rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

New signing tonight (Monday) 6pm
Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 14:05
Trailed on the twitter account - a new signing at 6pm.

Given the recent comment that Dimes said we canít officially talk to RJvR again until July, I imagine itís not him.

So Iíll go for -

Harry Mallinder (who weíre not signing but Iíve a promise to live up to)

Or alternatively, a loosehead prop with an exotic name.

Re: New signing tonight (Monday) 6pm
12 March, 2018 14:33
Philips from Bath ??

rigg87 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 17:55
Its Joe Jones from Perpignan.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 18:03
[www.salesharks.com]

Listed elsewhere as a Loosehead though.

C3Q (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 18:09
He's a big lump at 130kg, 20t 6lb. Dynamite if he can carry as well as scrummage.

Welcome Joe.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 18:15
From the "Prop Rumours" thread:

Joe Jones hasnít been in the Perpignan 23 this calendar year and he isnít injured it seems. Still only 22 though so young in prop years.

D2 is tougher for props than our second tier and look at WGJ. Tarus from Beziers too so it seems it could be a good depth/potential signing. Not sure if LH or TH as I've seen him listed as both. Hope a LH for Harrison's sake.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 19:20
Itís not the marquee signing everyone was hoping for, but heís a 20stone 22 year old prop with under 20 rep to his name. We have a very good record of signing props who people are underwhelmed with but become very good. Letís hope Joe is one of them.

Welcome Joe

15 March, 2018 12:11
There'll be another bus this evening.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

Crutch (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 14:19
Given how close it is to the previous one, you'd think was already known, and therefore would've started with the bigger news? Therefore I'll guess Philips as Mulipola would be bigger news.

MikeGC (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 14:30
Ben Foden

StudentShark (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 14:41
Ben Franks joining Saints.

Keiran Brookes heading our way was thrown about earlier in the year...

23Shark (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 15:06
Not sure we need another tighthead prop unless Taurus is moving over to Loosehead

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 15:23
Much being made on twitter of the offy invitation to ď#guesswhoĒ accompanied by a pair of eyes, as if it might be someone familiar to Sale fans.

Cops and RJvR are favoured choices, so Iíve gone for......<ed - censored>

2007dwain (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 16:10
As much as Iíd love cips to come back I just canít see it happening

StalyShark (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 17:54
James Phillips. 2 years.

Crutch (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 18:03
Boom. First time I've been right about anything...

As long as we play him, looks like exactly what we need in terms of adding some weight to the maul and a big carrying option in the tight.

Olyy (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 18:05
Yup, good addition to the squad.
Were good at producing light weight locks who excel in the lineout and open play but don't really have any real beef in the 2nd row and haven't for a while.

I've been harping on about this for an age so happy to see the club resolving the issue - a signing at loosehead and I'll be a happy bunny!

Rani of the Road (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 18:11
Watch that positivity! (Sm100) A good signing the other half tells me. Some bulk in the 2nd row.

johneverton (IP Logged)
16 March, 2018 19:32
Although Sale Sharks announced that James is joining the club from Bath at the end of the season as a lock, he has been selected at No.8 for the Anglo Welsh Final against Exeter Chiefs at Kingsholm on Sunday (ko 3.00pm) screened live on BTSport 1.

Crutch (IP Logged)
16 March, 2018 20:39
I'd certainly like to see him used off the bench for Strauss in preference to Neild and moving Jono to 8, although I guess also depends on how much game time Moore will have next year.

Alternatively, with potential combinations of Evans/Ostrikov, and Philips/Nott, would most of us like to see Josh B return to the back row? I'd say a rotation of Josh for Jono/Strauss at 6/8 and Curry/Curry at 7 is competitive with any other back row in the league.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
16 March, 2018 21:20
MartWhit no comments? We have retained every player we would want to, made 2 signings in your key positions and have another 2 to come. I miss how much you have to say about how terrible we are, how no one wants to play for SD and how we canít sign anyone

Crutch (IP Logged)
16 March, 2018 22:17
Where's the info of 2 further signings from Monty?

Agree it's nice to get a couple of squad depth signings in early compared to previous seasons, but I think if we're being fair we'd say the club would've liked to have retained Haley in an ideal world.

clutch (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 14:56
Yeah. What 2 signings. In MartWhits defence we have made signings but he would I assume argue they are underwhelming.
The playing for Diamond argument has never made sense. I think it potentially stacks up when it comes to recruiting coaches but not the players.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 15:33
Thanks Dad. Just back from a very enjoyable week in the cotswolds at the races, so had thoughts elsewhere.

Glad to see 2 squad additions. But lets be clear,they are both squad additions, not immediate 1st XV selections. Both will have to improve on previous form to become regular starters. They arent game changing additions.

Phillips in particular lends balance to the squad. I'd prefer/have preferred Dom Barrow for similar physicality but with no lineout deficiency. Phillips will solve 1 problem but create another with a v reliable back row lineout option permanently required when he is on the field.

Jones to me is a swap out of an aging big man in Aulika for a young big man. I think he might make up into a decent player, but he's in the classic VFM mould of diamond signings. He's also definitely a tight head by preference, and so loose head remains deficient. I note in that regard we failed to sign Auterac, who would fit in well with Sale's style IMO.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 15:35
We have another 2 signings to come, both in the pack. 1 we have already being linked with, 1 we havenít.

Clutch, glad you agree with the playing for Diamond nonsense that some spout on here when it suits. I doníf Know how Philips could be classed as underwhelming though, the Bath fans on social media were very upset at him leaving and although he is not a tier 1 signing he is exactly what we need. Also offering a 5 year contract to a 22 year old prop, suggests we should be very excited about him. How many players get 5 year contacts?

clutch (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 15:38
I think itís a good signing. That try against Worcester already makes him a legend in my eye!! Looking forward to the other two signings. A balance 50/50 of so called big signings and squad players would be ideal.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 15:39
MW, squad additions is what you have moaned about all season. You have being happy with our 15 but have sniped and moaned at SD for not having more depth for rotation. So if as you say that is all they are then you have what you wanted.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 15:41
Also Mr MW, I hope you didnít lose too much money at Cheltenham. Gambling is a mugs game donít you know

ale shark (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 16:03
Iíd suggest we pay more attention to the fact that Philips is on his sixth club in 7 seasons rather than 6 seconds against Worcester.

Nothing thatís happened in the last two weeks suggests weíll improve next season. All weíve really done is lost Haley.

clutch (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 16:09
We lack bulk in the winter months. We have signed someone to help in that regard. We have missed Mills. Why canít phillips be another Mills. So what if he only stays a few years. Bristol re signed him which canít be a bad thing.

Haley wasnít getting in the team and we have retained majority of our players. We are a couple of signings away from being in really good shape.

thekeg (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 16:20
What positions are the new signings monty?

MartWhit (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 16:24
Assuming Aulika does move on, the squad is no bigger yet than it is. Just rebalanced. Certainly we needed the lock and we needed to shed a back 3 player though.

I think if we really want to be better next year, we need at least 1 statement signing that both increases squad numbers and calibre. I think that player needs to be a centre, since a further solid squad player would be actually preferred at Loose head.

Field marshall (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 16:34
Quote:
Iíd suggest we pay more attention to the fact that Philips is on his sixth club in 7 seasons
No he's not! He's only played at 4 clubs in the past 9 seasons, and has only played for 4 different clubs overall. Where do people get this stuff from?

ale shark (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 16:41
Quote:
Field marshall
Quote:
Iíd suggest we pay more attention to the fact that Philips is on his sixth club in 7 seasons
No he's not! He's only played at 4 clubs in the past 9 seasons, and has only played for 4 different clubs overall. Where do people get this stuff from?

Fair enough FM, Bristol re-signed him so weíre his 5th club. Stand by my comment though.

Many clubs are starting to sell season tickets, we could do with a couple of big name first teamers to coincide with our sale date.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 16:44
I think the true answer is 5, as he had a season at London Scottish too on the way from exeter to Bris.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 17:00
MW you say we failed to sign Auterac, iíd Love to know how you know we tried to sign him? Someone with less Bath caps than Phillips this year. You really need to brush up on your Sale bashing, itís begining to look desperate.

Crutch (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 17:05
Quote:
MartWhit
Assuming Aulika does move on, the squad is no bigger yet than it is. Just rebalanced. Certainly we needed the lock and we needed to shed a back 3 player though.
I think if we really want to be better next year, we need at least 1 statement signing that both increases squad numbers and calibre. I think that player needs to be a centre, since a further solid squad player would be actually preferred at Loose head.

You'd think that TJ will be moving on. Can't be his interests or the club's to be hardly playing him.

Agree that 12 is our number one position to make a statement signing.

Loose head is an interesting conundrum for me. I think we need more than a back up that we'll actually use, but can't see us signing a "name" there with Ross so clearly established.

Field marshall (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 19:25
Quote:
I think the true answer is 5, as he had a season at London Scottish too on the way from exeter to Bris.
He's only played for four different clubs; Bristol, Exeter, L.Scottish and Bath and soon Sale. He went from his home town club (Bris) due to the club needing to shed 50% of their wage bill having failed to win promotion (again) and was widely tipped to go on to great things when he was at exeter and was their starting 8 before he broke his leg. Ex released him where he went to LS and he was in terrible shape. He then went home to bris where he got his stuff together before being offered a contract at Bath. Bath have offered him a contract but it wasn't as good as the sale offer. As above, his moves have been for pretty good reasons, he's never really been considered as surplus to requirements with the possible exception of exeter which was significantly due to injury. A lot of the bath fans turned their noses up to begin with but most appear to be sad to see him go now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/03/2018 19:26 by Field marshall.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 19:43
Even if was surplus to requirements else where, so what. So what McGuigan, he turned out ok didnít he? Bath fans arenít happy at losing him and add to that we have a 22 year old prop on a 5 year contract, I trust our prop scouts more than I trust MW.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/03/2018 19:46 by Monty9.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 20:55
Quote:
Monty9
Even if was surplus to requirements else where, so what. So what McGuigan, he turned out ok didnít he? Bath fans arenít happy at losing him and add to that we have a 22 year old prop on a 5 year contract, I trust our prop scouts more than I trust MW.

Why is it that virtually every post of yours has to include a dig at either MW or H's D? Just curious.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 21:35
Christoper, I wouldnít like to be the person to have to read through all my posts but even MW could say after private messages that I am not here after him. And HsD? Who doesnít enjoy telling him he <edit- yukon>.

Is this your way of teasing me to play with you a bit more? You need to have a more valid contribution to get my attention baby x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 17/03/2018 22:21 by yukon.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 22:17
Quote:
Monty9
Christoper, I wouldnít like to be the person to have to read through all my posts but even MW could say after private messages that I am not here after him. And HsD? Who doesnít enjoy telling him he talks out of his a r s e.
Is this your way of teasing me to play with you a bit more? You need to have a more valid contribution to get my attention baby x

As a Sale supporter I read most of the posts on this forum, yours included. On occasions, you make some good valid comments. Congratulations.

I merely wonder why you have such an obvious agenda with the two posters mentioned and why you have to have flog it at every opportunity.

Don't worry, I am not teasing you - I don't need, want or seek your attention. Wouldn't want to distract you from sticking pins in your MW and HsD dolls! Baby x

yukon (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 22:19
With my <edit> hat on, can we play nice please folks? Whether you agree with other postersí opinions or not, as long as they are within the forumís rules, theyíre entitled to them.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 22:26
Iím just delighted Chris thinks I sometimes make some valid comments. I may frame this post, thanks Chris.

I do however think you maybe focusing on certain posts rather than a general theme of picking people up who speak utter @#$%&e. Maybe some people do it more than others, hence you thinking I like them.

Out of interest, what are your thoughts on all our resigning and the 2 (so far) new players ?

As Yukon posts above, nothing is personal, we all love Sale, most of us love Rugby, and as Rugby is we also enjoy playing with each other.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 22:54
Fair do's. No offence meant on my part and I none taken by me.

WRT my thoughts Monty, I am absolutely delighted at the resignings and happy to have Jones and Phillips in the squad. Unlike a few, I like AJ and think this season he has really started to find his feet. Sure he is no Cipriani in attack but he is no slouch. He is defensively better and a much better kicker. Very happy to see Ross, Sam James and McGuigan agree new deals as all have played valuable roles this season and are clear premiership quality. None would have any difficulty getting another club and it is to Sales credit that we have retained them.

It is easy to be very happy at big name signings as they come with a reputation and proven quality. Where the DOR has to earn his crust is with squad and development signings. I trust in Dimes judgment in these areas as he gets more right than wrong.

I don't know a great deal about Jones but if Dimes thinks he is worth signing then I will go with that. Clearly we have lacked bulk in the second row since Mills left and Phillips will provide that along with some nous in the maul and ball carrying abilities. I don't see him as a regular starter but he will provide an option from the bench. These days more than ever, it is a squad game.

So, overall, I am pretty upbeat about the future. Will be even more so if we can nail Rohan and add a little more depth in a couple of key areas.

Olyy (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 23:14
......anyway.

Any speculation on these two forwards signings are?
The only players I can think of that we've been linked to are Mulipola, Taylor and Schonert (sp?) but I didn't think any were likely (Mulipola linked to multiple top French clubs, Taylor likely to stay at wasps and Sch... linked to Scotland)

clutch (IP Logged)
18 March, 2018 01:59
anyone wondering why one post has been edited but the same post can be seen in the next post as a quote. Yukon failing at moderating. Not that saying @rse is worthy of editing. We all talk out of it from time to time

Monty9 (IP Logged)
18 March, 2018 08:48
Keep up Olyy, weíve being linked with way more forwards than that

18 March, 2018 09:37
Barrow, Mostert, Singleton, Sinckler!!! are a few others linked as I can recall

Olyy (IP Logged)
18 March, 2018 10:09
Forgot about Barrow! That was so long ago, to be fair.
Sinckler is a pipe dream,
Not heard the singleton rumour.
Mostert is who I meant when I said Schonert, I think, haha

18 March, 2018 10:14
Fissler mentioned Singleton a few months back I think. There was also another SA prop whose name I canít remember. Mentioned at the same time as Schonert but less experienced??

clutch (IP Logged)
18 March, 2018 10:36
Tommy Taylor?

Barend (IP Logged)
18 March, 2018 12:26
Quote:
NuLS
There was also another SA prop whose name I canít remember. Mentioned at the same time as Schonert but less experienced??

Are we confusing Schonert (the Worcester prop who will hopefully be being shunted backwards by Ross Harrison next weeked) with Pierre Schoeman, the Blue Bulls loosehead?

The other prop was on the Lions ones, maybe Ruan Dreyer?

18 March, 2018 14:07
Yes Schoeman.

Yareet (IP Logged)
19 March, 2018 16:03
Quote:
Olyy

Quins' marketing for next year's season tickets has come out with Sink all over it. I'd say he's staying

ale shark (IP Logged)
19 March, 2018 16:14
I wonder whatís holding back the release of next seasonís STs. Is it:
a) Weíre waiting to announce a couple of stellar signings
b) Weíre undecided what day to play
c) Weíve not thought about it yet

19 March, 2018 22:04
J Beardmore (Jcool smiley claims that Dom Barrow is signing for Northampton

StalyShark (IP Logged)
19 March, 2018 22:08
Quote:
Newcastle under Lyme RUFC Shark
J Beardmore (Jcool smiley claims that Dom Barrow is signing for Northampton

With Evans, Andrei, Josh, Phillips and Nott (Postlethwaite in Jets)I doubt we will be in for one until Evansí deal runs out. Maybe Mostert if heís not forgotten how to do it with all this game time heís getting in the back row.

20 March, 2018 10:18
Another bus will roll along tonight.

Dis mus be da place

StalyShark (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 10:33
Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
Another bus will roll along tonight.

ďContract newsĒ sounds like resigning rather than new players. Coincidence about Barrow leaving though..?

20 March, 2018 10:36
That's what I surmised - not Barrow just another re-signing.

Dis mus be da place

20 March, 2018 10:49
Faf- 5 year contract extension !!!!

StalyShark (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 10:51
Quote:
Newcastle under Lyme RUFC Shark
Faf- 5 year contract extension !!!!

Please donít excite the animals too much.

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 11:15
Phillips will do a job and I expect hover around the 23, as others have said he will be utilised more the the winter months and when we need to tighten up. We needed a lock but personally Evans/Beaumont/Oristikov/Phillips/Nott/Polstlewaite doesnít feel hugely quality. Nott looks more like a blindside, Beaumont still hasnít found his feet there and Phillips I expect will also be expected to cover the back row.

Joe Jones looks like a big lad. Havenít seen him play so canít have a opinion on what heís actually like, but whatever happens I hope we can get him conditioned up and he will have some scrummaging pedigree from his time in France.

Until a LH and IC are signed I will not be applauding the recruitment. I will be watching if Gloucester centres such as Atkinson, Symons, Twelvetrees suddenly move on as that could signify RJVR heading there...

If RJVR chooses Cheltenham over the North, who do we try and get hold of? Thereís a huge over crowding of Nee Zealand centres, maybe try and pick off a straggler from there?

Re LH, I just canít think of who is next in line to be linked to us. French Top 14 props too costly, missing out on some other targets... just hope we donít get the crumbs...

LPCWOOKIE (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 11:49
Quote:
Yareet
Quote:
Olyy

Quins' marketing for next year's season tickets has come out with Sink all over it. I'd say he's staying

Yarde was all over their last marketing campaign just before Christmas

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Olyy (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 12:23
Yeah I can't see us moving for Barrow with the signing if Philips, and Nott already getting next to no game time.

If he'd have walked out of tigers a couple of months ago when evans and Beaumont were both injured then I could've seen us signing him then, but not now.

clutch (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 12:31
Ben Teo should be a target.

I hear Luke McLean has been ripping up trees at inside centre!

Could we go for one of the Gloucester centres, if RJVR goes to Gloucester?

MartWhit (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 12:45
I had felt that Banahans signing might take away from the Glaws effort to sign RJvR. Likely to be more useful at 12 than wing at time goes on.

Bradwall Boy (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 12:51
Quote:
clutch

That guy Atkinson seems to be doing well. Why not try him?(Sm100)

Yareet (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 13:14
Quote:
LPCWOOKIE
Quote:
Yareet
Quote:
Olyy

Well that was an unusual situation as he left somewhat unexpectedly.

That said, he left Quins at the end of October so using him at Christmas was a cock up!

StalyShark (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 17:18
Quote:
clutch

Lukeís last stint with us didnít turn out too well so letís hope not!

thekeg (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 17:28
Quote:
StalyShark
Quote:
clutch

Lukeís last stint with us didnít turn out too well so letís hope not!

Think clutch was being sarcastic about Maclean.....

StalyShark (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 17:51
WGJ for 3 years.

thekeg (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 18:17
Great news, probably our most improved player this year

C3Q (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 22:16
Thoroughly deserved after an excellent season and great news.

Crutch (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 08:46
Would have to assume he's earned himself a significant wage increase too. Congrats WGJ

LPCWOOKIE (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 10:32
Quote:
Yareet
Quote:
LPCWOOKIE
Quote:
Yareet
Quote:
Olyy

Well that was an unusual situation as he left somewhat unexpectedly.

That said, he left Quins at the end of October so using him at Christmas was a cock up!

Apparently part of the problem was he was the only player who had been shot in both kits at the photoshoot. TBF though I think the campaign started in October/November but was certainly still running in December.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 10:33
Great news and well done WGJ and to the Club for spotting and developing him. Hope he can kick on ever further.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 10:39
Yes, excellent for Will-Griff and Sale.

ballsout (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 12:06
Nice one WillGriff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net