rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

No Denny for the start of the season?
StalyShark (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 20:06
Not in the team photo today (nor was Rohan was is back in SA for some reason) and supposedly beset by immigration issues. Reportedly due to allegations that his marriage was to facilitate a visa. The coupleís marriage has allegedly broken down and HMís Border services are investigating we hear.

Good job weíve got so many wingers going spare!

Doesnít look good for the club if true, especially what we went through to get him.

[www.rugbypass.com]

Re: No Denny for the start of the season?
Olyy (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 20:13
(Sm8)(Sm8)(Sm8)(Sm8)(Sm8)(Sm8)(Sm8)(Sm8)(Sm8)

Never a dull moment being a Sale fan!

StalyShark (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 20:16
Iím sure itís all part of the master plan to improve our exposure to new markets.

MikeGC (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 21:29
I thought she was "only" his fiancťe ?

StalyShark (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 21:37
Married in Las Vegas supposedly at the back end of 2016, about the time he signed for us...

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 22:30
Is this why he was 'unavailable' for the recent England call up?

Solomona visa
Sussex Shark (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 20:02
[www.rugbypass.com]

Seems there could be an issue with his visa after split from Jess Impiazzi. Maybe that's why Brady was training with us, potential short term contract however could be a good chance for Reed and Odogwu.

Re: Solomona visa
Crutch (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 20:06
Seems highly unlikely that he wouldn't be granted one given he's represented the international team?...

clutch (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 20:10
Presumably thatís Diamonds fault for not planning for this eventuality!!

Olyy (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 20:18
Quote:
clutch
Presumably thatís Diamonds fault for not planning for this eventuality!!

Aye, we should have signed an ex-League, England international, winger over the summer

clutch (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 20:21
Surely someone on this board will marry him? Heís a good looking fella, got money and youíll have plenty of me time when heís off with other women.

MikeGC (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 21:31
As I said on the other thread, this young woman was "only" his fiancťe.
How does this tie in with the visa question ?

I imagine we have someone qualified in this field on this board

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 21:41
Quote:
MikeGC
As I said on the other thread, this young woman was "only" his fiancťe.
How does this tie in with the visa question ?

I imagine we have someone qualified in this field on this board

They actually were married

yukon (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 04:11
<edit> Dear all, Iíve merged the two threads for your convenience- enjoy <edit>

MikeGC (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 06:45
thanks to those who corrected my misunderstanding.
In a very brief internet search I could only find a reference to a "split with his/her fiancťe prior to some TV show.

2007dwain (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 07:36
A rumour about investigations into his visa were put out earlier in the year but nothing came of it and he went on the summer tour. Presume heís left the country for time being while being sorted. As earlier stated with him having England caps must go in his favour

yukon (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 07:52
Quote:
2007dwain
A rumour about investigations into his visa were put out earlier in the year but nothing came of it and he went on the summer tour. Presume heís left the country for time being while being sorted. As earlier stated with him having England caps must go in his favour
]

I'm no expert but England caps or not, a marriage of convenience is fraudulent and I'm guessing that would compromise his visa.

If, as you have to presume until proven otherwise, he is innocent, then the breakdown of his marriage is being highlighted in the news and scrutinised, which isn't very nice. Let's just hope it turns out for the best.

yukon (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 07:52
Quote:
2007dwain
]

I'm no expert but England caps or not, a marriage of convenience is fraudulent and I'm guessing that would compromise his visa.

If, as you have to presume until proven otherwise, he is innocent, then the breakdown of his marriage is being highlighted in the news and scrutinised, which isn't very nice. Let's just hope it turns out for the best.

2007dwain (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 08:07
Thatís it letís all stay positive through these hard times as everything will be ok in the end smiling smiley

Sussex Shark (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 08:13
Sam Diamond replied on twitter that it is all fake news regarding this!

StalyShark (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 08:22
Quote:
Sussex Shark
Sam Diamond replied on twitter that it is all fake news regarding this!

He is still in NZ eventhough all others who played in the June Tests are back however.

yukon (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 08:35
Mrs Solomona has also stated that she's sick of hearing lies and that it's "p***ing her off now".

MikeGC (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 08:38
Quote:
yukon
Mrs Solomona has also stated that she's sick of hearing lies and that it's "p***ing her off now".

his Mum or his wife ??

MartWhit (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 09:16
Not Dimes fault.

But it does speak to a club thats not run as tightly as required in this day and age.
- Our best finisher is currently out of action for the forseeable future and wont start the season with the club
- Our strategy, if it can be called such, for acquiring a LH prop is in tatters having been foiled by the hardly surprising resistance of the SARFU to our approaches to players within their sphere of influence
- We've also failed to plan for the again forseeable circumstance that our match winning scrum half might be required to play more international rugby following his successful reintroduction early in the summer

Thats 3 pretty big simultaneous failures of planning which we will carry not just into pre season but beyond.

I can see clearly that Dimes is managing the bottom line effectively given still low turnover and top line growth. He's always done that in mostly difficult circumstances.

But another part of management is to think strategically and get out ahead of forseeable problems and navigate through them. It currently looks like there simply is no plan B for 2 of these 3 (Brady could be considered as contingency for the Denny issue). We're gambling our season on an opportunistic and late player recruitment drive which has so far not covered any of our significant deficiencies.

I'm left confused as to why the club hierarchy believe this is the most robust approach to managing the club for either financial or rugby success. I've said before that I think the financial necessities still far outweigh the pure rugby need, and I think these issues are fairly starkly laid out for us in this pre season. An early injury to Harrison and a slow start would be currently the biggest single risk for our financials in any case. Enough of a risk to make it essential to have banked at least a workmanlike LH prop as insurance.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 09:45
Essentially we wonít miss Denny all that much as we have so many good wingers (Yarde, Ashton, McGuigan and Odogwu so absolutely no need for Brady).

If Faf is away for the first three games like Le Roux heíll miss Quins away (close game), Worcester home(should beat anyway), and Exeter away(BP at best probably). So, itís only Quins where his impact alone could swing things. Also, I remember comments about a c70% home grown team so Sturgess on the bench could be seen as a positive. Cliff doesnít have to do all the things Faf can do if he can feed AJ, Yarde, Leota/Jennings, James, McGuigan and Ashton in those three games.

LH prop is a major concern.

NorthernMaori (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 09:46
I seem to remember Hendre Fourie had visa issues once he retired from playing, despite having played for England 8 times and spending the majority of his professional career in England.

clutch (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 10:12
MartWhit Gloucester had the same recruitment ideas and seem to have done ok. This SA thing just feels a bit unlucky as much as anything. You canít plan for unknowns.

MikeGC (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 10:45
Quote:
StalyShark

If Faf is away for the first three games like Le Roux

LH prop is a major concern.

The le Roux "deal" has been trumpeted far and wide, therefore it's probably safe to assume that no such deal exists for de Klerk, or we'd have heard (if only to offset the negative publicity surrounding Solomona)

Sharks are one accidental injury away from not having a premiership proven scrum-half
I suspect the loose head prop situation is even more dire.

Fingers crossed but it's not looking good, however, a season in the Championship might not be too bad

StalyShark (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 10:59
I hope that last comment was very much tongue in cheek there Mike!

We could definitely argue the same case, plus SA have set a precedent with Faf about playing style etc like Wasps have done. Yet to be seen though. Faf is in Frankfurt atm according to his instagram btw.

With the 9 situation, considering that we donít hear anything thing this week I doubt there will be cover unless one of them gets injured. We donít like spending too much on some things sometimes (unless thereís a winger going!)

Flynn isnít anywhere near ready, Rohan could be out until October and JOC isnít doing any team training yet.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 11:03
Our team for Quins is looking like:
1. Harrison
2. Webber
3. John
4. Evans
5. Ostrikov
6. Ross
7. Curry/Curry
8. Strauss
9. Cliff
10. AJ
11. McGuigan
12. Leota/Jennings
13. S James
14. Yarde
15. Ashton

16. Nield/Jones
17. Tarus
18. J Jones
19. Beaumont
20. Curry/Curry
21. Sturgess
22. Jennings/Leota
23. Odogwu

Letís hope Tarus can play LH and Cliff doesnít get injured.

MikeGC (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 12:03
Quote:
StalyShark
I hope that last comment was very much tongue in cheek there Mike!

No, not at all.

As a business Sharks have a propensity for not being able to demonstrate a strategic plan.
The lack of another premiership ready (or even nearly ready) loose head prop (of any nationality) demonstrates that amply - wasn't one "one his way" when Eifion retired ??
The scrum-half issue has only really come up since de Klerk was re-selected by the Bokke, fair enough. However, that was (2/3 ?) months ago and still no "medical joker" or "international cover" or "just until December" signing announced. Cliff will be wrapped in cotton wool somewhere as we speak.
Winning is said to be a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 12:19
Championship doesn't even bear thinking aboutl; I don't think we would make it back out properly, yo-yoing in and out.

08 August, 2018 12:19
Shark Tank twitter reckon Denny back at Carrington training. Also Sam Diamond tweeted that the Denny story was fake news. Hopefully this can now be put to bed and we can concentrate on getting some forwards in

MartWhit (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 13:09
The Denny news would be welcome.

Its all rather a bit late to be addressing the other points. It might be several weeks before our scrum with even a new 'international' loose head was collectively scrummaging stronger than it would at present even with a young but integrated Pope in there instead.

ale shark (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 13:40
If it was fake news what was the reason for England including him on their not considered for selection list? If abuse of the spouse system is suspected Iím sure the Home Office would absolutely love to send a high-profile person ďhomeĒ as an example to others.

Rani of the Road (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 16:40
Wow. It's no wonder it's just the same pool of people on here arguing with themselves. I just stick to the basics of supporting sale sharks but this is the limit. We've not even got to kickoff our first preseason match and you miseries - don't say 'realists' have got us relegated with no hope of coming back up. Aren't you all the same people who said we want Rohan back? and now he is you seem to have forgotten? I know he is injured but he will be fixed soon. I hope like me you have a season ticket and attend every game and support the team, rather than come on here and moan about the business not getting enough income with your hand firmly in your pocket. How can the owners pay players like Ashton and Faf and invest income into the club when you're happy to watch from a distance and moan. You lot make me sick, and if you don't like that then tough, I've invested my hard earned along with my husband and we're bringing friends to the friendly match to try and get them to come to games - what about you?

PACMANPROP (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 16:50
Rani on the Road

100% on the button. For those who went to The BBQ and listened to SO I came away with very positive thoughts , hopes & dreams.
To read some of the rubbish on here just makes me cross, get real people!!!!!!!

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 17:02
Spot on Rani! &#128077;

MikeGC (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 17:13
Quote:
Rani of the Road
Aren't you all the same people who said we want Rohan back?

No, not me.
I'm far more concerned about getting any first phase ball for a cracking set of backs

yukon (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 17:29
Quote:
PACMANPROP
Rani on the Road
100% on the button. For those who went to The BBQ and listened to SO I came away with very positive thoughts , hopes & dreams.

I totally agree.

This forum has a number of members that are happier when theyíre whinging.

Oldham Shark II (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 17:49
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
PACMANPROP
Rani on the Road

I totally agree.

This forum has a number of members that are happier when theyíre whinging.

That is very true. However, please do not underestimate the entertainment value of a childish argument.

IOL Shark (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 19:59
Spot on Rani and got in there before I could say the same. We've as a good a squad as we've ever had in, not only in terms of quality but also in generating entertaining rugby. We got RJVR back (whose first choice was us and had signed before the season ended, despite what the Glaws board stated), signed Ashton, Dimes stated at the bbq that Faf will only unavailable for a few games, the club have stated that the reported Denny situation is fake news, SO (also at the bbq) sold a great vision and future for the club that is achievable ...... and yet we're doomed before the players have even set foot on the pitch. Yes, we need another prop, but believe me Dimes is trying his best to resolve that. And despite other opinions, the SA situation could not have been envisaged as all other moves had gone through without any intervention. It was probably a case of them stepping in at a point they felt too many players were leaving.
All I can say is, like yourself, I'll be sat in my seat at that first game and all subsequent games (along with my kids), cheering us on however the season pans out. And no, we are not relegation fodder even if RH and Faf got injured!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2018 20:01 by IOL Shark.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 08:44
Yes we all know that we need a loosehead (Iím sure someone will turn up/put their hand up) and one injury away from trouble at 9 but to the doom and gloom mongers, this was the 23 we put out 18 months ago away at Toulon; we have improved massively!

Harrison
Webber
Aulika
Evans
Mills
Lund
Seymour
Pearce
Phillips
S James
Charnley
Jennings
Addison
Odogwu
Haley

Briggs
Flynn
Longbottom
Nott
T Curry
B Curry
Mitchell
Mugford

StalyShark (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 08:49
Toulon that day had a back line of:
Tillous-Borde
Bernard
Habana
Nonu
Bastareau
OíConnor
Halfpenny

We can now put out:

De Klerk
MacGinty
Yarde
RJVR
OíConnor
Solomona
Ashton

I know which I would choose these days!

WiganSaler (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 08:52
It would appear that there is a general clamp down throughout the UK. Overseas Writers and performers are being refused visas to the Edinburgh International Festival. Which makes it less international. I suspect this will escalate as we near 2019! Any sport or organisation which employs none UK citizens could be severely disrupted. I hope sense will prevail but not holding breath.

--------------------------------------------------
Wigan "Home for the Bewildered"

Fully paid up member of the LSSSSC.
"Long Suffering Sale Sharks Supporters Club"

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 09:58
I wish people would stop using the phrase "fake news" as it's use in this thread confuses me. I abhor the phrase.
To me it is a Trumpism and indicates any news that the user dislikes and is trying to refute. In Trump's case the 'fake news' is usually entirely accurate and he is in complete denial.
It appears to be that his use of it that has brought it into common usage.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 10:59
He's back!
[www.facebook.com]

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 12:52
I doubt that being an international will have any bearing at all on the decision. It the immigration people decide he shouldn't have a visa he won't get one. Ask Collis King for his thoughts on the subject.

WiganSaler (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 13:24
Quote:
H's Dad...
I wish people would stop using the phrase "fake news" as it's use in this thread confuses me. I abhor the phrase.
To me it is a Trumpism and indicates any news that the user dislikes and is trying to refute. In Trump's case the 'fake news' is usually entirely accurate and he is in complete denial.
It appears to be that his use of it that has brought it into common usage.

Yes, totally agree.

--------------------------------------------------
Wigan "Home for the Bewildered"

Fully paid up member of the LSSSSC.
"Long Suffering Sale Sharks Supporters Club"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net