rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Prop Rumours
Olyy (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 11:10
TRP has us after Mulipola from Tigers and Joe Jones (Wales u20 tighthead, once of our academy) from Perpignan

Re: Prop Rumours
StalyShark (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 11:32
Both have been bandied around before I believe. Looks like Flynn is just in extremis so we need a 1 definitely. Schoeman from the South African team I can't remember atm looks like a Harrison type.

Ayerza wannabe (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 13:06
Quote:
StalyShark
Both have been bandied around before I believe. Looks like Flynn is just in extremis so we need a 1 definitely. Schoeman from the South African team I can't remember atm looks like a Harrison type.

Schoeman is off to Edinburgh going off the current media reports.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 15:23
Joe Jones hasnít been in the Perpignan 23 this calendar year and he isnít injured it seems. Still only 22 though so young in prop years.

northman (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 15:14
Probably slightly off topic,Ciaran Parker has signed a contract extension with Munster apparently there were offers from a couple of premiership clubs but he decided to stay put.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 15:15 by northman.

12 March, 2018 17:54
Jones on a "long term contract".

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

thekeg (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 18:25
Difficult to assess exactly how he fits in, but if itís as someone to develop around the squad for a year or two before heís a regular member of the 23 then thereís nothing wrong with that approach. Wonder whether this will be our only business at tighthead....

Crutch (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 19:21
Dimes has commented a couple of times now on the change in the way the scrum is reffed and props needing to be athletes around the park. Presumably why WGJ has been the regular pick this year and Aulika has had limited mins.

I really like Aulika but hls wages can't be great value for how much he's played this year, so could it possibly be a straight swap in squad terms?

Barend (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 20:41
Most articles have him as a tight head. Hopefully a loose head incoming too.

Do we get any extra bonuses with him having come through our academy for a bit too?

thekeg (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 22:03
Quote:
Crutch
Dimes has commented a couple of times now on the change in the way the scrum is reffed and props needing to be athletes around the park. Presumably why WGJ has been the regular pick this year and Aulika has had limited mins.
I really like Aulika but hls wages can't be great value for how much he's played this year, so could it possibly be a straight swap in squad terms?

Yes WGJ tackle count this season is pretty extraordinary. Hopefully we can develop him more as a carrier too. Harrison has long been impressive on any measure of work rate too

StalyShark (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 22:23
BBC says itís a 5 year contract. Thatís some faith in him! However, Iím sure there are some clauses.

ballsout (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 02:08
He's massive. Not WillGriff John massive, but big nonetheless.

northman (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 10:01
Surely we should be signing a TH who will be a replacement for Halani as the first choice starter or at least somebody who will give WGJ major competition for the starting spot.
Dimes seems intent on trying to discover diamonds in the rough when it comes to props it seems to have worked with WGJ but Tarus has disappeared of the radar and Tarus was deemed to be one of the best TH in level 2 of French rugby last year.
Joe Jones couldnt get in the perpignan 1st team all season and previously was released by Sale,Cardiff before perpignan let him leave.

We seem to be shopping at waitrose for our backs and Aldi for our forwards!

Olyy (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 10:30
Taurus has been away with Romania for the six nations period (starting at tighthead for them)

He has been used a lot less than I expected though - wasn't there talk of wanting to get him upto certain fitness goals? Maybe we're still doing that?

thekeg (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 10:49
At the start of the season Iíd have been happy if one of WGJ or Tarus emerged as a genuine premiership level performer to work in conjunction. I think itís fair to say WGJ has been a great signing, he seems to be developing by the month. Tarus looked bright early on but got dismantled a couple of times. He also looks a fair bit less developed in a physical sense to me, wonder if part of why heís not been out there too much is because they have been trying to develop him in that sense behind the scenes

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 12:20
Quote:
ballsout
He's massive. Not WillGriff John massive, but big nonetheless.

At a reported 130kg, I think that he is at least as big as WGJ

clutch (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 12:39
Not sure Ross and Strauss are Aldi!!

We need to judge after all signings are announced. If he's the only front row signing I'd be worried.

It is more difficult to acquire top class scrummaging props as they tend to be on big money in France.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 13:41
The Mulipola rumour:

[www.rugbypass.com]

Crutch (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 14:56
He would add a ball carrying option we lack in the front row, but he's not an athlete who has the kind of work rate Dimes says he wants. If he could come on for 20 mins for Ross then I think it'd be a good fit, but his salary would have to be lower to account for that, and so I'd expect offers from France to be more appealing.

Andy_Shark (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 21:31
Quins have just sighed Auterac from Bath, he would have been a great back-up/rotation to Ross. Wonder if there would be a chance to tempt Lewis Boyce back North as he originally moved to Quins from Yorkshire Carnegie.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net