rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Team v Exeter 15/09/2018
14 September, 2018 12:03
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnDL9nzX4AAxLoR.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

Re: Team v Exeter 15/09/2018
Crutch (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 12:16
Neild the only surprise. Show of faith, Webber struggling for fitness, or acknowledgement that we're unlikely to get anything here (in which case you'd expect more changes)?

Hopefully the former - Cam was good in the loose last week, but seems a surprising game to take weight out of the pack.

Good to see Tom back - slightly surprised to not see a 6/2 split here with Odogwu highly unlikely to come on and the backs covered between Byron and the James brothers. Would have liked Nott as an option for this game.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 12:31
and Ostrikov.

Crutch (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 12:39
Consensus is that Ostrikov must be injured.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 12:50
Not sure why we are asking Beaumont to change to 2nd row and Strauss coming on for Phillips. Surely better to start with Beaumont at 2nd row and then throw Phillips on when our pack is re-jigged to add bulk?

BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 14:12
Quote:
StalyShark
Not sure why we are asking Beaumont to change to 2nd row and Strauss coming on for Phillips. Surely better to start with Beaumont at 2nd row and then throw Phillips on when our pack is re-jigged to add bulk?

Struck me the maul went better with Phillips on than it did last year, and Beaumont was more prominent at 8 than he was at lock.

Crutch (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 15:04
I think it's a way to have one of those bulk players on at any one time. Interesting to see how it's done once Andrei is back.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 15:41
Cam's selection may well indicate that Dimes accepts that we stand a better chance by playing a free flowing wider game, moving their pack around a lot. He is far more mobile than Webber. Cam is also a far more prodigious tackler. At times we will be obliged to tackle an awful lot playing Exeter.
A couple of seasons ago, before he switched from flanker to hooker he apparently topped the tackling stats for the whole season above all the other (international) Premiership back rows! He was also up towards the top in number of carries.

thekeg (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 15:44
Good point HísD, not sure that theory makes me more optimistic though smiling smiley

philthefluter (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 16:48
Neild's line out throwing is suspect to say the least. He will have to do an awful lot of tackling if he keeps throwing the ball back to Exeter.

yukon (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 19:09
Quote:
philthefluter
Neild's line out throwing is suspect to say the least. He will have to do an awful lot of tackling if he keeps throwing the ball back to Exeter.

Agreed. Iím happy to be proved wrong but for me, heís about a thousand hours of line out practice short. Iím not being flippant, itís a genuine worry.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 20:02
The number is completely flippant, although the opinion behind it isn't. However we have no knowledge about how much practice he currently does and how he compares stats-wise in training with Webber.
Do opta stats actually compare the two for game time stats hitting the jumper?
If so can someone post them?
Anecdotal evidence is just that. It can exaggerate differences. As would the absence of Bryn for example.

I'm more concerned that Cam didn't overule the call to throw to the back in the last lineout. Someone surely should have.
A poor call (and execution) given the circumstances.

Worthy of note that 'Webber has missed quite a few' recently. So there may be more to it.

Lineout practice for everyone is almost certainly high up on the current agenda.

Last time I spoke to Cam (at a pre-season game at HR), he was only too aware that this aspect of his game needed improving and reassured me that he has been working on it a lot.

It's early doors: lets see how he does in Exeter.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2018 20:13 by H's Dad....

StalyShark (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 20:13
If we are worried about our scrum when the replacements are made then Webber will definitely provide the bulk and leadership to such an inexperienced unit.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 20:22
How can Cameron Neild have apparently topped the tackling stats a few years back? He either did or didn't, otherwise it's just anecdotal.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 20:48
I was informed originally and reminded by a reliable source very recently, last night actually, but I don't have access to opta stats so can't check myself.
If I did I would put a link.
I believe it to be true. "apparently" was indicating it came via a third party and was indeed to that extent anecdotal.
Check your pm's Dave.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2018 20:57 by H's Dad....

Re: Team v Exeter 15/09/201
yukon (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 22:25
Quote:
H's Dad...
The number is completely flippant, although the opinion behind it isn't. However we have no knowledge about how much practice he currently does and how he compares stats-wise in training with Webber.
Anecdotal evidence is just that. It can exaggerate differences. As would the absence of Bryn for example.

I'm more concerned that Cam didn't overule the call to throw to the back in the last lineout. Someone surely should have.

Worthy of note that 'Webber has missed quite a few' recently. So there may be more to it.

Lineout practice for everyone is almost certainly high up on the current agenda.

Last time I spoke to Cam (at a pre-season game at HR), he was only too aware that this aspect of his game needed improving and reassured me that he has been working on it a lot.

I get you love a bit of vitriol, so let me be plain- he is not a hooker, in fact Iíd go as far to say heís as much a hooker as Foden was a scrum half. If I had a beret Iíd wager it onto la table du petit dťjeuner.

The tight five, and specifically the front row, terrify me, weíre woefully short in quality.

Crutch (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 22:41
The club clearly don't agree with you given they were OK to let Jonesy leave.

I think Cam is going to have a good year.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 22:58
Agreed Crutch!
Dimes and England coaches, who have advised Cam, are apparently completely wrong then yukon?
I also have an opinion of course (check your pms) I also know how hard he will work to make the transition.

He's certainly not a traditional hooker shape, even though he is bulking up a bit, but we need to remind ourselves how much the game is changing. Athleticism is becoming king.

No need for vitriol or absurd exaggeration to get your opinion across, yukon!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2018 23:08 by H's Dad....

camshark (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 08:58
A lot of fans would have TT back , he is 4kg lighter than Cam !

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 10:25
Neild may not have the best throw, but Webber hasn't exactly been van Gerwen like so far this season.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Crutch (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 10:27
I presume Yukon was referring to the technical skills of a hooker more than just his size (please correct me if I'm wrong).

However, I was watching the warm up before the Worcester game and his throw was consistently better than Webber's (who was tending to under throw). He was 100% against Quins, and aside from the Newcastle debacle his throwing in has been fine when he's moved to hooker from back row in the past. The scrum doesn't noticeably suffer either, and that's why I think if you add his work rate around the park I'm optimistic about the move.

Re: Team v Exeter 15/09/201
james46 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 10:33
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
H's Dad...

I get you love a bit of vitriol, so let me be plain- he is not a hooker, in fact Iíd go as far to say heís as much a hooker as Foden was a scrum half. If I had a beret Iíd wager it onto la table du petit dťjeuner.

The tight five, and specifically the front row, terrify me, weíre woefully short in quality.

Agreed, Neild can do 80% of what a hooker needs to do, however he can't do the darts and he has been practicing since he was 16 and still can't get 70%+ right. It's a tough league and the set piece is so key. The jumpers may be an issue, however he constantly over throws, so either the lifters and jumpers are constantly late (not generally something that occurs with other hookers) or he can't throw.

Yes he does a lot of tackles, I think he was actually 3rd best that season, but somebody can check. He lacks pace over 5m though, so he is not a natural 7 and he's a small 6 or 8.

Personally, I don't see him anywhere near an England team as a hooker. Can you honestly see him above Jack Walker at Bath or Luke Cowan-Dickie at Exeter in the future?

thekeg (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 12:24
On the strength/conditioning side of things, he certainly looks more like a hooker now, heís certainly put on a fair bit of bulk

iBozz (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 14:32
Match commentary [should be] here: BBC Radio Devon.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

Crutch (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 14:32
Late changes announced for Exeter - Kvesic and Simmonds both out. I'm sure Exeter's reserves are well drilled but could we actually have the edge in back row???

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 14:39
Quote:
Crutch
Late changes announced for Exeter - Kvesic and Simmonds both out. I'm sure Exeter's reserves are well drilled but could we actually have the edge in back row???

That's a fillip for us as i believe they've been in good form so far this season

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 15:15
14-13 after 28 mins, our scrum hasn't been great.

clutch (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 15:29
Not bad for relegation fodder

iBozz (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 15:29
Exeter 14 - 13 Sale HT

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 15:31
Macginty showing great vision to kick to space for marland yarde try after we got a turnover.

14-13 half time

philthefluter (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 15:34
Let's hope we perform better in the second half than the last 2 games

StalyShark (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 15:36
Looking alright. A lot more lively with ball in hand. WGJ keeps getting popped up in the scrum just like he did against Marler. Also he and Phillips had a huge gap between them allowing Simmonds to break through.

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 15:56
Bryn Evans is way too wide way too often defensively and we have suffered for it

Olyy (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 15:59
Why the hell is Denny still on?
He should have gone as soon as he got his leg trapped, he can barely jog, yet we've turned down two opportunities to sub him

Olyy (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 16:08
That is a shameful decision to bin Jono Ross.

Both his touch judges and the TMO all saying Ross did @#$%& all, yet the ref is on a power trip and says "It's my decision" and does it anyway

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 16:13
What a try that was!!!

Ross yellow was a joke. We are certainly giving this a go!

Olyy (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 16:14
Odogwu with a great take of the high ball and then an outstanding break,

Surprised we're not going to the TMO, I thought Odogwu was both in touch and then offloaded forwards, but that was a quality break

15 September, 2018 16:14
From the sublime to the ridiculous....

Did Paulo slip over??

Olyy (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 16:16
....well that was terrible

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 16:30
Glimpses of brilliance but yet again dogged by handling errors, defensive disalignment and strange decisions

iBozz (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 16:34
FT Exeter 35 - 18 Sale.

Olyy (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 16:36
Best performance of the season,

Were really in until the benches/our lack of depth started to show and Exeter pulled away.

Promising signs, despite the scoreline.

15 September, 2018 16:36
Massive improvement on last week. Canít fault commitment and I think our tactics were pretty spot on. This gives me massive hope for the rest of the season. With our missing players back and firing top 6 is a real possibility

15 September, 2018 16:48
From the bits I saw.

We have it our best shot, had a lot of possession but messed up on the final pass.

Neild, Ross looked to really carry well. Iím not sure which Curry was on (Tom?) looked to be everywhere. Sam James looked good and Yarde as ever looked dangerous.

Paolo made a great try but canít seem to position himself defensively at all.

Overall took a lot of pride in that performance - set up nicely for wasps at home.

Incidentally Devoto and Newell looked great for Exeter

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 17:04
Judgig from espn stats our centre pairing missed 9 tackles today which is not good enough, Sam James has missed 13 this season and is looking likely to retake his most missed tackles record from last season.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 17:21
How was Cam with his arrows?

Crutch (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 17:21
I hope it improves as he's a class player, but at 13 there's always the danger that he's out gassed.

Decent chance that JoC will slot in there I'd have thought.

45jumper (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 17:26
I love Sam James as a player but until he adds a bit of aggression to his game he won't reach the heights he's capable of. He can do literally everything but he isn't physical enough for his size either in attack or defence. He has an outstanding skillset and once he adds a bit of grit he can be anything he wants to be.
Disappointing result but encouraging, from the Exeter Comms it sounded like we deserved at least a LBP but a lack of composure and fitness seemed to cost us. It does leave a lot on the line for next weekend though...

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 17:40
Quote:
45jumper
I love Sam James as a player but until he adds a bit of aggression to his game he won't reach the heights he's capable of. He can do literally everything but he isn't physical enough for his size either in attack or defence. He has an outstanding skillset and once he adds a bit of grit he can be anything he wants to be.
Disappointing result but encouraging, from the Exeter Comms it sounded like we deserved at least a LBP but a lack of composure and fitness seemed to cost us. It does leave a lot on the line for next weekend though...
I disagree that it was a lack of fitness that cost us, Bryn Evans seemed much more alive today than in last 2 weeks. I agree on the composure issue we had to incidents of backchat and on two occasions byron and Paulo seemed to get wires crossed. Our set piece play were 100% on retained possession so Cameron did well on the line out.

Olyy (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 17:50
Thought it was comfortably Neilds best showing at hooker,
Only remember one lineout going astray, don't think any weren't straight or were real overthrows. His aggression on attack and defence was great though.
Jennings was really impressive in the first half as well.

James showed glimpses, some nice runs and passes, but he's nowhere near his best atm. Wouldn't be surprised to see him drop out of the 23 when Ashton and JOC are back and fully fit

Crutch (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 17:56
Surely he's be a sub covering 10 and centre?

Olyy (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 18:11
Quote:
Crutch
Surely he's be a sub covering 10 and centre?
Possibly,
I think Rohan/JOC will be our centres and Jennings has been better than James this season for the reserve IMO (JOC covering 10 from the pitch)

This is all guess work though, and there's still a month to go until we're expecting to see JOC back (I think?) so plenty of time to assert himself. Jennings has looked better each game so no reason that S.James can't turn it up a notch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/09/2018 18:58 by Olyy.

brilin (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 18:55
Currently in Wales until the end of the month. £50 in petrol 4 hours of driving plus entrance means after the last 2 results I will definitely not be coming back for the Wasps game. We need reinforcements urgently. The current fit squad is not deep enough. By the time everyone is fit we will just be playing catch up.

The other 'arf

Crutch (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 20:01
Olyy, based on performances so far that makes sense, but would give a centre combination of RJVR and Jennings, which I don't think works.

Olyy (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 20:19
Quote:
Crutch
Olyy, based on performances so far that makes sense, but would give a centre combination of RJVR and Jennings, which I don't think works.

True, I'm just trying to think of how Dimes will play it.

JOC and Ashton are likely two of our highest wages, I think we'll want to start them both. Pre-Ashton I would've expected JOC to be our 15 and James our 13, nailed on, but now I think we'll have 11. Yarde, 12. Rohan, 13. JOC, 14. Solomona, 15. Ashton, 23. McGuigan

Crutch (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 20:30
I agree, but expect Sam J would be 22. In the event that RJVR went off, Sam J or JoC could play 12.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 20:53
9. Faf
10. AJ
11. Yarde
12. RJVR
13. JOC
14. Denny
15. Ashton

21. Cliff (who I think has surprised many)
22. S James
23. McGuigan

Crutch (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 21:35
That's a top 4 backline. Just need Kitshoff and Shrek in the pack.

Yareet (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 11:10
Quote:
Crutch
That's a top 4 backline. Just need Kitshoff and Shrek in the pack.

Trying to remember when we have ever had an all-capped backline.

Missing a couple to do it in the pack I think.

?
Webber
Tarus
Evans
Ostrikov
?
Curry
Strauss

Iíd argue however that isnít necessarily our best 8. Also shows where we have spent the money that we have (bar AJ) all tier 1 nations for the backs but Alex and Andre for the backs.

Would be good to see the little flag on all the shirts of the starting XV.

Timpers (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 12:13
"Trying to remember when we have ever had an all-capped backline."

Did we ever have:

15 Robinson
14 Cueto
13 McAlister
12 Mark Taylor
11 Cohen
10 Hodgson
9 Redpath

Matthew Tait and Wrigglesworth could be there somewhere too.

clutch (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 12:49
Elvis. Hanley Ripol. Martens

HerefordShark (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 17:37
Cohen and Redpath didn't overlap, pretty sure we could have fielded the following at some point though:

Rory Lamont
Mark Cueto
Matt Tait
Luke McAlister
Oriol Ripol
Charlie Hodgson
Richard Wigglesworth

However I'm not sure they ever made the pitch at the same time!

clutch (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 18:57
Not sure Lamont and McAllister overlapped. The prem final team had one non international in Wiggy and he was only playing cause Martens was injured.

Crutch (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 20:31
My memory is pretty ropey, but wasn't Wiggy only an international after he moved to Sarries?

16 September, 2018 20:31
Didnít ripol leave when we won the prem? Taut I think joined after the 2007 RWC

Olyy (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 20:56
According to google we once put out of a backline of:
Rory Lamont; Mark Cueto, Mathew Tait, Luke McAlister, David Doherty; Charlie Hodgson, Dwayne Peel

with Ripol coming off the bench to replace Doherty

I imagine at some point in the 08/09 season we did have a full international starting backline (though with the injury rates of Tait, Lamont and McAlister maybe not!)

Ripol didn't leave until 2010

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/09/2018 20:58 by Olyy.

johneverton (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 20:58
Wiggy came off the bench v.Italy in 2008 and made his full England debut away v.France. I remember Sky's producer constantly ringing me up when I was en route along the A.50, heading for Leicester.If I could get there for 1.00pm, could I interview PSA.....?

I did and I did. Still waiting for the fee......

clutch (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 22:34
In champ winning season we must have had

Martens
Hodgson
Cueto
Taylor
Elvis
Ripol/Hanley
Robinson

thekeg (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 09:47
Quote:
clutch
In champ winning season we must have had
Martens
Hodgson
Cueto
Taylor
Elvis
Ripol/Hanley
Robinson

Think Hanley had retired by that season

clutch (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 12:30
Donít think so. Actually thatís incorrect. He may have been injured but he scored 2 tries in the LI game away when we came from 15-0 down to win.

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 13:49
Quote:
Crutch
My memory is pretty ropey, but wasn't Wiggy only an international after he moved to Sarries?

He was still a Shark on his international debut. I watched in a bar in Lanzarote, and leapt to my feet, pointing at the badge on my shirt when he scored.

Crutch (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 14:23
Happy to be wrong on this one.

thekeg (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 14:38
Quote:
clutch
Donít think so. Actually thatís incorrect. He may have been injured but he scored 2 tries in the LI game away when we came from 15-0 down to win.

Yes double checked and I was wrong. He got injured in 2007

emerging shark (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 13:49
I'm sure we must have had it under Turner? Richard Smith, Turner, Baxendale, Rees, Beim, Hanley to name just a few, I'm sure someone can add to this...

thekeg (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 13:51
Quote:
emerging shark
I'm sure we must have had it under Turner? Richard Smith, Turner, Baxendale, Rees, Beim, Hanley to name just a few, I'm sure someone can add to this...

When was Jos capped though? Wasnít it after turner left? Was beim capped?

MartWhit (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 14:11
as a fly half in NZ on the tour of hell

we would have had Redpath, Hodgson, Bond, Baxendell, Cueto, Hanley, RObinson perhaps?

ale shark (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 14:35
Wasn't Vaughan Going an All Black? (Sm100)

clutch (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 14:38
Good point. Hong Kong in fact though. Mart is right. Which is what I meant by the cup final type team. Braam Van was about as well.

18 September, 2018 15:49
Would we have had....Peel, Cips/Charlie, Cueto, either the Italian guy with long hair/Argentina chap (went to play in France), Ben Cohen and AN other on the pitch at some point - not Sure Bomber Thomas ever got a int cap

Olyy (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 17:11
Peel, Cips, Cueto, Bash Brothers, Amesbury (7s international), Cam Shepherd
Happened in 12/13, not sure if we had another full international winger than season that may have played there at some point

emerging shark (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 17:37
Yes Tom Beim was capped, can't remember the year. Richard Smith was also a Welsh cap.There was Mannix as well didnt he get a blacks cap? Sorry i thought we were just talking about the backs who got capped.Just to add to the debate which sale player over the years got the most caps for his country?(whilst he was at Sale). Robinson or Cueto I guess...

clutch (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 18:23
Beim was capped on that tour to Argentina with Mallinder I guess

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 18:48
Beim: 2 caps v Bew Zealand 1998

clutch (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 20:15
Tour from hell?

Barend (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 20:26
Quote:
Emerging
emerging shark

A few players there from Mitchell's days / post Mitchell. Turner had left by the time Richard Smith turned up (who was capped after leaving Sale). He may have even gone before Beim and certainly Hanley.

You could chuck Mannix or Howarth in there instead, that may have happened. Who could be the centre - Hadley? John Devereux was around for a bit then but was always injured.

Was there ever something like:
Mallinder, Rees, Jos, Barrie Jon Mather, Hanley, Nikki Little, Chris Saverimutto*?

*I'm quite impressed at remembering him. Had two spells at Heywood Road I think, first time round was with Gus Warr's dad Mark as the two scrum halves

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 06:01
Nikki Little well after Rees and Saverimuto. He might not have started until after Big had finished either.

Quote:
Clutch
Tour from hell?

Yes, along with Matt Moore and Jos Baxendell in the backs. Pat Sanderson and Duncan Bellies in the forwards.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net