rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

U20 World Cup
LJK (IP Logged)
12 June, 2018 21:49
can't believe there is nothing posted on here re the Under 20 World Cup, or at least I can't see it. Congrats to Ben Curry leading the team to the final, now surprisingly perhaps v. France, rather than NZ.
Some great prospects on show, and in particular the Quins winger Ibitoye - so quick and strong through sometimes several attempted tackles. Amazing future ahead of him surely.

Re: U20 World Cup
ale shark (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 07:48
Great effort by England. 6th final in a row, 9th out of 11 tournaments.

Good that the hosts are in the final, I see their fly half is Romain Ntamack, son of Emile. Looks a decent talent.

Oldham Shark II (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 08:21
The coverage, info and promotion of this tournament is a disgrace. I tried to find when the final is, and assumed it would be on ITV4, but it took me an age just to find out it's 6pm on Sunday. The BBC under the U20 World Championship fixtures section says "No fixtures found". I agree this could/will be a cracking game, shame the final isn't on ITV1.

JohnJ of HM (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 16:21

Crutch (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 19:03
It was a great game to watch.

Marcus Smith is clearly a class above this level and Ibitoye too. I also thought the centres and full back Parton looked good.

SA bossed up front though, their 2 tight heads are enormous! Muller Uys at 8 and Lombard at 15 would be more than welcome at Sale if Faf could have a word smiling smiley

Flumpty (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 20:22
I thought that SA were absolutely lacking in ideas and were totally reliant on one dimensional "brute force" rugby.
Judging by the replacement prop that came on SA, do they not have a conditioning coach ?

Monty9 (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 20:42
Quote:
Flumpty
Judging by the replacement prop that came on SA, do they not have a conditioning coach ?

He was a big boy wasn’t he, not so many props have proper bellies these days. To be fair to him though Flumpty, he did get around ok.

They also may have gone route one for all the game but they did it well, in the 2nd half at least. I thought their 8 was very good, excusing the early yellow.

Ben seemed to get good reviews from the commentators but as a blind back I missed most of what he did. The Quins wingers is definitely something special, potentially.

Will be a good final. The French pack are enormous so will probably come down to how quick we can get ball out.

Flumpty (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 20:47
Quote:
Monty9
Quote:
Flumpty

He was a big boy wasn’t he, not so many props have proper bellies these days. To be fair to him though Flumpty, he did get around ok.

They also may have gone route one for all the game but they did it well, in the 2nd half at least. I thought their 8 was very good, excusing the early yellow.

Ben seemed to get good reviews from the commentators but as a blind back I missed most of what he did. The Quins wingers is definitely something special, potentially.

Will be a good final. The French pack are enormous so will probably come down to how quick we can get ball out.

Big boy as in Josef Stalin got a bit carried away at times ?

Your right, they did do route 1 well and if they'd have won, it would have been Happy Times SA - but (IMO) what a garbage way to play rugby

Ben Curry was very good and "worked" the referee well

Yareet (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 22:03
Quote:
Flumpty
Quote:
Monty9
Quote:
Flumpty

Big boy as in Josef Stalin got a bit carried away at times ?

Your right, they did do route 1 well and if they'd have won, it would have been Happy Times SA - but (IMO) what a garbage way to play rugby

Ben Curry was very good and "worked" the referee well

In SA’s defence, it’s knock out rugby. Winning is all that matters and (but for a try scored by England against the run of play) they almost did.

Crutch (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 22:30
SA have scored plenty of points in other games and had the highest try scorer going into the game with 5 in 3 games.

WRT their replacement tight head, he scored a try and played a decent part in their comeback.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 04:46
i loved Ange's post on facebook wrt this game. Well worth seeking out.

Flumpty (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 08:06
Quote:
Crutch

WRT their replacement tight head, he scored a try and played a decent part in their comeback.

He flopped over the line from a metre out (not dissimilar from their other tries on the night) !!

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 08:38
That will go into rugby folklore as an 80 metre sprint with 2 sidesteps!(Sm14)

Crutch (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 09:01
Quote:
Flumpty
Quote:
Crutch

He flopped over the line from a metre out (not dissimilar from their other tries on the night) !!

No, he broke through the English defence from a metre out. If that were so easy then there would be a hell of a lot more tries scored than in reality.

Bulk can be a real weapon and it's probably the biggest weakness in he current Sale squad.

John Tee (IP Logged)
17 June, 2018 19:00
Your boy Curry is having a stormer in the u20's.
Who is considered the better in the long term?

clutch (IP Logged)
17 June, 2018 19:20
Honestly we don’t really know!!! I keep changing my mind but at this moment you’d have to say Tom I suppose.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
17 June, 2018 19:30
Did the senior coaching staff fly over to France? England always looked dangerous ball in hand, but repeatedly kicked possession away and discipline was poor.

French defence was well drilled and disciplined, their scrum was monstrous. Deserved victors.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

John Tee (IP Logged)
17 June, 2018 19:39
Quote:
clutch
Honestly we don’t really know!!! I keep changing my mind but at this moment you’d have to say Tom I suppose.

Well, you have to say he has everything.
He has go forward and is a good captain.

I thought he was the stand out player on the field but maybe that is through English eyes...?

clutch (IP Logged)
17 June, 2018 19:54
Agreed on the night. Interesting comparing him to Farrell in terms of how to address the ref.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
17 June, 2018 20:25
All be it behind a pack that was getting smashed I thought Smith was completely ineffective. If Redpath and Moore had been fit it may have been different but given that monster Demba Bamba I doubt it!

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 05:10
I think maybe the occasion got to Smith. He looked unusually indecisive and lacking in confidence, at odds with how he has performed for most of the rest of the tournament. Grayson was an immediate improvement.

Bamba is some specimen isn't he. Though to be fair, Seville handled him reasonably well, our problems seemed to stem from a greater mismatch on the other side.

Was anyone else surprised at a lack of action for the French Winger taking out Parton (England full back) whilst he was in the air. Not that I wanted him carded, but in the current climate I was surprised that he wasn't. For the record I thought the ref (Egon Seconds formerly of Western Province and Springbok 7's) handled the game very well

'Cause we were raised

clutch (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 06:32
He did generally. But he pulled out the going to ground decision against England with about 10 to go which i can’t get my head around.

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 09:15
I saw the last 30 mins and thoroughly enjoyed the final.

The French were deserved winners - big pack and enjoyed scrum dominance.

Smith seemed to stand very deep and we looked better when the replacement 10 came on who attacked the line. The Quins winger looked very dangerous ball in hand but less so when it came to defense. I although thought the replacement 9 (no idea of name nor club) looked a real handful when he ran with the ball.

Great tournament - seemed a superb atmosphere and I thought the ref managed the sides well and let the rugby flow

Flumpty (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 10:02
Quote:
Surbiton Shark
I although thought the replacement 9 (no idea of name nor club) looked a real handful when he ran with the ball.
Great tournament - seemed a superb atmosphere and I thought the ref managed the sides well and let the rugby flow

He was referred to as Ivor Mophead at Chateau Flumpty.

I'm the same as you regarding the ref - even the times that I mumbled and grumbled about his decisions, once they were reshown, he was right on each occassion. I won't go down the offside at every ruck/maul, or off your feet at rucks decisions as he was playing it the same way for both sides. He was also VERY clear as to when the first arriving player could/couldn't get his hands on the ball post tackle.
It probably helped that as an ex 7's player, he looked to be every bit as fit (if not more so) than the players.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/06/2018 11:35 by Flumpty.

ale shark (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 10:13
FT 33-25

amateurref (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 11:18
Quote:
Surbiton Shark
I although thought the replacement 9 (no idea of name nor club) looked a real handful when he ran with the ball.

Replacement 9 was Rory Brand, once of Sale's Academy, now at London Irish.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 11:38
Quote:
amateurref
Quote:
Surbiton Shark

Replacement 9 was Rory Brand, once of Sale's Academy, now at London Irish.

Any idea why he left?

clutch (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 12:33
Flumpty I agree in the main, but he pulled the off feet decision once I think against the attacking team, which is frankly arbitrary. Was also incredibly harsh, as the first action was a positive rucking one before the players went to ground.

Regardless, he handled the game well.

He also used his whistle properly, which most SH can't seem to do. The default now is for refs to have the same noise for penalty and free kicks, which drives me insane. JP Doyle does the same.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 13:33
Yeah I had a grumble about that going to ground decision, it came shortly after a man in front of kicker at kick off decision. Both were correct, but could both have been applied on multiple occasions throughout the game.

'Cause we were raised

Crutch (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 16:13
I felt that Smith and the backline in general went deeper in an attempt to outflank a borderline offside Rush defence, but just didn't execute very well. Would have liked to have seen more chips behind and cross kicks to try and counter that. Also didn't make much use of short side.

Difficult though when overpowered up front, especially when giving away a pen at almost every scrum - almost impossible to compete in that scenario.

Bradwall Boy (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 17:02
Smith started well. Attacking the line and challenging the French defence but as the game went on he became more lateral and England became less effective. Grayson should have been on earlier.

Cracking game though and full marks to the French who were just too powerful and clever.

Love this tournament. Never fails to deliver good rugby.

Barend (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 17:18
I think Brand left for school reasons - he had been somewhere in Wigan when at Sale but then was at Wellington.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net