rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Jets v Newcastle
Monty9 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 08:41
[www.salesharks.com]

Leota makes his return to Rugby..... at Blindside!

Re: Jets v Newcastle
StalyShark (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 08:50
It'll keep him busy! Does this mean Haley will be back for the Exeter match?

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 11:36
Staly - no idea! Iíve tweeted the question to the clubís twitter account, to a rugby journalist, to Neil Leigh on Friday evening. But reply there comes none.

It is quite possible that the club have thought of it and plan to say nothing until announcing Haley in the line up for Exeter.

clutch (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 11:44
More to the point, why is our 3/4 line entirely Pacific Islanders?

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 12:22
Clutch - if you had to do whatever it took to get a side out in order to make the suspension gambit work, you would, wouldnít you? Even if that meant trialling a load of previously unknowns. I see Quins - who had to postpone v Glos a few times due to front row shortages, are now fit to go. Whereupon Glos have postponed due to - yep, you guessed it - a front row shortage.

Bull Shark (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 12:35
Quote:
clutch

Who the heck are 15.Tomasi Tanumi, 14.Taraisi Wara, 13.Billy Wara, 12.Henry Vaka, and where have they come from?

StalyShark (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 13:15
Quote:
Bull Shark
Quote:
clutch

Who the heck are 15.Tomasi Tanumi, 14.Taraisi Wara, 13.Billy Wara, 12.Henry Vaka, and where have they come from?

Possibly MMU students?

ale shark (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 13:19
Quote:
Bull Shark
Quote:
clutch

For those who have polished their pitchforks on the other thread they might want to google Henry Vaka and get down to the ground. Or tweet their frothing outrage.

JohnJ of HM (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:49
Quote:
ale shark
Quote:
Bull Shark
Quote:
clutch

For those who have polished their pitchforks on the other thread they might want to google Henry Vaka and get down to the ground. Or tweet their frothing outrage.

Oh dear, Hope we don't sign him in that case

Olyy (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:53
[www.shropshirestar.com]

Doesn't sound like the type of person we'd want associated with the club to be honest

Bull Shark (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:39
Why not? The incident was 2 and 1/2 years ago and he received his punishment. There is every chance he has put this behind him and deserves the chance to carry on with his life unless you know something further?

Olyy (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:48
Call me old fashioned but I wouldn't want to associate with someone who smacked their wife so many times they can't count, and left them with a broken cheekbone.

16 April, 2018 18:39
7 - 7 try Leota try Penney

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 18:47
Canít beat a bit of whataboutery eh, Ale?

16 April, 2018 18:52
7 - 12 try Blamire

Dis mus be da place

16 April, 2018 19:17
7 - 12 H-t

Dis mus be da place

16 April, 2018 19:27
12 = 12 try Vaka

Dis mus be da place

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 19:34
Quote:
Bull Shark
Why not? The incident was 2 and 1/2 years ago and he received his punishment. There is every chance he has put this behind him and deserves the chance to carry on with his life unless you know something further?

He wouldnít have only got a ten month suspended sentence if this went to trial now. There is a concerted different in sentencing guidelines and legislation. He sounds like a violent and nasty man. No place for it.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 19:50
Quote:
Bull Shark

The incident took place in Dec 15 but it looks as though it wasn't finally prosecuted until Sept/Oct 2017. That means he will be subject to his suspended sentence until around March 2019. He certainly won't be anywhere near completing the rehabilitiave work ordered as part of the sentence yet either.

Grievous bodily harm is a very serious offence. These days it is only prosecuted in the most serious of cases as the police will more readily accept a guilty plea to the lesser charge of Common Assault than a not guilty plea to ABH. Though I note that Vaka actually pleaded guilty suggesting the police/CPS were very confident of securing a conviction on the more serious charge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2018 19:52 by Chris1850.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 20:01
Quote:
RugbyMarvel
Quote:
Bull Shark

He wouldnít have only got a ten month suspended sentence if this went to trial now. There is a concerted different in sentencing guidelines and legislation. He sounds like a violent and nasty man. No place for it.

It didn't go to trial. He pleaded guilty. Don't know what you mean by 'a concerted difference.....' Sentencing guidelines haven't changed recently so sentence today would be similar anyway (depending on the individual judge). The offence passed the custody threshold, hence the 10 month sentence. It was suspended as presumably he was able to demonstrate significant personal reasons why he should not go to custody immediately. These might include previous good record, significant remorse, recognition that he needs to address his problem and is doing something about it already, significant hardship to others if he is imprisoned (e.g. his family) etc etc.

16 April, 2018 20:12
Won 27 - 24 huzzah

Dis mus be da place

16 April, 2018 20:14
2nd half tries for Vaka, Tanumi , Booth,

Dis mus be da place

StalyShark (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 20:19
Did Leota survive? If so he should be benching against Exeter. Good news for once!

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 20:36
Quote:
StalyShark
Did Leota survive? If so he should be benching against Exeter. Good news for once!
I'd like to see him get a one year contract extension if we can squeeze him into the budget

StalyShark (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 20:43
Quote:
Irish_Shark
Quote:
StalyShark
I'd like to see him get a one year contract extension if we can squeeze him into the budget

He's been a big miss this year given that we have missed a lot of bosh in the backs (RJVR withstanding).

Bull Shark (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 20:54
Quote:
StalyShark
Yep played for 40 mins including a try.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 20:57
Quote:
Bull Shark
Quote:
StalyShark
Yep played for 40 mins including a try.

I'm asuming that means he was subbed at half term and wasn't broken. 20 mins against Exeter then. Plus Haley back.
Anyone know what Addison has actually done to himself?

Hirdyshark (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 21:10
Quote:
StalyShark
I'm asuming that means he was subbed at half term and wasn't broken. 20 mins against Exeter then. Plus Haley back.
Anyone know what Addison has actually done to himself?

Was wearing a knee brace at the Wasps match.

45jumper (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 07:16
I'd like to see Leota stay, he's an immensely popular man in the dressing room and could be ideal as a leader in the AW teams (or Challenge Cup if we miss the top 6). Perhaps in a similar role to Seymour this season.
This is assuming his knee is up to it. I would imagine that his stint at 6 was just to get some gametime under his belt - we have tons of back rowers but are short in the backs.

Olyy (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 08:29
Agree with everything 45 said,
A years extension with him offering some experience and ballast in a 2nd choice midfield (presuming Rohan materializes ) would be a smart move.

17 April, 2018 09:10
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Da77OLwWkAc_M9S.jpg

Dis mus be da place

iBozz (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 09:17
Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
Won 27 - 24 huzzah

The scoreboard showed a result of 26 - 24, Mrs T, and as I wasn't doing it I must assume that it was correct.

I can't find anything on The Iffy yet but no doubt the correct score will be posted anon.

Our first half was pretty dire but I think that, during the half time break, the players had been given some gentle advice for we came out a completely different side, scoring two tries in quick succession. Towards the end we were under a bit of pressure on our line and put in some solid defence but managed to scrape the win at No Side.

I thought that Sir had a good game.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

17 April, 2018 09:26
2 goals, 2 tries, 1 kicked goal = 27.

Dis mus be da place

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 09:47
If they only kicked one goal, how on earth did they get the other two?[:wor kid:]
I presume Mrs T means 4 tries, two of them successfully converted and a penalty/field goal?

17 April, 2018 09:49
A kicked conversion is 2 points, a penalty or drop goal is 3 points. I think you must be new to rugby H's dad...

Dis mus be da place

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 10:10
A try is 5 points Mrs T. a conversion adds 2, and a (dropped/field/penalty) goal is 3 Mrs T! Are you new to rugby?
If you win a match by a single goal, have you won by 3 or 7 points Mrs T.?
I would always say 3 points.
I suspect you think it's 7.
Using "goal" to denote a converted try is so last millenium....
That nomenclature is imprecise and leads to confusion.

17 April, 2018 10:19
Nonsense.

A conversion converts a try into a goal - the clue is in the name and it's been so in the three centuries the game has been played.

A penalty goal and a dropped goal are self explanatory even to someone like you.

Dis mus be da place

pa8 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 10:31
Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
2 goals, 2 tries, 1 kicked goal = 27.

I think it was four tries each, Sale converted three and Falcons 2.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 11:29
Quote:
Mrs T.
A penalty goal and a dropped goal are self explanatory even to someone like you.
Absolutely, but you used "kicked goal"!
A conversion, penalty goal and drop goal are all kicked. Even you must realize that.

ale shark (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 11:49
[twitter.com]

Twitter says 27-24 but it added 1 point to the Jets in the 79th minute for no reason.

What pa8 says
Jets scored 4 tries, 3 of them converted.
Newcastle scored 4 tries, converting 2.
26-24 was the final score.

Thanks to Newcastle for playing the game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/04/2018 11:53 by ale shark.

iBozz (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 12:46
Thank goodness I wasnít still doing the board, heaven knows what it would have showed!

Iím still going for 26 - 24 which is agreed by the Newcastle Iffy.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

johneverton (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 13:21
Stick with 26-24, iBozz.

Jets: Tries - Leota, Vaka, Tanumi, Booth. Cons. - Robbins (3)
Falcons: Tries - Penny, Blamire (2), Stuart. Cons. - Matavesi (2)

Our Academy reporter Phil Crow has a report (which I've checked) somewhere in the ether between Brooklands and Carrington.

I'll find out whence it's gone.......... :-)

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 14:26
Quote:
johneverton
Stick with 26-24, iBozz.
Jets: Tries - Leota, Vaka, Tanumi, Booth. Cons. - Robbins (3)
Falcons: Tries - Penny, Blamire (2), Stuart. Cons. - Matavesi (2)

Our Academy reporter Phil Crow has a report (which I've checked) somewhere in the ether between Brooklands and Carrington.

I'll find out whence it's gone.......... :-)

Just saw that our away jets fixture against Leicester that had been postponed is a 20-0 win to them according to premiership rugby site, why is that?

ale shark (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 14:42
Presumably the standard walk-over result for when a team pulls out of the game and it can't be rescheduled. Equivalent to 4 unconverted tries is my guess (i.e 5 point wins). There's quite a few 20-0 results in there.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 16:15
Any ideas why the likes of Moore, Reed and Sturgess didnít play?

johneverton (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 16:38
Moore & Reed injured; Sturgess on the report at scrum half

StalyShark (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 16:46
Quote:
johneverton
Moore & Reed injured; Sturgess on the report at scrum half

Thanks John, missed Sturgessí name. Any chance the Jetsí games could be on YouTube next year like the Worcester game?

Also, any idea where our pre season games will be this summer?

emerging shark (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 16:51
Haley and Addison were in the local pub near Kingston Parks pre match last Friday...

johneverton (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 17:07
Staly: (a) will ask and (b) No mention yet.

Am not back at Carrington HQ until Monday.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 17:09
Quote:
johneverton
Staly: (a) will ask and (b) No mention yet.
Am not back at Carrington HQ until Monday.

Thanks John, much appreciated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net