rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Who's going to watch the Exeter slaughter?
Oldham Shark II (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 17:59
Anyone going down for the game? Sale Sharks Supporters Club (Oldham Branch) will have four representatives flying down Friday, coming back Monday. If so, where is everyone supping on the Friday night? Not looking forward to this game at all, am anticipating worse case scenario and the pack getting a total mullering. Anyone think we've got a chance of getting anything out of this game?

Re: Who's going to watch the Exeter slaughter?
DaveAitch (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 18:02
No, I'm not going down. Interestingly someone said elsewhere about "the monster Exeter pack" but it was 20kgs lighter than Sale's pack for last weekend's games. Maybe Exeter are just better organised.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 18:24
Least we forget, this happened in a season were they beat us at home by 2pts
[m.youtube.com]

Yonah (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 18:26
Will probably be in the Beer Cellar early and late doors. Although I have a dim recollection of him saying they were moving further down the road.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2018 18:28 by Yonah.

clutch (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 18:32
I’d take that again Irish

fatheralice (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 18:57
Quote:
Irish_Shark
[m.youtube.com]

Think there should be an asterisk * beside that result - not that Sale didn't play well, but Chiefs had some off field stuff going on that weekend which caused a major loss of focus amongst the players.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2018 18:58 by fatheralice.

clalan (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 19:02
Quote:
Yonah
Will probably be in the Beer Cellar early and late doors. Although I have a dim recollection of him saying they were moving further down the road.

Just to let you know, the Beer Cellar is still there and open, not such a selection of beers but still unusual stuff. James New put “A little drop of Poison” is just 5 mins down the hill opposite what used to be the Walkabout. It’s full of rare beers and superb.
Safe journey all.

East Terrace Central
Our roads are paved with hope, and there are no stop signs.
"COME ON EXE!"

nicsue (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 22:57
Two Saracens supporters here will be at the match. In Exeter with cousins who support Exeter so it seemed the obvious way to spend Saturday afternoon.

PS My husband is gutted that Chris Ashton isn't playing - me, I never liked him!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2018 22:58 by nicsue.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 03:55
Quote:
Irish

I think we might, on paper, be a better side than we were then. However, I have a sneaky feeling Chiefs may have improved a tad too.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

bryanh (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 08:37
Oldham Shark II, where is the Oldham branch meet, tis in my neck of the woods

I did mention it to the better half and she said that it would spoil a great weekend

12 September, 2018 08:57
Quote:
bryanh
Oldham Shark II, where is the Oldham branch meet, tis in my neck of the woods
I did mention it to the better half and she said that it would spoil a great weekend

I'm not sure how to interpret that Sir. If you mean where does Oldham branch meet, we don't. I just like the name, makes us look quite official. please inform your good lady wife/husband/partner/life companion (delete as applicable), that refreshment with Oldham Branch would not spoil their weekend. Much.

bryanh (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 09:36
Ah yes it sounded good, no the wife has yet to decide if the cash should be saved for Bath or Bristol

MikeGC (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 10:06
Quote:
bryanh
Ah yes it sounded good, no the wife has yet to decide if the cash should be saved for Bath or Bristol

enjoyed a few memorable trips to Barf, well worth the effort

philthefluter (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 09:06
Based on our performances so far, I think that Exeter will have a try bonus point by half time and then Sale don't turn up in the second half - take your calculators!

Not that I'm a pessimist of course.

13 September, 2018 09:36
[Not that I'm a pessimist of course.]

Oi!!! That's my job matey! And never mind half-time, I'll give it 20mins. How's that for pessimism?

clutch (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 12:45
I'll be happy with sub 50 based on Chiefs start to the season.

ale shark (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 13:25
Quote:
clutch
I'll be happy with sub 50 based on Chiefs start to the season.

Most bookies have them at 22 points on the handicap betting.

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 13:31
What would be good IMHO and would be considered a success for me would be

1. Improving our workrate in the forward pack
2. When we have the ball and take it into contact - we actually retain it
3. Improve our lineout success rate
4. Defend Exeter's rolling maul
5. Achieve parity in the scrum
6. Keep our defense structure in place plus our attack structure (for example Cips barely enters a ruck when Glou take the ball into contact unless he absolutely has to - AJ on the other hand enters into most rucks as he prob realises we won't retain the ball - See point 1)

If memory serves we went to Exeter last time and we lost (no shame in that) however we gave it real go and went at them for 80 mins. If we do that this time then I think all Sale fans can be proud and it will be help to banish memories of 2 fairly lack luster performances.

Massive ask on the forward pack - might be handy having both Curries on the pitch to help with speed and the backs will need to be clinical to take any opportunities when they arise

Flumpty (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 13:39
I'll settle for 80 mins like the last 5 mins of the first half against Wuss, where we defended 38 phases on our line (& JP Doyle as ref whilst we do it !).

Then a penalty awarded to us in the last minute, that Adge Mack slots over to secure an unlikly 0-3 victory at Sandy Park.

Oldhamprop (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 20:09
I am going down with my brother in law, Oldham > Exeter and back in the day!!

See if we can spot each other for a beer and a chip muffin before the game / slaughter 👍🏼

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 20:48
Sadly not going but can I stick my neck out here and suggest that we might do ok....

13 September, 2018 22:18
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark
Sadly not going but can I stick my neck out here and suggest that we might do ok....

GOS, to have consumed an amount of alcohol to distort your sense of reality to that extent on a midweek evening is disturbing. Are you to seek help? Further alcohol?

14 September, 2018 11:50
Depends what GOS means by `OK`. OK for me would be both a try and losing bonus points.

- we can but dream!

Crutch (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 12:11
Nobody can defend Exeter's rolling maul, so I think that's too big an ask.

I hope that we play reasonably for territory, but that we do try and retain the ball for longer periods when outside our 22 so that our defence is not under constant pressure.

The reality is though we can't compete in a tight game - the only way we can get anywhere is to be risky, and that means more errors are likely and more chance of being turned over. Much easier to recycle when keeping close to your pack as Exeter are so good at doing (-and Worcester did last week) than supporting players out wide who can get isolated.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 23:46
How do you define "slaughter" OSII?
Anything more than 4 converted tries difference in the scoreline?
Very negative.
Even the bookies only think 22 points and they don't support Sale!
Will you eat your Sale hat if you are proven wrong?

Is it not posts like that that trigger "you lot are just so ****ing negative!" when they know you post on here?
I got that on Thursday from a very good analytical coach who works/worked at SS!
It's the third game of the season!

He probably missed the positive aspect that you were actually travelling 250 plus miles each way to watch!
Mind your Redtop Headlines! It gives us all a bad press!(Sm85)(Sm100)(Sm6)

ale shark (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 08:32
I’d put annihilation at +49, slaughter at +35 and spanking at +21.

I think today’s score will be similar to the Quins score, a severe spanking.

15 September, 2018 15:35
Quote:
Oldham Shark II
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark

GOS, to have consumed an amount of alcohol to distort your sense of reality to that extent on a midweek evening is disturbing. Are you to seek help? Further alcohol?

I must be drunk again.....

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 16:45
Quote:
ale shark
I’d put annihilation at +49, slaughter at +35 and spanking at +21.
I think today’s score will be similar to the Quins score, a severe spanking.

17 points is a mild spanking right?

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 17:20
Rob Baxter indicated it was a close hard-fought battle until the last quarter when they were finally able to pull away...
If home advantage is worth around 10 points then it's not really even a spanking at all, IMHO.
Reason for a degree of optimism for a target of the top half I reckon.

Crutch (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 17:51
missing key players too.

Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 18:55
I would say it was far from a spanking.... Score flattered us a bit in truth. Rob always tells it as it is and questioned our work rate and individual performances at half time.

Chiefs (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 19:19
Chief in peace.

As above, I think the score flattered us too.

A huge well done to your boys today, what a gritty bunch they are, always had a soft spot for Sale though. thumbs down

15 September, 2018 19:50
Don't lets get carried away. Chiefs had 9 changes from last week and we still shipped 5 tries

Crutch (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 20:04
And we're missing 4 tier 1 internationals from the backline...

MartWhit (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 20:13
We'll always have players missing. Its the nature of the game.

Exeter also had several missing, including 2 on the day dropouts. Difference for them is they chose to make 9 changes, and it meant they had an almost fresh tight 5.

This was a resilient performance by the sounds of it though. And I'm happy for Cam Nield that he showed many naysayers he can push Webber hard this season. We will be a more composed attacking unit if/when we get Ashton & JOC on the park.

buelligansmate (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 20:16
Forgotten Rohan?

15 September, 2018 20:17
Thought Jennings was really good today especially in the first half

Olyy (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 20:21
Quote:
buelligansmate
Forgotten Rohan?
1. Faf,
2. Rohan,
3. JOC,
4. Ashton

Are we missing any others from the backs?

MartWhit (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 20:53
I didnt. I just feel that JOC & Ashton will add composure, whilst Rohan will offer boundless physicality.

Yareet (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 21:08
Haven’t seen the game yet but BBC quotes Dimes “one stage in the second half we had an overlap of seven to one but still couldn't score“. Really?

15 September, 2018 21:16
Quote:
Yareet
Haven’t seen the game yet but BBC quotes Dimes “one stage in the second half we had an overlap of seven to one but still couldn't score“. Really?

Sadly yes, only one of at least half a dozen opportunities that we failed to capitalise on...

Partly our lack of accuracy and partly rub of the green...

Olyy (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 21:29
We definitely threw a few loopy miss passes in their 22 that were completely unnecessary
One was a three on 1(?) And the pass was so wild byron had to leap at full stretch and it still went into touch

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 15/09/2018 21:57 by Olyy.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 21:46
We definitely need more composure as we try too much too soon too often in the backs; a belief that our forwards can’t keep the ball..?

MartWhit (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 22:02
yes probably Staly. And to be fair its quite well founded.

clutch (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 22:06
Who was culpable for these butched chances?

Toomanychiefs (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 22:08
Chief in peace...
Good old game of rugby played by two fully committed teams,Great credit to your lads,well coached and really came to win.As said above ,i think the score flattered us a bit and you deserved at least one point out of it.

Olyy (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 22:08
Think both AJ and Cliff threw wild miss passes that weren't needed,
AJ threw the one towards the end when we were chasing the losing BP and Byron couldn't take it

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 22:13
When will OSII start eating his hat in remorse and embarassment?
Or is he in hospital in Exeter in a catatonic state due to the shock of it all? (Sm6)

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 00:02
Byron went for it but he had odogwu outside him who was better positioned to receive it in my opinion. Those two nearly clashed again when going for a high ball

WithingtonShark (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 09:58
Quote:
Olyy
We definitely threw a few loopy miss passes in their 22 that were completely unnecessary
One was a three on 1(?) And the pass was so wild byron had to leap at full stretch and it still went into touch

I saw that and thought it was going straight for Paolo but Byron lept in front of it. The lack of service on that wing to Denny and then what I saw as a mistrust of using Paolo is a real waste of the talent we have on that wing...

17 September, 2018 10:54
Quote:
H's Dad...
When will OSII start eating his hat in remorse and embarassment?
Or is he in hospital in Exeter in a catatonic state due to the shock of it all? (Sm6)

I'm not sure I should feel embarrassed as the majority of people, I believe, thought we would get a hiding/spanking/slaughter (delete as applicable). However I can recommend not attempting to eat a trilby. It's very furry on the throat. I only got three mouthfuls down the hatch.

On another note, I would certainly recommend a trip to Exeter for those who haven't been, for friendliness they take some beating. (Leicester take note). The amount of people that thanked us so much for coming down and wished us well was unbelievable. And 50mins on the plane the trip is a no brainer.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 12:16
Well done indeed for attending OSII, the reward being a great day out, meeting lots of friendly supporters and a pretty good contest. Who was your mom on our team?

clutch (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 12:32
What’s the most pallitable hat to eat?

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 12:34
Pork Pie hat?

17 September, 2018 13:12
Quote:
H's Dad...
Well done indeed for attending OSII, the reward being a great day out, meeting lots of friendly supporters and a pretty good contest. Who was your mom on our team?

It seemed to be a wholehearted team effort, but as everyone knows the glaring deficiency is in the pack. As has been suggested it was the same old Sale, get in good positions and just cock it up. I think Marlon Yarde is going to be one of the best signings of the last year or two, he always seems to impress.

17 September, 2018 13:40
Hmmmm. I don't think getting beat by 5 tries to 2 by an Exeter team comprising so many fringe players is really in hat eating territory is it?

Leicester conceded one more try against the first team and sacked the Coach.

ale shark (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 14:13
Quote:
philthefluter
Hmmmm. I don't think getting beat by 5 tries to 2 by an Exeter team comprising so many fringe players is really in hat eating territory is it?
Leicester conceded one more try against the first team and sacked the Coach.

Semi-relevant snippet from today's Guardian:

"Benefits of youth on show at Exeter
Not many sides could cope with losing two England back-rows as comfortably as Exeter made do without Sam Simmonds and Matt Kvesic – both ruled out through illness on Saturday morning – against Sale. It is a measure of the squad Rob Baxter has been compiling at Sandy Park that Sam Lonsdale and Tom Lawday, as comparatively unheralded as they may be, stood up to the task. There were also first starts of the season for the 21-year-old half‑backs Joe Simmonds and Jack Maunder, who was replaced by his 18-year-old brother, Sam, with five minutes remaining. As more clubs are increasingly willing to turn to young players this season – a result of slimmer squads brought about by salary increases – it would appear Exeter are benefiting from having already done so."

Olyy (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 15:46
Quote:
WithingtonShark
Quote:
Olyy

I saw that and thought it was going straight for Paolo but Byron lept in front of it. The lack of service on that wing to Denny and then what I saw as a mistrust of using Paolo is a real waste of the talent we have on that wing...

That would make sense,
My head went into my hands as the pass was juggled in to touch so I must have missed Paolo out on the wing

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 17:18
philthefluter, Leicester are normally a top four side.
Different standards apply. (Either that or Dimes has some leverage v Simon Orange!)
In any case almost everyone acknowledges that was OTT.

Although there were two late withdrawls by Exeter, OSII must surely have seen the number of young players in the Exeter team. Yet he still deemed 'a slaughter' likely.
As a SALE SUPPORTER, 3 games in, that really is a tad pessimistic and negative.
OK for a moaning neutral to predict against their strongest side, but this wasn't.

It wasn't a slaughter at all and we had several more clear-cut missed chances to score.
So as OSII seems to acknowledge '3 mouthfulls' is a suitable rhetorical punishment.

18 September, 2018 06:14
In fairness to OSII he wouldn't know what the Exeter team would be when he posted this last Tuesday.

Rob Baxter obviously thought, as we are usually a soft touch away from home, that he could get away with sprinkling a few fringe players around the park and still win comfortably.

He didn't know he was going to lose 2 international back rows on the day of the match and have to bring in 2 teenagers, yet they still scored 5 tries.

Who knows what the score would have been if Exeter had put the `first team` out

Crutch (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 08:19
Or to be more accurate, Exeter have a large squad and they use it through the season. It's not a case of first team all the time and get away with loads of reserves against Sale.

This was a very creditable performance (as noted by Dimes, Exeter and reporters) given our small squad and current players unavailable, and will give the players confidence going into the vital Wasps game, even if not all fans feel the same way.

ale shark (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 09:07
Quote:
Crutch
This was a very creditable performance (as noted by Dimes, Exeter and reporters) given our small squad and current players unavailable, and will give the players confidence going into the vital Wasps game, even if not all fans feel the same way.

A valiant performance indeed but we got nothing from the game and shouldn't be constantly lauding our small squad. Does Dimes give an interview where he doesn't mention it? We've got about 20 fit players and they're going to be knackered in a few weeks and we'll still be at the bottom end of the table. It's not something to be proud of, it’s just meaningless soundbites that reflect poorly on the club set-up.

18 September, 2018 09:40
We keep going on about `current players unavailable` - They are all backs. And, yes there would be an improvement, but the old adage still stands -

`Forwards win matches, backs just determine by how many`

Let's face it, collectively, our forwards just aren't good enough. We all know that. Diamond knows that. We keep being promised big name signings that never seem to materialise.

With the pack Exeter put out against us last week it was a good opportunity for us to get at least a losing bonus point but in the end we didn't get close.

Yes, the backs butchered a couple of good chances, but listening to it live on the Radio, so did Exeter.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 10:13
Perhaps the prospective forwards have a quick look on here at posts like yours phil and decide against joining us.
Not likely to be a huge factor of course, but optimism for the possibilites on here might push decisions the other way a bit.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 10:28
so we should lie and not say what we think? for PR purposes?

We are all followers. The mood and the topics derive from what the club produces. We're in 11th with one of the worst points differences. That's despite having Quins & Worcs, possibly 2 of the most attractive opening fixtures in the book. If the mood is pessimistic its because the play has created that. The club know what they need to do to turn the mood around. WIn games, play decent rugby. There's thousands who will then quickly jump on the positive momentum, even me.

Crutch (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 12:26
So how did we almost qualify top 6 and only a couple of tight away wins from top 4 if our pack is so useless?...

Poking With Sticks (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 12:34
Quote:
Crutch
Or to be more accurate, Exeter have a large squad and they use it through the season. It's not a case of first team all the time and get away with loads of reserves against Sale.

Exactly. Apart from the two young backrows I don't think there were any fringe players in. Joe Simmonds interchanges with Steenson quite often. Jack Maunder was in because of injuries to two other SHs but he's an international let's not forget. There were a few on the bench perhaps but that's been the case all season so far.

clutch (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 12:52
Crutch. No Ostrikov. Webber doesn’t look as effective. John is gettting found out. Plus other teams around us have strengthened. Regardless of last season there is no doubts the pack is struggling. It struggled at times last year but we defended well and our super backline clicked.

This season we have no Faff and our pack is weak relative to the other teams who have improved.

ale shark (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 12:54
Quote:
Crutch
So how did we almost qualify top 6 and only a couple of tight away wins from top 4 if our pack is so useless?...

Almost means nothing, we finished 8th. We couldn't win those tight games, probably because the forwards on our bench were/are so weak/untrusted. Nothing has changed to improve that.

Crutch (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 13:05
John struggled against Marler last year. Webber started last season unfit. Ostrikov had time out injured. These are all things that happen through a year.

It's a nonsense to decide that off the back of the games so far our pack is much worse than last year, especially when we've recruited a heavy unit in 2nd row that everyone agreed we needed, and it's potentially freed up Josh into back row.

I again say it's laughable to decide that all other packs have improved relative to us on the basis of games so far. You also can't isolate backs from how the forwards perform. Who's to say that without the quick ball and go forward from Faf and RJVR our forwards wouldn't be looking better. No coincidence for me that our forwards looked best in the middle of last year when Rohan was in the team.

Now I'm not saying there aren't issues with the size of squad or a couple of props aren't desperately needed, but these aren't new things compared to last year, and I think the pessimism on here is hugely overblown when in fact very little has changed.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 14:13
how do you feel Phillips has performed as a 2nd row unit so far Crutch?

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 14:19
Watched a replay of the game.

First half was good. We were under the cosh for a fair bit of it. Sloppy try conceded early on. A couple of handling errors stopped us making more of some good attacks. The try was some great skill by both AJ & Yarde. AJ's kicking boots were good, Tom Curry, Neild put themselves about a bit so did Jennings.

Second half was fairly open - missed tackle by Jennings saw Slade storm through for their opener - the 2 yellow cards were interesting. Felt a bit sorry for the ref on the pitch. The TV ref seemed to have the right idea but couldn't get a sentence to form him thoughts out to the onfield ref whilst the linesmen was on a totally different page so fair play to the Ref for making his own mind up. Ross may feel a bit hard done by but he did get involved when he didn't need to. The most amusing part of it was Yarde/Nowell laughing their heads off at each other.

I'm amazed our try was given - looked like Paolo was clearly in touch, couldn't believe how poor our defence was when we conceded straight after scoring.

The horse looked very solid at fullback throughout - Sam James had another quiet game bar one storming run through. Beamont sadly was barely noticeable in terms of ball carrying. Cliff had a nice mix to his game, the very occasional mistake but I guess he's still getting used to playing 80 minutes and having to marshall all the time.

Lineout looked really good, scrum went backwards for most of the match in saying that I think we only gave 2 pens away.

I'm not sure what happened towards the end - I can see why Dimes said we couldn't finish when we had a 7 on 1 - I think it was more like a 5 on 1 but his point is valid - Yarde had picked up after James/Yarde initially burst through and instead of going through hands he passed all the way to the wing, Paolo didn't overly help matters. Later on the game as we were building nicely again AJ threw another big cutout pass which wasn't needed and again all effort came to nothing.

Usual story really - need to tidy up on the handling/passing, cut out the mistakes (AJ's dropped high ball lead directly to their try...), show more composure when we attack and patience. We can seemingly score the "impossible" tries but not the ones that should be easier.

Massive game against Wasps. We really need the points and I'm a bit wary of how we will handle the pressure - e.g. will we still have the confidence to go all out and attack or go into our shell's somewhat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/09/2018 14:32 by Surbiton Shark.

clutch (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 14:42
Thought Phillips was good against Worc. Not seen the Chiefs game.

Crutch. I think 3 games is plenty re other teams. Gloucester have signed 2 players who just beat NZ in NZ. I realise that that doesn’t necessarily mean that means Glou will be better on the pitch.

To back up your point our backs are in theory stronger this year and the pack is the same.

Still think we can make top 6.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net