rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Should World Rugby make a public pronouncement...
BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 16:05
...regarding the TMO decision about the Anscombe "try"?
They have confirmed today tha Alain Rolland has agreed that the TMO made a mistake and that a try should have been awarded. But is this sensible?
Apparently (I've not seen it) there is video evidence of the ball hitting Evans's fingers before Anscombe dived (cf Guscott on BBC Sport), but that wasn't reviewed. Also, what does such a pronouncement do for both the confidence of the TMO and more particularly the confidence in the TMO? To me, there is no benefit to making a public pronouncement, and it can only be damaging. So far as I am aware World Rugby don't make public criticism of refs, so why hang out the TMO to dry?

Re: Should World Rugby make a public pronouncement...
iBozz (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 16:15
The Referee/TMO may not always be right, but they are never wrong.

It is what it is, leave it alone.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

13 February, 2018 16:21
It seems that two wrongs have made a right.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

clutch (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 16:29
Its fine. When something looks wrong it is important that this is clarified by the powers that be, especially in such a complex sport.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 16:32
Didn't they make a public pronouncement after Craig joubert fecked up at rwc 2015?

MartWhit (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 16:36
They may have said, privately to Welsh mamagement, that the TMO made a mistake. As far as I'm aware they didnt go on to say that a try should have been awarded. That implication was made by Rob Howley.

Its all heresay from Rob Howley at this point, and has been considerably hyped by other messengers along the way. What was actually said who knows?

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 17:14
The Knock on was reviewed and quickly decided to be OK. I wasn't sure at the time that it hadn't brushed his finger(s). I also haven't seen the reputed angle that 'proves' the knock on.

I'm all for clarity, but can't help thinking this could be setting a dangerous precedent.
Do they now have to offer an explanation for every contested decision?

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 17:52
According to the BBC sport article ( apologies - I can't do the link) it is a quoted press release from World Rugby as to exactly what was said.
In other words, no ambiguity, and in my view the TMO is hung out to dry. For what and whose benefit? To me it does nothing tha undermine the authority of the match day officials.
By all means, deal with it on assessments, as I understand the elite referees do in private in any event.

the snapper (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 20:01
I am sure they had to do this or the Welsh would have thrown their Teddy Bear out of their cot!
It was not a try, end of!

Crutch (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 20:34
I was fairly certain it was a knock on and was surprised they moved on from that aspect so quickly.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 21:02
Quote:
the snapper
I am sure they had to do this or the Welsh would have thrown their Teddy Bear out of their cot!
It was not a try, end of!
I had four years in Cardiff at the end of the sixties. Every opposition try (especially a winning try) had some error that the referee had missed, but if it was point out that theirs was from a knock-on there was always the same answer "couldn't have been because the referee gave the try". What goes around comes around.

World rugby are wrong, wrong, wrong for all sorts of reasons.

clutch (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 21:24
Does anyone have the angle that shows the knock on

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 21:28
It's on the other, similar, thread, clutch.

clutch (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 21:30
Yeah. Im lazy!! But sorted now and I have another theory

Oldham Shark II (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 23:07
How can the TMO be wrong? He was asked to make a judgement. His judgement was that it was not a try. Some agree, some disagree. Was it really conclusively an indisputable try to anyone with eyesight? No. Get on with it or we'll start rambling on about Mark Cueto's against Australia. (Which was, of course, indisputably a try).

14 February, 2018 23:16
...or Frank's against South Africa

Dis mus be da place

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 01:34
Have World Rugby actually made any kind of announcement on the matter? Isn't all this about a supposed conversation Howley has had with Alain Rolland?

'Cause we were raised

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 08:38
Quote:
PoyntonShark
Have World Rugby actually made any kind of announcement on the matter? Isn't all this about a supposed conversation Howley has had with Alain Rolland?
You could well be right, Poynters, in which case it's either Rolland or Howley who should be blamed. Wherever the fault actually lies there is no doubt that the news that has gone round the world is that the TMO was wrong. World Rugby now need to come out and say they support the TMO, otherwise they are complicit in what was said, whoever said it.

15 February, 2018 08:41
Rolland is a representative of World Rugby

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Dis mus be da place

MartWhit (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 09:10
Talk about making a rod for your own back.

They've invited minute scrutiny of any mildly controversial decision, and set a precedent for the media to request comment from them on each occasion. Which would inevitably lead to them hanging a series of TMO's out to dry.

In this case they didn't even do the clear the air thoroughly since they only said the decision on the grounding was wrong. We don't knwo their thinking on the knock on. They also should be clear that the TMO had neither the time nor the required super slo mo footage to make the definitive verdicts that the media had seemingly come to.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 09:31
Quote:
Mrs T
Rolland is a representative of World Rugby

He is, but he has said nothing directly to the media AFAIK, this has all been heard third hand from Rob Howley. Dave is right though, it is now perceived that Glen Newman has been hung out to dry. World Rugby needs to find a way to change that perception or MartWhit's first paragraph above becomes reality. Not sure they can do that without either calling Howley a liar or hanging Rolland out to dry.

'Cause we were raised

ale shark (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 10:08
Wales lost and the world is still turning. The sun has got his hat on.

Howley would be better served by looking forward trying to win the next game and his team getting results and bonus points by not relying on knock-ons and forward passes to score their trys.

No one will care by the time the next match comes around.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 11:22
Quote:
ale shark
Wales lost and the world is still turning. The sun has got his hat on.
Howley would be better served by looking forward trying to win the next game and his team getting results and bonus points by not relying on knock-ons and forward passes to score their trys.

No one will care by the time the next match comes around.
Your last paragraph is nonsense, ale. They will still be talking and complaint about it in a hundred years or so in Wales.

Poynters, I would feel that the best thing for World Rugby to say is along the lines of "We got it wrong. It's relatively new technology and we are still feeling our way, both in using it and handling the way decisions are reviewed." What they will probably do is try to deflect criticism onto someone else, anyone else, particularly someone who is an easy target and is dispensable.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 11:29
"The technology is imperfect, humans are imperfect, as with refereeing, judgement calls are required by the TMO. Everyone is trying to make the correct decision with the tools and time available. We continue to work with broadcasters to access more detailed imagery in real time in order to continue to improve decision making. In the meantime, jog on." would have done for me.

clutch (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 12:48
Plus, not sure I would take much notice of Rolland, who's appalling refereeing at the breakdown has lead to some of the modern interpretations of the laws. Garces allowed all sorts as well, which turned the game into a right low scoring mess.

Is it me or most of the games reffed by Frenchmen?

15 February, 2018 12:58
Why did he ping Farrell who picked up the ball after he had signalled "play on (ie ball out) and why wasn't the pen reversed after Shingler's handbags?

Dis mus be da place

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 13:46
There were one or two things in the game that seemed strange, to say the least. The referee certainly seemed to indicate a penalty to Wales (kickable even for Patchell). Then there was break while it was being decided that Hartley needed an HIA. Then the game restarted with a scrum with a vague "in all that England had knocked the ball on" by the commentator. Did the TMO perhaps intervene during the delay to nudge Garces away from the penalty? Maybe I need to go back and re-review the part of play.

15 February, 2018 13:53
iirc wales kicked the Farrell pen. Check it out as I'm walking the hills this pm. brrr..

Dis mus be da place

fouloleron2002 (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 09:59
They should always back their man, otherwise we will end up like a certain other game, where the officials are always getting abuse.

Flumpty (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 10:21
Quote:
fouloleron2002
They should always back their man, otherwise we will end up like a certain other game, where the officials are always getting abuse.

well said that man.

The game at grassroots level is already desperately short of refs. They need to be encouraged, nurtured and supported.

The ref is the only person on the pitch that is "required" - No ref, No game.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net