rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

AJ
thekeg (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 16:15
Interesting interview now up on the rugby dungeon podcast. Really good interview generally, but the discussion on his first season and issues he experienced with our attack structure are of particular interest following some of the chat on here.....

Re: AJ
MartWhit (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 16:21
share the gist?

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 16:27

thekeg (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 16:35
Quote:
MartWhit
share the gist?

He talks in quite a lot of detail, and with refreshing honesty for a professional sportsman, about how he struggled to fit into our attack structure in his first season. Seems like a really decent bloke, very modest, the discussion on his somewhat back door route to the Premiership is very interesting compared to the typical prem players who have only been in a pro rugby environment from 18

clutch (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 17:07
Interesting. Not something I ever picked up on.

Look forward to listening. Sounds like having that kind of modest attitude has helped with the huge improvements the last few months. He's hopefully going to be back for the Worcester game. Let's hope we can hang in and steal a few wins before he returns.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 17:59
Thanks for the link, H's D. For an American he sounds quite Irish: interesting piece.

thekeg (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 18:04
Quote:
clutch
Interesting. Not something I ever picked up on.
Look forward to listening. Sounds like having that kind of modest attitude has helped with the huge improvements the last few months. He's hopefully going to be back for the Worcester game. Let's hope we can hang in and steal a few wins before he returns.

I got the impression it was both a positive and a negative. Positive in the way you suggest but negative in that he suggests he didnít impose himself enough in his first season

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 18:09
Quote:
DaveAitch
Thanks for the link, H's D. For an American he sounds quite Irish: interesting piece.

Might have something to do with growing up in Ireland?

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 18:13
That's absolutely no excuse though, GOS.

clutch (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 18:23
Yeah. Iíll blame Mike Phillips! Seems like really nice fella. Only 20 professional starts before he joined us.

LankyShark (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 18:32
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark
Quote:
DaveAitch

Having been born in Dublin to Irish parents

thekeg (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 18:36
Quote:
LankyShark
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark
Quote:
DaveAitch

I think Dave was joking....

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 18:41
Quote:
DaveAitch

He went to Uni in america and qualified to play for USA whilst there. He then went to world cup showed his abilities despite losing all 4 games (Their worst loss came against the springboks, losing 64-0, but he wasn't in their 23) got picked up by connacht afterwards and won the pro12. He then had to move on from connacht as they had signed Marnitz Boshoff and they couldn't have 2 non IQP out-halfs in their squad making him available for us to sign. Boshoff only played 3 games for connacht as he came over injured and got injured in his first appearance after recovering.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/02/2018 18:44 by Irish_Shark.

Crutch (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 19:09
A really interesting listen, thanks for posting.

The fact that he felt he couldn't be too bossy and put his views forward so much in the first season is a factor that I'm not sure we considered - he mentioned the fact that in the US and Connaught when he first arrived he already knew people in the squad whereas at Sale everyone was a stranger.

As a side point also noted that JoC has a calf injury.

LankyShark (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 19:53
Quote:
thekeg
Quote:
LankyShark
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark
Quote:
DaveAitch

I think Dave was joking....

Yes. So do I.

I was talking to myself really. I knew he is more Irish than American but wasnít sure what the ďsplitĒ was. Posted that after looking him up.

I shall log off again now and post again in a month or so or when next I feel like it. Promise not to post all my self talking on here. I would take over the board if I did that.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 19:58
Yes, I know all about where he, MacGinty, grew up and then went to the USA. It was a comment that rugby players move round, play for whoever and just because it says USA on the shirt doesn't necessarily mean he speaks American. Thank you thekeg!

I did watch Blackrock play on their home ground, but I didn't notice AJ MacGinty playing for them - but then it was 1985-6 season. Maybe he was a bit young then. The headmaster of Blackrock College, by the way, is Alan McGinty, so one of them doesn't know how to spell.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 20:01
Lanky, a month is waaay too long!

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 20:14
Quote:
DaveAitch
Yes, I know all about where he, MacGinty, grew up and then went to the USA. It was a comment that rugby players move round, play for whoever and just because it says USA on the shirt doesn't necessarily mean he speaks American. Thank you thekeg!
I did watch Blackrock play on their home ground, but I didn't notice AJ MacGinty playing for them - but then it was 1985-6 season. Maybe he was a bit young then. The headmaster of Blackrock College, by the way, is Alan McGinty, so one of them doesn't know how to spell.

I think Alan is AJs dad.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 20:27
Yes, but the surnames are spelt differently, so one of them can't spell.

Edit: having looked further into this the problem would seem to be others who can't spell on his behalf. Most entries say Alan McGinty, but on a Blackrock College video in the title he is billed as Alan MacGinty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/02/2018 20:57 by DaveAitch.

yukon (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 20:46
Quote:
DaveAitch
That's absolutely no excuse though, GOS.

Feck

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 21:30
Quote:
DaveAitch
Yes, but the surnames are spelt differently, so one of them can't spell.
Edit: having looked further into this the problem would seem to be others who can't spell on his behalf. Most entries say Alan McGinty, but on a Blackrock College video in the title he is billed as Alan MacGinty.
Very odd, he said his dad was a teacher in podcast and i assumed his dad was principal too as i remember seeing a documentary that featured Principal Alan mcginty.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 21:59
I think it is just that, as on here, we don't always get the correct spelling. Once incorrect, especially on the internet, the mistake is regurgitated and becomes 'the truth'.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 22:44
Quote:
DaveAitch
I think it is just that, as on here, we don't always get the correct spelling. Once incorrect, especially on the internet, the mistake is regurgitated and becomes 'the truth'.
Judging by signature here the principal is macginty

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 01:44
Surely AJ is also Alan MacGinty?

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

yukon (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 10:17
Quote:
PoyntonShark
Surely AJ is also Alan MacGinty?

Yes, AJ is Alan Junior. I know a lad who was taught and coached by AJ's dad at Blackrock and whose young brother played with him at youth level.

th inside infopre-signing was that he would be awesome. Came good that did

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/02/2018 10:24 by yukon.

16 February, 2018 10:23
Imho he speaks llike he plays. Rather quiet and honest. Imho playmakers should be more up front.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 11:08
Quote:
th inside infopre-signing was that he would be awesome. Came good that did

The outside info also indicated that from day one of his name being mentioned: he really impressed wherever he played. I first watched him away at Wasps and despite a heavy defeat you could see his potential then. Injuries prevented him establishing a good accurate impression on the pitch in his first year at Sale, but those he trained with knew how good he was.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 11:15
He does come across like a really good guy which just makes you want him to do well even more.

I agree with Mrs T though

Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
Imho playmakers should be more up front.

A bit more arrogance and he could be even better, maybe that will come with more confidence which he seemed to be picking up before the latest injury.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 19:11
Just to put this to bed: I am aware that AJ's father is Alan and that, on the official Blackrock things I have seen, he is billed as Alan MacGinty. However on numerous other internet references he is billed as Alan McGinty. One gave AJ's surname as MacGinty but said his father was Alan McGinty. Wiki, by the way, says AJ is Alan Leon, and not, as one might expect James , John or Jeremiah.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 20:35
Quote:
DaveAitch
Just to put this to bed: I am aware that AJ's father is Alan and that, on the official Blackrock things I have seen, he is billed as Alan MacGinty. However on numerous other internet references he is billed as Alan McGinty. One gave AJ's surname as MacGinty but said his father was Alan McGinty. Wiki, by the way, says AJ is Alan Leon, and not, as one might expect James , John or Jeremiah.

The J is for junior.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 19:32
Sorry if you thought this was re-signing news, but sign him up!

[www.rugbypass.com]

ale shark (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 20:48
Doesnít he let others take the hard/long ones for him or am I mistaken?

Olyy (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 21:20
Don't think I've ever seen him hand the harder kicks to anyone else - who would they have been to? Addison?
With the exception of when he had hamstring issues I think AJ has kicked everything when he's been on the pitch.

We don't really have a long range guy in the way Wasps have Daly, Sarries have Bosch etc

Also I'm hoping that the Denny re-signing is the first of our re-signing announcements and AJ is next

(Though I'm guessing it was as a feel good announcement before Haley announced to Munster tomorrow morning)

ale shark (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 23:01
Fair enough, I thought Addison was doing the longer kicks when both were on pitch. Good stats anyway so credit to AJ.

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 07:37
Quote:
ale shark
Fair enough, I thought Addison was doing the longer kicks when both were on pitch. Good stats anyway so credit to AJ.

IIRC - that was when AJ was still recovering from his hamstring injury

StalyShark (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 19:46
In four years time AJ will be 32 and Wilkinson and Redpath will be 22. Letís hope that now it is obvious that AJ is trusted and his first season troubles are over he really keeps us ticking over. Wilkinson and Redpath should be given runs out and opportunities to fulfill their potential. Could be one of those rare times as a Sale fan to be optimistic!

Olyy (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 20:13
Quote:
Olyy

Also I'm hoping that the Denny re-signing is the first of our re-signing announcements and AJ is next

(Though I'm guessing it was as a feel good announcement before Haley announced to Munster tomorrow morning)

I'm Nostradamus!

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 20:16
Quote:
Olyy
Quote:
Olyy

I'm Nostradamus!

So what's happening tomorrow?!

StalyShark (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 20:25
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
Olyy
Quote:
Olyy

I'm Nostradamus!

Joe Moody, Owen Franks, Franco Mostert and RJVR.

Yareet (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 00:24
Quote:
StalyShark
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
Olyy
Quote:
Olyy

I'm Nostradamus!

Joe Moody, Owen Franks, Franco Mostert and RJVR.

Will breathe? Wonít sign for Sale Sharks?

Olyy (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 10:02
Clip of AJ practising goal kicking on the offy Instagram

I didn't think we'd be seeing AJ again this season but I'm a bit more hopeful now!

StalyShark (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 10:33
The talk was of him coming back into contention for the Warriors game. Fingers crossed. Also for JOC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net