rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Israel Folau
Olyy (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 20:43
The Rugby Paper reckons we're offering him 750k

I don't believe a word of it tbh, they're about as reliable as random Twitter accounts these days

Re: Israel Folau
Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 21:01
Quote:
Olyy
I don't believe a word of it tbh, they're about as reliable as random Twitter accounts these days

I hope we're bringing in Olding and Jackson too, as well as offering Ashley Johnson a contract after his likely impending suspension is completed. Might as well bring in Tomás Lavanini as well, he hasn't done anything stupid off the pitch, but we need someone to concede tonnes of penalties on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/04/2018 21:08 by Irish_Shark.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 21:09
It’ll be good outreach to the LGBT community with him and Denny...
Could man a new club shop on Canal Street.
Just a few ideas.

Major Bloodnok (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 22:05
Please, no. Just no.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg
Somewhere in the South Stand

ulsterlad (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 23:09
No. Please NO!

He is very entitled to his beliefs but publicly expressing them as it seems he has to do will not help Sale publicly nor with any major sponsor.

He can express hisi Christainity and religion without having to single out people. Unfortunately he seems to HAVE to focus on LGBT people. He doesn't mention the biblical passages about tattoos, nor adultery, nor divorce much.

He is the DUP of rugby and that is a mindset I hoped I had left 20 years ago.

clutch (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 23:55
The DUP of rugby. Wow, what a sentence

ulsterlad (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 00:29
Says it better than I ever could:

The West Wing.

President Josiah Bartlet: Good. I like your show. I like how you call homosexuality an abomination.

Dr. Jenna Jacobs: I don't say homosexuality is an abomination, Mr. President. The Bible does.

President Josiah Bartlet: Yes, it does. Leviticus.

Dr. Jenna Jacobs: 18:22.

President Josiah Bartlet: Chapter and verse. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions while I had you here. I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be? While thinking about that, can I ask another? My Chief of Staff Leo McGarry insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or is it okay to call the police? Here's one that's really important 'cause we've got a lot of sports fans in this town: Touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean. Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point? Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother John for planting different crops side by side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads? Think about those questions, would you? One last thing: While you may be mistaking this for your monthly meeting of the Ignorant Tight-Ass Club, in this building, when the President stands, nobody sits.

ulsterlad (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 00:50
Way O/T

Specifically for the hyprocite :

Leviticus 19:28, which says,”You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the Lord."

Just a few pages away from the man lying with man passage he uses as proof that being gay is sinful.

And let's not forget the many biblical passages that the DUP chose to ignore, like:

Timothy 2:11-15
A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness. But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet. For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve

I am sorry because I do respect people with religious beliefs, but I hate with a passion people who twist the text to their own agenda.

So yes, he is the DUP of rugby!

JohnJ of HM (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 07:16
Please please No! I cannot understand why he has not been given a lengthy suspension. Homophobia has no place on Society in general or rugby in particular.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/04/2018 07:17 by JohnJ of HM.

muddydwarf (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 10:14
No No No!!

I've heard it said that he is entitled to his views, perhaps he is but he isn't entitled to project them on anyone else.
I've known a few Evangelical "Christians" and they do believe they have a religious duty to spread their viewpoint - "witnessing" I believe it is called.

Religion doesn't provide you with an excuse for bigotry, and let's be clear that Israel Folau is a bigot.

He would be exactly the PR disaster that the media would love, especially coming on the heels of the Solomona banning (no matter that it was a strange case).

stevene (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 10:33
Jeez. Wasn't it Evelyn Beatrice hall who said I don't agree with what you have to say but I'll defend to death your right to say it???

He has an opinion linked to his faith. Not something I agree with (or believe to be true). However he believes all homosexual acts are a sin. He also believes in repenting your sins is the gateway to heaven. He also (probably) believes he/ we all are sinners and will have to repent our sins (including heterosexuals and probably tattoos!) before we allowed into heaven. I am an avowed atheist and even I know that.

His (ignorant) views are almost matched by the ignorant politically correct waffle I have read during this whole saga. He is entitled to his views which are in line with his religious beliefs which are, even as an aethist, as important to me to allow in society which allows equality based on gender, race, age or sexuality. However the UK is also a secular society and, for those with strong religious beliefs, last time I looked homosexuality was (wrongly in my opinion) a sin. What he said wasn't illegal. Perhaps those criticising folau might want to turn their attention to the teachers of such views rather than the pupils?

Personally no issue with us signing folau. I also hope he has a few nights out in the village and living in Manchester I hope might change his views to something I feel more comfortable with. Either way criticise religions for these views and what they teach, not those which are taught these and believe them to be true.

muddydwarf (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 12:05
Folau is indeed welcome to hold whatever unpleasant views he wishes.
As soon as he puts them into the public domain he opens himself up to criticism for those views.
Hiding behind "God said it, not me" is intellectual cowardice IMO & should be challenged at every opportunity.
Freedom OF Religion also encompasses Freedom FROM Religion, & his right to a particular view stops where those views affect other people.
He's a high profile sportsperson & therefore has the opportunity to affect others.

We as members of the public are also free to express our views upon his views, and also to mention our disdain for them & to say how much we dislike the idea of him playing for SS.

stevene (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 12:27
A) he hasn't said others can hold different views. He answered a question which he answered honestly based on the beliefs he holds. He hasn't hid behind his religion, he answered a question based on his religious views.

cool smileyI completely agree. However you can disagree with someone's views and try and understand why he holds those views (and address those). Or we can stone him to death from the higher plain of social media. It seems the later is more en vogue.

C) read the first line of my post. Of course you can express an opinion. So can Folau. If the club sign him then you and others can "put up or shut up". However I do wonder whether the noise of some drowns out the silence of others. That seems par for the course in trial by social media currently in a lot of instances.

D)I still find it amazing that we can spend time attacking an individual high profile person yet fail to address the source of those views. Folaus spiritual education is the root of the issue.

Last post on the subject from me now.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 17:15
genuine question:
What else could £750k pa buy on the field?

clutch (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 17:26
Exactly. Would much rather we didn’t have a marque player on a silly salary. Not sure that works long term.

22 April, 2018 17:30
How about Coetzee Fafs mate from the Lions. I watched them the other day and he looked good. Probably half the price of Folau - though admittedly not as good- and far less baggage.

Also Jesse Kriel who RIL linked us with us is a fair shout.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 17:50
Even Scott Spedding would be a good option as cover for JOC! 750k is far too much considering that (allegedly) Faf is on 400k.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 18:25
for me, if it bought you 80mins of good loosehead week in week out, a decent backup 10 and RJvR, who we already know enhances our team, I'd be spending it there.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 18:48
Has anyone read Fissler’s article in the RP? If so, what’s the gist? S’il vous plait.

BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 20:57
Quote:
MartWhit
for me, if it bought you 80mins of good loosehead week in week out, a decent backup 10 and RJvR, who we already know enhances our team, I'd be spending it there.

That's v harsh on Harrison - I agree we need back up at loosehead but I wouldn't want to replace him.

I'd prefer to spend money on centres ( both) fullback, hooker in place of Jonesy who hasn't shown his previous form this season, and a back up fly half.

BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 20:59
On the subject of reserve fly halves, Brophy-Clewes of L Oirish looks a real prospect. Wonder if he has an escape clause on relegation?

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 21:21
Isn’t he more of a centre? Think he’s available based on what alex Shaw has said on twitter. Think I posted about him on here a week or so ago but know the search function won’t work. Possibly the case that we have depth where he would fit?

clutch (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 22:06
Don’t think last quite what MartWhit meant. 80mins in total not a brand new 80min starter.

serge (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 03:04
Going back to the original premise, whilst not a Christian, I clearly remember it being taught in schools and being encouraged to go to Church. As Folau is merely doing as he was told, using the bible as his guide, as educated in government schools, and churches in every town, I cant see why he is in the wrong. I dont agree with him, nor do I agree with most religions, but I understand why he would have that believe. If you have a problem with his belief, your anger should be that he is educated to believe in the bible, not that he has read it and believes it.

What my thoughts are on Olding and Jackson are irrelevant as they were tried in a court of law and found not guilty. I dont want "sponsors" deciding what is right or wrong for sports clubs, as they have no position to be my moral arbiter. If you are upset that Olding & Jackson are not in prison for what they did, campaign to your MP, change the law.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 08:01
Quote:
serge
If you are upset that Olding & Jackson are not in prison for what they did, campaign to your MP, change the law.

How do you suggest the law would be changed? Amend it so that if you are found not guilty after trial, you should be sent to prison regardless?

ale shark (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 08:34
Sign Folau and covert the North stand into stable block.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 08:55
thanks clutch. nail, head, on, hit.

yukon (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 09:00
Quote:
serge
Going back to the original premise, whilst not a Christian, I clearly remember it being taught in schools and being encouraged to go to Church. As Folau is merely doing as he was told, using the bible as his guide, as educated in government schools, and churches in every town, I cant see why he is in the wrong. I dont agree with him, nor do I agree with most religions, but I understand why he would have that believe. If you have a problem with his belief, your anger should be that he is educated to believe in the bible, not that he has read it and believes it.
What my thoughts are on Olding and Jackson are irrelevant as they were tried in a court of law and found not guilty. I dont want "sponsors" deciding what is right or wrong for sports clubs, as they have no position to be my moral arbiter. If you are upset that Olding & Jackson are not in prison for what they did, campaign to your MP, change the law.

Surely religion has a modicum of personal interpretation?

stevene (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 10:06
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
serge

Surely religion has a modicum of personal interpretation?

I said I wouldnt post again but breaking my commitment. Such a sin.

To answer the question for some yes, for others not so much. he didn't actually say all homosexuals would go to hell, he said if they didn't repent their sins they would. the issue is the fact he believes homosexuality is a sin. However (equally) I am sure there a few things I have done in my life he would consider to be a sin. last time I checked the catholic church still had homosexuality down as a sin which therefore requires you to repent before passing through those pearly gates.

I won't be agreeing with his views anytime soon but I can live in a society that tolerates different religions and different interpretations of those religions providing they are within the confines of the law of the land. Even if I dont agree with them or find individual views abhorrent providing they are legal (which they are).

What is good in today's society is he is now in the minority (however sizeable). Compare that to twenty/ thirty years ago when he probably wasn't. I hope and trust we will continue to see such progress. Perhaps the twitter mob, judge and jury can't live with that. He (and those who taught him such views) should be continued to be called out for his views but I don't see why he should persecuted for them.

Finally for those who beg to differ re the legal side here is the CPS prosecution guidelines for homophobic hate crime:

[www.cps.gov.uk]

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 10:45
Not really Yukon, whist some followers of some religions will have a pick and mix approach, they will be condemned for doing so by the more fundamental members of the religion who see the 'scriptures' as being the word of God and that they are to be followed in their entirety.

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 14:34
First off, I do profess to be a Christian, and hold beliefs that some no doubt find naive and/or quaint, although not those apparently under debate..

I will ask one question though.

He was asked the question, so would you rather he'd lied?

Hymenoptera (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 15:29
Quote:
ageinghoody
First off, I do profess to be a Christian, and hold beliefs that some no doubt find naive and/or quaint, although not those apparently under debate..

How about "My views are my own and remain private?"

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 16:08
Quote:
ageinghoody

It's the internet he shouldn't have responded.

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 16:48
Quote:
Hymenoptera
Quote:
ageinghoody

Perfectly good answer.

In the interests of diversity, would we also consider that to be a desirable response from someone whose views are more in keeping with current mores?

Are we saying that everyone is entitled to their views and beliefs, but only those compatible with the views of the current majority should be voiced?

Where would many of our modern liberties and tolerances be if that had been adhered to in the past?

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 16:50
Quote:
Irish_Shark
Quote:
ageinghoody

It's the internet he shouldn't have responded.

Like we don't!

ale shark (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 17:08
What if he’s right anyway? It’s likely that billions agree with him.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 17:31
Quote:
ale shark
What if he’s right anyway?

Now that is controversial in the current climate!

yukon (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 17:40
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark
Not really Yukon, whist some followers of some religions will have a pick and mix approach, they will be condemned for doing so by the more fundamental members of the religion who see the 'scriptures' as being the word of God and that they are to be followed in their entirety.

No one follows the whole book to the letter, it repeatedly contradicts itself for a start! Of course there’s an element of interpretation

thekeg (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 20:49
He wouldn’t be the first full back we have employed to hold these views. Jason Robinson once described homosexuals as an “abomination”.

ulsterlad (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 23:05
Quote:
thekeg
He wouldn’t be the first full back we have employed to hold these views. Jason Robinson once described homosexuals as an “abomination”.

As have the DUP, but they also consider people who drink alcohol, don't wear hats to Church and anyone who works, goes to a sporting event or watches a tv on a Sunday to be the same.

i have many friends (including an Anglican Bishop) who believe they are Christians. Most are very good people, but I only ever knew one who I though was a "Christain" in the what I thought the word to mean.

That was my 82 year old (late) aunt, who unlike many other family members, never judged, never made comment, always wished me and partner well and on her death bed made me promise to look after each other.

Her whole life had been the church, and I know she probably thought my relationship wrong, but she never once showed me or my partner anything but caring and love. The years I went to Sunday School lead me to think that was true Christain values.

People who like Folau, the DUP who selectively use biblical passages while ignoring others are hypociates serving their own agenda and not the Christain one of love and leaving God to judge.

As to what he should have said? He should have passed the question with "I am a Christian, but my beliefs are personal" just like we would expect a fundalmentist Muslim/Jew not to say he believed gay people should be thrown off a roof.

Just my opinion.

franknfurter (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 00:28
I find this whole thread laughable.

One’s opinion matters to them and them alone. If you do not agree with it, move on.
If it is directed at you personally, deal with it however you see fit.

Myself, I couldn't care less about anyone’s sexual persuasion.

What I do care about is a world gone mad.
I cannot fly the flag of St George to embrace my patriotism because I will be deemed racist.
I cannot wear a rainbow badge without being thought of as gay/lesbian et al

What I do know is that Israel Folau would enhance Sale Sharks on the field of play and surely that is what matters?

ulsterlad (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 05:20
Quote:
franknfurter
I find this whole thread laughable.
One’s opinion matters to them and them alone. If you do not agree with it, move on.
If it is directed at you personally, deal with it however you see fit.

Myself, I couldn't care less about anyone’s sexual persuasion.

What I do care about is a world gone mad.
I cannot fly the flag of St George to embrace my patriotism because I will be deemed racist.
I cannot wear a rainbow badge without being thought of as gay/lesbian et al

What I do know is that Israel Folau would enhance Sale Sharks on the field of play and surely that is what matters?

Wow!

So you wouldn't care if some called Jason Robinson a F**king n***er. That would be "up to him how he deals with it"

Or Nigel Owens should just put up with being called a "f**king f*g"" and deal with it.

I guess both those can deal with but what about the 14/15 year old kids who get called it? Can they deal with it, or do take their life as too many actually do.

Why cannot you not fly St George's Flag,have you any personal examples or are you going on Daily Mail gossip?

Rainbow badges? Have you a reason you want to wear one or are you just offended? How many LGBT people so you know who wear a rainbow? (I know none, and I guess is know more than you)

Even if people did realise it was on support of LGBT rights why would you think it was a bad thing to wear it?

In the last few years I have had a pink ribbon (breast cancer and am definitely not a woman) a daffodil (definitely not Welsh) and a cross St George (Def not English) and been proud to wear them all.

Yoi are saying you would be sacred that people might think you were gay? Well who cares? If you are confident in your sexuality why would you care what others think? I don't! (People think I am straight)

As for surely it is what happens on the field that matters , nothing else - if that is your opinion then you must be happy with a peodophile?, Rapist. Murderer, pimp?, Muslim extremists? Racists?

All varieties of the same thing. Are racists bad but homophobes ok? Peodophiles ok but rapists bad?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/04/2018 05:56 by ulsterlad.

Olyy (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 07:49
Quote:
ageinghoody
Quote:
Hymenoptera
Quote:
ageinghoody

Perfectly good answer.

In the interests of diversity, would we also consider that to be a desirable response from someone whose views are more in keeping with current mores?

Are we saying that everyone is entitled to their views and beliefs, but only those compatible with the views of the current majority should be voiced?

Where would many of our modern liberties and tolerances be if that had been adhered to in the past?

How about "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"

If you're a horrible bigot maybe don't make a song and dance about it and then be shocked when people think your disgusting antiquated views have no place in this world.

Even the pope doesn't have these views, saying "If someeone is gay and searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?”

ale shark (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 07:56
I don't agree with FF but most of what you've said would be illegal activity Ulsterlad and dealt with by the law of the land. What Folau did, whilst morally questionable and offensive to many, was perfectly legal. The same applied to that other case.

For what it's worth I personally believe that instances like the Folau one are actually beneficial to society as a whole as it exposes religious ideologies for what I believe them to be.

hilly07 (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 09:16
[www.youtube.com]

Stewart Lee - "These days, if you say you're English..."

clutch (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 11:45
Anyone else chuckling to themselves re the notion of Sale signing a pimp?

franknfurter (IP Logged)
25 April, 2018 00:05
Ulsterlad

Re: Nigel Owens, speaking with him personally, he suffered abuse before he publicly 'came out'. It was in fact a traumatic experience in doing so.

Re: St George Flag - my home city council of Stoke on Trent banned the flying of the St George flag many years ago.

Re: Rainbow badge - it is widely displayed at many Gay Pride rallies and yes, while I myself am straight, I have gay and lesbian friends.

Re: Jason Robinson, as ale shark pointed out, in Britain at least, such a remark is unlawful and would/could be dealt with by appropriate law enforcement.

Olyy (IP Logged)
25 April, 2018 05:01
Got a source for stoke banning the st George's cross?
The internet isn't throwing anything up

ale shark (IP Logged)
25 April, 2018 06:10
Quote:
Olyy
Got a source for stoke banning the st George's cross?
The internet isn't throwing anything up

Maybe it was this womble he was on about

[www.google.co.uk]

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
30 April, 2018 17:13
Quote:
Irish_Shark
Quote:
Olyy

I hope we're bringing in Olding and Jackson too, as well as offering Ashley Johnson a contract after his likely impending suspension is completed. Might as well bring in Tomás Lavanini as well, he hasn't done anything stupid off the pitch, but we need someone to concede tonnes of penalties on it.

Another league player for our consideration available from November. [www.bbc.com]

clutch (IP Logged)
30 April, 2018 17:18
Think he’s a lost cause to be honest.

yukon (IP Logged)
30 April, 2018 17:53
The flag thing is nonsense. It’s the same as the right claiming Muslims are offended by poppies or Christmas, which of course they aren’t.

EdinburghShark (IP Logged)
30 April, 2018 17:56
Quote:
Irish_Shark
Quote:
Irish_Shark
Quote:
Olyy

Another league player for our consideration available from November. [www.bbc.com]

I can't see it to be honest, he's incredibly talented and would fit well into union IMO, but I think rebuilding his reputation in league will be his number one priority.

On the rugby league angle, though, surely we're at least having conversations with Kyle Eastmond's representatives? On paper, him and James would dovetail really well at centre.

clutch (IP Logged)
30 April, 2018 17:58
Where’s Tommy Robinson when you need him!!

yukon (IP Logged)
30 April, 2018 19:18
Quote:
clutch
Where’s Tommy Robinson when you need him!!

Hopefully being deported

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 07:47
When could you possibly NEED him?

Siggy89 (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 11:14
To replace a tackle bag?

clutch (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 11:22
Scrum machine replacement would be more fun

Brizzlonian (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 18:29
£750k for one player?! You guys are ruining rugby! From a Bristol fan.

Barend (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 18:44
Check the bottom of your pots, for they may also be coloured black.

Olyy (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 18:57
Quote:
Brizzlonian

You believe anything that fissler writes?

Let me tell you about this bridge I've got going cheap...

yukon (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 19:44
Quote:
Brizzlonian

I’m presuming this is an irony+. How much were the Care Bears paying Ian Madigan in the Chamoionship?

Brizzlonian (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 20:52
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
Brizzlonian

I’m presuming this is an irony+. How much were the Care Bears paying Ian Madigan in the Chamoionship?

It was irony aimed at Steve Diamond claiming we were ruining rugby by paying Piatau £1m. And there's as much truth in that amount as there is in Fisslers Folau prediction.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net