rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Rules
emerging shark (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 19:32
Can anyone clarify? I was under the impression that if the ball is grounded on the line it is a try. Yet in the Super 14 final yesterday, the Lions 10 clearly touch the ball down on the line as it rolled in a defensive position. The ref said he had carried the ball over the line..his explanation was a new rule that the ball has to cross the plane of the line. No wonder newcomers to the game are baffled by the rules....

Re: Rules
isitme (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 20:09
The ball stopped short of the goal line. It was then picked up and touched down in goal so a five metre scrum was rightly awarded. The ball would have needed to have been in the in goal area for it to be touched down and a 22 metre restart.

Thankfully the law allowing players to be in goal/touch and play the ball making it dead has been scrapped.

Rich. (IP Logged)
06 August, 2018 08:29
No it did touch the line but the ref rightly said it has to cross the line not just touch it. It's still on the line for a try but (as far as I recall) has always been crossing the line in these circumstances. Now why the difference is another matter?

iBozz (IP Logged)
06 August, 2018 09:35
Pedant Precisionist Alert: We have Laws in rugby, not rules! (Sm20). (Sm14)

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

JohnJ of HM (IP Logged)
06 August, 2018 09:49
Quote:
iBozz
Pedant Precisionist Alert: We have Laws in rugby, not rules! (Sm20). (Sm14)

Cricket and Soccer also have laws not rules

Last20 (IP Logged)
06 August, 2018 12:52
The way I would think about the Jantjies incident is that the ball did roll and touch the try line but then rolled back into the field of play - it is therefore live. Jantjies was stood in-goal and picked up the ball from the field of play and touched it down - if the ball was still moving under the old laws that would have been a 22, however the ref's explanation was that under the new laws the ball has to cross the plane into in-goal and can not be brought back into in-goal and touched down.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
06 August, 2018 13:28
Guilty as charged M'Lud.. I should have known better....Laws...

06 August, 2018 14:46
My copy of Collins has, under "law"

1. A rule or set of rules, enforceable by the courts [...]

2. a. a rule or body of rules made by the legislature
   b. a rule or body of rules made by a municipal or other authority

3. a. the condition and control enforced by such rules
   b. (in combination)
      -> lawcourt

4. a rule of conduct
   -> a law of etiquette

5. one of a set of rules governing a particular field of activity
   -> the laws of tennis

and a dozen other definitions that variously involve the word "rule"

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg
Somewhere in the South Stand

iBozz (IP Logged)
06 August, 2018 15:38
Those are definitions of a word, Major (and we can't let emerging wheedle out of it that easily! (Sm13)) but in Rugby Union we have Laws, not rules: https://www.englandrugby.com/governance/laws/.

I rest my case. (Sm65)

Incidentally, you can download the World Rugby Laws from https://laws.worldrugby.org from where you can also get information on the 2018 changes and information on the sometimes confusing Referee signals.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
06 August, 2018 19:07
Rugby has both laws (of the game) and also rules (of the competition).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net