rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Barnes on Dimes in the Times
Chris1850 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 12:05

Re: Barnes on Dimes in the Times
TrailblazingScot (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 12:28
Enjoyed the first paragraph and a half.

15 April, 2018 12:33
The Leicester Lip came up with a good suggestion:-

After the game the citing officer consults with the offended player as to whether the offended player wants the officer to make the citing.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 16:51
Didn't Mr Norling the first's statement to the panel in the Solomona case indicate that he had done just that, and that Shilcock had initially indicated that he did wish to proceed, but later changed his mind. It was RFU who insisted that Mr Norling proceed with is report.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Yareet (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 16:55
Quote:
TrailblazingScot
Enjoyed the first paragraph and a half.

Exactly.

Chris if you’d like comment from the masses, can you at least give us the gist of what Barnes says please

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 17:38
Apologies. I assumed the link worked for everyone but perhaps you have to be a subscriber? Anyway, The article in full is as follows:

Sale’s director of rugby, Steve Diamond, made one of the more acute attacks on the Rugby Football Union last week. It was lost in the hyperbole surrounding the four-week ban for an alleged homophobic comment by the Sale and England international Denny Solomona.

Forget the “57 old farts”. Unlike Will Carling’s memorable throwaway, Diamond’s quotes are a concern for those who care about the values of rugby union. “Every time you go to a disciplinary hearing,” Diamond said, “what is thrown down your throat are the values of the game.” If you treasure some of the old virtues with which former and amateur players love to garland the game, you will appreciate what comes next. Diamond continued: “The values of the game are why people play the game at every level . . . what happens on the field, stays on the field.”

We are talking of foul play, which — below the professional level — includes punching, the occasional kick, late tackling, to name but a few of the things that go on. In Diamond’s world, at full-time: “You shake hands. Clap each other off and it all ends.”

If you have never played the game it sounds like sanctimonious twaddle. But to have laced a pair of rugby boots is to understand what the former Sale hooker is saying. There was certainly a brotherhood of the unholy in his day, before and after. I played against Diamond. His battles with Graham Dawe bordered on the brutal. Yet post match, they would share that beer in the bar.

This was the nature of the game. This willingness to wallop the living daylights out of your opposite number from start to finish, to respect your on-field enemy off the field, was at the heart of the sport. As a fly-half, it would normally be the openside who came gunning for me. Neath’s Lyn Jones could be particularly unpleasant. A late tackle seemingly five seconds after I kicked a ball, with a knuckle rapping the back of the head as he jogged back into position — me picking myself up from the dirt. Such little incidents would be the stuff of jokes after the game.

“That’s gone. The RFU has taken that away from us now.” This is the bleakest of verdicts from Diamond’s perspective. Its source, the seemingly arbitrary nature of the Solomona case which strikes at the heart of the English game. He claims the RFU is too concerned with its “moral compass”. It has lost its way. In this instance the RFU panel were never going to find Solomona innocent. That would have played to the online populist frenzy.

Had there been clear and obvious evidence of blatant homophobia it would be different but this incident is even more shrouded in ambiguity than the Mathieu Bastareaud case.
Yes, the bloke we have been raving about for the past few internationals, the one we were busy writing off because of an on-field, heat-of-the-moment rant. The RFU should remind itself of its role as governing body of the English game. It is not the moral arbiter.

I believe the sport has no greater percentage of homophobes than any other walks of life — those proven to preach hate rather than spout rubbish against any minorities on the field should be punished. However, I’ll accept the game has a few more aggressive types than in more sedentary walks of life. And don’t we love them. The after-dinner circuit is full of forwards with tales of bad behaviour. Aged Lions captains who tell of hotel wrecking exploits bring down the house. Jason Leonard, recent president of the RFU no less, revered for the cheeky grin and sneaky ways.

And then there is my mate, Gareth Chilcott. As nice a man as you could meet off the field, as horrible as they came on it. Another player who once fitted easily into Diamond’s world of gentlemanly thugs.

When he stepped over the mark — it happened on the odd occasion — there would be a referee to send him off and a trip to the Pound Inn for a disciplinary hearing. But these were the exceptions because players sorted out excess, words and deeds. Raking someone’s back because they were slowing down the ball was fine. Stamping on a head was not. When violence soared beyond usual levels it resulted in fist fights and early baths. Referees believed (and some of the best still do) in the self-policing of the game. Only a violent sport with Diamond’s definition of values could achieve the level of control witnessed through the years.

Long ago the International Board (as World Rugby then was) ruined the ruck with their fear of cosmetic injuries; skin-deep scars from studs on the backs of legs look bad, signify nothing. Now we are left with the breakdown, slow ball, neck rolls, body shots, increasing concussion, nothing obvious. All this because administrators pandered to a new audience perceived not to buy into the traditional values Steve Diamond believes the RFU continue to strips away with their uncalled for interference.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 19:40
What a load of twaddle....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net