rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Outside backs combinations
Crutch (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 07:34
What are everyone's thoughts about the best outside backs lineup given Yarde's unfortunate injury and Sam J now seemingly an option at 15?

Such a shame for Yardey as even with everyone available he was a definite starter for me based on form. I was impressed with Sam at 15, he's comfortable under the high ball and used his boot well.

I'd expected Ashton to come in at 15, but with Yarde out for some time I think we may see him on the wing, only thing is would either him or Denny play left wing, think they've always lined up in the right?

I prefer JoC in the centres as although he's excellent joining the line end of last season, I thought he looked a little vulnerable on kicks. A combination with Van cannonball could be devastating.

Therefore I can see Sam getting more time at 15, although possibly too much faith put in one performance.

Re: Outside backs combinations
MikeGC (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 08:04
Surely, if Sam was and continues to be good at full back then Ashton slips into Marland's shirt

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 08:09
Quote:
MikeGC
Surely, if Sam was and continues to be good at full back then Ashton slips into Marland's shirt

Or Sam puts on the 10 shirt....Horse and Denny wings, Ashton 15. JOC and Van Rensberg play centres.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 08:13
Quote:
Surbiton Shark
Quote:
MikeGC

Or Sam puts on the 10 shirt....Horse and Denny wings, Ashton 15. JOC and Van Rensberg play centres.

Who kicks for goal then? Cliff again with no back up

StalyShark (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 08:20
If JOC has his ankle fully fixed he may offer another option of the tee; doubt heíd turn it down if possible given his Wallabies dream.

Ashton I can see rotating between 14 and 15 more now with Yarde gone for the season (letís hope for only that amount of time or less).

Faf
AJ
McGuigan
RJVR
JOC/S James
Solomona
Ashton/JOC/S James

Now if we add those forwards then now weíre talking.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 08:25
And Luke James has been pretty impressive as well

Jar of Tea (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 09:30
Quote:
ashtonshark
And Luke James has been pretty impressive as well

Agree.

Sam has looked better at 10 and 15 than 13 so far this season (where AJ and McGuigan have struggled).

Maybe with everyone fit the team might be:

9. Faf
10.MacGinty
11. Ashton
12. RVJR
13. JOC
14. Solomona
15. S.James

21. Warr
22. LJames
23. McGuigan

But McGuigan could easily push Sam James to the bench and Ashton to 15. Or AJ to the bench, Sam to 10 and Ash to 15.

Where, tactically, it would be good to have JOC's threat at 10 I'd put Luke at 13 before Sam at the moment.

clutch (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 09:47
Faf can kick if we drop AJ. But I donít think we should do that. They worked well together last year.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 09:58
Oh yeah. Forgot Faf's kicking

clutch (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 10:24
Itís pretty good. AJ needs Faf to create space. AJ has great footwork and thatís comfortably his best attacking attribute. Heís much better but can still struggle in the structure especially when he doesnít have the time that Faf gives him and Cliff steals from him.
The other major issue is having alternative 10 channel receivers. At our best AJ was quite often not at first receiver. We had a forward or James / Haley. Both better in terms of the structure. James has been out of form and McGuigan pops up and fires 2 yard forward passes. Huge having James and O Connor. That was my primary concern with Ashton at 15. Unfortunately due to Yardes horrid injury it may work out better in terms of the balance of the side.

shaftesbury shark (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 10:29
And Jennings!

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 10:47
Sam James could be a very good 15, but he had a couple of wobbles under the high ball. Iíd hope time in the shirt will give him the confidence to dominate the space though and he will improve. I like that he offers that playmaking influence from the back in a similar vein to Goode, Le Roux etc etc.

I donít think Ashton will be as effective from 15, or necessarily good enough in D there, as he was in Toulon. Teams didnít target him as much as they should have, whereas Iíd expect prem teams to really pressurise him. So say James becomes first choice there with JOC as back up, Ashy, Yarde, Byron and Denny sharing the wing spots, that could work.

clutch (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 11:28
And Jennings what?

Crutch (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 12:04
He's a useful back up but not close to RJVR as a first choice starter.

clutch (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 12:05
I thought he meant as a kicker?!!

MartWhit (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 12:06
I still think Sam J is best at 13, and would show that when the best players are around him. McGuigan hasnt given him the options that Haley did and that Ashton or JOC will.

I also believe both JOC & Ashton are, at the end of the day, marginally better back 3 players than Sam, mainly due to having the top end gas and open field running ability and years of positional experience of it.

SO, in the absence of Yarde I'd go with a back 3 of Denny, Ashton & JOC, with Mcguigan benching, ashton probably left wing, since he'll actually play a position commonly known as 'I go wherever the fck I want to because I am a ball magnet'.

Having said that, If JOC and/or Faf bring their kicking boots, I can see Dimes favouring James at 10 and leaving AJ in the cold. That probably puts JOC at 13 at times when he doesnt want a physical RJvR/Jennings or L James pairing. Wouldnt be my choice but I can see dimes plumping for it.

thekeg (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 12:17
I donít think Sam James having k e solid game covering 15 is a reason to suddenly switch him there when we have other proven options in that position. Given yarde us our fir a while I think the following is our best option with people in proven long term positions

Faf
AJ
Ashton
RJVR
S James
Solomona
OíConnor

Bench

Cliff
L James or Jennings
Mcguigan

Itís good that a lot of those players have flexibility so we can tweak if needed

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 12:27
As I indicated when he first signed for Sharks, Sam has great hands and vision and is primarily a distributor and facilitator for others around him. He's the sort of player who creates opportunities for others as much as himself and as such he can play like that at 10, 13 or 15.
I was delighted how many times he came into the line and did just that from 15 on Saturday.
When he plays with confidence so does the whole backline and we therefore recycle and retain the ball.
The future is indeed looking promising.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net