rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Team vs Tigers
romanfaithfull (IP Logged)
07 November, 2018 15:42
So Dimes has said we'll be putting forward our strongest possible XV, so I think this will be:

Harrison
Webber
John
Evans
Phillips
Ross
Curry
Beaumont
Cliff
du Preez
Solomona/odogwu
Van cannonball
JOC
reed?
Sam James

Not really sure what the bench would look like.

Thoughts?

Re: Team vs Tigers
Olyy (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 12:00
Good to see us and Tigers on the same page re: strength.
Didn't realise Forsyth was back at Tigers! Thought he was still with Leeds

Sharks: 15.Sam James; 14.Denny Solomona, 13.James O’Connor, 12.Johnny Leota, 11.Arron Reed; 10.Rob Du Preez, 9.Will Cliff;1.Ross Harrison, 2.Rob Webber, 3.WillGriff John, 4.Bryn Evans, 5.James Phillips, 6.Jono Ross (capt.), 7.Ben Curry, 8.Josh Beaumont.

Replacements: 16.Curtis Langdon, 17.Tom Bristow, 18.Joe Jones, 19.Matt Postlethwaite, 20.Cameron Neild, 21.Gus Warr, 22.Kieran Wilkinson, 23.Luke James

15 George Worth

14 Adam Thompstone

13 Gareth Owen

12 Kyle Eastmond

11 Jordan Olowofela

10 Tom Hardwick

9 Ben White

1 Greg Bateman

2 Tom Youngs (c)

3 Gaston Cortes

4 Harry Wells

5 Graham Kitchener

6 Mike Williams

7 Will Evans

8 Guy Thompson

Replacements

16 Jake Kerr

17 Facundo Gigena

18 Joe Heyes

19 Mike Fitzgerald

20 Tommy Reffell

21 Sam Harrison

22 Joe Ford

23 Andrew Forsyth

WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 12:40
Hahahahahahahahahaha

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 12:45
RJVR ?

Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 12:48
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Hahahahahahahahahaha

Don’t get it?

MartWhit (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 13:05
Thats a hell of an academy we've got there eh Olyy?

Yareet (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 13:14
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Hahahahahahahahahaha

40 minutes. That's longer than I expected

ale shark (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 14:23
Should be a decent competitive game. Nice to see Denny back starting

StalyShark (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 15:40
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark
RJVR ?

Two possibilities:
1. Ankle injury against Connacht was worse than expected.
2. Additional rest given he’s just come out of Super Rugby.

More likely the former.

Asterz (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 17:14
But, but, but, but what about the youth?

I guess you guys don’t have any confidence in your academy? Or maybe these guys will be burnt out by the end of the season?

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 17:49
Most can't reply Asterz, I wonder if they have their mouths full, eating their own hats. Or are they sweeping up all the broken glass?
Manifestly it's ok for us to sharpen up and try and generate a bit of positivity for more serious games in other competitions after this week, but it wasn't for other teams to do something vaguely similar in previous weeks. (Sm22)
The only positive thing is at least Tigers are trying their best to stop us, so it might be quite competitive. Presumably similar reasons?

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 17:59
Apparently we gave tigers fair warning
Quote:
H's Dimes
“I think this development programme in this competition has been really good and Leicester have done it like we’ve done it.
“We’ve spoken to the Tigers’ management and they’re putting a strong side out and we are doing the same, so we want a competitive game and both teams want to win before the Gallagher Premiership starts again.”

Asterz (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 18:02
Everyone is free to use their squad as they wish! By the time we line up again Bath in the next Prem game, our first team will have been rested for 3/5 games - at least as much as other clubs’, if not more. Worth noting that we’ll also have at least 4/5 of those games won.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 18:04
Who is to say Worcester's management didn't warn Dimes , but he decided against mirroring them?(Sm100)
Asterz make's the general point about throwing stones, taking a position on a high horse....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2018 18:08 by H's Dad....

Warr-i-ors! (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 22:45
Hahahahahaha! Brilliant.

Crutch (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 00:18
Plenty of us said we had no issue with it at the time too given what Dimes had said about his intentions for the Leicester game

It does make games a bit pointless when there’s such a mismatch though so I’m glad that Leicester have a similarly strong team rather than us against their academy.

ballsout (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 01:53
Worcester fans laughing. Bless. Most teams will be going near full strength this weekend as a warm up before the Prem starts again.

A tad different to Wuss putting out first choice teams every week of the Cup.

Garym (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 07:23
Quote:
ballsout
Worcester fans laughing. Bless. Most teams will be going near full strength this weekend as a warm up before the Prem starts again.

As you have obviously seen our team ahead of it being announced, could you let us know what it is? Thanks

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 08:14
Quote:
ballsout

If that's what suits their overall strategy, and It's not breaking any competition rules, why shouldn't they, or anyone else, do so?

Spirit of the competition? If that's what was seriously intended then there would be some age or number of appearances rule to enforce it. Otherwise it's a myth.

shaftesbury shark (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 09:25
I don't agree with what Worcester did but really, they can do whatever they want. No point to criticize them.

If there's a problem with mismatched teams then it is entirely the fault of the tournament organizers, nothing to do with Worcester.

If the tournament is for developing players then specify that in the rules somehow.

Don't hate the player, hate the game!

ballsout (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 09:54
Quote:
ageinghoody
Quote:
ballsout

If that's what suits their overall strategy, and It's not breaking any competition rules, why shouldn't they, or anyone else, do so?

Spirit of the competition? If that's what was seriously intended then there would be some age or number of appearances rule to enforce it. Otherwise it's a myth.

Where was I criticicing them for doing that? I was just commenting that their laughter at Sale (and every other club) putting out a strong team the week before a Prem game is unwarranted and frankly, pathetic.

09 November, 2018 11:47
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
ageinghoody
Quote:
ballsout

Where was I criticicing them for doing that? I was just commenting that their laughter at Sale (and every other club) putting out a strong team the week before a Prem game is unwarranted and frankly, pathetic.

Who’s laughing at any other club?

We are laughing at Sale because it was specifically your coaches and your fans who were crying about Worcester playing a strengthened team and thus, apparently, not entering into the spirit of the competition. Now, just because you reach some sort of bizarre agreement with another club as to when to play your better players, the “spirit of the competition” suddenly becomes irrelevent because it suits your clubs needs. It’s still the Premiership Cup, which according to your fans and coaches was a development competition 3 weeks ago. I look forward to seeing how the young, raw and completely unknown talents of Solomona and O Conner blokes (both straight out of the Sale academy of course) develop!

Crutch (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 12:10
A very limited number of Sale fans, and Ballsout doesn’t speak for anyone on this forum...

clutch (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 12:20
Worcester rested people for the European competition so this discussion is pointless.

They have rested, and managed to win all their games so far, so fair play to them.

neiljk (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 19:01
Somewhat surprised ballsout can still be this sore several weeks later. Pethaps it’s the contortions involved in double standards.....

Olyy (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 19:21
Yarde posted a photo of him watching the game on his laptop - I didn't think it was being streamed anywhere?

Ewok shark (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 20:15
Wow Worcester fans really need to let this go. Take a chill pill and let us moan on our message board. You're all looking a bit too needy of us to agree with your selection (most of us do agree with it) in a Mickey mouse cup that the people moaning probably couldn't be arsed going to the home games of.

C3Q (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 20:26
HT 13-11 according to the BBC

neiljk (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 20:32
We’re just reacting to the sniping from your club and some of your fans. The sniffy, houlier than thou attitude to other clubs selections is frankly laughable.

If you don’t want comments then don’t keep focussing on team selection.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 20:58
We've spent a long time attacking in their 22 to no avail yet.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 20:59
16-11 5 mins left and tigers down to 14 after repeat infringements

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:00
16-18 penalty try puts us back in front 2.5 mins to go

Olyy (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:03
Replacement front row sounds like it's doing the business both in the scrum and at the lineout!

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:04
16-18 full time a victory for the sharks with a missed penalty from tigers a minute from the end too.

Ewok shark (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:09
Let it go Neiljk just have a glass of red and let it go! yeah sale win at tigers let's all have a disco!!!!

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:11
Quote:
neiljk
We’re just reacting to the sniping from your club and some of your fans. The sniffy, houlier than thou attitude to other clubs selections is frankly laughable.
If you don’t want comments then don’t keep focussing on team selection.

Toddle off back to your own board if you want to labour your silly little snipes there's a good boy

neiljk (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:34
Wow. Just insults.

You may remember it was your club that started publicly complaining. This has then persisted and has continued into this week with your club doing precisely what it criticised Worcester for but justifying it as they had discussed with Tiggers so all ok. Just when was it ok to have a chat with the oppo about team selection? Wasn’t Dimes castigating and sacking people not so very long ago on disclosing confidential team matters?

It’s hypocritical and poor sportsmanship.

Most of you seem very sensible. Some, sadly including your DoR, are foolish.

09 November, 2018 21:45
Timeline of events:

Worcester announce team to play Sale.

Some sale fans moan about worcester team.

Sale management moan about worcester team.

Worcester beat sale.

Sale management moan about worcester team (again) as it’s apparently “not in the spirit of the tournament”.

Some Sale fans do the same.

Worcester fans reasonably explain why Worcester named a strong team for the game.... [note, some Sale fans agree]

[fast forward 2 weeks]

Sale name strong team for their game in the Cup despite some of their fans and their management saying that it was against the spirit of the compeition to do such a thing. [note, the phrase “spirit of the competition” seems to have been shelved by all who previously used it].

Worcester fans let Sale know of their clubs
hipocrisy.

Sale fans angrily tell Worcester fans not to come back on their message board again and to let it go (ie please forget about this because we realise we look really stupid)

Comedy gold!

Olyy (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:55
Imagine, several weeks after the fact, still going onto another clubs forum daily to try and pick fights.

No one cares, so back in your box.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2018 21:55 by Olyy.

neiljk (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 22:06
No one is picking a fight....

If all you can do to debate a point is tell people to toddle off or get back in their box, it’s probably because you have a weak argument. Try playng the ball and not the man.

Olyy (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 22:11
Quote:
neiljk
toddle off or get back in their box
Excellent idea, you should take your own advice

ballsout (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 22:17
Someone tell these idiot Worcester trolls that most clubs are playing strong teams the week before the Prem resumes.

Worcester specifically played a strong team to advance in the competition. Big difference.

Well done tonight. Tigers were pretty pathetic in the last twenty plus minutes.

09 November, 2018 22:19
Quote:
Olyy
Imagine, several weeks after the fact, still going onto another clubs forum daily to try and pick fights.
No one cares, so back in your box.

If you don’t want us to come on your messageboard, then make it private. If not then expect us to pop over and give some back when some of your fans belittle our club in what’s transpired to be a monumental heads gone moment. Anyone who had a go at Worcester (including your coaches) have lost all credability and look unbelievably stupid and given how bitter these people were, it’s great and highly amusing to watch!

Edit: as if it couldn’t get any funnier, ballsout has come up with an imaginery reason as to why we played a strong team. Apparently the reason was that we’re desperate to advance in the competition NOT to give players who’d just had 10 days off and holidayed in miami some game time to avoid them getting rusty!

Being towards the bottom of the league really doing funny things to some of you lot...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2018 22:23 by WorcesterSauce.

Olyy (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 22:22
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
look unbelievably stupid

The lack of self awareness is highly amusing.

09 November, 2018 22:36
Quote:
Olyy
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
look unbelievably stupid

The lack of self awareness is highly amusing.

Hahaha. Agree!

Here’s some prime examples of your own, seemingly complete lack of self awareness in the way of your opinion from just 2 weeks ago:

“A shame Worcester haven’t entered into the spirit of the competition”

And “At least it's given youngsters like Hougaard, Weir and Adams a rare taste of senior rugby”

And “PRL describe this competition as a link between the U18s league and the Gallagher Premiership - I'm sure Hougaard is really excited about taking that next step and maybe getting some bench time in the Prem.”

Best thing is, it doesn’t need anything added from me, the quotes say it all!

LJK (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 22:39
Can we get back to the title of the thread....tonight's game. I was listening to the second half and we must have dropped the ball or got turned over close to the try line half a dozen times, and I assumed that the problem we had in finishing had re-appeared and would lose the game. Not so..... well played Sale Sharks, in what sounded like vile conditions

Olyy (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 22:43
Quote:
LJK
Can we get back to the title of the thread....tonight's game. I was listening to the second half and we must have dropped the ball or got turned over close to the try line half a dozen times, and I assumed that the problem we had in finishing had re-appeared and would lose the game. Not so..... well played Sale Sharks, in what sounded like vile conditions
Closed out a close game
Away from home
Won a series of scrum penalties with the reserve pack
Won a penalty try from the maul

It's essentially a complete mirror of our recent form, haha

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 22:49
Darn I only wrote 2 out of those 3 quotes ......must do better next time round to get 100% great win tonight. Dimes said everyone bar Tom Curry available for selection for Sarries match

Yareet (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 07:34
Quote:
Surbiton Shark
Darn I only wrote 2 out of those 3 quotes ......must do better next time round to get 100% great win tonight. Dimes said everyone bar Tom Curry available for selection for Sarries match

In addition, I’d guess Faf, Ashton and Tarus will be with their national teams

10 November, 2018 07:55
Quote:
Yareet
Quote:
Surbiton Shark

He said Faf, Tarus and Ostrikov are back. For Ashton he said if England win maybe Ashton will be released

Yareet (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 09:00
Quote:
Surbiton Shark
Quote:
Yareet
Quote:
Surbiton Shark

He said Faf, Tarus and Ostrikov are back. For Ashton he said if England win maybe Ashton will be released

Cool. If Denny’s back, Ashton is less of a loss. Did he mention Strauss and Horse?

10 November, 2018 09:32
No mention of Strauss/Horse. The only other bit was Tom C being out 6-8 which he reconfirmed with the additional information that it’s likely he won’t be seen playing for Sale till the new year. More importantly I can’t find my gloves and I’m setting of shortly for the international at Twickers via a glove shop!

Rich E (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 10:06
The weather was atrocius last night however the kicking of Du Preez was really encouraging. He has a massive boot off the tee and his up and unders, looked calm and confident, although couldn't really tell what his running was like. Went off after a knock to his side/hip/ribs but hopefully only a precaution.

Solomona looked sharp but again, as all the backs, lacked ball.

Scrum and line out (considering no Evans and Ross after 50) went well.

It was a grim night for rugby though...

Crutch (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 10:22
Dimes also said RJVR available for next week.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net