rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Any pubs near to the AJ Bell Stadium?
Scrum pox (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 15:11
Are there any pubs near to the AJ Bell Stadium?

I will be coming up for the match v Worcester and any advice as to pre-match drinks would be appreciated.
Do I stay in the City centre as I am getting a train to Piccadily ? Or make my way closer to the Stadium?
Also,what is the best way to travel from the City centre to the Stadium?

Thank you in advance and may the best team win !!

Re: Any pubs near to the AJ Bell Stadium?
05 March, 2018 16:36
There's one pub - the Barley Field (Marston's) within easy walking distance. It does decent (ish) food too.

Travelling from Piccadilly isn't very good without a car. There are two railway stations at Irlam and Eccles and a Metrolink stadium at Eccles. From those there are longish walks (20 mins or so) or a bus service (67 iirc).

Alternatively you can get an express bus from Piccadilly Gardens to the Intu Trafford Centre from where the club runs a free shuttle to the ground and return after the game.

The club usually publishes a travel plan on the Monday before the game.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 16:39
Depends what you want really. Only one pub near the ground - The Barley Mow which is a typical chain eatery - not very exciting. There is always entertainment and plenty of fans from both sides in the 'Sharquee' at the ground.

My advice would be to stay in Sale (plenty of smaller hotels there, get the metrolink from St Peters Square to Sale), go pre match to the Brook Inn and then get the bus that they run from there to/from the ground

[www.thebrooksale.co.uk]

Otherwise probably more choice and better food/drink options staying in the city centre than at the Trafford Centre.

Rani of the Road (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 17:52
It's called the Barley Farm not the Barley Mow, if you want to look it up.

Not the greatest for pre-match drinks locally - like Sixways with the Three Pears, but you can get a few drinks in Manchester then a taxi to the stadium for about 15-20 depending on traffic, then get a beer in the marquee. Or as has been said above a bus to the trafford centre then the free shuttle. I think the travel plan in on the Sharks website.

iBozz (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:02
This will show you you need to know!

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

Scrum pox (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 19:06
Thanks for your help with regards to pubs/transport to the AJ Bell.
All is needed now is a sunny day.

05 March, 2018 19:11
...and so say all of us.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

Cornerball (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 21:13
If you have time and the inclination, you might try the Queen's Arms. It is of (some) historic interest in that it was the first pub on a railway station.

There are many pubs on the main road from Eccles to the stadium but they are all something of a walk away and most serve Holts', which is an acquired taste.

Probably the best beer of the main road is to be found at a peculiar pub called Wangies. If I go to Wangies for a pre-match pint or 3, I soak up the beer with Fish and Chips from the excellent Helen Steet Chippy, which a short detour about half way along the 30 minute walk to the AJ Bell

Cornerball

ulsterlad (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 22:36
What a miserable bunch to give you advice! it is little wonder that people consider the AJ Bell to be in the middle of no where!

From Manchester CC you can get the X50 bus. 35 minutes later you will end up at the Trafford Centre ( one of the biggest shopping centres in Europe with over 50 different options to eat)

From the Trafford Centre , Sale Sharks , provide a FREE shuttle bus to the stadium (approx every 12 mins) or you can walk.

It is about a 20/25 min walk via the Chill Factorie ( you and stop for a ski on real snow) a Costa Coffee. Weatherspoons. Nandos, or a drink on the ski slope, before arriving at the Barley Farm (described above for a decent carvery), then dander the 2/3 minutes to the stadium!

If you really want to make the most of your day, your route will also pass an Indoor skydive centre, a dinosaur themed crazy golf park, a golf driving range and at the Trafford Centre a Sealfife, and.a Legoland!

Enjoy your trip!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2018 22:54 by ulsterlad.

Major Bloodnok (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 23:08
Your other option is to take the Metrolink (Altrincham line) to Brooklands and have a scoop or two at The Brook prior to taking a nice, comfortable coach ride to the ground (6.50 return, phone 0161 973 7773 about a week before the game to reserve places).

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg
Somewhere in the South Stand

Flumpty (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 09:41
I'm not going to pretend that the Barley Mow is a wonderful, olde worlde drinking house, but for a well priced carvery and a couple of pints, it hits the spot.

Scrum pox (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 12:50
It looks like its going to be a wet day,only with visits to pubs I mean,CAMRA discount makes it even wetter !!

Gandalfzz (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 16:17
The Club website ought to use Ulsterlad's posting on their web site as they only have maps to read!!

I am anyones equal, but no ones superior

muddydwarf (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 18:41
If you catch the Liverpool train to Patricroft (where the Queens Arms is) you can walk up Liverpool Rd to the stadium (about 25min walk) and there are a couple of pubs along the way.
The Unicorn is roughly midway, and serves Old Peculier if that's your tipple.

maccshark (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 23:15
Seconded on Helen Street Chippy, perfect pre rugby nose bag.

Ellastone Basking (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 08:54
Near the ground ..... No

Scrum pox (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 15:48
Thanks again for all your advice with pubs and getting to AJ Bell.
I can feel a very social day coming up !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net