rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Reducing Haley and Solomona bans
Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 18:11
It has come to my attention through some research that we could technically shorten the bans of Mike Haley and Denny Solomona by one week. Their bans were taken to only include premiership games since they were the only games scheduled for the team though their bans will extend one week longer because of the fallow week of the euro semi-finals.

Since our Aviva A league match with Leicester that was supposed to take place on Monday was postponed, if it's rescheduled for the weekend when the euro semi-finals take place this should now count as a 'week' that would take up one of the weeks where they are banned.

Nick Malouf basically had his 3 week ban reduced because Leicester A had one of their games during the weekend of the euro quarter-finals.
[www.bbc.com]

If we aren't allowed to include an 'A league' match as part of a weeks worth of a ban and Leicester are, then surely the RFU and premiership rugby are guilty of double standards.

Re: Reducing Haley and Solomona bans
Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 18:17
And while we’re at it, we could arrange a random midweek “fixture” with Sale FC, to knock another one off. Worked for Sonny Bill Williams and the All Blacks, didn’t it?!

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 18:26
Quote:
Pappje Shark
And while we’re at it, we could arrange a random midweek “fixture” with Sale FC, to knock another one off. Worked for Sonny Bill Williams and the All Blacks, didn’t it?!

Midweek wouldn't count as it's the length of the ban that counts more than the number of games. However If any teams you represent don't have any "meaningful games" during a week that ban is carried over to the next meaningful fixture.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 18:33
Ah yes, thanks Irish. I was getting a bit excitable there.

Crutch (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 19:12
Sounds like an absurd rule to me. Surely should only apply for first team fixtures.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 19:31
It is absurd. But given the precedent, we should use it!

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 19:32
Although - can you imagine Leicester consenting to it if they know it brings Denny back for the final fixture?

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 19:41
Quote:
Pappje Shark
Although - can you imagine Leicester consenting to it if they know it brings Denny back for the final fixture?

It's funny that;
a) Leicester have already done this,
b) The A league fixture is against Leicester,
c) If Leicester rather than sale postponed the 1st match they'd have egg on their face,
d) Leicester would face a stronger Sale side should the A league match take place soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2018 19:44 by Irish_Shark.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 19:56
Boys and girls., we have us a loophole.

The Jets are due to play the Falcons on Monday 16th. By my reckoning, that’s a new week and a meaningful fixture. Which would make Mike available for Exeter and Denny for Leicester. Maybe this is why we didn’t appeal for Denny, or at least a part thereof?

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 21:24
I just hope our DoR is thinking of this, we need all hands at the pump for this run in.

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 12:59
Quote:
Irish_Shark
I just hope our DoR is thinking of this, we need all hands at the pump for this run in.

He might be more concerned with the potential sanction for what would appear to be a blatant example of taking the proverbial.

Would we really get away with seriously suggesting either would have participated in two "meaningful fixtures" within a 72 hour period?

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 13:31
Quote:
ageinghoody
Quote:
Irish_Shark

He might be more concerned with the potential sanction for what would appear to be a blatant example of taking the proverbial.

Would we really get away with seriously suggesting either would have participated in two "meaningful fixtures" within a 72 hour period?

I don't see that that matters

If he had received a one week ban, he would have been available and able to play in the jets match

If he has a three week ban and there are qualifying matches on three consecutive weeks, surely, the sentence has been served?

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 13:38
If we can legally say that that Jets game counts then it makes total sense to do it, even if it could look bad. Who cares? The whole Solomona saga has made the disciplinary system look flawed and ineffective, so let’s get it so that our boys are back one week earlier.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 13:40
Ageing - yes it would be taking the mickey. But the precedent has been set and I’d have no compunction about using it.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 14:37
Leicester have used this loophole for Malouf so no reason why we shouldn't do the same

MartWhit (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 15:35
there really is no moral ground left to be ploughed on any side of the argument, so I say we should go for it.

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 17:29
If the precedent has been set and the tactic can be used without risk of making things worse, then I take it back.

I have no idea what the timescales were between the various matches deemed to have served Malouf's suspension.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 21:16
Quote:
ageinghoody
I have no idea what the timescales were between the various matches deemed to have served Malouf's suspension.

Incident happens on Sunday 25th of march, disciplinary ruling on 27th of march, outcome is that he is suspended for three weeks. He is available to play from 17th of April. This is exactly 3 weeks after the hearing. If they did not have the rearranged fixture versus Newcastle A on the 1st of April his suspension would have likely lasted another week.

Haley has a 2 week ban meted out on the 11th of April and ending on the 1st of May, this equates to 2 weeks and 6 days as we weren't thinking about the possibilities of A games counting as meaningful fixtures that would eat into a suspension.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net