rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

All time favourite Premiership XV
BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 09:01
Something to while away the summer months.

The thread about Sarries not engendering much warmth in neutral supporters got me thinking why, especially when one of my all time favourite players, Schalk Brits, plays for them. In the absence of much to talk about regarding the cricket, led me to list my all time favourite premiership XV and wondered how that compared with that of other readers. So here goes ( and I make no apologies if there is a slight blue bias!):

1. Andrew Sheridan - pure destructive power at his best
2. Schalk Brits - all the basics plus skills of a back and played with a smile
3. Carl Hayman - blotted out the floodlights at Edgeley Park when he ran out
4. Martin Johnson - belligerence and a towering presence
5. Simon Shaw - a really awkward, skilful ďbig unĒ
6. Juan Lobbe - endless engine and always played in the right spirit
7. Steffon Armitage - unbelievable power and read the game so well
8.Seabass Chabal- pure theatre

9. Faf de Klerk - a pure bundle of exciting energy
10. Danny Cipriani - a magician, keeping defences guessing
11. Jason Robinson - a step to leave defenders clutching thin air
12. Luke McAlister - pace, power and a real step
13. Manu Tuilagi - a force of nature when fit
14. Christian Wade - sheet pace and excitement
15. Ben Foden - always enjoyed his desire to attack.

Re: All time favourite Premiership XV
MikeGC (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 13:30
Quote:
BasilBullneck

Nice enough lad to chat to but presume you refer to his post-Sharks iteration, I donít recall him having a good premiership game

27 May, 2018 16:11
Quote:
MikeGC
Quote:
BasilBullneck

Nice enough lad to chat to but presume you refer to his post-Sharks iteration, I donít recall him having a good premiership game

His debut wasn't too shabby (away v Worcester). Man of the Match.

tigerburnie (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 18:07
I was a huge fan of Sheriden, but he seemed to fizzle out rather quickly in his career, the pantomime dive after Julien White gave him a gentle slap was a low point in my opinion.

clutch (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 18:47
McAllister had some good games but we didnít play to his strengths.

28 May, 2018 14:14
Watch the game when we stuffed Clermont at theirs in 2008. I know 'cos I was there.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 15:50
Quote:
tigerburnie
I was a huge fan of Sheriden, but he seemed to fizzle out rather quickly in his career, the pantomime dive after Julien White gave him a gentle slap was a low point in my opinion.

Stupid comment. Watch the video. White conects with a straight punch to the face. Sheridan goes down immediately. Unsurprising when you see the punch. No hint of a dive. He then gets up and is eager to continue the skirmish though.

To be fair to White, Ted was throwing punches at him as well. Just didn't connect properly.

samlee99 (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 18:52
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
tigerburnie

Stupid comment. Watch the video. White conects with a straight punch to the face. Sheridan goes down immediately. Unsurprising when you see the punch. No hint of a dive. He then gets up and is eager to continue the skirmish though.

To be fair to White, Ted was throwing punches at him as well. Just didn't connect properly.

Why not say "I disagree" rather than "Stupid comment"?

Would you be so rude if you were having a conversation face to face?

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 20:29
Quote:
samlee99
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
tigerburnie

Because it was a stupid comment. It was neither a pantomime dive or a gentle slap. QED

BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 11:02
My recollection is that McAlister had some fantastic performances in a team that was on the wane after the premiership winning season, and he added power and penetration to the backline. Strange how perspectives differ - or is it the passage of time?!?

samlee99 (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 11:14
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
samlee99
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
tigerburnie

Because it was a stupid comment. It was neither a pantomime dive or a gentle slap. QED

In your opinion. And of course anyone who disagrees is simply making silly comments.

How unpleasant this board would be if everyone responded to those they disagree with like that.

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 12:34
Quote:
BasilBullneck
My recollection is that McAlister had some fantastic performances in a team that was on the wane after the premiership winning season, and he added power and penetration to the backline. Strange how perspectives differ - or is it the passage of time?!?

My own memories of McAllister were he had a storming start from Worcs and showed how we could best use him. We then spent the rest of the season kicking everything away and he basically just chased after the ball.........it's fair to say we only saw his best in glimpses - normally the best was when he had the ball in his hands.....

clutch (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 12:43
Spot on. We just played the up and under game, with the best 10/12 combo in the premiership at the time, and pretty close to all time on paper.

At that point, we were way past the peak of 2006 combining Mallinders attacking systems and PSAs recruitment.

Peoples perception is salary dependent, which is why Ben Cohen was heavily criticised in his first season (and then randomly praised the season after)

jamestaylorreturns (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 10:13
Sir Charles?
Brad Thorn
Redpath

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net