rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Team for Perpignan
StalyShark (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 08:25
I don’t see us taking our best team to Perpignan this Friday and so I think we can expect some of those who have played all the games so far getting some rest. Perpignan have lost all of their games in the Top 14 this year so they’ll either do the same as we may do, prioritise the league and send out squad players, or really go for us and build momentum. We haven’t mentioned the Challenge Cup at all in any of our PR stuff as the league is priority, so I’d like to see us line up like this:

Tarus
Nield/Langdon
Jones
Ostrikov
Phillips
Nott
B Curry
Beaumont
Cliff
Wilkinson
Odogwu
RJVR (50-60 mins)
L James
Reed
JOC (50-60)

Harrison
Langdon/Nield
John
Postlethwaite (if fit. Evans if not)
Dugdale
Warr (35 mins)
S James
Jennings

Not likely to win if they put out a decent side but bloods a few and rests where we can. Ashton coming back for the Connacht game will add a lot. Another option would be JOC at 10.

Re: Team for Perpignan
Tenorshark (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 08:49
Listening to Dimes post match interview again I think the plan is to ret after europe, as this season we've 3 consecutive weeks of the 'Premiership Cup'. I think in previous years the reason we've thrown europe is due to the 1 premiership game sandwiched between the 2 european weekends and the lv cup, meaning we needed the first team for that game. This year I can see us playing s very strong team against Perpignan and Connaught and then giving a lot of players a couple of weeks off during the development cup.

clutch (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 09:28
Maybe so. I think we will rest a few though. Dimes mentioned Ross and Evens. We need to test our reserve props out. Maybe play 1 with the first choice prop on the other side. Harrison and Jones to start then Tarus and John. That could give them a bit more confidence. With Ost locked in behind them.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 09:38
Quote:
clutch
Maybe so. I think we will rest a few though. Dimes mentioned Ross and Evens. We need to test our reserve props out. Maybe play 1 with the first choice prop on the other side. Harrison and Jones to start then Tarus and John. That could give them a bit more confidence. With Ost locked in behind them.

I think you’re right about the props. Jones gets more game time so maybe him first to start alongside Harrison (he is such an unsung hero for us, a workhorse. He must be pining for the day we have another top loosehead to give him a rest!)

AJ doesn’t seem right so he should have time off. James, JOC or Wilkinson is the question. I’d go Wilkinson with RJVR at 12 for easy option (similar to Leota at FC atm) and JOC outside maybe playing first receiver too, then James to come on at around 60 at 10.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 09:50
It seems as though the game is on bein sports so if you use a vpn and pay $8 for a day pass we should be able to see what happens.

clutch (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 10:29
Wilkinson should start half the games

2007dwain (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 11:21
I would hope stick with kinda same team gettin van and JOC game fit. Maybe give time to nott and Moore.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 11:23
Moore is still injured it seems otherwise he’d be at 8 and Beaumont on 4 for me.

clutch (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 11:53
Just can’t stay fit Moore. Not been seen for jets. We should get that other lad who scored those comedic tries for the jets.
Might see a bit of Dugdale as well.

thekeg (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 11:56
I think we will see a bit of tweaking in the Euro cup, but strong teams with a genuine attempt to compete and get out of the group. We need to try and find our groove in these games and work out our best combinations. iWe can then completely rest key players in the domestic cup.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 12:26
Dimes' programme notes mention the use of players from Jets and Sale FC to pull on the white shirt for the next two euro games

StalyShark (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 13:03
Quote:
M5 Shark
Dimes' programme notes mention the use of players from Jets and Sale FC to pull on the white shirt for the next two euro games

Hope there are no actual FC players playing and he means those on dual registration. E.g. Langdon, Dolly, Postlethwaite, Moore (if fit), Sturgess, Odogwu, Leota, Reed etc.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 13:09
I hope we go full strength for our first fixture in Europe. Win that game and then the following home game then at least 2 teams have a loss on their record and will themselves consider bringing weaker sides for the reverse fixture. At that point we can possibly rotate and still win. Plus, heavy rotation here will directly impact Sale FC, who are just starting to find a nice groove in NL1.

Theres enough fresh players in the backs to rotate anyhow without losing quality. Ashton is back is he not? Up front there simply arent the same options, but the most I'd like to see is some bench players starting (e.g. Beaumont for strauss, Ostrikov for Phillps).

Lets at least see off perpignan and assess how Bordeaux are taking the tournament beofre we settle for something less than our best. Surely the club see value in reaching a knockout game in this tournament. Its money and broader exposure they badly need.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 13:55
If you read one of the recent interviews, not sure which one, there was a hint dropped that Nott might be seen at 8 at some stage. I’d guess maybe more likely the Prem Cup then Europe?

StalyShark (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 16:36
Dimes has said Faf will play in the first two Euro games.

Crutch (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 16:58
And if Faf is playing you'd think we'd be playing a pretty strong team, otherwise you might as well be giving Faf the rest.

Crutch (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 17:16
So who's played all or almost all of the games so far and could be in need of a rest:

Harrison
Webber
John
Evans
Ross
Cliff
AJ
James x2
Byron

Harrison and Ross are machines - I expect they'll start both Euros then get the full 3 weeks off.

Webber and John have had more time off from subs. I expect Webber to start at least one - both if Cam is not fit. Langdon and Cam in the Prem cup. Prob the same for WGJ with Jones and Taurus to play cup so he can have a full break.

Evans probably could do with a break. I'd start Beumont in at least one of the Euro games.

Faf obviously comes in for Cliff for Euro and then Gus to play in the cup.

Van Cannonball and O'Connor to start both Euros to get some game time. Luke James to get a definite rest.

AJ will play Euros and then hopefully Wilkinson in the cup.

Big question mark is over Sam James and whether he can get a rest or whether he'll be at 13 or 15. Would prefer to keep Byron on the wing so I'd go Sam 15, Byron 11 (assuming Denny fit at 14), then Ashton at 11 for the 2nd game and rest Byron

LJK (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 20:17
Glad to read that Dimes says Faf will play. You have to start with the best team to hopefully get an initial win, or it is immediately uphill for the remaining games.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 20:25
Faf’s inclusion throws out my initial prediction of a rotated team; looks like we’re serious in seeing how our campaign goes.

Take Two:

Harrison
Webber
John
Evans
Ostrikov
Ross
B Curry
Beaumont
Faf (!!!)
AJ
McGuigan
RJVR
JOC
Odogwu
S James

Nield/Langdon
Bristow
Tarus
Phillips
T Curry (if fit)/Strauss
Cliff
Jennings
L James

Crutch (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 21:15
Any news on Denny?

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 21:18
We perenially pick a strong squad in whichever European competition we are in for the first couple of matches at the very least.
We then base what we do next on those first couple of results and what state our squad is in.
A simple sensible approach that doesn't demean travelling support.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2018 21:19 by H's Dad....

clutch (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 21:50
All this is well and good but the last 2 seasons we’ve been burnt out towards the end. I agree in principle in picking best team in Europe but other teams have done what we can’t and rested the Itoje/Armonds of the world. Ours have played every game and often 80 mins.

Crutch (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 22:10
Not true, as per my post above, only about 7 of what we'd expect to pick from a strongest lineup have actually played pretty much every game.

clutch (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 05:55
Exactly. Half our team. So more than the Itoje/Armonds i.e key players.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 08:04
8 Have started every game

McGuigan, S James, Yarde, Cliff, Harrison, John, Evans, Ross

Webber started 4 played 20 & 30 mins in other 2
Phillips started 5 played 35 mins in other
Solomona started 5
McGinty started 5
Jennings started 4 played 25 in one, offy doesn't show when he came on against Newcastle
T. Curry started 5

Beaumont has been involved in every game but only started 2.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Crutch (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 09:07
Of those 8, Yarde obviously is out and Cliff won't be starting.

My point was, you'd think that we'd played pretty much our strongest team in all 6 games, but due to absences for various reasons, it's only about 6 of our potentially strongest team that have, and therefore not so much of a risk to play them in the Euro games before a rest in the Prem cup.

Elly_Font (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 09:11
Surely how we're doing at the moment in the prem, we must be looking to atleast try and get in the champion next season the only way at the moment which we have the most chance would be pushing through the challenger. So hoping we but out teams to win the games

clutch (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 09:29
Still think our best chance is finishing 6th, despite our poor start.

WithingtonShark (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 10:00
Quote:
Elly_Font
Surely how we're doing at the moment in the prem, we must be looking to atleast try and get in the champion next season the only way at the moment which we have the most chance would be pushing through the challenger. So hoping we but out teams to win the games

We are 5 points behind 6th with 16 games to play...

buelligansmate (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 12:58
Quote:
WithingtonShark
Quote:
Elly_Font

Oi Withington - get your own dose of realism/optimism

Re: Bottom of the table

Posted by: buelligansmate (IP Logged)

Date: 23 September, 2018 17:33

5 points off 6th with 18 games to go........come on Sale!

Welcome to my world. There are 2 or 3 posters with similar thoughts and I'll wager a lot more lurking!
There won't be many sides that will have 4 proven quality backs joining them in late September/October!

WithingtonShark (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 14:00
Quote:
buelligansmate
Quote:
WithingtonShark
Quote:
Elly_Font

Welcome to my world. There are 2 or 3 posters with similar thoughts and I'll wager a lot more lurking!
There won't be many sides that will have 4 proven quality backs joining them in late September/October!

Haha I'm sorry for challenging your position as the only positive poster on this forum! grinning smiley

buelligansmate (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 14:26
Quote:
WithingtonShark
Quote:
buelligansmate
Quote:
WithingtonShark
Quote:
Elly_Font

Haha I'm sorry for challenging your position as the only positive poster on this forum! grinning smiley

Apology accepted😊

Maybe I'll start a positivity thread!

StalyShark (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 14:57
Looking at the photos from today training we may not see the following (as they are in the bibs for non match day squad members): Evans, Ostrikov, Tarus and Luke James.
However we may see Bristow and Wilkinson. We’ll see. No sign of AJ...

StalyShark (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 19:36
Bein sports have said it’s not being televised by them so no idea where European Challenge Cup website has plucked that from.

Rani of the Road (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 19:51
Quote:
StalyShark
Bein sports have said it’s not being televised by them so no idea where European Challenge Cup website has plucked that from.

It's on Bein France, not the UK version, had a look earlier

StalyShark (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 20:08
Quote:
Rani of the Road
Quote:
StalyShark

It's on Bein France, not the UK version, had a look earlier

Accessible online via vpn?

StalyShark (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 05:43
Wilkinson has put him arriving at Carrington at 7am on his instagram. Looks like he's in the squad.

hilly07 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 10:40
Starting XV 15.Sam James; 14.Byron McGuigan, 13.James O’Connor, 12.Rohan Janse Van Rensburg, 11.Paolo Odogwu; 10.Kieran Wilkinson, 9.Faf De Klerk; 1.Ross Harrison, 2.Rob Webber, 3.WillGriff John, 4.Josh Beaumont, 5.James Phillips, 6.Jono Ross (capt), 7.Ben Curry, 8.Josh Strauss.

Replacements 16.Curtis Langdon, 17.Tom Bristow, 18. Joe Jones, 19.George Nott, 20.Tom Curry, 21.Will Cliff, 22.Connor Doherty, 23.Luke James

11 October, 2018 10:41
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DpOO6kAWwAELehp.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

Olyy (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 10:51
Far more rotation than I was expecting!

Looking forward to seeing how Wilkinson goes, surrounded by tier 1 internationals so not a bad way to make a top level debut(? Think this is his first top level start)

StalyShark (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 11:25
Quote:
Olyy
Far more rotation than I was expecting!
Looking forward to seeing how Wilkinson goes, surrounded by tier 1 internationals so not a bad way to make a top level debut(? Think this is his first top level start)

To have Faf, RJVR, JOC and Sam James helping him out is absolutely ideal. I think he’s going to look very good indeed. AJ mustn’t be fully fit; possibly showed in his kicking last week.
Hoping my €15 isn’t wasted and I can see the boys get a good win.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 11:33
Perpignan: Farnoux; Bousquet, Lucas, Marty, Sau; Selponi, Degmache; Mamea, Brazo (capt), Reynaud, Vivalda, Van Heerden, Charlet, Leiataua, Boutemmani.

Replacements: Deligny, Tougne, Muller, Roussel, Iachizzi, Mele, Seguy, Taumoepeau.

No expert but that doesn’t look like their team I saw on sky a couple of times earlier in the year.

Crutch (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 11:34
Very interesting.

I would guess that AJ is carrying an injury - the surprise being that Wilko goes to 10 and Sam J stays at 15. Also interesting that Sam stays there and O'Connor plays 13 again.

Looks like it could be a long term move and I like it.

Thought Bryn might sit this one out, go for a little extra grunt away in France. However no Ost on bench means Nott will need to come on for Phillips?

Tom Curry injured last game so more surprised to see him on bench rather than the fact Ben starts.

Overall I really like the selection. Massive show of faith in Wilkinson and excited to see how he can do with Faf, RJVR and JoC around him!

BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 12:41
I think Tom Curry was suffering from bad cramp on Saturday rather than an injury. He had put in a huge shift but of course we were short on replacements at that time and had to drop Langdon into his place, rather than Webber. Beaumont and Ostrikov were already on, so Tom stayed on as long as possible, which just makes cramp worse.

clutch (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 12:43
AJ hasn't been firing so lets see how he goes on. Not the fairest comparison, as Wilkinson will have quality alongside him, where has AJ has been struggling somewhat in that regarded, with the greatest respect to our 2nd string.

Timperley Shark (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 13:14
Well, the bookies think its a pretty strong team. Or at least much stronger than Perpignan,
We are 1/5 favourites.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 13:14
Cam Nield injured or just down to 3rd choice?

Whilst I'd like to go full bore to win this one, I quite like the selection. Some very moderate rotation, with a good spine to the side. Wilkinson will enjoy taking his bow with the 2 saffers around him. Slightly concerned about the balance of 2nd row.

clutch (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 13:33
I really like the team. Nield must be injured. Would be amazed if he’s been relegated. He played well against Wasps and that was the last we’ve seen.

Crutch (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 14:21
Quote:
BasilBullneck
I think Tom Curry was suffering from bad cramp on Saturday rather than an injury. He had put in a huge shift but of course we were short on replacements at that time and had to drop Langdon into his place, rather than Webber. Beaumont and Ostrikov were already on, so Tom stayed on as long as possible, which just makes cramp worse.

Ok - it clearly wasn't serious as he walked back onto the pitch at the end, but still thought he might sit this one out.

Also a little concerned about the 2nd row balance. Especially as either Phillips needs to play the 80 (not good) or we end with Beaumont and Nott.

Jar of Tea (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 15:21
Personally would prefer to see Harrison, T.Curry, Ross and Faf rested.

Really like the selection 10-15 though and glad to see Bristow going straight in.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 16:26
So we are certainly taking this competition seriously then....

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 18:22
Crutch - don’t see it as a surprise about 10/15 at all. He’s been identified for some time now as a golden 10 in waiting and his progression is key to easing the burden on AJ. Sam played well at 15 and given the evidence that Byron is excellent in the wing but less effective at 15, maintaining Sam’s place there seems sensible. Isn’t it possible he could spend a fair bit of time there this season, either interchanging with Ashton or if the latter plays on the wing abut more than we anticipated might be the case?

There’s also the JOC angle, but again he looked lively in the centres when he came on. His more maverick game might be a good foil for Rohan, and a better combination with them there and Sam at 15 than Sam and he swapped. Sam has plenty of creativity and vision and could he be a bit more balanced as a 15 than JOC?

Final comment - as alluded to earlier, great chance for KW to learn with experienced players around him. Strauss, Faf, Rohan and JOC in the 8-13 axis is perfect.

LJK (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 18:26
Just clocked that Perpignan haven't won any of their 7 games in Top 14, are bottom of the table and with a worse points difference than Sale. With the team we have picked I now think the odds of 5/1 stated above by Timperley, are more realistic than I first thought.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 19:53
Quote:
LJK
Just clocked that Perpignan haven't won any of their 7 games in Top 14, are bottom of the table and with a worse points difference than Sale. With the team we have picked I now think the odds of 5/1 stated above by Timperley, are more realistic than I first thought.

Especially when the team they have put out would probably be called the “mixed veg” or the “@#$%&” by the Rugby Pod guys.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 20:22
Quote:
LJK

Whats weirder is that in the champions cup the teams ranked 12th in the English and french leagues will be playing each other this weekend after both finishing in the top4 last season

FarnhamShark (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 20:44
I'm not too surprised, given how well Curtis Langdon has been playing, every chance he's had, and we ought to be thinking about life after Webber. I'm disappointed Gus Warr isn't on the bench - he and Kieran Wilkinson could easily be a great pair of half-backs for the next decade.

clutch (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 20:55
Maybe. Warr isn’t anything like as well talked up as several other youngsters.

Crutch (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 20:57
Pappje - it's a surprise only because Wilkinson hasn't featured at all so far (even on the bench) and when AJ has not been available previously we've reverted to Sam J there.

As I stated above, I'm excited about the selection, and I'm personally happy to see Sam J continuing at 15 with O'Connor in the centres as I think it potentially suits them both better long term.

My only worry was how used Sam would be to the positioning at 15 but I thought he looked composed as ever against Newcastle, and I agree with the Shark Tank guys that from full back he has more room to get up to speed when joining the line than he gets at 13.

Crutch (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 21:05
Haven't the club's actions spoken louder than words with Warr?

No short term replacement brought in whilst Faf away

Promoted onto the bench ahead of Sturgess

Club record Youngest player to appear for the first team.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 01:40
Yep. Warr seems well enough rated. The club's (Dimes') usual caution with youngsters has seen Cliff play too many minutes in some games, but Warr is starting to get his opportunities, and making a decent fist of them for my money.

Wilkinson not replacing AJ probably had a couple of reasons, primarily surely the absence of Faf was key. Also, is it likely that he traveled for the game?

I've always thought that 15's were born not made, the good ones have that innate sense of position that can't be taught and lack of it is usually exposed very quickly. We haven't seen enough of Sam there to determine yet, but the early signs are promising

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Timperley Shark (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 07:20
Well, bookies even more convinced we are going to win. Now 1/7.

Crutch (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 08:27
Jeez, it's still an away game in Europe!

Olyy (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 08:41
Bet365 has us with a 15pt head start

Wish I shared their confidence, but I've seen us implode in away games too many times to be anything but cautiously optimistic about our chances

camshark (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 11:20
The locals here in Perpignan are not feeling too positive

StalyShark (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 18:21
JOC pulled out at the ast minute. Don’t know why. Luke James at 13, Reed onto the bench.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 18:31
7-0 Byron in the corner with Faf converting.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 18:40
7-7. Strauss and S James missed tackles.

Olyy (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 18:45
Absolutely terrible call for the red card

StalyShark (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 18:46
Carte rouge for Perpignan hooker. Elbow with force to webber’s throat, harsh I’d say. Webber goes over from lineout driving maul. Faf misses. 7-12.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 18:47
7-12 Rob webber try after his opposite number is red carded for leading with the elbow to his neck.

davsharkMKII (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 18:47
Wish I understood French...commentary seemed rather surprised, all I picked up was "Ahhh...Rouge?!"

StalyShark (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 18:57
Jono no arms in clear out. Pen 10-12

StalyShark (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 19:05
Not rolling away at ruck. Penalty to Perpignan. 13-12. Then straight from restart a knock on leads to a RJVR try converted by Faf. 13-19.

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 19:09
Anyone got a working link?

StalyShark (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 19:09
Scrum penalty to Perpignan. HT: 16-19.

Very scrappy so far, not helped by the stadium’s sprinklers coming on!

StalyShark (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 19:10
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark
Anyone got a working link?

I paid the 15 euros and the magic of the internet did the rest.

camshark (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 19:17
Oooh the locals are not happy with red card, watch out for old fashioned fisty cuffs second half !

davsharkMKII (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 19:39
Both James brothers making too many simple errors imo...

Olyy (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 19:40
These officials are being incredibly lenient towards us!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2018 19:40 by Olyy.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 19:43
our poor passing when we have an overlap is going to cost us this game.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 19:45
Missed the penalty to take it to 19-19. Jono turnover and a Faf kick taken by Luke James led to a try. Faf misses. 19-24. Bonus point from 4th try.

davsharkMKII (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 20:12
Must say, Wilkinson has been more than useful, some great touches and passes.

C3Q (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 20:14
19-41 according to twitter feed.

clutch (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 20:15
Good. Sounds scrappy but a 5 point win. Onwards and upwards.

C3Q (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 20:19
FT 24-41

Excellent start.

davsharkMKII (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 20:20
24-41 FT

Last min try for hosts. Sale made plenty of errors, few too many kickable pens for them 1st half. 2nd half the time spent with 14vs15 told and they were down to 13 for 10 mins as well. Some good performances but still plenty to work on

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 20:20
Quote:
clutch
Good. Sounds scrappy but a 5 point win. Onwards and upwards.

Home game against them in final round might prove useful.

12 October, 2018 20:21
Final Score 24 - 41.

hat-trick McGuigan

Dis mus be da place

Olyy (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 20:22
Very scrappy performance but you can't argue with 5pts on the road, regardless.

Thought the officials were pretty harsh towards Perpignan, and lenient towards us, but c'est la vie.

Wilkinson looked decent, and Rohan continues his good form.
Disappointing to see JOC not make it to the pitch - any word on why?

Wasn't overly impressed with James at 15, but then he really came into the game towards the end - seemed to be more in the line, did he go to 13 and Doherty to 15?

Think we should have subbed Ross when we subbed Faf - not because he was playing bad or anything, but that was another 77min outing in a game we put to bed at 65ish.

Byron is most definitely a winger! Great to see him bagging a few tries.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2018 20:24 by Olyy.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 20:33
Not sure why Harrison was on for 74 again when we were 15 points up. No Bristow too, another late change with Tarus on the bench instead.

Wilkinson reminds me of Cipriani: looping passes out wide, getting smashed but getting off late passes. Good introduction for him. Cliff took over kicking once Faf went off.
Jono looked a little too fired up for this one with a few no arms clear outs similar to what Tarus got his red for against Castres.
Lineout didn’t miss Bryn too much, only one steal afaik. Would have liked to have seen more of Langdon as he only had around 10 mins.
Scrappy but lively due to Faf again. He showed great thinking with two of his kicks from hand that led to tries, the second in particular when he may well have been about to knock on but hacked through. His brain just works faster than us mere mortals.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 20:33
Best way to start. Maybe we rode some fortune with the red card, but 5-0 in points terms sets us up perfectly.

Good to see the younger players assimilating. Thought we might have gone to the bench a little earlier vs 14 men.

Crutch (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 20:34
Twitter feed said JOC rested. Possibly we changed after seeing the strength of the French team?

Could be a niggle after first game back, quite common after a long injury.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2018 20:36 by Crutch.

clutch (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 20:48
Everyone talking up Wilkinson and we scored 5 points. That’s all I wanted from the game. Hopefullly we can give the younger lads a longer run out next week but if not we have the Anglo not welsh anymore trophy.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
13 October, 2018 01:57
Where was Paddy Jackson I wonder?

StalyShark (IP Logged)
13 October, 2018 06:17
Quote:
Chris1850
Where was Paddy Jackson I wonder?

In the crowd in club blazer.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
13 October, 2018 09:48
Shame we missed seeing who we could have had

13 October, 2018 11:44
Highlights:-

[twitter.com]

Dis mus be da place

clutch (IP Logged)
13 October, 2018 13:02
What’s the red for? Forearm from ball carrier? Some lovely touches from Wilkinson.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
13 October, 2018 13:18
wilkinson was pleasingly willing to release the ball simply and early, and his long pass for one of McGuigans tries was excellent. He wasnt overthinking or overcomplicating. Better teams will try to get to him, but he's got good skills.

Olyy (IP Logged)
13 October, 2018 13:32
Quote:
clutch
What’s the red for? Forearm from ball carrier?

Yup,
Didn't look like it was with intent/malicious to me, it wasn't like he took a running smash into someone, it was all in the midst of a bunch of players, he just threw his arm out.
If that was a red then J.Ross should have had two yellows for his ruck entries (one was a shoulder charge, another he led with the head).

I'm presuming the laws state that any forearm to the neck/head is a straight red but this is another case where I think referees should be allowed to use their discretion in card colour - that was a yellow for me, much like you get some high tackles that, by the letter of the law, are reds but realistically shouldn't be more than a yellow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/10/2018 13:33 by Olyy.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net