rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Fans Bar
wrinklieshark (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 20:49
From the Salford Red Devils site:

Salford Red Devils can confirm that the Fans Bar area will now be closed on gamedays with the AJ Bell Stadium renting the area out as office space.

Toilet facilities will be available in the South Stand

Re: Fans Bar
StalyShark (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 21:03
If they don’t own the stadium how so?

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 22:05
It's the stadium company who have rented out the space
[www.rightmove.co.uk]

I'm sure SS had little say in the matter, but the fans bar did provide warmth for those arriving early in the winter months.

yukon (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 08:26
Quote:
M5 Shark
It's the stadium company who have rented out the space
[www.rightmove.co.uk]

I'm sure SS had little say in the matter, but the fans bar did provide warmth for those arriving early in the winter months.

And facilities for one to relieve one's self after a long journey to the match!

JohnJ of HM (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 08:45
Not only that, it's a much more pleasant bar to drink in than the marquee bar which is much too noisy to have a decent conversation.

WhatKatySaid (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 10:16
I can't imagine this is anything we need to worry about, if it was Sale would have already announced it. It'll be a Salford only thing as we actually use that space, I don't think Salford do...

Rani of the Road (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 10:24
From what I have seen on the right move thing above, if they're renting the space out as an office do you really think that they'll push all the desks to the back of the room on our match days? It's an office space! If it's rented out then it's no longer for anyone to use, so the marquee it is. Just hope the stadium sort the toilets out for the start of our season.

iBozz (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 10:49
It’s at times like this tha we miss Swanny who would come om here and clarify the situation. Love or loathe Swanny he did keep us ijformed andmit is a pity that a small number of posters criticised him personally when they disagreed with what he was sayimg.

I think that the Club let themselves down rather badly by not engaging on here Nd posting “publicbservice” information.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

MikeGC (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 11:27
[quote iBozz] Love or loathe Swanny[quote]

Swanny and I had our disagreements on a few issues but it was always "gentlemanly" and handled professionally (by Swanny)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2018 11:29 by MikeGC.

10 July, 2018 12:04
Just fyi Swanny's been quite poorly since his services were no longer required with several spells in hospital. A day out with Carole to Chester Zoo has been his best day of the year so far.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

iBozz (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 13:44
Quote:
MikeGC
Quote:
iBozz
Love or loathe Swanny

Swanny and I had our disagreements on a few issues but it was always "gentlemanly" and handled professionally (by Swanny)

Me too, Mike. Seeing eye to eye with Swanny wasn’t always possible but any storms in tea-cups were soon(ish) over.

Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
Just fyi Swanny's been quite poorly since his services were no longer required with several spells in hospital. A day out with Carole to Chester Zoo has been his best day of the year so far.

Sorry to hear that, Mrs T.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2018 13:45 by iBozz.

MikeGC (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 13:46
Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales

get well soon, Swanny

Yonah (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 10:21
Sale Sharks Statement and link

Sale Sharks can confirm that the Club will no longer have use of the 'Fans Bar' area at the AJ Bell Stadium.

Since being informed of the Stadium Company's decision to seek further commercial revenue from this area, Sale Sharks have done everything possible to retain the use of this facility for fans on match-days. Unfortunately, we have been unsuccessful in our negotiations.

The Stadium Company are remodeling the community changing area to create toilet facilities for the outside marquee area, and our commercial department is currently in negotiations with INTU Trafford Centre to provide added benefits for supporters and enhance our already successful free shuttle bus service.

The club is committed to providing a high-quality match day experience for supporters and we are working hard with partners to make alternative arrangements.

For further information please contact info@salesharks.com.

Signsurfer (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 11:09
Seems a shame that, call me old fashioned but I like a 'Clubhouse' of sorts, with a bit of history on the walls. It wasn't much but was all we had.
Going to be difficult to replicate that in a noisy, cold tent in the middle of winter!

23Shark (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 11:43
Feel like this might be the nail in the coffin for the AJ Bell, what better way to alienate your tenants than to take away their fans bar

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 12:44
The club maybe able to open up one of the unused hospitality areas. Logistically that may be difficult as we'd need an area without access to west stand hospitality, and the ground (ie: Need to exit West Stand and use regular turnstiles).

Can't think of many other optipns? The marquee is ok but won't be good for the fans bar overflow

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 12:49
Of course, it is fine making noises about finding somewhere else to try to get a better deal with the AJ Bell, as appeared to be happening not too long ago. Unfortunately maybe the AJ Bell has called the bluff and so has looked for other sources of income.

I echo the above sentiments about Swanny.

Swanny, if you do still read this, I hope your ills are behind you as we speak, Get well soon.

Yareet (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 13:05
Quote:
DaveAitch
Swanny, if you do still read this, I hope your ills are behind you as we speak, Get well soon.

For anyone on Twitter, Swanny is still very active there - @swannymediaman

Dougal007 (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 20:28
The stadium is a concrete shed. The public transport is rubbish. We will have to stand in the cold before the game. Why should i renew
my season ticket?

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 21:07
Quote:
Dougal007
The stadium is a concrete shed. The public transport is rubbish. We will have to stand in the cold before the game. Why should i renew
my season ticket?

To watch a team that includes De Klerk, O'Connor, Janse Van rensburg, McGinty, Yarde, Solomona, Srauss, Ross, Curry and Ashton play rugby

Or is that not enough?

Yes, the fans bar is annoying but focus on what's on the pitch not the bar. Unless what happens on the pitch is the lowest of your priorities

And its not just a concrete shed. It has had it access problems which are now massively improved and its the best pitch in the league with great viewing and standing for those who want it

Dougal007 (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 21:14
What was the average attendance last season? Lowest in the league. Regardless of the players it isn't going to improve playing at that concrete shed.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 21:17
I suppose you prefer the sh1thole that was EP where bits of roof fall on your head and you have to queue outside in the rain to go to the loo or to get a drink?

Stop whinging and try getting behind exciting squad we now have in place

Dougal007 (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 21:31
It is not about me. Has the attendance improved at the aj bell? We need 4000 more fans to be a successful club. How is closing the fan bar helping? How are we going to attract 4000 fans where we are now? I am completely behind the team but are in a death spiral at the aj bell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2018 21:32 by Dougal007.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 21:51
Losing the bar is not welcome at all but if it 4000 extra people that we need then a bar that holds a couple of hundred max is not going to make a significant difference however annoying it is...and it is annoying

Attendances at EP were markedly on the slide at the end of our time there. Post the improvement access at the AJB in the later part of last season the attendances were on the up and whilst not at final EP levels they were not far behind

With the improved access and the squad that we now have I reckon we will see a further upturn in attendances next season and we'll be ahead of where we finished attendance wise at EP.

AJB is not perfect but I get fed up with people ranting about how its the worst ground ever. Its not. Newcastle, Worcs & Irish are worse imo. Bath, for all its stunning location is an absolute dump of a ground. Sarries isn't exactly great either

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2018 07:15 by ashtonshark.

Crutch (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 07:44
With the improved access from the bridge and free Trafford centre bus, it's time for the club to do some extensive marketing to the wider Manchester public. Anyone seen anything other than social media?

ale shark (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 08:27
Quote:
Crutch
With the improved access from the bridge and free Trafford centre bus, it's time for the club to do some extensive marketing to the wider Manchester public. Anyone seen anything other than social media?

First home fixture isn't until 9th September. Wouldn't expect to see any marketing this side of the August bank holiday, especially with other sporting events dominating, any money spent now would be a waste.

Having said that, if they haven’t already, they should get some permanent advertising up on the roundabouts exiting the Trafford Centre. There needs to be something there advertising our next home fixture plus the free buses from the TC.

23Shark (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 08:29
Didn't the club say that once all the access is sorted then they will market the club more, not much point in driving up attendance if the roads can't handle it.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 08:35
I think the message was always that there's no point in doing the advertising until the road issues were sorted

Well they are now sorted so its time for the club to step up in this area and roll out the advertising/marketing campaign that they've had plenty of time to develop.

I do hope this is on the way and they are not just relying on the 'Refer A Shark' campaign which was repeatedly mentioned at the BBQ event last Saturday

MikeGC (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 08:45
Quote:
ashtonshark

AJB is not perfect but I get fed up with people ranting about how its the worst ground ever. Its not. Newcastle, Worcs & Irish are worse imo. Bath, for all its stunning location is an absolute dump of a ground. Sarries isn't exactly great either

I think all that proves is that punters will watch their favourite sport from a toilet, provided access is easy.
Access to EP was fabulous, regardless of infrastructure issues.

The perception amongst most people is that the AJB is a nightmare to get to and from.
That's why it'll never be more than half full.
I don't understand the reason Sharks are not "all over this" in social and traditional media.
August will be too late, plans are being made for September.

edit for spelling

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2018 09:33 by MikeGC.

clutch (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 11:22
The problem the club has is people keep perpetuating the same myth. EP has its problems coming via car.

Maybe they want to wait and see how it goes... N

Not the best approach, but perhaps there is still understandable unease.

yukon (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 14:04
Quote:
Dougal007
my season ticket?

Because you support the team.

The stadium isgreat and transport is far better now, if you were renewing you’d certainly be aware of the latter. The former is entirely a matter of opinion.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2018 15:54 by yukon.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 14:41
A concrete shed?

Thats what a stadium is isnt it?
I've yet to visit one that has sofa's, cushions and 4k TV.
What makes of breaks it is the crowd. 4k and the AJB is a bit souless. 6-7k it starts to vibrate a bit, 8-10k and it would rock.

I'm certainly not going to decide to visit or not based on a fans bar or not. Besides, the experience for me is considerably enhanced from previously. I havent had the chance to go since the new bridge opened, but if that avoids the standstill on Barton Bridge, then even a friday night might work (not my preference mind). The sharquee is quite passable IMO, but can surely be refined further.

If the team is playing well and, crucially, playing meaningful games against good opponents, then plenty of people will turn out to watch. A bit more consistency, cutting out the more than occasional shocking performances, would also go a long way to building the fanbase IMO.

Re: Fans' ex Bar
Timpers (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 16:40
Just felt I ought to get the Subject correct. Well what else is there to do if it isn't allowed to comment on what a dump the AJ Bell is? It has a totally, utterly different, and not as good feel as the other grounds I've visited, particularly Sandy Park. But this revelation surprises no one.

12 July, 2018 17:09
I don't think that there's anything wrong with the aj bell. There are plenty of toilets and food kiosks inside, the parking is rubbish but now we're playing Saturdays I'll probably come with my friend and go for lunch at the trafford centre first then get the shuttle, if the weather is good I may walk. The sharquee may be loud but maybe if we're a bit more positive and ask the club then the volume may be reduced. We have what we have and let's be honest, the main reason we go is for the rugby, not because they have a warm room we can all cuddle up in. There's no pleasing some of you.

ale shark (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 17:33
For those that park in the lay-by

[www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk]

Crutch (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 20:12
I'll take a concrete shed with 100% unobstructed views and a fantastic pitch over a stadium with "character" any day of the week, but then I go to watch the rugby...

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 20:19
Quote:
Crutch
I'll take a concrete shed with 100% unobstructed views and a fantastic pitch over a stadium with "character" any day of the week, but then I go to watch the rugby...

Totally agree

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 20:20
Quote:
Crutch

Absolutely spot on 100%

12 July, 2018 21:32
Quote:
Crutch

I'm with you!

NorthernMaori (IP Logged)
13 July, 2018 07:09
Let's be honest, the main thing that will draw crowds in is winning rugby. We can score a hat full of tries each week, but if we are also conceding just as many and losing then crowds won't grow.

The stadium is itself a good stadium, the right size for a top level rugby club. However, it is a bit of shell without the crowd there to generate atmosphere; and the reputation that the site has for poor transport links and endless queues at bars and refreshment stands will inevitably deter the casual supporters from making that extra effort to attend.

Winning rugby, club self-promotion and stronger links with the local rugby community (granted the Club have improved this) are all needed to drive crowds up.

dinogyro (IP Logged)
13 July, 2018 11:58
I think since the link road has opened and the introduction of the shuttle buses from the Trafford Centre, things have improved massively.Although there was a problem with the traffic lights at the last home game. I think all these niggles will be sorted soon.

I think the actual stadium is fine. Plenty of choice for sitting and standing, adequate toilets. I would like to hear the ref's microphone output, but that's just icing.

I'm a bit grumpy about the queues for a drink, but it is the same at every sporting or music event I have been too. If the A J Bell could crack that, I am sure sales of food and drink would improve.

But I go to watch a good (winning) game, so maybe the loss of the bar is not the end of the World.

iBozz (IP Logged)
13 July, 2018 13:28
Quote:
dinogyro
I would like to hear the ref's microphone output, but that's just icing.

You can via a RefLink radio which works at all premiership grounds. The battery life is stated as around 20 hours but the batteries are readily available and easy to replace.

The sound is a bit tinny but there is a jackplug socket so you can use your own Sennheisers or other earphones of choice!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/07/2018 13:30 by iBozz.

13 July, 2018 17:09
EP + BK + PSA = Premiership. We wouldn't have won it playing at HR. No reason we won't win it again at the AJB ; it will prove interesting to discover how many years it will take.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
13 July, 2018 21:25
Quote:
Crutch
If you go to watch the rugby surely it doesn't actually matter what the stadium is, so why would you take a concrete shed over a stadium with "character"?

Major Bloodnok (IP Logged)
13 July, 2018 21:50
I suspect that there's an implied "...with rubbish views and a terrible pitch" in Crutch's original post.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg
Somewhere in the South Stand

dinogyro (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 19:29
Quote:
iBozz
Quote:
dinogyro
I would like to hear the ref's microphone output, but that's just icing.

You can via a RefLink radio which works at all premiership grounds. The battery life is stated as around 20 hours but the batteries are readily available and easy to replace.

The sound is a bit tinny but there is a jackplug socket so you can use your own Sennheisers or other earphones of choice!

That's great. I'll get one of those.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 20:45
When the Ref Links were first, i seem to remember some of the online info said it was for season 17/18. Whether that was incase the facility was removed for following seasons, or if the frequency will change each year so a new device needs to be purchased.

To be honest, £12 per season is a pretty good deal Imo if we need to buy another one for 18/19, especially as the product has had remarkably few issues ( if any at AJcool smiley

iBozz (IP Logged)
17 July, 2018 08:33
They did forget to turn it on once.

As it was after Swanny had departed (whether there is a connection I know not) and SS seem not to have given any contact details for any successor it was a while before we could get anyone to take notice and press the red button (or however it works).

I have said elsewhere that I think SS have let themselves down by not having a "universal" contact such as Swanny even if it were to be a "duty" mobile rather than a nominated person. There seems no way to draw "immediate" attention to problems at the ground or otherwise.

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
17 July, 2018 12:09
Generally, Angie has taken on this role and my experience is that she is happy to respond to emails, texts, posts on fb, messenger etc.
Sadly, ( due to unacceptable abuse iirc) she no longer posts on these pages.
Cuets also responds to emails.

17 July, 2018 17:11
She has helped me out a couple of times, very helpful. Maybe ask her about the ref earpiece.

yukon (IP Logged)
18 July, 2018 18:40
I believe you can contact Sam Diamond via Twitter also

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net