rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Faf's Return
Olyy (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 23:19
How much/how soon should we play Faf when he's back?
He's played a crazy amount of rugby recently (all but 8 mins of the rugby championship, over 70mins in all three England tests) and has had no off season.

It's an awkward situation - he's one of the best 9s in the world, probably our best player - we want him back and starting asap...but equally we don't want him breaking down.
However if we give him two weeks off then that basically leads into the November internationals (apparently we're not releasing him for the boks out of window game, but we're obliged to for the rest), and we wont have seen him until basically Christmas.

I'm hoping that we've worked something out with the Boks coaches that we'd be fine with him staying with them for the whole RC (unlike LeRoux, for example) if they agreed not to select him in November.

Re: Faf's Return
StalyShark (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 06:24
That was the party line, that he is back for good now. However, I don't think he should play again until the premiership starts again. He came straight from super rugby last year and has trained all summer. Give the lad a whole month off. Rotate Cliff and Warr and potentially have JOC at 10 when Cliff plays to have something more livewire in the 9-10 channel.

Crutch (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 06:37
Agreed he must have at least a couple of weeks off, which takes us into the new cup comp where he wouldn't play anyway.

Would possibly play him last game of the cup along with most of rest of the first team so they're not too rusty going into the Sarries game.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 07:06
Rest him and keep him form Prem games only. Too valuable to risk burnout of injury from fatigue

Jar of Tea (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 08:19
Wider point about squad rotation.

Does anyone feel with the size of squad and where we are in the league that we should be risking key men in Europe this year.

I don't. I think a real shame that we won't be in a position to contest group games but I think we are in too tight a pack in the bottom quarter of the league and have too thin backup.

Starts in all Europe games for at least Pope, Langdon, Dolly, Nott, Posselthwaite, Moore, Warr, Wilko, Odogwu, Doherty, Reed would reduce our keyman risk a lot by protecting those key men as well as enabling them to push their individual cases for being viable cover this year rather than anon.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 08:47
I would normally want us to put out a decent side and would be mightly hacked off I travelled to Perpignan to find a jets side playing

However I agree that in our current position and with lack of squad depth we have got to prioritise the league and would therefore select accordingly

clutch (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 09:29
Faff to bench the last game and get 30 mins for me.

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 09:35
Heís got to be given a break or else he wonít be hugely effective. Then just get him fit and ready for the 2019 half of the season.

I agree that having JOC at 10 on the odd occasion will help add that spark. Yesterday he looked classy with the touches he had.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 11:34
I feel that as with every previous year we will put out a strong side in this Cup until further progress is unlikely, then it will be used as an opportunity to try different combinations.
I'll wager a very strong side will travel albeit our starting props may need to be rested.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 11:42
Faf will get a break of a couple of weeks at least youíd think.

To ashtonís point - alternatively, you can argue that we want to get a winning mentality back. When we had our woes two seasons back, it was turned around through the winter and by winning some european and AWC games. I think it was Cardiff who visited with a very young team and faced a very strong outfit from us. It was a mismatch but part of a plan to restore and rebuild confidence. Weíre not at such a low ebb as that, but the winning habit is well worth breeding.

Jar of Tea (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 17:40
Would like to see Leota given the oportunity to show if he's still got it in the cup comps as well.

ale shark (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 18:48
Last time I followed Sale away was Montpellier. We went into that game bottom of the league I think and put out a very weak side and I was a bit cheesed off at the selection. Played well though I seem to recall, maybe even scored first.

Agree that Faf should get a least 2-3 weeks away from rugby and bench in the last game of this next block of fixtures before the league returns. Iíll be disappointed if Harrison doesnít play at least 72mins in each game though.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 14:33
My money is on faf playing for us as soon as Connacht at home.

clutch (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 16:07
Thatís 2 weeks off. Surely not.

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 16:51
He was at Carrington today!!

thekeg (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 18:12
I think heíll definitely get game time in the challenge cup to reintegrate him with the senior squad then get plenty of rest during the 3 weeks of premiership cup

StalyShark (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 19:06
Needs a few weeks complete rest otherwise, the way he plays/played heíll burn out. Go on holiday Faf!

hilly07 (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 19:51
Straight into the 23 re bond with the team. Start at home next week then have the premium cup games off.

Elly_Font (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 07:26
Subbed in the SA game because of cramp know its not big but might be worth him having a few weeks off surely

thekeg (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 10:23
I agree he needs a break but seems like the premiership cup is the least important competition

hilly07 (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 16:42
Looks like I'm on the same wavelength as Dimes on this one!!
[www.facebook.com]

05 November, 2018 11:26
Alex Shaw now saying on Twitter that Faf has been called into SA squad???

StalyShark (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 11:57
Quote:
Newcastle under Lyme RUFC Shark
Alex Shaw now saying on Twitter that Faf has been called into SA squad???

Probably more beneficial to us keeping him than playing a Prem Cup game. As long as he doesn't get injured...

hilly07 (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 12:59
But SA have 3 weeks left of internationals and we only have 1 Cup game left!

yukon (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 13:10
This is an absolute **** take

Olyy (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 13:51
Not ideal, really.

He needs a rest, with the world cup this year that'll be three off seasons he'll have missed.

That said, international rugby is the pinnacle of the sport - if he wants to play, and they want to play him, I'm happy for him.

Don't think there's any use in being annoyed, it was always a bonus that he might be ours during the AIs never nailed on/to be expected.

ale shark (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 13:55
His lack of appearance on the marketing stuff for the Saints game suggests to me he won't be there. Let him play for SA, he's a world player of the year nominee and our season is all but over anyway. Itís better that millions get to enjoy him rather than just 4,500.

yukon (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 14:14
Quote:
ale shark
Itís better that millions get to enjoy him rather than just 4,500.

On that basis he should sign for Northampton or Leicester because they have more fans than us!

Not great logic that

WithingtonShark (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 14:51
Quote:
ale shark
our season is all but over anyway.

Five points off 6th with 14 games to play. Top of the European group.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 14:51
I think if we are to have even a tiny chance of re-signing him, then we need to allow him to play for his country when selected. If we lose him its got nothing to do with fairness, just his contractual right during the international windows.

Its up to Sale to make the most of his international fame, and to ensure they are happy with anyone who is required to take his place.

ale shark (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 14:56
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
ale shark
Itís better that millions get to enjoy him rather than just 4,500.

On that basis he should sign for Northampton or Leicester because they have more fans than us!

Not great logic that

Well if someone else wants to pay his wages, for him to not play for them as well, then they're more than welcome to chip in!

In all seriousness he should be playing on the international stage and I look forward to welcoming him back when the internationals are finally over and him helping get our season back on track.

Edit: Smileys don't show up on my phone (do they on anyones?) so I've all but given up using them on here. Whitington - no, our season isn't over, far from it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2018 15:18 by ale shark.

thekeg (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 17:24
Quote:
WithingtonShark
Quote:
ale shark
our season is all but over anyway.

Five points off 6th with 14 games to play. Top of the European group.

Thatís even more negative than martwhit smiling smiley

romanfaithfull (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 17:55
Quote:
ale shark
our season is all but over anyway. Itís better that millions get to enjoy him rather than just 4,500.

Surely it's a bit early for that sort of statement eh? Really looking forward to the next prem games, I think JOC is going to be quite special as the season goes on.

Anyone think RDP will get any game time next match?

Crutch (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 18:17
Probably depends on how many other first teamers are likely to be included but it makes sense to me to get him on the pitch ASAP if heís going to be first choice 10 for the next 3 months.

If Faf is away for the next 3 weeks then I suppose we can at least look forward to having the advantage during the 6 nations when heíll be available...

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 18:20
Clearly it is a blow if we are going to be missing Faf but we have to expect that to happen if we sign or develop international class players.

We now have a number of international (or on-the-fringe international) players on the books and their potential regular absence only exacerbates the problem of having such a small squad.

And we certainly need a better back-up SH than Will Cliff if he is expected to play a third of the matches at least. Someone made the point on another thread that he is fine to come on for the last 15 if we are just looking to close out a game - he is usually reasonably steady. But what is the point of having a star-studded backline if the SH doesnt inject any sense of pace and urgency to get it moving?

thekeg (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 20:14
For me the biggest issue this raises is our failure to find any adequate cover for Faf. If your first choice is going to be away for nearly half the season then you need much better support players

clutch (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 22:25
Chris the person who said that sounds like a genius.

Yareet (IP Logged)
06 November, 2018 13:48
Quote:
thekeg
For me the biggest issue this raises is our failure to find any adequate cover for Faf. If your first choice is going to be away for nearly half the season then you need much better support players

And we may have got much better support players had we known our first choice was going to be away for nearly half the season (well 8/22 rounds - so less than a third of the GP season)

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
06 November, 2018 14:41
8/22 is just over a third.

Just sayin'

The thrust of the point is valid though.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

thekeg (IP Logged)
06 November, 2018 15:59
Fair poont, closer to a third of the games.... I think we could see he was going to be away after the England games, so weíve had a fair bit of notice. Accept itís not always easy to find the right person but cliff plusteo kids is clearly inadequate

Yareet (IP Logged)
06 November, 2018 19:30
Quote:
PoyntonShark
8/22 is just over a third.

Just sayin'

The thrust of the point is valid though.

Yeah maths ainít my strong point.

NorthernMaori (IP Logged)
13 November, 2018 16:05
Just read on the ESPN website that Faf has been released back to SS for this weekend's game vs Saracens.

[www.espn.co.uk]

Great for the Club if true and may be part of the deal that SD struck with the SARFU.

ale shark (IP Logged)
13 November, 2018 17:08
More bothered about him playing in the Saints game.

ale shark (IP Logged)
19 November, 2018 19:26
[www.theguardian.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/11/2018 19:27 by ale shark.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
19 November, 2018 21:36
Excellent news!

jamestaylorreturns (IP Logged)
20 November, 2018 09:21
he looked slightly knackered IMO

Olyy (IP Logged)
21 November, 2018 06:30
Talk out of S.A. is he'll be on the bench for them in Cardiff this weekend

StalyShark (IP Logged)
21 November, 2018 09:52
Quote:
Olyy
Talk out of S.A. is he'll be on the bench for them in Cardiff this weekend

Training with Sale all week...

Olyy (IP Logged)
21 November, 2018 10:20
Only repeating what I heard!

I expect him to be playing for Sale this weekend but some SA media are saying otherwise.

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
21 November, 2018 10:39
Quote:
Olyy
... some SA media are saying otherwise.

An attempt to force Erasmus's hand perhaps?

clutch (IP Logged)
21 November, 2018 11:17
Could be the difference between winning and losing. Huge in the context of the season.

Crutch (IP Logged)
21 November, 2018 19:10
Erasmus has already said Fafís not playing?

Olyy (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 06:48
Aye the press have now changed their tune and are saying etzebeth coming into the side is the only change from last week, thankfully

clutch (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 06:53
Into our side?! Hereís hoping.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net