rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

MacGinty shoulder op.
15 October, 2018 08:30
out for 12 weeks - injury sustained playing for USA in the summer.

[www.salesharks.com]

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/10/2018 08:31 by Mrs Trellis of North Wales.

Re: MacGinty shoulder op.
ale shark (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 08:32
12 weeks. FFS, just when the others were returning as well.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 08:43
Mid January then. Big question is if we’ll go to Sam James or can Wilkinson do enough in these next few weeks to grab the jersey. Huge next few games for Wilkinson.

Also hope the JOC last minute change wasn’t anything serious.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 09:03
Big blow. Real shame for him and the club.

Which makes Wilkinsons positive performance at the weekend more important. None of the other optins is as good or rounded as a fit MacGinty IMO, but the way Wilkinson settled and just played a relatively simple plan which fed his outside backs early will be Ok I think.

As staly says, this situation will be more alarming if the JOC situation is not as straightforward as currently declared.

clutch (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 09:41
That’s not entirely true. Magintys biggest advantage is his goal kicking but Faf is perfectly decent.

Rich E (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 10:40
Hopefully AJ will only miss 4 premiership games, based on his projected recovery period, albeit crucial ones where goal kicking may be key.

If Faf is away for the autumn internationals it means we'll be a little exposed at half back, unless JOC can step up or Wilkinson takes first team duties like a duck to water...

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 11:09
Opens up a big opportunity for Wilkinson. Play well in the next 3 games and he'll be starting for the prem. Let's hope he grabs it otherwise "that" missed summer signing could be highlighted.

clutch (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 11:27
If he doesn’t we have other options. James will get our ridiculous backline moving better and Faf can kick the goals.

Olyy (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 11:40
Very bad news, hope he makes a quick and full recovery.

What are Fafs kicking stats? I always viewed him as a back up at best rather than first choice kicker, but happy to be proven wrong.

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 11:50
It was quite an odd message I thought on the official website wishing him the best for his recovery - makes it sound as though he's not doing his rehab with Sale - maybe I'm just reading more into it then needs.

We will definitely miss his goal kicking. He's also puts in a real shift in the tackling department and jackling department

Options will be Faff/Cliff kicks.

The Horse has to stay on the wing, if Denny is fit then he takes the other wing with Ashton at 15. If Denny still isn't fit then Ashton to wing - Sam remains 15 and either Wilkinson or JOC to 10.

Does anyone know how Wilkinson is as a kicker though it may be a bit too much to overload him with giving him kicking responsibilities

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 11:53
Quote:
Olyy
Very bad news, hope he makes a quick and full recovery.
What are Fafs kicking stats? I always viewed him as a back up at best rather than first choice kicker, but happy to be proven wrong.
75% which is better than Danny cipriani when he was with us.

15 October, 2018 11:58
Quote:
M5 Shark
Opens up a big opportunity for Wilkinson. Play well in the next 3 games and he'll be starting for the prem. Let's hope he grabs it otherwise "that" missed summer signing could be highlighted.

I’m surprised that after the Jackson signing was pulled we did not go after another 10 as it would appear that AJs injury was most likely known about???

Quade Cooper anyone!

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 12:12
Quote:
Surbiton Shark
It was quite an odd message I thought on the official website wishing him the best for his recovery - makes it sound as though he's not doing his rehab with Sale - maybe I'm just reading more into it then needs.

I thought the message suggested his rehab is being done away from the club, however the injury may require complete rest so he may as well be away from Carrington.

When AJ had his knee injury in January, did the club put out a message saying we would support AJ despite many thinking he was leaving in the summer?

clutch (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 12:25
Surbiton we have to get O Connor and James in the team it fit. One of them will play 15. Mcguigan will be the one to miss out purely on ability as long was we have cover in all the right places.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 13:00
Quote:
clutch
Surbiton we have to get O Connor and James in the team it fit. One of them will play 15. Mcguigan will be the one to miss out purely on ability as long was we have cover in all the right places.

Surely Mcquigan is on the wing?

clutch (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 13:08
Ashton and Denny.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 13:08
The omissions and late withdrawls of AJ from matchday squads due to "illness" now make perfect sense.
Understandable that the club tried to keep such an injury quiet. Tackling would exacurbate it, and his channel would be targeted.
I expect he will go home to family to recuperate.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 13:10
I think Ashton will be played at 15. Last season's stats indicate he can really be devastating playing there and will be much more involved.

jaytom (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 13:15
Not good news at all. Hope everything goes smoothly for him and that Wilkinson can grab his opportunity...

clutch (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 14:33
French league vastly different though. Not saying I mind him being there but with Yarde out we can pick our best players in the right positions. Mcguigan misses out for that reason. Otherwise one of O Connor or James doesn’t play.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 14:56
So what's the roll call of backs

Faf
Cliff
Wilko
O'Connor
S James
L James
Ashton
Jennings
McGuigan
Solomona
Paolo
Van Rensburg

WithingtonShark (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 15:04
Quote:
M5 Shark
Faf
Cliff
Wilko
O'Connor
S James
L James
Ashton
Jennings
McGuigan
Solomona
Paolo
Van Rensburg

Aaron Reed also...

StalyShark (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 15:37
Quote:
WithingtonShark
Quote:
M5 Shark
Faf
Cliff
Wilko
O'Connor
S James
L James
Ashton
Jennings
McGuigan
Solomona
Paolo
Van Rensburg

Aaron Reed also...

Connor Doherty, Gus Warr and Matt Sturgess also...

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 17:38
Faf
Cliff
Wilko
O'Connor
S James
L James
Ashton
Jennings
McGuigan
Solomona
Paolo
Van Rensburg
Reed
Doherty
Warr
Sturgess

So match day backs
Faf
Wilko
Solomona
S James
Van Rensburg
Ashton
O'Connor

Replacements
Cliff/Warr
McGuigan/L James

StalyShark (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 19:07
Unless Wilkinson really shines we’ll probably go:

Faf
S James
McGuigan
RJVR
O’Connor
Solomona
Ashton

Pretty decent.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 19:17
Sayings that. Alex Shaw knows his stuff:

[www.rugbypass.com]

ale shark (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 20:11
Unless we get a load of long term injuries, international call-ups, lengthy bans or immigration issues we’ll probably go:

Faf
S James
McGuigan
RJVR
O’Connor
Solomona
Ashton

Pretty decent.

Jar of Tea (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 13:23
I guess Wilkinson will start again at 10 again against Connacht, and we'll be out to win that one, and will then start both of the domestic cup games (quite possibly playing 80 mins in both).

If he goes as well then as he did against USAP, then why not start him away at Sarries in November - it's hardly a match we can realistically target.

If that goes well then what more can a player his age do to prove that he should be starting when the international window closes.

I suppose if Quade Cooper was available as a medical joker then we couldn't not go for that. Otherwise the following looks pretty exciting to me:

Faf
Wilko
Ashton
Van Rensburg
JOC
Solomona
S James

Warr
L James
McGuigan

StudentShark (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 13:41
Quote:
Jar of Tea
I guess Wilkinson will start again at 10 again against Connacht, and we'll be out to win that one, and will then start both of the domestic cup games (quite possibly playing 80 mins in both).
If he goes as well then as he did against USAP, then why not start him away at Sarries in November - it's hardly a match we can realistically target.

If that goes well then what more can a player his age do to prove that he should be starting when the international window closes.

I suppose if Quade Cooper was available as a medical joker then we couldn't not go for that. Otherwise the following looks pretty exciting to me:

Faf
Wilko
Ashton
Van Rensburg
JOC
Solomona
S James

Warr
L James
McGuigan

I think this is what I'd be going for.
At the start of the season I assumed we'd be rotating Ashton and JoC at 15. But having seen how competently James slotted in there, and being reminded how good the JoC/Van Cannonball centres combination works. I think we'd be daft to try anything else there.

Rotate Ashton/James at fullback
Ashton/Mcguigan on the wing
James/Wilko at 10

Atleast for the rest of this season

madders (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 14:03
I'm not sure if this is now heading off topic, but I think Wilko (as most people now seem to be referring to him as) should probably be Wilky. That's if his twitter handle is anything to go by - wilkyxwilkinson. I'm guessing the x in the middle is for 10.

Crutch (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 14:43
Yeah I'd definitely like him to have a nickname that's not Wilko.

How about DC Junior? smiling smiley

clutch (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 16:10
Or CH mark II

emerging shark (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 16:15
We have already had a Wilky - Richard Wilks...

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
17 October, 2018 11:50
Silky Wilky, for differentiating from the original?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net