rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Rugby Highlights... Something to get off my chest
FinFan (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 11:26
Am I the only one that finds this type of editing of Rugby highlights mind-numbingly poor?

Edinburgh v Ulster

Of the 4 minutes of "highlights", there is only 60 seconds committed to any actual rugby highlights, 20 seconds of which is a scrum!

There is 90 Seconds of footage of largely straight-forward conversions or penalties and the final 90 seconds is made up of stock stadium pan-shots, try celebrations or pictures of Duncan Weir looking surly.

This was a game of 6 tries and I would argue the highlights give context for precisely none of them. Most do not even bother stretching to how the entire phase of play that results in the try, just cutting to the player after a line break has been made.

Edinburgh and Ulster are two teams scrapping for European qualification and potentially a domestic Semi-final berth. Over 50% of the players in this game have international honors. This should be a flagship game! Forget the Beebs ineptitude, how on earth does anyone professionally affiliated with the Pro14 see this and not lose their minds?! Are they not under intense commercial pressure from the Premiership and Top14?? Are attendances in the Pro14 not dwindling??

Please can someone confirm I am not losing my mind?

Rant over.

Cmon Sayul.

Re: Rugby Highlights... Something to get off my chest
Siggy89 (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 12:40
Have you tried watching the Commonwealth Games highlights programme in the evening? Ninety minutes the majority of which is spent in the studio with the presenters waffling on and on and on. Then they stop and an athletics expert goes to a big screen where he runs a very brief recording pointing out where it all went wrong. If you are lucky you get to see a minute or two of action every ten minutes or so.

I really want to support the BBC but recently they seem to be trying to prove they shouldn't have the rights to broadcast any sport at all.

Osric (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 12:45
Falcon fan in peace. Agree entirely re both. Some of the BBC highlights are so fast moving that the viewer is left with zero context, so the programme becomes meaningless. Far too ,uch of Gabby and co struggling in the studio, and not enough of the actual sport. Watching kickers line up a kick is not a highlight, for me.
Another tight game tomorrow?

WiganSaler (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 13:52
IMVHO at the moment BBC has lost the plot when it comes to reporting anything other than Football and Brexit. I am very selective now with Aunty, just R3, some R4, comedy BBC4 EU Scandi drama, University Challenge and the latest comedy gold... Cunk on Britain.
It just seems to have lost all objectivity and is morphing into UK's Pravda!

--------------------------------------------------
Wigan "Home for the Bewildered"

Fully paid up member of the LSSSSC.
"Long Suffering Sale Sharks Supporters Club"

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 14:09
R5 presenters really irritate me. They have all taken to saying 'we will keep you across......such and such event'. It is do noticeable and is presumably an attempt to sound 'trendy'. It may be a colloquial expression but its deliberate use by people for whom it is not a natural way of spesking is simply ridiculous.

While we are on the subject of the BBC, how Nidal whatever his name is on R5 in the afternoons is allowed to broadcast and espouse his unashamed political views on a daily basisby virtue of the licence payer is totally beyond me.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 14:09
What? Wait! There's a plot to Brexit?

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net