rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Curry starts
07 June, 2018 12:15
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfFdne0VAAEGVSi.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

Re: Curry starts
shaftesbury shark (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 12:35
Brown on the wing!

Robshaw plays again despite the BaBas game!

Gosh.

ale shark (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 12:37
Well done Tom. Special congratulations must go to Mike Brown for his ascent to the position of the nationís outstanding winger. His peak performances in the past have all been at altitude so canít really quibble with the selection. Strange thereís no second-row cover given Itojeís versatility.

NorthernMaori (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 12:40
Robshaw was always going to start given the number of "senior" players missing. Brown on the wing is a worry as he provides nothing in attack, I'm guessing he's in mainly for his defensive reading of kicks.

Surprised Robson isn't on the bench ahead of Spencer, as the latter is similar in style Youngs and so there may not be much variation late on. Happy to be proven wrong though!

No 2nd row replacement, I hope Itoje and Isikwe don't get injured otherwise the lineout may go down the pan. Lots more I could say but this is quite a long comment.

Flumpty (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 12:59
Well done Mr Curry - thorougly deserved.

Mike Brown on the Wing !? Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear - the dirt that he has on Yoda must be substantial.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 13:12
Eddies trying way too hard to be left field now. Shileds is not a lock so long as he has a hole in his rear. And SA have picked an inexperienced, small, nimble back 3 against which Mike Browns defensive Aerial prowess is ill suited. I think Eddie just wants to punish Solomona a bit more.

Bradwall Boy (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 13:18
Ben Spencer played for Cheshire U16. So I guess can claim him.

Crutch (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 15:16
Congrats to Tom indeed.

If Billy is fit then it will make a massive difference to the whole England game, not just the back row, he's that good.

Wonder if Danny is wishing he'd taken a little longer to sign his contract...

clutch (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 16:12
Will be interesting to see how Slade gets on. Not really done much in an England shirt.

I don't know what Francis is doing on the bench ahead of Cipriani. The problem with Ford and Farrell combo is, if it doesn't work, you move Farrell there rather than bringing on a bench option.

Brown on the wing is just a bit of an insult to Denny, not to mention the likes of Yarde and Woodburn, who aren't even in the squad.

Personally I'd have played Daly at 13. Having Slade there doesn't make sense, unless your 12 if a beast.

Robshaw has plenty in the bag, to maintain his place, though you would assume that Shields will be overtaking him soon.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 17:05
Ben Spencer was a MRFC junior player and his Uncle is Steve SWindles of MRFC and MGS. We can definately claim him!(Sm14)

emerging shark (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 20:19
He also went to Bramhall HS HsD

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 03:48
Whilst I think Brown a shadow of his former self, he can at least do a job at Full back, though I believe there are other better alternatives. Granted I have only seen him play on the wing once, but on that occasion we may as well have thrown an empty shirt on, I can't remember a single positive contribution. Daly a bit of a conundrum for me. he may well be our best Fullback, but I would rather have him in a position where he is likely to be more involved. He is our smartest player, the best at thinking on his feet and playing to a situation rather than the play book.

Robshaw was awful against he Baabaa's but I agree with Clutch, he has plenty of credit, it's down to others to play him out of the team, though they do, of course, require opportunities to do so.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 16:38
Great news for Curry - i hope the hard tracks suit him in South Africa, and that he is not overpowered by the Saffer pack.

Jones had some really positive things to say about Tom in the Torygraph - "the real deal" as an openside. He's quoted as saying:

"A lot of the players didn't know him. The Lions boys haven't had an opportunity to train or play with him. He's been injured for most of the season so he's a bit of an unknown, but the general comment from the senior players has been 'This kid could be the real thing'".

What will be interesting will be how he and Faff deal with each other. I wish I had Sky!!

JohnJ of HM (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 18:34
Watch it at The Heatons Sports club home of Heaton Moor RUFC. Choice of three real ales.
Green Lane, Heaton Moor SK4 2NF

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2018 19:10 by JohnJ of HM.

clutch (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 19:22
3!!!

buelligansmate (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 22:38
Quote:
clutch
3!!!
He's wrong. It's 4

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 16:23
Faf De klerk is having a running battle with itoje it seems.

clutch (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 16:30
Faff having a battle with the whole team. Brown has been good to be fair. Ford also. Manic game.

clutch (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 16:31
Just as I say that totally outpaced. Centre combo an issue.

StudentShark (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 16:44
Faffs height seems to be causing us troubles. Itoje in particular can't seem to get low enough to avoid giving a penalty...

Other than one horrible piece of defence, in missing killing the ball for their try, I have yet again been impressed with Daly as fullback

Oldham Shark II (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 17:19
Oh well, it was great while it lasted. Faf is fantastic. I suspect The Rugby Paper will be revealing he's off to Coventry in the very near future.

Olyy (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 18:21
19 tackles for T.Curry (highest in either side) and made 23m ball in hand (2nd highest forward, and higher than Slade/Ford/Youngs).
Not a bad game for him, stats wise. Hope he gets another shot next week (I'd go for Shields, Curry, Vunipola with Simmonds on the bench).

09 June, 2018 22:59
Can anyone explain the thinking (if any) behind making a tactical substitution after 75 minutes, when you've been chasing the game for the last 50?

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg
Somewhere in the South Stand

10 June, 2018 08:42
Quote:
Olyy
19 tackles for T.Curry (highest in either side) and made 23m ball in hand (2nd highest forward, and higher than Slade/Ford/Youngs).
Not a bad game for him, stats wise. Hope he gets another shot next week (I'd go for Shields, Curry, Vunipola with Simmonds on the bench).

A view not shared by Mr. Jones in The Sunday Times.

Tom Curry 4/10 "It was asking an awful lot, and Curry seemed just a little uncomfortable in the magnitude of this occasion".

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 11:09
Quote:
Oldham Shark II
Quote:
Olyy

Tom Curry 4/10 "It was asking an awful lot, and Curry seemed just a little uncomfortable in the magnitude of this occasion".

Whilst Will Carling this morning (and others) picked him out as having a very good game. Stephen Jones is always liable to the alternative view.

camshark (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 11:46
Quote:
Oldham Shark II
Quote:
Olyy

Always thought that Stephen Jones is the least credible rugby correspondent, not sure how a player who makes six tackles more than any other player on the pitch ( and he only played 70 minutes) , and made a glorious break that had it been Richie McCaw Stephen Jones would have been salivating over, only manages to be rated 4/10 .
Just out of interest how did he score Itoje whose stupidity conceded 9 points ?

Olyy (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 13:45
Stephen Jones is the Katie Hopkins of the rugby journo world,
Only have to see how he acts on twitter to see he's got a screw loose.

10 June, 2018 18:47
Quote:
camshark
Quote:
Oldham Shark II
Quote:
Olyy

Always thought that Stephen Jones is the least credible rugby correspondent, not sure how a player who makes six tackles more than any other player on the pitch ( and he only played 70 minutes) , and made a glorious break that had it been Richie McCaw Stephen Jones would have been salivating over, only manages to be rated 4/10 .
Just out of interest how did he score Itoje whose stupidity conceded 9 points ?

He thought he was better than Tom, he got 5/10.

clutch (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 19:22
What about the rest of the players or did he just give lazy marks for all? Did anyone score fewer than Curry or was he the worst player on the pitch

MartWhit (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 19:22
Jones just revels in being contrary. Right or wrong is unimportant in his universe. He's an idiot.

Curry had a good game. Not outstanding, but with england persistently optpaced and outmuscled after the 1st 20 he's dont better than most. He maintained a strong workrate, his pace was not found wanting and he made that nice break late on. He can be very pleased with his effort.

Faf was sensational. Somehow the dry SA ground helped him keep his error count down and he absolutely relished the challenge of being targeted pretty stupidly by the like of Itoje.

10 June, 2018 20:20
Marks by Mr. Jones....

Daly 6
May 8
Slade 6
Farrell 7
Brown 7
Ford 5
Youngs 6
M. Vunipola 6
George 8
Sinkler 5
Itoje 5
Isiekwe 4
Robshaw 4
Big Tom 4
B. Vunipola 4

So, he was equal the worst player on the pitch.

isitme (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 20:40
I've seen a few ratings now and to say we lost by 3 points the SA players have been rated significantly higher. In my opinion Curry had a decent game. Not surprisingly Billy had a limited impact as he is not match fit.

Did anyone else think Mako was hard done by? For me he held his ground and Faf ran into him.

clutch (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 20:49
Thought the ref was poor. Suddenly decided out of the blue to start pinging us. Some correctly. Some harsh. Not much communication at the breakdown.

Ford was the biggest reason we scored 30 points so 5 is pathetic. Not his fault we got smashed up front.

Did George deserve an 8? Am I missing something.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 21:16
the ref was a passenger in this game, he just rewarded the side on the front foot at the time. It wasnt england very often.

I too think Faf milked the yellow card, but Mako wasnt in the process of mavoiding contact either.

Crutch (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 22:53
Only got one view but did Mako lift his elbow into Faf? I think that's why it was given otherwise his line was ok.

Ford showed some good touches and some confidence on passes so pretty harsh on him I think too.

Eddie does himself no favours in my eyes. Stupid bench selection to then bring in Shields at 2nd row after 35 mins and later keeping a clearly not match fit Billy on for a ridiculously unbalanced back row with Hughes...

Olyy (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 23:47
I thought Mako was very hard done by
In the first half Itoje put in a very late hit on a Faf, hitting him in the neck with an elbow, in comparison Mako gave him a kiss and a cuddle.

EdinburghShark (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 00:20
Bizarre scores out of 10.

As mentioned above, Ford wasn't the problem. The biggest problem I saw (your results may vary) was that we were losing the collision consistently - sometimes it was down to SA chicanery in the rucks, but more often we were either being too passive in the tackle and not able to slow down their momentum, or being overly risky and looking for the "big shot", mistiming it, and losing the collision anyway. We neither stopped quick ball nor stopped them moving forwards. One of the two is usually good enough!

We've all seen that in the modern game it's no longer good enough to simply make every tackle cleanly and in a textbook manner, because if you keep defending against quick ball while moving backwards your defence will become stretched to the point where there becomes mismatches and overlaps.

The answer, as we've seen with Sarries and Ireland, is to maintain such a fast rush on the first few receivers that you get the double effect that the ball cannot be spread wide reliably (as there is so much pressure on the passes, which have to be made standing still), and individual runners are stopped behind the gain line if they opt not to pass. This completely falls down if you continue to do this when the attack drops deeper and moves around you. Smart teams like Ireland then revert to a fan defence and trust that they can read the now-deeper backs plays well enough to stop the ball behind the gain line. A rush defence simply doesn't work against a deep attacking line, and it's no coincidence that South Africa, a team that are capable of using deep distribution through players like le Roux, were able to outplay the rush.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 03:17
I thought Mako's yellow was harsh, but he did take look, as though "lining up" Faf, and there was a suggestion of raising his arm. I too thought the ref poor, out of his depth?

Due to work and recording setting forgetfulness, I missed England's good spell and I still think Jones' scores are bonkers. If they are to be believed, then I can only assume that George and May were absolutely gargantuan in that opening 20.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 08:39
The fact that Jones, Barnes and Dayglo are the main ST rugby journalists tells you all you need to know about their rugby coverage

11 June, 2018 08:46
Mako turned his shoulder into faf. Arguable card but he only needed to stand his ground. Ref. missed multiple offsides after Curry's break and allowed three pens in the red zone but no card in the last few minutes.

Robshaw is finished, BV not fit, Shields isn't a lock and we were stuffed playing first game at altitude. Only SA of tier 1 has a ground at 5000ft. Maybe this should be looked at.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

clutch (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 12:26
What do you suggest. Making all tier 1 nations have an altitude ground. we could build on skafell pike and stick a stadium on it!!

Wonder what changes Eddie will make. He's not renowned for wholesale changes, so I suspect Launchbury will come in. Wouldn't be surprised if Shields starts ahead of Curry.

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 13:22
Itoje seemed to spend most of the first half lying on Faff after a tackle - I'm imagine Mako's yellow was also built up from the number of times we (Itoje) kept trying to slow Faff down.

Overall we seemed to get done over at the breakdown so knowing Jones he'll probably change the backs :-)

Personally I'd like to see how we operate without Robshaw to get increased pace in the backrow - it didn't help that Big Billy seemed out on his feet even before the first half.

Bradwall Boy (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 14:21
Felt sorry for Tom Curry. Worked his socks off for little reward. Once he got sucked into tackling he was lost to the rest of the play and the other two backrows were just too ponderous to cover.

BV clearly not match fit but is always exposed in a fast open game. Need a rethink in terms of what we want for an 8 and select accordingly depending upon the scenario.

Robshaw has clearly had his day. He has been a great servant but at international level he is now way off the pace.

Didn't help that Youngs was played off the park by Faf, but Curry of all players should have known Faf's game.

One thing that shocked me was B Vunipola's laissez faire attitude in the after match interview. He should have been really hurting/angry but it didn't come across that way.

Olyy (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 16:24
Ben Curry captaining the u20s tonight vs South Africa
ITV4 at 6pm, I believe

11 June, 2018 17:06
Correct time and channel, but tomorrow.

Olyy (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 17:14
2 out of 3 ain't bad (Sm8)

Flumpty (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 19:43
Quote:
Olyy
2 out of 3 ain't bad (Sm8)

But don't be sad.......

jamestaylorreturns (IP Logged)
12 June, 2018 11:22
Bradwalls comments I support...I didn't sense England coaches had used Curry and his depth of knowledge of little F's play very well. He could have been used to stop F's play. Instead it seemed Itoje was trying to do this (in a ham fisted way!)

MartWhit (IP Logged)
12 June, 2018 12:06
as a matter of logic, getting the lanky, slower guy to make the nippy short guy is poor strategy. Agree that Tom C could have done a job on Faf, but unfortunately he was needed to plug a fair few holes in Englands 1st phase defence, leaving him grounded for many looser phases.

ale shark (IP Logged)
12 June, 2018 13:15
I'm fully expecting Curry to be dropped and Robshaw retained for this weekend

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net