rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Team vs Sarries
StalyShark (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 10:02
Such a crucial game for us with our Top Six aspirations, it will be a real litmus test of how the subsequent two away games may go. A win against a still strong Sarries team and Bath and Saints away wonít seem quite as daunting, a loss and we will be in a real mid table dog fight.

The team we put out depends so much on who is coming back in and is fit. Weíre likely to get Denny and Andrei back, Byron may still be injured as could JOC and Yarde. Hopefully, theyíll be able to play some part as we did look callow in the backs. On a side note, Ouke James at 18 years old could be as good a prospect as Redpath but we havenít heard as much brouhaha about him, solid on Saturday.

Thus, team may be:

Harrison
Webber
John
Bryn
Josh
Jono
Curry
Strauss
Faf
James S
Charnley/Yarde if fit
Jennings
Addison
Denny
Haley/ JOC if fit

Jones
Flynn
Halani
Andrei/Nott
TJ
Cliff
Uninjured back 1 Yarde/Charnley
Unijured back 2 Haley/JOC

Looking forward to these next few games, letís just hope the curse of BT Sport doesnít strike again!

Re: Team vs Sarries
MartWhit (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 10:07
We've done pretty well vs Sarries in recent years. They will still have a strong side, but certainly one that we can take on with our best side, at home.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 10:15
They had a pretty decent team out at the weekend, the depth they have in the second row is unbelievable! We would love to have any of their four locks and a Skelton is exactly what we need. If we have our returnees/niggles back Iíd back us at home. The team from Saturday Iím not so sure.

Saracens: Goode; Williams, Bosch, Barritt (capt), Wyles; Lozowski, Spencer; Barrington, Tolofua, Koch, Skelton, Isiekwe, Clark, Burger, Wray.

Replacements: Spurling, Thompson-Stringer, Figallo, Earl, Vailanu, Whiteley, Malins, Earle.

shaftesbury shark (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 10:27
He'll probably have a stormer now but I don't really rate Skelton. I wouldn't have him if it was up to me.

Isiekwe on the other hand... Yes, he look's quite good :-)

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 10:46
Really need Jennings to start 12. Nott made a real impression on Sat so be good to have him on the bench.

If JOC is back would prefer him to Haley who just seems to be having too many wobbles - ditto Jones with his lineout throwing so would use Neild.

Be good to have the more physical presence of Denny or Yarde on one of the wings

Crutch (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 12:34
Jennings is not a patch on RJVR though, whoever plays we're going to suffer for a lack of gain line impact there.

Of course Sam J started the season at 12 but then largely played 13 with Will injured or 10 when required.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 12:50
Well as he's playing at 10, we miss Sam James at 13 dont we?

12 February, 2018 13:27
Jennings was going great early season and he was impressive again on his little cameo Saturday - appreciate he's not RJVR but wouldn't totally agree he's not a patch on him

Think the team need to be clear on Jennings role. He's often used as a decoy or he seems to get the ball and tries to pass. If he literally just boshes up the middle no questions, no hesitation and we use him a bit more then I think it would benefit the team. His record of injuries however leaves us pretty short with absolutely no sign of Leoto playing for us again!

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 13:41
Quote:
StalyShark
Such a crucial game for us with our Top Six aspirations, it will be a real litmus test of how the subsequent two away games may go. A win against a still strong Sarries team and Bath and Saints away wonít seem quite as daunting, a loss and we will be in a real mid table dog fight.

Totally agree that this is a really crucial game, so despite the fact that it's on a Friday, it will be cold and dark and it's on TV, it would really help if as many supporters as possible come along to get behind the team.....

MartWhit (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 13:56
you didn't mention the inevitable rain?

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 14:40
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark
....this is a really crucial game, so despite the fact that it's on a Friday, it will be cold and dark and it's on TV, it would really help if as many supporters as possible come along to get behind the team.....
I don't disagree, GOS, but the three I come with made an executive decision to give it a miss - not because it's on TV, nor that it's a Friday night but rather that it's a top dollar game which is likely to be shorn of its main Saracens stars.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 15:44
Quote:
DaveAitch
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark
....this is a really crucial game, so despite the fact that it's on a Friday, it will be cold and dark and it's on TV, it would really help if as many supporters as possible come along to get behind the team.....
I don't disagree, GOS, but the three I come with made an executive decision to give it a miss - not because it's on TV, nor that it's a Friday night but rather that it's a top dollar game which is likely to be shorn of its main Saracens stars.

I think they'll only be missing their 3 starters from the game at twickenham, so Farrell, itoje and mako V not involved, but I think kruis and george might be involved.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 16:21
Quote:
Irish_Shark
Quote:
DaveAitch
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark

I think they'll only be missing their 3 starters from the game at twickenham, so Farrell, itoje and mako V not involved, but I think kruis and george might be involved.

There is also Wigglesworth who may possibly be involved, and Maitland who presumably wont.

12 February, 2018 16:28
I doubt if any of the 25 retained for the wales game will feature in the Sarries game.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

stevene (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 16:43
I would like:

Haley
Addison
JOC
Jennings
Solomona
James
De Klerk
Harrison
Webber
John
Evans
Beaumont
Ross
Curry
Strauss

Flynn
Langdon
Aulika
Ostrikov
Nott
Cliff
Charnley
Yarde

I think we will get

JOC
charnley / yarde
Addison
Jennings
Solomona
James
De Klerk
Harrison
Webber
John
Evans
Beaumont
Ross
Curry
Strauss

Flynn
Jones
Aulika
Ostrikov
Nield
Nott
Cliff
Yarde / paolo

clutch (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 17:02
I agree with both your teams stevene though I think it would be harsh to drop Charnley.

Re Jennings. Depends on how people define not a patch on.

Itís nice when looking at predictions for big games that I can safely skip the pack cause we are all in agreeement.

Crutch (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 17:28
I define it this way - RJVR is a top 4 player, he could start for any team in this league.

Jennings has come on and proved me wrong that he's a premiership standard player, but he's only a premiership starter for a 10-12 place team, and a squad player for a 5-9th place team.

All IMO of course but that's how I see it, and the gulf in performance with RJVR is there for all to see.

No problem with Jennings in the squad although long term if we're genuinely looking to top 4 I think we'd need better, even in reserve. Not all our young players will be good enough to help the club make that step - that's the dilemma of greater ambition.

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 19:03
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
Irish_Shark
Quote:
DaveAitch
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark

There is also Wigglesworth who may possibly be involved, and Maitland who presumably wont.

This weeks game is outside the RW window so we would expect to have Maitland back plus Williams will be in the frame whether Wales want him back or not.

stevene (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 19:13
Jennings may not be RJVR but our performance versus Irish showed the need for someone/ anyone to straighten our attacking line in the backs.

I agree dropping charnley is harsh but Addison is our best winger. Solomona is an England squad member and our best out and out finisher. It's not a reflection on josh but reality that when everyone is fit he is probably fourth choice at present. He needs more performances like versus Irish when he gets his chance.

The pack pretty much picks itself at present.

12 February, 2018 20:05
When was the last time Solomona scored a try?

Dis mus be da place

clutch (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 20:38
Thatís a good question. I thought Iíd try and find out on the official website. What a unrewarding farce that was.

clutch (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 20:43
Think I pretty much agree with that Crutch though Iím sure top 4 teams would have him in the wider squad, just not part of the regular 22. To be fair, heís come on massively the couple of seasons so no reason why he canít kick on. I think he needs to get bigger perhaps.

stevene (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 23:51
Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
When was the last time Solomona scored a try?

Gloucester home game I think. Scored two from memory.

Has scored 18 tries in 32 appearances so not a bad return and better ratio of appearances to tries scored than any other winger in the squad.

45jumper (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 09:42
I think JOC and Yarde are still out (and are Ostrikov/Taurus still with their countries?) so I'd go with...

Haley
Solomona
Addison
Jennings
Charnley
James
De Klerk

Harrison
Webber
John
Evans
Beaumont
Ross
Curry
Strauss

Reps
Jones, Flynn, Aulika, Nott, Ioane, Cliff, Wilkinson/Redpath, L James/Odogwu

I think we need a 5/3 split but knowing Dimes, I'm almost certain we'll go for 6/2.
We need more depth in the replacement backs - otherwise we can't/won't make tactical changes just in case someone goes down injured. Also, Jennings is just coming back from injury so it's a lot to ask from him to potentially play a full 80. I also think we need someone who's comfortable at 10 in case it isn't happening for James - and De Klerk needs to stay at 9. Harsh on either of Odogwu or L James to miss out, but necessary in my opinion.

ale shark (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 10:14
Are Wilkinson and Redpath registered to play in the league?

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 11:49
Quote:
ale shark
Are Wilkinson and Redpath registered to play in the league?

Everyone on your books is available for league games i'd imagine.

Also Denny last scored for us on the 20th of october.

15 February, 2018 12:08
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWE0TD0VQAAzY17.jpg

Dis mus be da place

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 12:50
Quote:
Irish_Shark

Maybe London Welsh imagined that too. Didn't turn out too well for them.

I suppose' on your books' could be interpreted as registered with Premier Rugby.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

clutch (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 12:56
Denny is due a cheeky hat trick

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 15:18
Quote:
PoyntonShark
Quote:
Irish_Shark

Maybe London Welsh imagined that too. Didn't turn out too well for them.

I suppose' on your books' could be interpreted as registered with Premier Rugby.

Didn't that case also have visa issues too, since most of our academy players have played some age grade rugby for the rfu, one would assume there should be no issues with the rfu

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 20:01
Sale 0-7 Saracens

Newcastetle 7-0 Bath

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 20:09
Newcastle 14-0 Bath

andyrobo1811 (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 20:25
Joke Yellow for Webber. TMO had it right

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 20:26
Sale 3-7 Saracens

Shireshark (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 20:28
Ref, you're a joker!!!! Clear forward pass for the Sarries try. 2 yards right 2 feet forward how hard is it?

"Don't play the 9". Sarries play Faf, we clear it out and he penalises us.

What's the point of guy upstairs when he tells the ref "I don't believe the actions of the 2 warrants 14s reaction". Yeah but I have to have one from each side.

Honestly!!!

Total joke.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 20:33
Sale 3-10 Saracens

Newcastle 21-0 Bath

Half time.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 21:00
Sale 3-13 Saracens

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 21:05
Newcastle 26-7 Bath, try bonus for Newcastle.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 21:34
Big opportunity tonight, but if we're honest we were never at the races. We had simply desperate skill levels whenever they were really needed. Jennings and Haley particularly poor individual contributions. Thought the whole thing looked tighted and more composed with Nield & Cliff on.

And throughout we were outthought and, outside of the scrum, outmuscled.

Pearce wasnt great as ref, but we played him terribly and Sarries played him like a fiddle. Big difference in street wisdom between the teams.

We arent top 4 material. Our only real top 6 attribute is sheer cussedness.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 21:36
Final score, Sale 3-13 Saracens

Olyy (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 21:37
Disappointing to come away with nothing,
Sarries defence was outstanding, Even on a line break we'd run into several defenders.
Combine that with our poor handling and it was an incredibly frustrating match

16 February, 2018 21:39
Too many errors, too little physicality. Beaumont & Ostrikov anonymous, Ross gives too many silly pens away. Front row battled really well and Curry made some yards. Other than that.....

Dis mus be da place

davsharkMKII (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 21:40
Sarries completely in control and without being impressive they've won easily, can't really complain about that.

Sale could've been a lot closer, but while we remain incapable of holding on to the ball we won't compete against the top sides...ball retention tonight was dire.

We played the whole game seemingly trying to out-power their forwards on the gain line...daft at best.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
Newcastle 29-7 Bath, latest score

MartWhit (IP Logged)
and boy do we need a fly half. Against a smart defence James was a rabbit in headlights. Sarries put him exactly where they wanted every time.

Whereas He might have given us much stronger passing and physicality at 13.

2007dwain (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 21:44
If we ainít knocking the ball on we are doing pointless grubber kicks for nothing

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 21:48
I suppose it shows the gulf between Saracens and the likes of Sale. Saracens had (was it) six international players out and a further five, arguably first choice, players injured but still managed to look the more cohesive unit.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 21:58
Tell you what, Big Jim & Alex Sanderson were impressive breaking down our performance and the game.

16 February, 2018 22:10
Looked miles better when Cliff came on and concentrated 100% of getting that ball out Quick. Much as I love our Faff his style of look himself first plus a sometimes shocking pass works against us. Thought Jennings looked as though he was completely out of place, Haley - error upon error. Really need JOC back

Ben Curry is playing some mighty impressive rugby, as a 19 he is turning into a standout performer week in and week out. Ross really didnít get on well with the ref.

Fair result really they just controlled us and we played into their hands till Cliff came on

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 22:14
Thought it was a good game with both side defences doing themselves proud. Felt that Sales attack was just shy of making the breakthroughs you needed. Young Curry was exceptional. Seemed to be all over the field.

Best of luck for the rest of your season.

clutch (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 22:23
Really good summarising from Mart. I was disappointed by the ref setting up to allow Sarries to do what they want. However we were battered. Up front they are just miles better. This puts extra pressure on the backs and that told. Not helped having to play Friday nights either and with BT. Having said that it was just a horror try from then which was the differerence. Thought Yarde was poor defensively.
Curry class though I agree. Strauss was good. A massive reality check and clear we have few top 4 players.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 22:33
Gulf in class was all too apparent.

Aside from one good running line from Williams they did nothing much and yet cruised to an easy victory never getting out of 3rd gear. They just did the basics well. Retained possession, made very few errors and constantly got over the gain line.

We were the total opposite. Error strewn, incapable of holding onto the ball and out muscled up front. Same old story I'm afraid. At one point I though the big screen was broken and that it was stuck on 'Knock On'. But then it did change....to 'Not Releasing'!!

I get the feeling if we had sneaked a try they would have just up their game for 5 mins and pulled away again without too much trouble.

We were defensively pretty sound but that's all. Reality check after tonight and hanging on for a narrow win last week against the bottom side who have only won 1 game. Bottom 6 not top 6 I'm afraid

clutch (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 22:48
Two appalling decisions by the ref cost us a man advantage and 3 points. Could have been different. Why was Webber binnned. That in the side before was bizarre as well when Burger clearly played the 9. We would have lost anyway but some of the decisions against us this year have been baffling. We need a bit of help against teams better than us and both sarries and chiefs the two best teams have had appalling decisions in their favour.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 23:01
Quote:
Two appalling decisions by the ref cost us a man advantage and 3 points.
That's always an easy get out, though. Look what happened last week at Harlequins. Any decision/incident makes a difference, but the result isn't always what one might expect.

LJK (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 23:04
Apart from the so nearly try attempt in the first few minutes, a successful one never looked like happening all evening. Sarries showed their class even with so many players missing. No lack of effort on our part, and surprised that the replacements didn't come on till late with all that tackling that had to be done.

clutch (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 23:14
Not an easy get out. Just a fact. Like I said we wouldnít have won anyway but at least we would have had a fair crack. Sarries are awesome. As hinted they could have gone up a level sadly they didnít need to. Itís the kind of game thatís hard to get over. We just looked second best in most areas. AJ would have made a difference but it was far more than that in the end. Canít believe Schalk wasnít mom. What a player heís been. Pleasure to watch him and also an indication that as good as Ross is, when we get to this level heís not quite good enough.

bonnery (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 23:21
Disappointed. Big players were poor or anonymous. Lost the kicking game, couldn't get any change up front and looked dangerous a few times only to butcher it.

I would like to stop dead the moaning about the yellow cards. Neither player deserved yellow. Nothing in any of it at all. "This isn't soccer". Words like "disgraceful" about that decision. I wonder what those same people were saying a few days ago when Wales fans couldn't let a decision go? We're better than that...or should be.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 23:21
It was commented pre-match, somewhere on here, that Saracens bench wasn't overly strong, which was probably why it wasn't used at all till the last few minutes (unless I missed an early one).

For me, everyone was trying his best, and they all put a lot of effort in. Overall the opposition were better, and most often when that's the case the better side wins. Of the back five in the pack Curry was most noticeable, as I think everyone else has said.

By the way, how many times has anyone seen a kick hit the crossbar, bounce on the ground then hit the crossbar again. Had it gone over at the second attempt would it have counted? (The answer is, I'm pretty sure, no. I don't think it can hit the ground or one of the kicker's own side.)

StalyShark (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 08:26
We were completely outmuscled on the gain line whereas they consistently made ground and retained the ball, we could do neither. If there was ever a time when RJVR was needed it was last night. Jennings, coming back from injury in a phased return was pretty anonymous other than a charge down around the 22; Just not good enough atm to be a top six 12 especially with an inexperienced 10. Dimesí post match interview bemoaned the lack of a proper 10, I wonder how much heíll up any contract offer to DC by next week? We havenít heard about any resigning of AJ as yet (2 years in 2016) and with Haley rumours (didnít do himself any favours tonight) pointing to JOC at 15 weíll need two proper 10s. DC and AJ strike me as quite a complimentary partnership with their different skills and personalities.

thekeg (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 08:28
On an individual level I can understand itís hard on Webber, but when thereís a huge melee I can understand the logic that they need to bin one from each side to send a message. That sort of decision making has been around for a long time

clutch (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 09:01
Sure if someone does something. As bonnery said it shouldnít have been a yellow for either really. It was only a little shove.

thekeg (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 09:25
Reality is that if it results in a huge pile in the referees are clearly under instruction that they need to pick out one from each team. It wasnít so much the initial pushing it was where it ended up and the powers that be donít want people to see that, particularly on tv.

I personally like a bit of a flare up, but thatís the way the game is heading

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 09:28
From a Sarries fan, Webber was unlucky with that yellow card, Williams on the other hand, ran 10 metres for no apparent reason and decided to shove a sale player causing a potential nasty brawl which you don't want to see really so Williams with a moment of madness definitely deserved a yellow card, it's always tough to beat Sale at the AJ Bell Nd I believe if Sale could sign another world class player like James O'Connor they would be extremely dangerous, best of luck for the rest of the season you deserve to finish in top 6 this season, maybe next year you'll be up there in the top 4!

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 09:32
Still trying to figure out why we took Strauss off when we had to bring Jones on for a scrum following Webber's binning

It was a forwards dominated game where we where getting bullied up front but had parity in the scrum. Strauss was possibly our most effective ball carrier. They lost a winger so why didn't we match up with them and take a back off.

Unsurprisingly from the scrum that prompted the change they overpowered us and got the penalty that took us out of BP range

Seemed like an odd decision

thekeg (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 09:41
It seems to be conventional wisdom that back rowers are the easiest to cover for 10 mins, Strauss tends to be subbed after 60/65 mins, so I guess that was the logic . Losing an outside back can leave a bigger defensive hole if you get stretched,

Olyy (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 10:10
Dimes saying we have no 10 option while Quade Cooper is playing amateur club rugby in Queensland!
If we didn't try and bring him in as a medical joker then that's crazy.

17 February, 2018 10:20
Actually in the first scrum after the cards Solomona was on the flank and we won a pen. iirc. It was the next scrum which was 7 v 8. I agree they should have taken Haley or Yarde off.

What Sarries do well is to shield the ball carrier close up when they take it up and they also slow the ball semi-legally by always having an arm or leg in the way rather than a whole body which is easily pinged.

Dis mus be da place

StalyShark (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 10:27
Quote:
Seany_Boy0511
From a Sarries fan, Webber was unlucky with that yellow card, Williams on the other hand, ran 10 metres for no apparent reason and decided to shove a sale player causing a potential nasty brawl which you don't want to see really so Williams with a moment of madness definitely deserved a yellow card, it's always tough to beat Sale at the AJ Bell Nd I believe if Sale could sign another world class player like James O'Connor they would be extremely dangerous, best of luck for the rest of the season you deserve to finish in top 6 this season, maybe next year you'll be up there in the top 4!

Thanks for the sentiment. I donít think weíll ever get the strength in depth that Sarries have unless we double our attendances though thatís another story! Our first team isnít far off being top six. The front row is good in the scrum. In the second row we need another season from Evans or a Mostert coming in and we either need Beaumont to make more yards in the loose or someone else to do it. Back row is doing well, the Currys could be fantastic in years to come, Ross has become integral as a leader but we need more hard yards on the gain line from Strauss. Moore could have a break out season next year doing just this.
Faf has been such a contrast from trundling slow ball Phillips and seems to help AJ but his pass could be more accurate. AJ has shown far more potential and is great from the tee. Back up or another complimentary option is needed.
Centres are an issue. We need to pull out all the stops to get a crash ball centre to add something different to our back line. Kuridrani, RJVR or dare we get ahead of our station with SBW?! Too far fetched most probably. Dimes and Orange really need to address this as our game was markedly improved before Christmas. Jennings atm should not be first team sadly for where we want to be. James and Addison need to be allowed to nail down their positions at 13 and as yet decided! Promising that Luke James hasnít looked out of place at 18/19 and with Redpath highly thought of.
So much strength in the back three, we donít know what to do with it! Denny has been quiet of late but always looks dependable, Yarde is as yet unproven for us with attacking potential and defensive issues. We havenít had the best of JOC yet due to injuries and I hope we see him in the back three and not at 10 (someone else there). Haley hasnít played consistently well for a while and we wouldnít miss him so much if Exeter came in with JOC, Addison (Iíd argue his best position potentially) and Byron playing there.

We really arenít far from being a top six side. I doubt weíll get there this year with our games left and no recognised 10. With the addition of reliable gain line breaking carriers, a boshing centre and back up at 10 and next year would look good!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 17/02/2018 10:33 by StalyShark.

philthefluter (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 10:35
Totally agree. Taking Strauss off cost us 3 points. They were a winger down so why not keep our pack up to full strength and take off a back? Muddled thinking yet again.

bonnery (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 11:30
On the yellow cards. Williams ran in to get Webber off of his team-mate. Webber, who was pinning a man down with a forearm across the neck. Neither were worthy of cards. One eyed to suggest Williams was worth a yellow and Webber not. This is rugby! We were outplayed all over. We are very difficult to break down and I still think we'll sneak 6th.

Saracens, after all their issues, are back. With 11 first choice players unavailable, they look one tough unit.

17 February, 2018 11:33
The TMO actually said the webber wasn't worth a yellow, the ref. said he agreed but needed one from each side. Burger was holding Webber down. The bloke who made the horrendous neck lift only conceded the pen.

Dis mus be da place

bonnery (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 12:15
"horrendous neck lift". What were YOU watching?! Nothing in ANY of it. Have we not had enough of fans who just need to get over it after last weekend. Well done Sarries. More than worthy of.the win.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 14:35
Quote:
bonnery
On the yellow cards. Williams ran in to get Webber off of his team-mate. Webber, who was pinning a man down with a forearm across the neck. Neither were worthy of cards. One eyed to suggest Williams was worth a yellow and Webber not. This is rugby! We were outplayed all over. We are very difficult to break down and I still think we'll sneak 6th.
Saracens, after all their issues, are back. With 11 first choice players unavailable, they look one tough unit.

No, he didnít. He ran in and shoved Jennings - who was standing up by the side - on top of the pile of bodies. He categorically did nothing to get Webber off his team-mate. Williams had equally run in 10 yards to have a push at Ben Curry when he was getting close and personal with a couple of the Sarries pack and indeed as the players were moving off to follow the action. Brave lad, that Williams. I can think of other terms to describe it too.

If the ref felt he had to bin one from each side, then he should have done so and also binned Williams for running in with no good reason and sparking it.

In any case, that is one incident and can be judged on its own merits quite separately from the rest of the game.

Key errors from us in my view included the try - where if you catch the replay, it looks as if Haley was a few yards behind Yarde. From the glimpse I saw, I wondered if Yarde hadnít had the call from Haley to say he was covering the outside line, and therefore was caught square which allowed Williams to cut in on the inside angle.

The other standout for me was Willís poor play. I felt he tried to force it too often - in the first half he sent a few passes whizzing at Head-height to team-mates, causing them to check to catch them and allowing Sarries defence to be all over us with all our forward momentum gone. He also got very lucky in the first half in trying to throw a basketball-style pass over the midfield to the wing, which was intercepted but fortunately knocked on by Sarries almost immediately after. Heís certainly not as in the groove as he was last season in my view.

I agree that the subbing of Strauss cost us 3 points. You can see why it was done - win the scrum, attach with an extra back and score. Simple, innit? Except I think the only scrum we lost all night was the very next one when weíd given the ball back again almost immediately after.

Still, thereís no shame in the result. Even with their internationals out, they remain a very tough, abrasive, well-drilled team. With our missing players, we didnít have enough skill or nous to get last them. But I thought we fronted up very well - it was a very physical battle (and one might legitimately query the legality of some of them), and we didnít take a step back.

bonnery (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 17:13
You're wrong. Watch the cards again. Williams ran in to pull Webber off his teammate. Jennings was in the way. A shove on Jennings (which was a penalty at most imo) got him out the way, after which Williams dived into Webber to pull him off Saracens player who he was pinning. Watch it...it's clear as day.

These guys knock lumps out of each other for 80 minutes. This incident was child's play.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 20:08
Well at least you've doubled the number of people who thought that Webber deserved the same punishment as Williams.

Bizarre though the incident was,as practically everyone has stated it had no real bearing on the result. We didn't play particularly poorly, just the same basic errors as we usually make. No chance to exert any real pressure when you cough up possession after a couple of phases. I was one one of those insisting that Jennings must start this week, and he goes and has a mare. Yarde had moments in attack, but was at odds defensively, often looked as though he either hasn't yet grasped, or doesn't have the concentration to maintain our defensive system. For the try he was just wandering around doing nothing in particular. Instead of maintaining his zone, he wandered wide, leaving the gap inside and taking Hayley out of the defense. I think he was our only player to spill high kicks too.

we shouldn't be too down about this performance, I'm not so sure that Sarries had extra gears to go to, although they were fairly comfortable, I don't think they would have been happy with such a slender lead for so much of the game, if they had more gears they would have used them to gain a bit more breathing space.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 21:21
I know sam james didn't have a great game today but he's to me a 6 out of 10 rating as an out half and can certainly tide us over for another 2 weeks. Unlike Zane kirchener for dragons, watch this omnishambles, 1/10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net