rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Who is Sir?
Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 13:41
?

Re: Who is Sir?
Flumpty (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 14:21
Tom Foley. Distant relative of WWE legend Mick Mankind Foley

Flumpty (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 15:16
OMG Wigglesworth is one of the ARs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2018 15:17 by Flumpty.

clutch (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 16:58
Foley really good today. Reffed the breakdown completely differently to every other ref. We would have lost if he wasn’t reffing I think.

isitme (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 18:01
Foley is usually very keen on quick ball at the breakdown.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 18:34
He seemed to ignore "coming in from the side" and "playing the ball when already on the ground" fairly consistently. We were mostly the beneficiaries of this. It tended to favour the side in possession.

Olyy (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 18:46
Consistency is key in refereeing, and I felt he was consistent all game.
I mentioned in the other thread, but I really liked how he had sympathy for trapped players, rather than being whistle happy like sir last week

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 19:12
At the beginning I was worried he wasn't seeing falcons offenses like the high tackle and what was a clear turnover from curry prevented by holding.

clutch (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 19:18
Yeah. That first one was blatant but Curry was in the side for at least one of the pens I thought. As Olly said he was consistent

BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 23:36
And the best of it is that Wigglesworth has found his best position - not in the middle!

camshark (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 23:46
Thought he handled the game very well , and consistent in decisions, which from a player and supporters perspective is all you can ask for.
Only blip for me was Youngs yellow but no penalty try, sorry but there was no way Horse wouldn't have scored if he hadn't been illegally stopped.

clutch (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 23:56
Not sure you can say that for sure. If Young’s had taken him low not sure he’d have scored.

Olyy (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 00:10
Quote:
clutch
Not sure you can say that for sure. If Young’s had taken him low not sure he’d have scored.
That's not how penalty tries are worked out - the offender is completely removed from the picture, they don't predict what would have happened if the offence hasn't happened, it's if the offender wasn't there at all.

To be fair I'm thinking it should have been a PT as well, now. The other defenders arrived after Byron would have slid over

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 08:12
Thought it was a clear PT at the time and even more so now I've watched the highlights. A try was prevented by act of foul play and the other defenders were not close enough to stop Byron. Its that last bit where the officials got it wrong. There's no way they were stopping Byron from there

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 17:11
Agreed, and until refs start awarding a penalty try AND a yellow card then defenders will continue to do it, denying a proper contest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2018 17:12 by H's Dad....

clutch (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 17:56
Start? The used to. That’s been stopped this year. If that’s the law Olly then a try would have been probably scored so it was a clear penalty try.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 19:11
I thought he reffed the breakdown like a Southern hemisphere ref (probably what EJ wants) i.e. the side in possession could do pretty much whatever they wanted. Some blatant in at the sides were frustratingly ignored, but as mentioned he was consistent.He communicated well too. I agree that his only major mistake was the lack of PT for the high tackle.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 20:20
What was really poor was the TMO missing the decapitation of Byron in the first half, despite it being visible from the West Stand all the way across to the other half and in front of the East Stand.

Can someone who knows the game better than me comment on the second incident after the Mulipola push on Yarde? A Falcons player dived into the ruck as Jono appeared to grab the ball and would’ve had a pretty good shot at diving over the line for a try from that close in. Foley said he’d look at it after the push (clearly audible on commentary), but then never went back to it. That looked a certain yellow in real time and could’ve seen two binned at the same time. I’d be interested in more knowledgeable analysis though.

clutch (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 20:35
Papje just your knowledge. It’s an auto yellow. Don’t think the ref could really give 2 cards though.

Poynton totally disagree. He allowed far more competition than other refs. How many turn overs were there. I bet we at least doubled our total for the season. All refs allow the attacking team to come in the side.

Flumpty (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 20:39
Quote:
Pappje Shark
What was really poor was the TMO missing the decapitation of Byron in the first half, despite it being visible from the West Stand all the way across to the other half and in front of the East Stand.
Can someone who knows the game better than me comment on the second incident after the Mulipola push on Yarde? A Falcons player dived into the ruck as Jono appeared to grab the ball and would’ve had a pretty good shot at diving over the line for a try from that close in. Foley said he’d look at it after the push (clearly audible on commentary), but then never went back to it. That looked a certain yellow in real time and could’ve seen two binned at the same time. I’d be interested in more knowledgeable analysis though.

If my memory is switched on fully, it went like this (sadly, my reflink didn't pick up the TMO's side of the conversation"

"Ok Jono, we have 2 penalties awarded. One there and one there, where would you like to take the penalty from. & that was it - there didn't seem to be any consideration about taking it further.

Crutch (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 22:30
Will wait for the full replay as couldn't see the second incident, but given the red zone nature of it, for a penalty awarded there, forward momentum and scattered defence, i was surprised it wasn't also deemed a yellow offence.

I really don't like where refs don't punish constant infringement with a yellow because they've already given a yellow for a foul play offence (not just at the same play but whilst a team is down a player too). Newcastle on at least 2 occasions really should've had another player in the bin for the number of pens given away close to the line.

It was such a better game to watch though with competition allowed for the ball.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 03:15
I've read my post a few times now, and still can't see where I said that he didn't allow competition for the ball. If Curry was there before the clearers then he often got the turnover, on more than one occasion he wrestled with the ball in the Newcastle players hands before being knocked off by a player coming in at the side. No penalty for holding on, no penalty for in at the side. On those occasions there was no need for competition for the ball, the Falcon should simply release.

Just for any Falcons fans reading, I'm sure Sale held on on occasion too, I just honestly can't recall any, obviously we came in at the side at most available opportunities too.

Pappje I assume that was Floods flying high tackle, just before he went off? I was surprised that no action was taken in the current climate. I don't think Byron suffered any ill effects, but the potential was there, and certainly a behaviour that World Rugby are trying to change with the new interpretations of high tackles. That one not necessarily a fault of the ref, but as Flumpty mentioned he didn't seem too hot on picking up high tackles. The first one I remember being given occurred right under his nose, but was only awarded after the TJ intervened. Players will continue to struggle when one week we get a penalty for George Ford basically resting his arm on a players shoulder, and the next Flood not penalised for that.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

clutch (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 06:45
You are probably right. It was more the implication that it was more SH style because he allowed people in the side and off feet compared to other refs. All refs allow that, which is why I didn’t get the distinction

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net