rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Irish game
Flumpty (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 15:48
HT LI 3 S10

Try Strauss

Biggest talking point from first half. What's happened to Josh beard?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2018 15:51 by Flumpty.

Re: Irish game
ashtonshark (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 15:50
Should have had a bp with the amount of possession and territory we've had. We've butchered so many chances

Flumpty (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 15:53
Quote:
ashtonshark
Should have had a bp with the amount of possession and territory we've had. We've butchered so many chances

If they use plenty of sticky spray at half time, they could run away with this.
Josh Charnley has won a couple of 5mt scrums for us so far.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 15:55
Total domination and only 7 points up makes me very nervous

clutch (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:02
Yeah. Definitely nervous but we are so dominant that hopefully they will tire and gaps appear! Beard has been gone a while

Flumpty (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:12
Quote:
clutch
Yeah. Definitely nervous but we are so dominant that hopefully they will tire and gaps appear! Beard has been gone a while

Who's stealing the players beards?

Flumpty (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:13
Does that banner in the corner really say Poo Corner?

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:16
Ireland win 56-19.

Oh, sorry wrong game.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:22
Chranley has been good today. 2 good breaks and 2 follow throughs that gave us a 5m scrum and just now them a 5 metre scrum.

Olyy (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:22
Best I've seen Charnley play in a Sale shirt, roaming away from his wing far more than he has done in the past and his kick chasing has been very good.

As talented as Luke James and Will Addison are I think we're desperately missing some bulk in the midfield - we've no crashball option at all in the backs. Think Luke James definitely doesn't look out of his depth as an 18yr old, as well.

Scrum has gone well, too - Will Griff John has grown into this season massively, he's been a great pickup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2018 16:23 by Olyy.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:25
This is pretty turgid stuff from sale. Really poor this half

Olyy (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:27
Second half discipline issues making a return.

Elsewhere in the prem Newcastle got nothing from Saracens and Tigers are currently losing (no BP) vs Gloucester, so a win today would see us 6th.

Worcester beat Exeter at Sandy Park, as well! 5-6, (0-6 HT) so doesn't sound one for the ages, but that's a hell of a result for them.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:31
Conditions making for poor games elsewhere too. Also the commentator for the betting site must be a new convert to rugby.

buelligansmate (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:33
Quote:
Flumpty
Yes it really does

clutch (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:45
Addison just isn't a centre imho.

10 February, 2018 16:45
Jones yellow

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:46
Quote:
buelligansmate
Quote:
Flumpty
Yes it really does

I think its a comment on Sale's play this half

StalyShark (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:52
The worst I have seen us play since Newcastle.

Flumpty (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:53
This scrum might take a while to complete!

Flumpty (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:56
Jeez, that wasn't a great advert for rugby

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2018 17:08 by Flumpty.

clutch (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:58
Excellent win!! Playing like that we normally lose. Lots of endeavour at the end. Plus, we had zero luck. Evans, Charnley and Curry another day could have easily scored and we would be waxing lyrical about a 5 point win.

Lets move on to next week.

That commentator made Buttler look good. He must have made 20 terrible errors, some borderline racist!

StalyShark (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:59
Lucky that Irish were even poorer than us. Pretty obvious that we didn't rate our backline even given the conditions. Paolo was absolutely anonymous sadly.

Olyy (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 17:01
Second half was absolutely terrible, but as above, that's a performance/game we'd usually lose - especially at Not Nots tend to be a bit of a bogey team for us.

I'll take the win, and moving up to 6th, any day.
Defence held up well, and we did attack well in places, but plenty to work on for the Sarries game

clutch (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 17:08
Who was mom? Curry?

StalyShark (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 17:13
Quote:
clutch
Who was mom? Curry?

Faf according to the offy.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 17:24
Despite my earlier pessimism defence was solid, some crucial turnovers at the death, scrum good until replacements came on but the best was probably Charnley. Strong tackles into touch and over their line, some metres made in not much space. If he could learn how to defend there, could he be a crash ball centre? We have so many wingers but not much muscle in the centres. Outside AJ, who we all know can defend. Thoughts?

clutch (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 17:41
We have too many wingers for sure but shoe horning them into the centre isnít the answer.

stevene (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 17:46
Defence was good when it needed be. We were very disappointing ball in hand.

Good individual performances from Faf, jono, charnley, Haley and curry. Starting tight five did well in the set piece.

Didn't think Addison had a good game. I do wonder whether he was trying too hard but it was all a bit frantic. While Luke James didn't look out of place in midfield we certainly missed RJVR and part of our lack of penetration was the inability to straighten the line in the backs. Good to see Jennings with a bit of a cameo at the end and he will be needed vs sarries.

I also thought the final disallowed try (charge down) was a try as thought it was their nine who knocked it on not the sale player.

Olyy (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 17:50
Quote:
clutch
We have too many wingers for sure but shoe horning them into the centre isnít the answer.
Especially as we're already doing it with Addison...

StalyShark (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 17:56
Pray that Orange, Dimes, Faf and the rest convince RJVR that the North West loves him and he loves the weather then it seems! See if he can give Luke James and Redpath some of the biltong that made him the size he is too!

thekeg (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 18:04
Thought we might regret turning down that easy 3 points before half time. Baffling decision in those conditions

clutch (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 18:05
If not Iím happy to have biltong. The more I watch the more Iím convinced Addison is not a centre. Donít mind him playing there now when we have injuries but he needs to be our first choice winger.

Never a try but the video ref didnít spot the knock on when he stood up. Based on the evidence reviewed and the question asked I think it should have been a try.

2007dwain (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 19:06
Great to get a win but poor game. Our backs look like they are very rusty

camshark (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 19:32
Every now and then you have to win ugly, as both Falcons and Chiefs did at AJBell, and England did today, not a classic but a W.
In a good position to give it a thrash for the remainder of the season, a loss today would have been demoralising. Got to give it a crack against Sarries.

Rich E (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 20:20
Given the lousy conditions, a back line lacking a few and the Irish desperate for points I'd take the four points achieved.

The pack nullified their agression and on other days we would ahve scored more tries.

Defence and teamwork was excellent. Faf performed admirably. I thought the centres lacked what we've has in recent Prem games - that's not criticing Luke james but just saying the South African just made such a massive contrbution. Addison needs to stop trying to force everything. Haley excellent, Charnley excellent, Paulo struggled positionally IMHO. Marshall continued to expolit the sidelines beautifully.

But a massive 4 points, which if they can be followed up next week with a win, then will seem invaluable.

thekeg (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 21:24
I agree the difference between our previous first choice 10-15 versus what we had today was pretty marked, partly down to quality partly down to combinations that arenít used to each other. 6 injuries and absences in the back line is pretty difficult for even the best sides and we have a pretty small squad, so when you factor that in I think we did pretty well in tricky conditions

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 21:53
Slightly o/t but will Sarries internationals be available to play for them next week?

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 23:37
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark
Slightly o/t but will Sarries internationals be available to play for them next week?
unlikely, certainly not farrell, vunipola and itoje

WiganSaler (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 08:22
Considering it was bloody cold, persisting down, swirling wind, a team lacking punch in the midfield against a team fighting for their proverbial prem lives, 4 points will do for me, very ugly but nice, great to see Charnley giving it 100%, unlucky, impressed, Still a cracking day out with fine fine people. Thank you one and all.(Sm152)

--------------------------------------------------
Wigan "Home for the Bewildered"

Fully paid up member of the LSSSSC.
"Long Suffering Sale Sharks Supporters Club"

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 09:21
A win's a win.

Saracens game: as Irish says I can't see that it's likely the England contingent will be selected. I suppose there is a chance that Kruis and Wigglesworth could be, but I don't see Farrell, Vunipola, Itoje and George having any chance.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 10:17
Sarries' line up for yesterday's game wasn't weak without them! Really hope we get back our lot and JOC and Jennings are fully fit.

Same pack as yesterday with the following:
Faf
James S
Byron/Yarde
Jennings/JOC
Addison
Denny
Haley

Harsh on Charnley but let's hope the performance upped his confidence.

Yareet (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 10:21
Given the way the table now is, Iím torn as to what would be the better result for Sale in the Quins v Wasps game this afternoon.

A Quins win leaves them just 1 point behind/level with us. Conversely Wasps are currently only 2 points in front of us.

On balance, a low scoring draw would be good.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 10:36
It's a funny points system in a way. There can be as few as four or as many as seven points on offer for each game. As you say, Yareet, a low scoring draw, or maybe a low scoring win by eight points, would do.

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 11:18
(duplicate)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2018 12:15 by Surbiton Shark.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 11:19
Depends whether our ambition for this season is top 6 or top 4. Realistically top 4 is probably a step too far so it doesn't really matter how many points Wasps get. Top 6 is very attainable so we need those behind us to fall away. Therefore a Wasps win without Quins getting a LBP is the preferred result.

11 February, 2018 11:43
Quote:
Surbiton Shark
Some reflections on the match - one of the few I've been able to make it to this season
On the positives

The entire forward pack - J Ross is so strong, when an attacking player is almost past him he has an ability to almost pick him up and throw him down. Ross H deserves some kind of medal. Ben Curry was everywhere and developing as a ball carrier. Webber took most big hits early doors but the lineout really looked solid. Struass always eager for action.

Luke James looks a real find, didn't look out of place at all. Sam James never fails to impress. Charnley really worked hard, Faf was everywhere. Paulo didn't get much to do and Haley (ball in hand) was solid and good under the high ball in pretty bad conditions. Faff's tactical kicking in the corners was absolutely terrific

Overall to get a win was great, if we could have got another try or 2 early doors I think we would have romped away - around 10 mins Faff nearly got an intercept but dropped it, we had a few good positions but lost control of the ball and Irish to be fair defended well. In the first half - Irish were in our 22 once - we really dominated.

Nott made a massive impact when he came on - at least 2 or 3 really important turnovers.

On the negatives

Jones..........as soon as he came on our lineout turned into a shambles. We always struggle to close our matches in the last 10 and it doesn't help when you setpeice goes to rat. It ain't difficult to work out the connections. The critical one which so easily could have cost us when our own throw in 5 metres out which of course went straight to the oppo - at least he got yellow carded in the following phases. We really need to think about Neild throwing in when Webber is off (and we can still have Jones on the pitch at the same time)

Haley - his kicking from hand was a shocker, he was charged down early on in the second half and it just seemed to impact his confidence - about 3 times he got the ball, one of them in particular when we were in a decent position - hoofed is straight to the oppo who just returned with interest - in the latter phases when Jones is throwing in - it's a double whammy.

Those who remember Mike Phillips delivering slow services......yesterday for some reason - and I assume this was done on purpose. Faff waited an absolute age before letting the ball go - Irish lined up all defenders, had time for a chat, before the ball came and as a result we were easy to defend about. Just seemed odd really and not suited to Faff's game. We had a lot of possession, got in the oppo 22 and then just never really went anywhere. I don't know whether it's worth trying Josh B at 8 again - when he gets a gallop on he's hard to stop but he barely gets any runs playing second row.

Thank the Lord when Irish has us under our posts down to 14 men they took a pen kick instead of a scrum as we so easily could have ended up drawing. Apparently Jono spotted that the kicking tee was already on the pitch.

Nice ground, seemed very empty, very easy to get served - car park took about 15 mins to exit! players all came over to chat to the fans lead by Jono - a very hard earned and deserved win

11 February, 2018 12:09
Maybe Swanny was running the car park marshals.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

Flumpty (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 15:05
One biggie that came from the game yesterday - why does the team (seem to be) so reluctant to get the ball to Charnley ?

He worked his socks off yesterday, but most of it was from scraps - following up from kicks through & / or pressurising opposition players. The team, and in particular Will A, don'y seem to be able/willing to create the space and get it to the wingers.

11 February, 2018 15:15
Quote:
Flumpty
One biggie that came from the game yesterday - why does the team (seem to be) so reluctant to get the ball to Charnley ?
He worked his socks off yesterday, but most of it was from scraps - following up from kicks through & / or pressurising opposition players. The team, and in particular Will A, don'y seem to be able/willing to create the space and get it to the wingers.

I think it's just the way our 10's play - both AJ and Sam like to run with the ball and pop up a pass whereas someone like Cips was an immediate distributor.

I guess also a lot of the oppo (like we do) rush the outside channels to stop the ball going wide.

I do like Charnley - I hope he stays with us and battles it out as a regular winger

MartWhit (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 15:53
re Charnley and getting the ball wide generally, we are unfortunately handicapped by Addison at 13. His lines and instinct run and then think about passing is that of a winger. But at 13 he gives too few passes and runs good lines fo rhimself but poor ones to free others.

I also think Surbiton is right that a lot of teams work extra hard against us to try to keep the ball inside. Its sensible tactics because we are quite clinical when we do get the ball outside the defence, but also quite error prone we forced to play through the forwards in midfield.

On the game overall, I take a fair amount of heart from a fairly dominant performance. Its pleasing to see powerful scrummaging with WGJ having come on massively and Beaumont showing he does have the physicality to partner Evans at lock. If we're to come out of this block of games with a reasonable amount of points, our forwards will need to keep playing to that kind of level, allied to hopefully a better balanced back line.

maccshark (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 16:15
Thanks for the detailed report Surbiton.

clutch (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 16:50
Heís not a natural 13. He can learn it cause he has a lot of positive attributes but his injury record prevents him from going so. Heís our best winger without question though.

thekeg (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 17:38
Quote:
clutch
Heís not a natural 13. He can learn it cause he has a lot of positive attributes but his injury record prevents him from going so. Heís our best winger without question though.

England selectors donít agree.....

Olyy (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 18:15
Quote:
thekeg
Quote:
clutch

England selectors donít agree.....

Six years ago, though.
That u20s crop had a ton of great back 3 players in there as well (Nowell, Daly, Yarde, Walker, Elliot, Ransom), so made sense to jiggle it around to fit more players in.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 19:01
I think keg more referring to the fact that one of our wingers is in the England squad, and it's not Addison.

Good result, another game that we would have lost at the death in previous seasons. we made hard work of it though. It should be noted that Irish defence was very solid and very aggressive, but we should have been more comfortable. Poor conditions so perhaps shouldn't have expected the ball to be chucked around too much. However, our preferred tactic of one pass to a charging forward, battering into their line didn't work at all, all game. Our solution.... try it some more. Agree on all comments above re: Luke James, looks very promising indeed, but we need Jennings fit and starting.

Re: disallowed try at the end, Curry knocked on. He charged the kick down it hit an LI player (on the back I think) bounced up towards Curry and he just nudged it forwards before touching down.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

thekeg (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 19:40
England clearly see Solomona and probably yarde ahead of him as wingers. I do prefer him on the wing and think heís a much more significant player for us out threre, I think he gets much more freedom to express himself

Olyy (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 19:45
Quote:
PoyntonShark
I think keg more referring to the fact that one of our wingers is in the England squad, and it's not Addison.
Ah, my mistake. I thought he meant Addison got selected as a centre for England

StalyShark (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 19:57
Did anyone else read too much into Dimes' comment on the offy mentioning "our" players who are missing..?

"I thought the pack played well and in the backs we were missing Marland, Denny, Byron, AJ, Rohan and James O'Connor, so our young English back-line went out and did really well.
"Overall, I was delighted with the strength in depth that was out there.

Let's hope he knows something we don't...

ale shark (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 20:04
Right now Addison is about as close to a front row call up for England as he is to anywhere in the backline. We should just worry about him putting in a run of games for Sale.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 20:22
This game was a real target for LI. I think they threw everything into preparation and matchday. We may have been scrappy and limited, but nonetheless I think we did well to ride the storm and not slip on the banana skin prepared for us.

thekeg (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 20:49
We have to take into account the conditions in assessing the performance, it was clearly very tricky. I thought in the first half the only thing we didnít do was score more points, we were totally dominant and 17/20-3 wouldnít have been an unfair reflection. Second half was more mixed, but with such a scratch back line I think we did pretty well overall

MartWhit (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 21:07
This backline has been largely in situ for the recent block of cup games, so they really arent that scratch. Inexperienced perhaps, but unfamiliar, no.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 21:21
Quote:
MartWhit
This backline has been largely in situ for the recent block of cup games, so they really arent that scratch. Inexperienced perhaps, but unfamiliar, no.

Watching the game it looked like they werenít trusted at all, Faf was purposefully giving really slow ball waiting for a forward pod; yes it was wet but his passing actually looked pretty good when he went long.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 10:10
I was there and the weather was dreadful. Too risky to fling the ball around. There was actually quite a strong wind as well as rain in our faces second half...

StalyShark (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 10:19
Quote:
emerging shark
I was there and the weather was dreadful. Too risky to fling the ball around. There was actually quite a strong wind as well as rain in our faces second half...

Forecast for Friday is balmy 5c and no rain so maybe weíll see some Barbarians style rugby,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2018 10:35 by StalyShark.

shaftesbury shark (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 10:23
I think we need to recognise that the awful conditions, plus being away to a side desperate for a win, plus being without a lot of key players made this a game where the result was everything, and how we played did not matter one bit.

I am not going to criticise the team here, they won and I think that is all that matters. Well done to them.

FWIW I do not think we would have won this game in previous seasons. We have often had a rather grim time down in Reading.

So we take the 4 points and move on to the next game sitting in 6th place. I say well done!

clutch (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 17:17
I wouldnít care if it was perfect conditions. Itís an away win. Big thumbs up regardless

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net