rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Faf and Jono
20 October, 2018 18:38
We were having this conversation on the way to the game today whilst negotiating M6, 16-19.

In my opinion these two guys are the key players now and for the seasons ahead. As well as being outstanding players, they are clearly leaders in the dressing room and fast becoming club legends.

If the club want to fulfill their aspirations of regular top four finishes then it is imperative that we secure their futures for the next few (5) years or so.

I think both are in year 2 of 3 year contracts? I would hope the club will be in negotiations to get extensions signed by these two ASAP. It would send a message out to the rugby world that Sale are serious players. And, what a catalyst this would also be in attracting top quality new recruits.

Any thoughts?

Re: Faf and Jono
MartWhit (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 18:52
Agree

My money would be on Ross to extend, but faf to go back to super rugby.

Faf is a home boy at heart by the looks of it, and he’s the darling back home, so he’ll be full of good offers all of which will make it more straightforward to play for the boks.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 18:54
Agree, and agree.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 19:07
Would love to hang on to Faf but I can’t see it happening sadly.

yukon (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 19:13
Quote:
MartWhit
Agree
My money would be on Ross to extend, but faf to go back to super rugby.

Faf is a home boy at heart by the looks of it, and he’s the darling back home, so he’ll be full of good offers all of which will make it more straightforward to play for the boks.

Agreed- plus Jono & his wife live here, Faf’s girlfriend is still in SA and he goes back at every opportunity

Crutch (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 22:23
You may well all be right. Faf will certainly have no shortage of suitors. However, I hope that we'll not be completely out of the running.

He clearly likes living here, wanted to play on his return instead of having the rest he was entitled to. Encouraged Rohan to join the club too, so there's certainly some loyalty there.

I can't see that clubs back home can compete financially, so then it's bigger names with bigger pockets here and in France. I think we certainly need to improve in the table, if we're competing in the top tier of Europe then I think he could stay on.

franknfurter (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 03:02
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Faf back in Super Rugby, but would hate him to sign for another Prem club.

dinogyro (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 17:11
We need to keep Faf. Give his girl a job!

Or maybe he prefers her being in SA?

MartWhit (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 20:23
Well. Fafs been in sa for weeks. Came back to us for a couple. By Sunday he’s already somewhere overseas with his girlfriend. So he’s not exactly that enamoured with the nw of England.

Be honest, this is an arrangement that works for us and him. He gets a lot of autonomy’s and we get a player who elevates us above the rest. He seems an very honest and tough guy, who puts it all on when asked. But dont expect him to hang around beyond his contract. To think that would defy all evidence that he leaves town whenever he isn’t required to play.

45jumper (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 20:55
Faf has gone on holiday because he hasn't had a decent break in approximately 18 months of rugby - Dimes has given a lot of the senior players a couple of weeks off for the Premiership cup. Seems fair enough to me?

MartWhit (IP Logged)
22 October, 2018 07:52
No objections to him taking his leave wherever he likes. I think it just signals his ‘home’ is elsewhere and I expect his contract behaviour to follow suit.

clutch (IP Logged)
22 October, 2018 09:18
Well his family is elsewhere. Doesn’t mean he’s not settled in England. I’m sure he would prefer to see his family rather than a fortnight in Bournemouth in November.

09 December, 2018 13:15
Fissler saying in today’s Rugby Paper that we are opening talks with Faf to get his contract improved and extended. Really pleased if club are being proactive on this. It’s clear that he is key to us going forward and becoming Northern Powerhouse. Not only is he a world class player but also adds immense value as a recruiter and marketing tool for the club.

clutch (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 13:44
Interesting though. His value has gone up considerably since we signed him. As al elite player I bet he could double his wages. It’s going to be hard to compete.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 13:49
He was reportedly on 400k when he joined. Then he would play all season. Now he seemingly won’t. Can’t think there would be many clubs able to afford him, other than France, or be ok with him being away for so long.

ale shark (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 15:33
I imagine he’d be able to massively increase the value of any personal endorsements were he based back in SA full time. Salaries are only part of player income.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 12:20
Four more years, four more years!

[www.rugbypass.com]

Crutch (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 13:31
Whilst it would be silly to take this as gospel, for Dimes to come out and say this he must have at least a decent amount of confidence about it smiling smiley

ale shark (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 13:38
Dimes: “There is no chance of Faf going anywhere else”

Insert appropriate smiley/emoji.

MikeGC (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 14:21
Quote:
ale shark
Dimes: “There is no chance of Faf going anywhere else”
Insert appropriate smiley/emoji.

Translation:-
We know Faf is going but we can’t tell the supporters

LJK (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 21:48
Think Crutch is right... for Dimes to be so specific re De Klerk, he must be fairly confident of it coming to fruition, otherwise he is going to be a laughing stock. The rest of it I take much more sceptically, as we have heard this line about future (and even imminent) recruitment of southern hemisphere international quality players before

Crutch (IP Logged)
25 December, 2018 20:13
Part one (the easier one) done. Roll on part two smiling smiley

Crutch (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 10:31
And there’s part two! Absolutely fantastically amazing news, especially the length of the contract.

Plus a helping of New Years humble pie for some to enjoy smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/12/2018 10:31 by Crutch.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net