rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Chris Ashton
2007dwain (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 15:57
He wants to leave Toulon and come back to england and according to few things on Twitter(rugby pod) sale are leading the chase. May be nothing like a lot of rumours but he would only come in as fullback surely

Re: Chris Ashton
clutch (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 16:07
Yeah. Think he’s a nice weather 15 but certain a serious threat there ball in hand.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 16:20
If his 3yr contract is 2+1, if we got him for the 2019/2020 season he could be available for England then at world cup.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 16:22
Hasn’t got the kicking game that we need with our back three. Only rumoured to be coming to us because he’s a pie eater. No need to four international or thereabouts wingers. Though given our propensity to overstock some positions it’ll be revealed next week!

clutch (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 16:36
Kicking full backs aren’t exactly common at Sale. Struggling to name many.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 16:47
Quote:
clutch
Kicking full backs aren’t exactly common at Sale. Struggling to name many.

Maybe we need some more variety!

Flumpty (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 16:56
Ashton to Sale - mutter, mutter, grumble, grouse, moan, moan (Sm110)

StalyShark (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 17:15
If he is seen as an addition at 15 to the four super rugby rumours then why not?! Everyone is signing and signing.

Crutch (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 17:51
If JoC is as injured as last year then we could do with him!

Big Jim did a great up and under but I don't think you'd call him a kicking full back.

Anyone remember Vaughan Going taking penalties at Glos? Can't remember how many players must have been injured for that situation but he couldn't get anything other than dead straight...

JR, Rob Miller, Haley, Paul Williams - all loved to counter.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 18:17
9. Faf
10. AJ
11. Yarde
12. RJVR
13. S James
14. Solomona/Byron
15. Ashton/JOC

Would be fun as long as we have adequate cover for 9 and 10.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 18:31
Toulon have now said he has asked for a contract extension. Boujedal (sic) is like Diamond on speed with regards to press relations so I guess he's leaving.

clutch (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 18:52
Shepherd is the only kicking full back I recall. Pretty sure Williams was decent as well. Maclean was bought in to do just that!!!

MartWhit (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 20:24
There is absolutely no way I would want the best try poacher and finisher the game has seen for many a year in our magnificent mid table side.

Can he play loose head?

clutch (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 07:21
Would be and Denny collide both spotting the same opportunities?

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 09:19
Ashton has to be one of the best wingers for choosing the right time for coming off his wing and tracking the ball carrier. I often wish Denny had the confidence to do this more though he may well be under orders of course.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 09:26
I suspect ashton is under orders too, but when he does it and scores so frequently, its hard to discipline him.

Olyy (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 09:49
Can't see it happening, but would be a huge signing.

Also we need some more EQP players! Gonna be very difficult to hit the RFU bonus numbers next season

StalyShark (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 09:53
Quote:
Olyy
Can't see it happening, but would be a huge signing.
Also we need some more EQP players! Gonna be very difficult to hit the RFU bonus numbers next season

If we hit them this year then, at the moment there’s no reason to suggest we won’t again. Our two signings are both EPQ and one of which is ex-academy.

Crutch (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 11:37
But we've lost Will and Mike who were regulars in the team and the likely replacements will be from SH.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 13:44
who are these likely replacements? and is there any chance of them doing pre season?

I think we've paid the price of not having assimilated new signings pre season before.

Crutch (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 17:58
Agree on that. It seems the nature of fishing in the SH pool though (unless you're Glos). I guess it's more important to get the right people in if they'll hopefully be around for 3 + years than the downside of not getting the whole first preseason.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 18:15
Maybe once Ashton sees Cipriani be almost completely unused during the SA tour (bar maybe 15/20 mins at Fcool smiley he may rethink leaving Toulon. I’m sure Danny will have a sense of regret for listening to “false” promises/suggestions from England soon enough. Stay where you are if I were you Chris.

welsh sharks (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 18:55
don’t want to get too ahead of myself here, but following him on instagram he has just followed spinning fields and a manchester based food prep service..

2007dwain (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 19:38
Add the sale sharks instagram page to his follows too.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 19:50
The Independent also mentions a link to us
[www.independent.co.uk]

Olyy (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 19:51
Greenroom, his agent, represent a number of our players as well.
Having a scroll through his insta follows and the only other clubs he follows are Toulon and Saracens, so it's not like he's blanket followed every rugby club.

Weirdly he follows Aaron Reed, our academy winger, as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/06/2018 19:52 by Olyy.

clutch (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 21:51
Maybe he can mentor him? Being a sale fan is so confusing but it’s kind of fun not knowing what the heck is going on re signings. Assuming it works itself out in the end of course.

Yareet (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 21:52
Quote:
Olyy
Greenroom, his agent, represent a number of our players as well.
Having a scroll through his insta follows and the only other clubs he follows are Toulon and Saracens, so it's not like he's blanket followed every rugby club.

Weirdly he follows Aaron Reed, our academy winger, as well.

I think Haskell started randomly following Quins ... just before he announced he had joined Saints.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 12:55
With absolutely no evidence whatsoever, I feel there is substance to these rumours.

I just think that he's the kind of player in the kind of circumstance born in the right part of the world to be right on our radar. Right timing, a bit pricey by our normal standards but Dimes could well be persuaded in our current back 3 predicament, given how important those positions are to our gameplan.

27 June, 2018 09:30
Looks like a done deal!! what a backline that will be!!

[www.rugbypass.com]

StalyShark (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 09:36
Could see Byron covering for him but if we also get a loosehead and 9 for Faf cover, great!

MartWhit (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 10:40
this would be a monster coup. Him coming available late in the transfer window looks to have played our way on this occasion with several other clubs already committed to the salary cap.

Crutch (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 12:13
Great news if true.

Leads to the perpetual question of "where do we play JoC"...

Assuming he's ever fit of course.

clutch (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 12:19
[youtu.be]

Look forward to more of this.

Olyy (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 12:30
Excellent news, if it comes to pass.

Does leave us some selection headaches, but genuine competition for places is always a good thing.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 12:31
Great signing for us IMO, however some of our fans may not be happy due to his "history" 😉

StalyShark (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 13:20
Can see JOC playing more at 10/13 when fit if true then.

2007dwain (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 14:16
Can only see him coming in as full back and would imagine starting alongside Denny and yarde with Byron on bench. How good is that ! Still not getting too excited until it’s officially announced though

2007dwain (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 14:27
This is off Twitter :
TRANSFER RUMOUR: Despite reports from RugbyPass this morning, we have heard slightly different from our sources.

Sale have agreed a wage with Chris Ashton, however they have not agreed a transfer fee with Toulon yet. Representatives from both clubs will meet over the weekend.

Fissler says they first asked for €700,000

StalyShark (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 14:34
Quote:
2007dwain
This is off Twitter :
TRANSFER RUMOUR: Despite reports from RugbyPass this morning, we have heard slightly different from our sources.

Sale have agreed a wage with Chris Ashton, however they have not agreed a transfer fee with Toulon yet. Representatives from both clubs will meet over the weekend.

Fissler says they first asked for €700,000

No chance if we have to buy him out!

The freedom of full back could well be his best position given his supporting lines.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 15:04
Could he not 'retire' from French rugby and then join us?(Sm14)

welsh sharks (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 22:39
Spoke to a gent today (who is a lecister fan may i add- i know poor guy) and he attended a wedding over the weekend where a number of rugby faces were attending one being ashton.. he has assured me it’s all but waiting the announcement from the club now and is certain sale have agreed a release clause 🤔

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 09:36
I really hope we get him.

Solomona / Ashton / Yarde / McGuigan / O’Connor - that’s a great set of options to have across the back 3, especially as JOC will cover 10/12/13 also.

Excited to see if we pull this off. He will be a draw to some fans, he’s one of the few rugby players who my non rugby fan mates know or knew of, mainly because of his Ash Splash antics

clutch (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 11:42
Just need a few high profile front 5 signings so we can give them the ball.

BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 12:34
Re front 5, the rumours of |Matt Mullan seem to have disappeared, but if those surfaced again he would be a very useful signing, and AFAIK Doran-Jones is a free agent. He would be very useful back up to Ross, can play both sides of the scrum, and is EQP. He's not everyone's favourite but he would add considerable experience. He's had injury problems and I assume he is over those.

Ayerza wannabe (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 12:59
Quote:
BasilBullneck
Re front 5, the rumours of |Matt Mullan seem to have disappeared, but if those surfaced again he would be a very useful signing, and AFAIK Doran-Jones is a free agent. He would be very useful back up to Ross, can play both sides of the scrum, and is EQP. He's not everyone's favourite but he would add considerable experience. He's had injury problems and I assume he is over those.

PDJ signed for Ealing.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 13:08
Quote:
Ayerza wannabe
Quote:
BasilBullneck

PDJ signed for Ealing.

Thank heavens! Wouldn't want him at Sale!

northman (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 14:25
Ive been told the same as Weish Sharks, apparently all contracts are signed and the club are just waiting to make the announcement

2007dwain (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 14:31
Quote:
northman
Ive been told the same as Weish Sharks, apparently all contracts are signed and the club are just waiting to make the announcement

What are they waiting for please just announce already

StalyShark (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 15:40
Got to spread it out so the season tickets keep ticking over.

Rani of the Road (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 17:35
Sorry I have been on holiday and have just read through this thread, but where has it been said that he has definitely signed? I can't see anything on the sale sharks website or the BBC. Apologies if I've missed it.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 17:43
Quote:
Rani of the Road
Sorry I have been on holiday and have just read through this thread, but where has it been said that he has definitely signed? I can't see anything on the sale sharks website or the BBC. Apologies if I've missed it.

He hasn't definitely signed. Just strong rumours at the moment

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 18:08
More than rumours: it was announced at a wedding!(Sm100)(Sm6) Or was it a civil partnership?

28 June, 2018 19:40
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
Rani of the Road

So just gossip and rumour as usual. Thanks for the clarification.

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 21:40
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
Rani of the Road

And you are in a position to make this statement with total certainty because.........?

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 22:46
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
Rani of the Road

And you are in a position to make this statement with total certainty because.........?

I'm not. Until the club announce it formally it is no more than a rumour. Albeit a seemingly fairly strong one.

Not sure what your point is

emerging shark (IP Logged)
01 July, 2018 19:45
His agents.. Greenroom Sports... guess who? Richard Wilks...

Sussex Shark (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 15:15
A few different French media outlets this afternoon claiming it is a done deal and he is currently in Sale to sign. We will wait and see!

madders (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 15:36
Reports suggest a 'derisory' fee of €100,000 compensation to Toulon has been agreed.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 16:25
If he does come, once JOC is fit we could well be seeing him more at 10 or in the centres next year. I know we paid for Denny in the end but they must be seeing Ashton as first choice. Otherwise, he wouldn’t come given the World Cup ambition. Still not convinced O’Connor is a natural 10 but happy to be proven wrong.

Only a 1 and 9 next if the academy can’t find any.

Sussex Shark (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 16:45
The Times now reporting it as a done deal as well

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

StalyShark (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 17:05
Looks done to me. The Times will be getting a stadium ban now.

2007dwain (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 17:18
€100,000 is a lot less than the earlier reported €500,000

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2018 17:19 by 2007dwain.

Crutch (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 17:27
Pretty unequivocal from the Times.

Ashton has been playing full back for Toulon so once again the question is what to do with JoC...

I can't see him displacing AJ now (although he could certainly be cover) and with Denny, Yarde and Byron as wing options I don't see him playing there.

RJVR will be first choice 12 for sure, so really that only leaves 13...

I can't see many here being happy with Sam J being dropped and think he would flourish outside Rohan, however I think that also be the case for O'Connor.

In terms of squad and rotation, JoC is almost perfect in terms of being able to play 10-15 and maybe we'll just see him playing in all these positions as best suits the squad on any given weekend, but you'd think that would limit his own effectiveness if shifted about from game to game.

Marconi (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 17:28
Who next? Marc Cécillon?

clutch (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 17:35
You are right I think crutch. Obviously doubts over his long term fitness as well. Apparently Ashton only played 15 half the time according to the egg chasers lads.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 17:38
[quote ]Who next? Marc Cécillon?

Sling your hook samlee99. Don't feed the troll.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 17:44
Quote:
Marconi
Who next? Marc Cécillon?

And the prize for bell end of the year goes to this guy.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 17:44
Quote:
"Ashton was no longer in a psychological condition to play in France and with Toulon due to important family problems."

So it's more likely going to be us then right?

I think O'Connor is going to be on the bench mostly next season, the less time spent in the thick of it, the longer he has for his body to repair.

Marconi (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 17:58
Seriously though, you guys are looking good for next season- going to be a mighty scrap for the Top 4. Will look forward to a visit to the AJ Bell next season, might keep my head down though winking smiley

thekeg (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 17:58
We could have the best first choice 11-15 in the league next year, with o’connor, mcguigan, jennings and others to step in. If we can find a quality 1 and some half back cover then we will be in great shape

StalyShark (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 18:03
9. Faf
10. AJ
11. Yarde/Byron
12. Rohan
13. O’Connor/James
14. Denny
15. Ashton/O’Connor

A backs coach’s dream/nightmare! We just need the ball...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2018 18:39 by StalyShark.

Olyy (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 18:35
Quote:
Irish_Shark
Quote:
"Ashton was no longer in a psychological condition to play in France and with Toulon due to important family problems."

So it's more likely going to be us then right?

I think O'Connor is going to be on the bench mostly next season, the less time spent in the thick of it, the longer he has for his body to repair.

Not sure how much truth there is to it but I heard that he wants to raise his kid around his family, so a move to the North West definitely makes sense in that regard.

03 July, 2018 18:39

Olyy (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 18:46
Very very happy with that!

StalyShark (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 18:47
“Two or three of our forward targets” sounds interesting but it seems we’ll be with Cliff and Sturgess until Faf returns.

03 July, 2018 18:59
Glad I have my season ticket now, especially with Rohan back too. Fixtures are this Friday I think so looking forward to seeing them.

yukon (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 19:00
Superb! What a difference a week makes.

Now that LH & SR....

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 19:06
Quote:
Chris1850

I think that my point was that a number of other posters had reported that they had heard from reliable sources that the deal had been agreed but you chose to 'rubbish' the information that they had shared....

As it transpires, their sources were correct....

Flumpty (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 19:18
Quote:
Flumpty
Ashton to Sale - mutter, mutter, grumble, grouse, moan, moan (Sm110)

I think that he's going to be a Stringer Mk2 for me.

ale shark (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 21:49
Awesome signing, can't wait. So gutted Faf's not going to be around much before Christmas.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 21:51
This guy is going to do a great job for us. He'll be part of the most clinical back division in the league.

I'm just hoping the forward pack and halfbacks are good enough and numerous enough to give them the platform they deserve. Not 2-3 weeks this time but 2-3 targets..... apparently

yukon (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 22:10
Quote:
MartWhit
This guy is going to do a great job for us. He'll be part of the most clinical back division in the league.
I'm just hoping the forward pack and halfbacks are good enough and numerous enough to give them the platform they deserve. Not 2-3 weeks this time but 2-3 targets..... apparently

The Sale Shark Snide Sniper strikes, standard

buelligansmate (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 22:37
Quote:
MartWhit
We scored 67 premiership tries last season - I must have missed a lot of interceptions.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 22:57
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark
Quote:
Chris1850

I think that my point was that a number of other posters had reported that they had heard from reliable sources that the deal had been agreed but you chose to 'rubbish' the information that they had shared....

As it transpires, their sources were correct....

I genuinely don't understand what the hell you are talking about??? To refresh your memory,here is Rani's original post and my reply, on the 28th June:

Quote:
Rani of the Road

Quote:
Chris1850

Now, please tell me how this 'rubbishes' what a few others had posted!! At the time, no official source had reported that he had 'definitely signed', though it was rumoured (strongly) from various sources that he had. There was no confirmation from the player or the club. What is in the slightest bit contentious about my reply to Rani???

FWIW I am delighted that the (strong) rumours going around on the 28th June proved to correct.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 05:51
Assuming he returns to fitness, I don't see JOC sitting on the bench too often. Increased depth in the backs will hopefully allow us the luxury of leaving him out until he really is properly fixed this time. Return to form after long lay off is never guaranteed, but if he gets anywhere near then there is good argument for him being our best available 11, 13, 14 or 15, even with everyone fit. A much lesser argument IMHO for the inside back positions. I'm not sure he ever got properly fit last season and still in glimpses he looked a class apart. Either way, will make a refreshing change for the selection headache to be which top class player to leave out, rather than which knock to risk.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

MikeGC (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 07:32
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
MartWhit

except that MW is right (again)
Having a stellar back division which is great in attack (although occasionally absent without leave in defence) is no guarantee of anything if you didn't have the up-front grunt to get an adequate supply of ball.

de Klerk seems like the real deal but Diamond doesn't seem to believe in Cliff (so why should the general fan base ?)
Likewise, he doesn't seem to believe in this back-up loose head prop.
No sign of a back-up 9 or 10 where Sharks are clearly deficient.
The only signings which spring to mind is an injured 12 and a top class winger turned full-back.

Whilst Ashton and the new saffer are positive signings, I firmly believe the Sharks squad needs more "piano shifters"

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 07:32
No need to bracket the word 'strong' Chris1850, you didn't the first time, so no need this.
Sometimes there is a tendency to second guess a posters intent with regard to their postings. Your post appear to have suffered from this.
Obviously you were just clarifying the facts at the time for somebody slightly out of touch.
It's always best to be cautious. Even strong rumours fail to come to fruition sometimes, even when they have considerable substance. A case in point being Ben Spencer from Sarries a season or two ago. The worry being that they trigger a player's current employer to, say, attend to unresolved frustrations and/or increase their renewal offer. Speaking to his family that appears to have been the case then. Which is, incidentally, why I was trying to quash them at the time.
One shouldn't second guess intent.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 08:57
Thanks mike for making my point more clearly than I.

We've dealt with losses from our area of strength by replenishing arguably better players. Well done.

But we've not scratched the surface of our deficiencies of grunt and depth from the past 2 seasons yet.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 08:59
It's a bit like going into a sweet shop for some mint humbugs and coming out with sherbet lemons even though there is already a box full of them at home, and the humbugs are running out.

I actually believe that Dimes has got several other players lined up and by season's start we shall have those important positions filled in.

By the way, I prefer sherbets to humbugs, though I do quite like Everton mints.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 09:22
Quote:
DaveAitch
It's a bit like going into a sweet shop for some mint humbugs and coming out with sherbet lemons even though there is already a box full of them at home, and the humbugs are running out.
I actually believe that Dimes has got several other players lined up and by season's start we shall have those important positions filled in.

By the way, I prefer sherbets to humbugs, though I do quite like Everton mints.

If opportunistic signings happen and they work out then no one will complain. Many thought Yarde would be pants but i think he did alright last year and judging by the other players he seems to have found a better niche personality wise rather than at Quins.

If the “two or three forward” targets fall through or are subsequently proven to be sub-standard then we can judge our sweetie shopping. If we end up with a fit and eligible “The beast”, Kitschoff or similar then if we gel we’ll be very dangerous. Most of the team from last year is still first choice with only a few additions, unlike some of the other big movers (Glos, Wasps etc) so a much better bench will hopefully see us over the line a la Newcastle last year.

The next step is, getting the gates to make these signings sustainable. Over to you the people of Greater Manchester.

yukon (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 09:25
Quote:
MikeGC
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
MartWhit

except that MW is right (again)
Having a stellar back division which is great in attack (although occasionally absent without leave in defence) is no guarantee of anything if you didn't have the up-front grunt to get an adequate supply of ball.

de Klerk seems like the real deal but Diamond doesn't seem to believe in Cliff (so why should the general fan base ?)
Likewise, he doesn't seem to believe in this back-up loose head prop.
No sign of a back-up 9 or 10 where Sharks are clearly deficient.
The only signings which spring to mind is an injured 12 and a top class winger turned full-back.

Whilst Ashton and the new saffer are positive signings, I firmly believe the Sharks squad needs more "piano shifters"

10 isn't a problem is it really? James and JOC are more than ample cover. 9 is where we're weakest now, granted but I think to say Dimes doesn't believe in Cliff is utter nonsense. Faf has been sensational, of course he'll get the nod ahead of Wilf, that doesn't mean the coach (who brought him back only a year ago) has no faith in him. Utter shash.

Truth is some of you will moan about anything. Your "winger turned fullback" comment fails to mention the fullback broke the Top 14 try scoring record last year. I can spin facts my way too, see.

In addition explaining what's wrong with referring to RJVR as simply "an injured 12" isn't worth my time.

We have no reason to suspect that there aren't some forwards coming in

Monty9 (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 09:28
We needed to replace Haley and Addison, we have definitely upgraded on both IMO. Well done to the club.

In terms of not addressing the go forward we needed in the pack, I know they aren´t stellar star signings but we haven´t lost anyone remember and have added Phillips whom I personally think will be a great addition for us and also Joe Jones who is an absolute monster and with some work could prove to be very good, decent article on him on the homepage also [www.salesharks.com]

Certainly plenty of reasons to be start feeling confident I believe and looking forward to the next couple of signings.

Flumpty (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 09:32
Quote:
StalyShark
Many thought Yarde would be pants but i think he did alright last year and judging by the other players he seems to have found a better niche personality wise rather than at Quins.

Guilty as charged - I was delighted to be proven wrong by him.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 09:43
Quote:
Monty9
We needed to replace Haley and Addison, we have definitely upgraded on both IMO. Well done to the club.
In terms of not addressing the go forward we needed in the pack, I know they aren´t stellar star signings but we haven´t lost anyone remember and have added Phillips whom I personally think will be a great addition for us and also Joe Jones who is an absolute monster and with some work could prove to be very good, decent article on him on the homepage also [www.salesharks.com]

Certainly plenty of reasons to be start feeling confident I believe and looking forward to the next couple of signings.

We have lost Aulika and Seymour though the latter hardly featured last year.

I echo your sentiments of well done to the Club and am confident that Dimes is well aware of the requirements in the pack and at 9. I am prepared to trust in his judgement and hopefully await further signings here.

Incidentally, I presume that Ashton would qualify as a marquee player having not played in the AP for the last 12 months, if necessary?

MikeGC (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 09:45
Monty, thanks I had forgotten Phillips.

Yukon you forget I'm a lapsed Sharks supporter and only here to enjoy an occasional lively debate and the odd fishing trip

Ashton, world class winger in his day but a tyro fullback who's had a good breakthrough season.
O'Connor might never regain full fitness but he's your 1st back-up 10.
Sam's Dad and Granddad were exceptional 10's, in my humble opinion Sam is capable of standing in for half a game but inadequate for prolonged periods.
The new 12 has been signed despite a long term injury - we hope he fully recovers but unless you are his orthopaedic surgeon, you are guessing he'll return to his previous form.
When has Cliff started ahead of de Klerk ?

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 10:09
Isn't it true to suggest that on current form few scrumhalves in the UK would start ahead of De Klerk. In SA he psarked the springboks success. Certainly no EQP nines.

WRT RJVR's injury Orthopaedic surgeons wouldn't know either, but there is no reason to suppose he won't get back to his best, even though it could take some time.

Sam James needs more time at 10 in order to get used to the pressure, IF he gets it he could develope the ability that has been evident throughout his career. Certainly to the extent of being an excellent 10 back-up. With our current backline he wouldn't need to have the creativity of a Cipriani or the tactical boot of a Wilkinson.

yukon (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 10:42
Quote:
MikeGC
Monty, thanks I had forgotten Phillips.
Yukon you forget I'm a lapsed Sharks supporter and only here to enjoy an occasional lively debate and the odd fishing trip

Ashton, world class winger in his day but a tyro fullback who's had a good breakthrough season.
O'Connor might never regain full fitness but he's your 1st back-up 10.
Sam's Dad and Granddad were exceptional 10's, in my humble opinion Sam is capable of standing in for half a game but inadequate for prolonged periods.
The new 12 has been signed despite a long term injury - we hope he fully recovers but unless you are his orthopaedic surgeon, you are guessing he'll return to his previous form.
When has Cliff started ahead of de Klerk ?

Stick to the fishing because you're talking nonsense! For example, players have medicals before signing for clubs. I'm sorry but you're just trolling.

Crutch (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 10:51
Cliff was trusted plenty, regularly coming on for Faf and also allowed Faf some time away - totally different story than the (lack of) use of Flynn.

The signings of RJVR and Ashton can only help with encouraging the forwards we need to sign up.

yukon (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 10:58
Quote:
H's Dad...
Isn't it true to suggest that on current form few scrumhalves in the UK would start ahead of De Klerk. In SA he psarked the springboks success. Certainly no EQP nines.
WRT RJVR's injury Orthopaedic surgeons wouldn't know either, but there is no reason to suppose he won't get back to his best, even though it could take some time.

Sam James needs more time at 10 in order to get used to the pressure, IF he gets it he could develope the ability that has been evident throughout his career. Certainly to the extent of being an excellent 10 back-up. With our current backline he wouldn't need to have the creativity of a Cipriani or the tactical boot of a Wilkinson.

Sadly the true/ reasoned position doesn't support the wind up so you might be wasting your breath.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net