rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Haley cited
Chris1850 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 16:17

Re: Haley cited
StudentShark (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 16:27
No malice. But stupid, unnecessary clear-out, bad technique and potentially dangerous.
Ban coming, potentially next see him play over the water

BH90 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 16:29
Stretching things to even call it a clear-out, as Bassett was about a metre behind the breakdown. Hard to see how all the officials missed it.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 16:31
Still. At least we didnít let his replacement go back mid season to being a try machine in the other code.

StudentShark (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 16:32
I am using the term loosely.
But I can only assume that 'clearing-out' is what he thought he was doing. Without that assumption it's just straight up assault...

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 16:36
So that will be him out for the season....

That now leaves - Yarde one wing, Paulo on the other. Bryan Mc to fullback. Both James at centres.

This assume JoC is out for the season and Addison is crock as normal.

Be a shame for Haley to finish his Sale career without a proper goodbye.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 16:38
Whys has be been sent to 'Coventry'?

BH90 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 16:38
I'd go for option 2!

Yareet (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 16:43
Yeah I doubt we'll see Mr Haley in a Sale kit again - well not until he re-joins after his sojourn across the sea. Shame to end his Sale career like that.

As an aside, I do like the RFU site having details of the citing along with the video. Helps anyone who hasn't seen the game to know what they are talking about.

mattw7787 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 16:43
Any chance Leota might be back before the end of the season? Would love to see a head on collision between him an sinoti. That could cause an earthquake!

Monty9 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 16:44
Quote:
MartWhit
Still. At least we didnít let his replacement go back mid season to being a try machine in the other code.

Go on MW, iíll bite. Wondering how Charnley as a winger who wasnít a try machine in Union would have been Haleyís replacement at FB? You are really having to clutch at straws with the onfield success at the moment arenít you.

Crutch (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 16:44
Fairly sure he's never had any kind of citing or even card for anything like this before. If you were going to pick the player in the squad least likely to be done for aggressive play it would probably be him.

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 16:58
Quote:
Monty9
Quote:
MartWhit

Go on MW, iíll bite. Wondering how Charnley as a winger who wasnít a try machine in Union would have been Haleyís replacement at FB? You are really having to clutch at straws with the onfield success at the moment arenít you.

I actually agree with MartWhit.

Charnley gone. Solomona banner and potentially now Haley too. OíConnor and Addison both injured.

Itíll mean McGuigan to full back, and Charnley would have gone to wing. Instead we will potentially have to start Odogwu our wide and heís barely played top level rugby for 18 months.

So yes, it would have been useful to have Charnley around, Just like it would have been last week to avoid the 6:2 split which very nearly went very wrong.

clutch (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 17:11
Not in favour of criticising the club for behaving admirably. Charnley wanted to go, and if he'd have stayed, he may have missed the window for leaving to join Warrington. Plus, you can't legislate for the least likely person to get banned in the team getting banned, Solomona getting banned for dubious reasons, and Addison getting injured. Wonder what the odds of all 3 would be.

The fact he's scoring tries in League is pretty irrelevant, plus Odogwu has a much better strike rate in Union, if that is what were are measuring! Added to the fact that many on this board would rather Odogwu started ahead of Charnley anyway. Plus, it gives another excellent youngster a chance to shine.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 17:13
Exactly Clutch.

Great opportunity for Paolo. Weíve all wanted him to see more game time so if it does come to that I hope to see him do well.

Olyy (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 17:52
Odogwu has looked significantly better than Charnley in Union, to be fair.
Will be good to see him get some more game time - definitely deserves it, he stood out in a losing team in his last performance. Good defence and always lively on attack.

TrailblazingScot (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 18:00
The footage is pretty damning. I can totally understand why Wasps fans are aggrieved by the incident as it almost certainly cost them the game.

I agree that it was careless rather than malicious, but it was worthy of a red card.

Haley - a great attacking full back, except when he slips...

StalyShark (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 18:11
Just heat of the moment daft ness on his part, not a malicious character but heíll be out until our playoff...

Barend (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 18:16
Step forwards Messrs Wilkinson and Redpath.

Cometh the hour, cometh the prodigies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2018 18:40 by Barend.

clutch (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 19:40
Wasps final try should have been chalked off so it all evens out

thekeg (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 19:52
Quote:
MartWhit

Not long ago you said weíd got too many back three players winking smiley

Timpers (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 20:02
A forarm right in the mush; the touch judge missed that. Still, they're at least consistent as they missed the offside at the ruck too.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 20:11
we did. And I have no objection to CHarnley and ANO (although preferably not the homegrown lads who did actually leave) leaving. But at a time that suits us and not them. Which means when our playing business is done and dusted. Certainly not mid season when well in the selection frame.

Regardless of what any of us think of Charnley vs Odogwu, Dimes thought Charnley the better player, and it is Charnley who would be filling a wing slot this weekend, probably even if Addison or O'connor were fit. But he cant because once again we released a player from his contract mid season. Its another cost saving decision which has compromised the team on the pitch.

ale shark (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 20:23
Quote:
Barend
Step forwards Messrs Wilkinson and Redpath.
Cometh the hour, cometh the prodigies.

They've probably got A'levels to worry about. They might not be allowed to play.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 20:33
Quote:
thekeg
Quote:
MartWhit

Not long ago you said weíd got too many back three players winking smiley

Yeah remind me what his comments were when we signed Yarde? Haha. Not turned out to badly that signing has it. Heíll always find a way of turning any situation into a nonsense dig, even if he contradicts himself.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 20:41
Theres no contradiction.

Yarde's a decent player, but I still see no reason to think McGuigan wouldnt have matched the feats of Yarde on the left wing. I also believe he's more costly than most of our wing corps, less positionally flexible, and a risk to the culture based on past behaviour. I also think the signing of Yarde has played at least a small part in the decisions of Haley and Addison to leave. I wouldnt have signed Yarde then, and I dont think he'll turn out to be a better player in the long run that McGuigan is or Addison would have been. Thus, I believed then as I believe now that the club is not better off for his signing.

Feel free to disagree, but in the meantime turn off the Dad switch again.

clutch (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 20:54
Addison is rightly or wrongly a 13/15. Haley is a 15 full stop so why would his arrival cause Haley to leave. Or are you assuming it is down to his character? In which case is the Ireland thing something they made up as a diversion.

I think Yarde is a better winger than McGuigan but agree that is open to opinion.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 20:59
correct clutch.

But I think Haley in particular didnt welcome the back 3 congestion. Yarde not a direct threat at winger, but meant that O'Connor considered really only as a fullback and Addison also being pushed to play 15 with centres returning from injury (eventually) and no wing vacancy to move to.

thekeg (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 21:17
Disagree with pretty much all of that MW but fair enough....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net