rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Contracts
05 March, 2018 10:21
Just picked this quote from Dimes, on the Offy regarding Saturdayís game -

ď Denny has just signed a 4 year contract with us,as have a lot of other lads which will be announced over the next few weeks..Ē

So obviously Charnley is one, given Fisslerís comments at the weekend. Any clues about the rest?? Or could this mean new signings also?.

Re: Contracts
thekeg (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 10:55
Webber I guess....maybe people like WGJ who might have earned a longer term deal

clutch (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 12:44
It doesn't mean new signings, I wouldn't have thought!

MartWhit (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 14:24
Good lord no. That would be rude. Everyone else hasnt finished yet.

There is another announcement at 6pm tonight apparently, so here's hoping I'm wrong.

My money is on Charnley at this point.

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 14:41
Itíll be Charnley.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 15:42
Iím convinced (for no good reason) that at some point weíre signing Harry Mallinder. Now weíve got the Saints game behind us, thereís no impediment to announcing it.

I will repeat this confident assertion every time we have an announcement, until Iím right.

(Mods - I promise I wonít actually do that, as it would be tedious in the extreme).

stevene (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 15:45
Quote:
MartWhit
Good lord no. That would be rude. Everyone else hasnt finished yet.

I am sure Diamond wouldn't want to disappoint you MW.

Olyy (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 16:13
My guess is Webber tonight

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 16:25
Quote:
Pappje Shark
Iím convinced (for no good reason) that at some point weíre signing Harry Mallinder. Now weíve got the Saints game behind us, thereís no impediment to announcing it.

I really really really hope not

thekeg (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 16:30
Quote:
Olyy
My guess is Webber tonight

My money on that as well

clutch (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 17:48
Just baffles me how a clearly extremely talented but slightly flawed player who dominated at U21 level by all accounts gets three really before hope not. Heís more talented than most of our young crop and still only young. Just needs to learn the art of defence and to find a best position.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:03
Ross Harrison for 4 years.

isitme (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:05
Great news. These four year deals are a real commitment to the players by the club and help with long term squad stability.

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:06
Glad Ross has signed on. Next announcement to be Charnley then?

Re Harry Mallinder, it would be a fantastic signing and the lad had the potential to go a long way. Obviously after a serious shoulder injury, being swapped between positions, and his Dad being sacked, he wonít be firing on all cylinders.

Heís a playmaker, intelligent, decent gas and an athlete. Just needs some confidence.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:15
With regards to Mallinder, where would he fit and improve our 15? AJ at 10? AJ for me now. JOC at 15? Again JOC. Centres? He's not what we need especially with Redpath and L James. Wings? Not a chance.
He would only be a squad player atm. We don't need him. Priorities are elsewhere.

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:19
Donít expect JOC to stay around for that long tbh, but whatever happens the lad is crocked 70% of the time and with Haley going thereís space potentially at 15.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:19
Excellent news on Ross. Hadnít reckoned on him being up for Renewal. Safe to say he had a strong negotiating position.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2018 18:21 by MartWhit.

Olyy (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:28
Didn't realise Ross was out of contract but delighted at him signing on,
Real cornerstone of our pack

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:57
He might not have been out of contract for certain but has been given an extension? Thatís splitting hairs though. Itís another good contract extension for a key squad member.

Re Mallinder, itís me both speculating and playing wishful thinking. Heíd be a long term 15 for us potentially is where Iíd see him - several years younger and able to learn from JOC while heís here. But itís all conjecture and even less likely than some of the rumours peddled by the twitter rumour merchant accounts!

If last week was the backs and this week is the pack, who else are we thinking? Webber seems an obvious one. What kind of deal is Bryn on?

All told, I think these are really good times for the club with a really strong spine of players being secured for a number of years.

05 March, 2018 18:59
Bryn signed a 3 year deal in July 2016

[www.bbc.co.uk]

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

Barend (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 19:03
Ross signed his previous 3 year contract in 2016. I guess this could be a 2 year contract with the added bonus of a potential 1 year. I assume its updating the two year bit.

I guess Evans could be the same.

thekeg (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 19:04
Quote:
Olyy
Didn't realise Ross was out of contract but delighted at him signing on,
Real cornerstone of our pack

I donít think he was but this is just extending his contract further and presumably improving the terms of it

Crutch (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 19:09
I'm sure Ross is an extension to keep him tied up long term, so 1+3 or 2+2, and likely a decent increase in wages for him.

He obviously isn't unhappy about the amount of minutes he's being asked to play, although the players don't always know what's best for them I guess!

Crutch (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 19:14
Wrt Mallinder, I agree he probably wouldn't be a regular starter atm, but he'd probably be the closest thing around to a replacement for Haley, being a young, inconsistent but inherently talented squad player.

I also agree with the above that JoC is probably not a long term fixture at Sale, so if he could be ready to be first choice 15 in a couple of years time after plenty of rotation during that time, I think it'd be a great move.

rigg87 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 19:25
What is happening with Charnley?

StalyShark (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 19:55
Couldn't find anything online but does anyone have any idea when Flynn's contract runs out? If I were him I'd be looking for another deal where he would get to play.

Olyy (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 20:01
Quote:
rigg87

They didn't announce how long his contract was when he first signed, but (up until recently) the regular contract length was 2 years so there's a good chance he's out of contract this season.
The Rugby Paper said he's re-signing with us, turning down a move back to League.

thekeg (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 21:20
Quote:
Olyy
Quote:
rigg87

They didn't announce how long his contract was when he first signed, but (up until recently) the regular contract length was 2 years so there's a good chance he's out of contract this season.
The Rugby Paper said he's re-signing with us, turning down a move back to League.

I thought it was a 3 year deal (or more like 2 3/4 given his November arrival)

stevene (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 10:24
A lot of these 'new 4 year contracts' do, in reality, appear to be 2-3 year extensions to current deals. Alternatively we are including this current season as part of the number of seasons extended.

does appear to be a little smoke and mirrors from a PR perspective.

I would imagine Ross has extended through to the end of 2020/21 season (eg 3 more seasons after this one).

regardless of that its good news.

james46 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 13:53
Mallinder Jr has another year on his contract. I can't see him leaving to go to SS tbh.

A far, far better target would be Paul Hill their out of favour prop,

MartWhit (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 14:27
How about that Mallinder Snr?

Turned down the top job at Cardiff so is still a valuable free agent. Apparently also a handy 15.

06 March, 2018 16:35
I can't see Jim & Dimes working together.

Dis mus be da place

thekeg (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 07:16
Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
I can't see Jim & Dimes working together.

They have before, was there a fall out?

07 March, 2018 07:39
It was slightly tongue-in-cheek but Dimes went to Sorries after a relatively short perod.

Dis mus be da place

thekeg (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 07:42
Quote:
It was slightly tongue-in-cheek but Dimes went to Sorries after a relatively short perod.

Wasnít that after it was announced they were going to bring in someone above Jim?

07 March, 2018 08:55
As far as I remember we had an away game in France for which Axe didn't travel. Obviously there was trouble at't'mill and Dimes & Axe departed for Sorries and Jim went to the RFU and in came PSA.

Dis mus be da place

thekeg (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 13:43
Quote:
As far as I remember we had an away game in France for which Axe didn't travel. Obviously there was trouble at't'mill and Dimes & Axe departed for Sorries and Jim went to the RFU and in came PSA.

My impression at the time was that after years of injury problems we werenít prepared to offer Sanderson a contract he was happy with,. Subsequent issues perhaps proved us correct as he hardly played for sarries. All worked out well for him though.....

07 March, 2018 14:33
Yet another corporation bus tonight

Webber?

Dis mus be da place

StalyShark (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 13:56
Jamie Roberts to Bath. Would have been a decent signing for us. Letís hope we get the new and improved version in RJVR instead.

[www.rugbypass.com]

14 March, 2018 15:45
Tapuai going in the opposite direction.

Dis mus be da place

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 17:40
Quote:
StalyShark
Jamie Roberts to Bath. Would have been a decent signing for us. Letís hope we get the new and improved version in RJVR instead.
[www.rugbypass.com]

Echo that but would rather have RJVR ahead of Roberts any day.

clutch (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 21:45
Wish Roberts was going to Gloucester!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net