reference to sporting films would simply be "show me the money".

ultimately he will do what he thinks is best for his career and earnings during that career. clearly he has enjoyed being at sale so it gives us a good chance of re-signing him but if

a) a club in france offers him 20% more
b) he thinks by sticking around and getting in the SA squad might improve his career and earnings in the medium to long term

then he isnt just going to sign because he liked his time here.

if we want him (which I suggest we do) then we need to stump up the cash like we did with Faf and Strauss.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 12:32
One thing I've learned relatively recently is that players don't tend to discuss financial remuneration and contracts with each other.
However if they share the same agent you would expect RVR to say something similar to the press from what I think his position is, that of far preferring to return to Sale Sharks IF he leaves the Lions.
A great working environment is much sought after, but so is maximising an opportunity in a short career.

stevene (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 12:59
Quote:
H's Dad...
One thing I've learned relatively recently is that players don't tend to discuss financial remuneration and contracts with each other.
However if they share the same agent you would expect RVR to say something similar to the press from what I think his position is, that of far preferring to return to Sale Sharks IF he leaves the Lions.
A great working environment is much sought after, but so is maximising an opportunity in a short career.

what Faf was offered by sale is pretty much all over the SA press.

equally a players agent isn't really doing his job, shared clients or not, if he isnt getting his client the 'market rate'.

players probably dont talk about money. agents (shared or not) certainly do as its a competitive world and if you have got your client a better deal then its going to be 'leaked' in either the press or via word of mouth.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 13:14
Do you always believe what's printed in the press is accurate stevene?
Sometimes gross exaggerations are made, as in many other forms of advertising.
If you think about it the large figures bandied about for FAF in SA were in everybody's interest to a greater or lesser extent: SA, Lions, FAF, Dimes and S.S.
In those circumstances the actualité is often somewhat different.
I'm pretty sure agents also slightly exaggerate what they have achieved for each of their players to each other as well. It puts them in a better light and it helps all of them keep the pressure on clubs, and thus gradually increase player's wages!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/01/2018 14:36 by H's Dad....

stevene (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 14:35
Quote:
H's Dad...
Do you always believe what's printed in the press is accurate stevene?
Sometimes gross exaggerations are made, as in many other forms of advertising.
If you think about it the large figures bandied about for FAF in SA were in everybody's interest.
In those circumstances the actualité is often different.

Firstly no I don't and the question is quite condescending as I neither live in the clouds or an impressionable minor. Hey ho, lets move on. However I do know a number of football and sports agents (part social/ part professional level) in around the north west. Therefore yes things are leaked when it suits all or some parties.

Take Sanchez in football. The leaks suited Arsenal and the player as the player probably wanted to go to city if the money on the table was equal but he, his agent and arsenal wanted the money on the table from United. [Oh and got that from every news outlet in the western world, or so it appears, this week, They all cant be wrong.].

Leaking news re Faf didnt suit us, why would it? it did suit the SA RU, Lions and the player as it basically justified him leaving SA. Clubs and unions leave that kind of stuff to agents who then, in turn, speak to the likes of Fissler. Leaking news we are interested in Singleton could be genuine or it could be, in part, a gentle shove to Tommy T.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/01/2018 14:36 by stevene.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 14:47
Apologies if it sounded condescending and for the editing above for clarity.

I think those large figures helped Dimes and S.S. as we really wanted to announce to the world a marked change in policy and in our ability to sign world class players. Until then it appears we had been struggling. It was very good press for SS.

The reason I suggested having the same agent might be significant is obvious. That agent would have absolute certainty of exactly what was achievable. No need to work out if some figures were just rumours.
Ignoring that sounded condescending in your initial reply!

Fully agree with your last sentence.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 24/01/2018 15:41 by H's Dad....

23Shark (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 15:20
Re the Sanchez stuff, 500/600k a week was widely circulated whereas one of the press accounts generally in the know said it was actually 300k not too dissimilar to what Pogba is on.

The press always exaggerate Utd's finances because they're the club everyone loves to hate.

stevene (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 15:56
Quote:
23Shark
Re the Sanchez stuff, 500/600k a week was widely circulated whereas one of the press accounts generally in the know said it was actually 300k not too dissimilar to what Pogba is on.
The press always exaggerate Utd's finances because they're the club everyone loves to hate.

very OTT re Sanchez but what I read was a salary of 300-350k per week, I assume including bonuses. However when you take into account the £20m in signing on fees spread between him and his agent, thats circa 100k per week spread over the 4.5 year deal. I believe Pogba is on 300k a week and Sanchez is rumoured to be on slightly more. therefore more like 400-450k a week over the life of his contract. where the additional elements come from, from reading the torygraph, guardian and evening standard, is the £30m transfer fee (or the value of the lad who went in exchange which Utd paid 30m for originally). Thats another 130k per week (over equivalent to over 4.5 years) to sign him 6 months early and when totalling up the deal more in the region of 500-600k per week you reference over the lifetime of his contract. At 34 when his contract expires he won't have much value at the end of it either.

Unfortunately that translates into press land as Sanchez is getting 500-600k a week. It is, however, costing Utd that over the life of his contract.

The press lapped it up due to a combination of intrigue (eg he's rumoured to have been signing for City for over 12 months) and the fact he was available on a free in the summer (and therefore 130k cheaper per week).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/01/2018 15:58 by stevene.

stevene (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 16:07
Quote:
H's Dad...
Apologies if it sounded condescending and for the editing above for clarity.
I think those large figures helped Dimes and S.S. as we really wanted to announce to the world a marked change in policy and in our ability to sign world class players. Until then it appears we had been struggling. It was very good press for SS.

The reason I suggested having the same agent might be significant is obvious. That agent would have absolute certainty of exactly what was achievable. No need to work out if some figures were just rumours.
Ignoring that sounded condescending in your initial reply!

Fully agree with your last sentence.

I agree it does help having the same agent, no need for them to gossip then. Not they often need any encouragement!

thanks for the PM and apology and likewise re my original reply.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 19:51
If RJVR ‘s not viable, maybe Francois Venter could be an option. You’d hope we had a bigger draw than Warriors...
[www.rugbypass.com]

Also, RJVR hasn’t started the Lions’ first two matches but came off the bench. If that’s a selection issue, as in someone is being picked ahead of him then it may and any incoming offers. Here’s hoping!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/02/2018 19:57 by StalyShark.

clutch (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 00:15
That doesn’t reduce the likelihood of Gloucester though.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 11:40
Quietish game for the Lions yesterday, one good break from the 15 min highlights I saw.
Mostert played in the back row and looked good.
If Webber doesn't resign and we are raiding the Lions then Malcolm Marx could like Manchester more than his namesake.
Schoeman also played for the Bulls but highlights didn't show him much so still no idea about him.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 12:03
Mostert in the back row tells you everything about the kind of lock he is. Very much Paterson mould.

clutch (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 13:21
I want Van Cannonball to play as badly as possible

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 13:22 by clutch.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 06:42
Quote:
clutch
I want Van Cannonball to play as badly as possible

Seems like the highlights I saw didn't do him justice as he's in a team of the week:
"Inside centre: Rohan Janse van Rensburg (Lions)

A stout performance in his first start for the Lions since sustaining a knee injury in round eight, 2016.

Had nine carries for 106 metres, broke five tackles, made a linebreak and four tackles."

It's the broke five tackles we need.

clutch (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 07:34
I’d take 106m without breaking any tackles.

23Shark (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 11:13
He's playing on the wing for the Lions in their latest match, maybe that's why we're trying to sign him?

[www.planetrugby.com]

StalyShark (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 16:02
Quote:
23Shark
He's playing on the wing for the Lions in their latest match, maybe that's why we're trying to sign him?
[www.planetrugby.com]

Let's hope he's been moved there because they kmow he's coming to us and want the other fella established at 12!

yukon (IP Logged)
16 March, 2018 08:51
Quote:
StalyShark
Quote:
23Shark
[www.planetrugby.com]

Let's hope he's been moved there because they kmow he's coming to us and want the other fella established at 12!

I don’t think there’s any doubt he’s leaving the Lions, it’s just where he ends up. I hate to say it, I think he’ll end up at Glos

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net