rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Rumour klaxon
Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 19:29
This is very unsubstantiated. And a bit depressing if true, for which I apologise. But wonder what others have picked up on the rumour mill.

The rugbysalesharks twitter account has just posted that at HR tonight, the chat is of a young gun leaving at the end of the season. Described as a “real shame”.

Leaving aside the notion of a move already being decided, I’m trying to work out who. Of the original “young guns”, I’d say that means Josh B or Sam J, as Ross has been discounted. Of that pair, I’d think Josh B the more likely.

Or alternatively, it could be Sam Moore if he has decided to go to Wales. Couldn’t rule out Redpath to Scotland I guess but that’s the obvious ones from the young young guns to my mind.

Anyone heard anything?

Re: Rumour klaxon
MartWhit (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 19:45
its a bit early for anyone to be making their mind up what they want to do next year.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 20:04
Well yes, hence my comment about “leaving aside the notion”. I’m just flagging what has appeared on social media at tonight’s games.

And you don’t need to have decided what you’re doing next year, but if you’re two years into a three-year deal, you can decide you don’t want to renew. And if you’re, say, someone who lost the club captaincy, lost your starting spot in the side and fallen right down the international pecking order....

Olyy (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 20:17
Wouldn't be surprised to see Beaumont move tbh

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 21:36
Quote:
Olyy
Wouldn't be surprised to see Beaumont move tbh

Agree with this, his progress has stalled since his first 'big injury' - change of scenery may be good for him. Other player I thought it could be is Neild

clutch (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 22:03
Surely young gun suggests a jet rather than an established first team squad player?

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
11 August, 2018 08:03
The context of the original tweet was of ‘another’ one leaving, which to me reads the group including TT, Will, Mike H etc.

45jumper (IP Logged)
11 August, 2018 08:10
I'd guess at Sam Moore but I really hope I'm wrong.

Crutch (IP Logged)
11 August, 2018 08:20
If Josh can't start ahead of Big Andrei (much as I like him) then you'd expect him to leave. I guess we see him as the long term Bryn, but if he wants to play 8 and it's not Sale's plan, then again can understand him moving on.

Olyy (IP Logged)
11 August, 2018 10:35
Josh wants to play lock, and I think that's the issue.
IMO he's a pretty average lock whereas he's an excellent 8

2007dwain (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 11:13
Given they said any signings would be announced in next 2 weeks which was 4 weeks ago and the rumours of SARU blocking certain SA players signing that no one else is coming. Dimes also boasted before Doncaster game on the live stream that sale are up there with Exeter in the lowest number of signings as there is a settled squad.

ale shark (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 11:24
Quote:
2007dwain
Dimes also boasted before Doncaster game on the live stream that sale are up there with Exeter in the lowest number of signings as there is a settled squad.

That'll presumably be the same Exeter with a 51-man squad? Awesome logic.

isitme (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 12:13
Quote:
ale shark
Quote:
2007dwain
Dimes also boasted before Doncaster game on the live stream that sale are up there with Exeter in the lowest number of signings as there is a settled squad.

That'll presumably be the same Exeter with a 51-man squad? Awesome logic.

Although their squad is undoubtedly deeper than Sale's, especially in the front five that 51 man squad does include a large number of academy players.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 15:22
only 10 who have never played premiership, and most of those have championship rugby under their belt with the Cornish Pirates.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 15:59
Quote:
MartWhit
only 10 who have never played premiership, and most of those have championship rugby under their belt with the Cornish Pirates.

We really do need to get all the academy guys out with FC or with someone like Doncaster.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 16:29
agree

Exeter have the best of all worlds with both Pirates & Plymouth available for dual reg. They maintain such a squad size precisely so these young players can commit properly to their partner club without being constantly called back to Exeter. They might play a few A/W games but otherwise get a full seaosn of exposure to senior rugby.

I'm sure such an arrangement would be possible for Sale with Sale Fc for sure, and most likely with Doncaster or Rotherham. But both those clubs will be wanting their loanees to be available for solid stints of training and matches. You cant just drop into a Championship team each thursday and hope to add value on the weekend. So for Sale to commit to this would require a funamental rethink of squad size down the lines of the Exeter model. At the moment all the young lads who could benefit from dual registration are essential cogs to make up a quorum for Sharks training.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
15 August, 2018 23:35
Club pretty clear at BBQ that they want Sale FC in the championship to maximise mutual benefit.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 08:55
'Twas all part of the masterplan when Steve Smith et al took over the Chairmanship and running of the club.

Decades ago MRFC had a similar close arrangement with Sale Sharks when we were in the upper echelons of the leagues (National 1 or 2 or thereabouts) : I remember seeing half a dozen Sharks/Jets in their lineup in matches around then.
At Manchester it had it's inherent dangers and some would say MRFC failed to develope a sound financial footing to support their elevated league position as an indirect result of that excellent relationship. The relationship then ended as I presume it was the time the RFU imposed a minimum league level for such arrangements.
Ultimately that eventually lead to MRFC's rapid fall down the leagues.
That's highly unlikely to happen at Sale Fc of course because their finances are said to be in excellent health, and of course their relationship is much much closer: Sale FC own rights on the franchise and all the Carrington site remember!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net