rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Team v Bath
23Shark (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 11:27
Guessing WGJ wasn't badly injured then....

Sale Sharks: 15.Chris Ashton; 14.Denny Solomona, 13.Sam James, 12.James OíConnor, 11.Byron McGuigan; 10.Rob du Preez, 9.Faf de Klerk; 1.Ross Harrison, 2.Rob Webber, 3.WillGriff John, 4.Josh Beaumont, 5.James Phillips, 6.Jono Ross (capt.), 7.Ben Curry, 8.Jean-Luc du Preez.

Replacements: 16.Curtis Langdon, 17.Tom Bristow, 18.James Jones, 19.Andrei Ostrikov, 20.Bryn Evans, 21.Will Cliff, 22.Luke James, 23.Josh Strauss

Bath

15. Ruaridh McConnochie
14. Semesa Rokoduguni
13. Jackson Willison
12. Max Wright
11. Joe Cokanasiga
10. Freddie Burns
9. Kahn Fotualiíi
1. Nathan Catt
2. Jack Walker
3. Henry Thomas
4. Elliott Stooke
5. Charlie Ewels (c)
6. Francois Louw
7. Sam Underhill
8. Zach Mercer

Replacements

16. Ross Batty
17. Jacques van Rooyen
18. Max Lahiff
19. Matt Garvey
20. Tom Ellis
21. Will Chudley
22. James Wilson
23. Cooper Vuna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/11/2018 11:33 by 23Shark.

Re: Team v Bath
jaytom (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 11:32
A strong team! Here's hoping...

ale shark (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 11:34
Great team, starting to come together now, even the back half of the bench looks good for +30mins. Will be disappointed if there is any sort of capitulation with this line up.

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 11:45
Looks a good match up with both teams.

Bit of a shame Luke James is on the bench - he's been going really well lately. The luxury of having some choice for a change!

clutch (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 11:58
Itís a good team but weirdly I donít feel confident. For a start Reed and James replaced after playing so well feels a bit harsh. Also, for me the big positive of late was how exciting O Connor looked at 13 and now heís been moved. Good problems to have for the selectors through.
Evans not starting again. Must be a quota issue.

thekeg (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 12:02
With Evans they must also be thinking that Beaumont is in good form and they canít pick two lighter locks together. I think itís healthy if Beaumont is now ahead of him in the pecking order.

Harsh on the two young lads but they know they arenít first choice. They are getting plenty of opportunity to develop and will no doubt feature again soon, probably during 6N

ballsout (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 12:24
I thought WillGriff was stretchered off last week, looked serious

Glossopshark (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 12:36
Quote:
clutch
Itís a good team but weirdly I donít feel confident. For a start Reed and James replaced after playing so well feels a bit harsh. Also, for me the big positive of late was how exciting O Connor looked at 13 and now heís been moved. Good problems to have for the selectors through.
Evans not starting again. Must be a quota issue.

I would imagine that the shirt numbers will mean little and their positions in attack and defence will be based on the plays around them.

thekeg (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 12:40
Quote:
ballsout
I thought WillGriff was stretchered off last week, looked serious

Must have been a stinger I think, based on the reaction and then the selection here

BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 13:05
It's going to be an almighty clash between those back rows, with both sides having powerful back row cover (Strauss and Garvey). Worth the entrance money itself.

On paper we should have more than the edge in the backs over Bath, but the front five are going to have to produce some good ball for us.

Delighted the match is on the box so I can watch it, but hope it isn't a curse.

Olyy (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 14:31
Surprised, but pleased, to see WGJ. Hopefully he's not playing injured.

Really like the starting side - I'd have included reed on the bench for one of the two locks, but realistically he probably wouldn't have been used unless there was injury (we don't often make back 3 subs).
Looking forward to the game, though it is on TV so slightly more nervous than I would've been

Crutch (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 16:23
Iíd also have liked a little more continuity with Ashton for Byron, keeping the James brothers in place.

JoC hasnít played 12 this season, Ashton hasnít played 15, whilst Sam hasnít been at 13 for a while.

Having said that JoC and RJVR were rotating to some extent in their brief time together and expect this combo to do the same.

Hope we unload the forward replacements and play out the final 30 better than last time.

camshark (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 16:31
Bottom tonight after Falcons 99th minute win at saints.
Any win tomorrow and we are in top 6 , bizarre .

Crutch (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 17:40
Jeez, Iíd been hoping that Newcastle were the safety net. Bristol thrashed Leicester too. This season is going to be intense...

Flumpty (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 17:48
Quote:
camshark
Wouldn't a 4 point win put us 8th, with a bonus point win putting us 6th

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 17:52
Quote:
Flumpty
Quote:
camshark
Doesn't it go on games won if points are level?* That said, if Sale take 4 points and Bath 2, Bath are one pont ahead and would be 6th.

*On relection, I'm not sure that it does. I must look up the order of things. Sale have a better points difference but is that first in line on a tie-break?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 17:59 by DaveAitch.

Crutch (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 18:44
Pretty sure itís wins first.

ale shark (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 18:49
Is it not bonus points first?

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 20:28
Match wins first
Quote:
In the case of equality at any stage of the Season, positions at that stage of the season shall be determined firstly by the number of wins achieved and then on the basis of match points differential. A Club with a larger number of wins shall be placed higher than a Club with the same number of league points but fewer wins.

Flumpty (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 21:01
Quote:
Flumpty
Quote:
camshark

So a win for Sale and 1 point or less for Bath, would see Sale into 6th - have I got that right ?
I was under the (mistaken) impression that points scored was the clincher

LJK (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 22:00
Isn't this all a bit presumptious chaps..got to win first, and not sure with all the Bath internationals back and playing at the Rec. that we will. My wish is just to get off the foot of the table heading up to Xmas, and not concerned where exactly we are above the basement

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 09:47
Late change just announced on club twitter.

Byron out with hamstring strain. Ashton moves to wing, Sam to 15, Luke to 12, Reed to bench.

Funnily enough I saw it just after wondering why on Earth Byron was up watching Fury v Wilder fight at 5am!

02 December, 2018 10:01
Quote:
Pappje Shark
Late change just announced on club twitter.
Byron out with hamstring strain. Ashton moves to wing, Sam to 15, Luke to 12, Reed to bench.

Funnily enough I saw it just after wondering why on Earth Byron was up watching Fury v Wilder fight at 5am!

Just seen this. Quite happy with Luke at 12

Crutch (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 10:12
Thatís the team Iíd have gone for I think for consistency and Ashton not played 15 for us before. Good to try it out in the Euro games

Having said that, I was happy with Byron lining up to defend Rokodoguni. Which wing plays 11 do you think? Both have always been a 14 as far as we can recall

clutch (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 10:14
Not sure Roko is having a great season and he has defensive lapses.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 13:56
BT Sport have just shown Odogwu and not Reed on the bench.

02 December, 2018 14:53
0-0 after 25 mins. Weíve missed a kickable pen, they had a good period of pressure. Jono Ross giving away pens and knocking on the ball.....Sam James lost the Ball a few times in contact.

The best news is the bath fuse has blown and weíve lost Austin Healey on commentary!!

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 14:54
Well 24 mins gone and still 0-0. power failure in one stand so no tmo now

thekeg (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 15:18
0-0 HT

Not a classic but we are defending very well. Nearly nicked a try on the break st the end of the half

02 December, 2018 15:20
Our scrum looks like itís in constant trouble. Looked more stable when we had Jones on during WG HIA

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 15:22
2 poor sides struggling to cope with poor conditions

Makes for a @#$%& game

Although the positive is that our defence has been sound

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 15:25 by ashtonshark.

clutch (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 15:24
Thomas is turning in and getting away with it. Some scrums have been stable. Pearce is guessing.

ale shark (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 15:29
Itís a bit worrying if WGJ has had an HIA

02 December, 2018 15:29
We really need to use the bench today. Forwards looked knackered as we came to half time

Ellastone Basking (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 16:17
Looks like a relegation fight right up to the last weekend. A number of teams looking strong and confident!!

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 16:18
Slightly better 2nd half

Draw fair enough. Take that and get home

camshark (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 16:19
Great performance away at Bath in atrocious conditions , that will be good for confidence, and off the bottom of the table .

Olyy (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 16:20
2pts is 2pts, but it felt like we could/should have won that.

Sam James reminds me a bit of Elliot Daly - you can clearly see how talented a rugby player he is but he is not a fullback.

Can we sign a 15 as injury dispensation for Yarde? Not having one in the entire squad, and relying on playing someone out of position as our first choice, is a little short sighted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 16:21 by Olyy.

02 December, 2018 16:20
On what planet when we are near our own 22 do we try and run it in the pouring rain and concede a pen. Their lineout had gone to rat - we just had to keep booting it down their end

We worked so hard for the win then seemed to almost give it away.

Shame Denny didnít catch that last cross field ball.......

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 16:28
Quote:
Olyy
2pts is 2pts, but it felt like we could/should have won that.
Sam James reminds me a bit of Elliot Daly - you can clearly see how talented a rugby player he is but he is not a fullback.

Can we sign a 15 as injury dispensation for Yarde? Not having one in the entire squad, and relying on playing someone out of position as our first choice, is a little short sighted.

Totally agree re 15. Sam James has so much skill but heís not an FB (pace and positional wise). I also donít think Ashton is a full back... especially not in the winter months where you need a man at the back who can kick.

Reinforcements needed at FB, potentially also in the front 5, otherwise I fear we will struggle.

02 December, 2018 16:35
Quote:
Surbiton Shark
On what planet when we are near our own 22 do we try and run it in the pouring rain and concede a pen. Their lineout had gone to rat - we just had to keep booting it down their end
We worked so hard for the win then seemed to almost give it away.

Shame Denny didnít catch that last cross field ball.......

Itís called Faf being Faf!!! I nearly had a heart attack when he did this near the end - wouldnít have him any other way !!

As an aside, Jean Luc is some player - get him signed

MartWhit (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 16:36
Agree with surbiton. We had that game totally in control. Defence awesome.

Then 2 of the worst missed tackles of the season for their try and then 10 mins of dismal decision making to try to gift Bath a victory, which as the rest of BATH'S one dimensional game suggested, they werent capable of doing.

I like the 2 new Saffers, very talented and powerful, but they need to stop playing super rugby straight away. JL gave away too much ball and R's terrible pass across his own posts, words fail me on that one.

This totally should have been a W. Fitness, lineout and defence strong pluses. Individually Faf still amazing, Curry consistently excellent, JOC will threaten any time we get a dry track. WGJ & JJ are a real concern, as is Harrison's longevity.

Going forward, we have all the tools to pull comfortably away from the bottom.
But will we?
We've looked a few gift horses in the mouth already this season.
The winter months will be tough for our forward pack, which will come in front of similarly powerful 8's week in week out and still looks underpowered in the narrow phases even though their stamina is remarkable.

Good to hear in Faf's post game interview that reducing attacking turnovers is a trainng priority. That and not being a scrummaging and mauling liablity are the absolute keys to us being a good side or a relegation one.

clutch (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 16:37
James was pretty good. The commentators were complementing him on how well he was playing. Bar the missed tackle he played well. Better than Haley in those conditions due to superior kicking game.

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 16:39
James had classy moments but often out of position and not moving the wingers around enough. We were often under huge pressure when kicks game into our 22

Olyy (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 16:42
Did anyone see JOC going off?
Commentary mentioned a leg injury - hopefully not too bad/a recurrence of his previous injury.

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 16:45
Quote:
Olyy
Did anyone see JOC going off?
Commentary mentioned a leg injury - hopefully not too bad/a recurrence of his previous injury.

Looked like the right ankle. Went down badly on it and then couldnít get across to Vuna and had to bite in, bloke couldnít move on it properly

02 December, 2018 16:55
Wasnít it an ankle that caused him all the grief last season ?? Hope heís ok asi thought he was good today

dinogyro (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 16:58
Lineout nuch better and so were the rolling mauls.

Lots of good things, but we do need a replacement front row that can come and and inject some freshness.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 17:00
At the game and conditions were very much like Manchester drizzle, especially in the uncovered stand.

Bath really had nothing and out defence was great.

Glad we used the second row replacements early but what is the point of our bench props?!

02 December, 2018 17:02
When Barf scored we were down to 13. For me Jones should have replaced WGJ earlier and Evans was introduced too late - he stole every Barf ball after he came on. We faff about too much clearing our lines from inside the 22m.

I'd like to see that incident again when Faf grubbered it through and was brought down.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

02 December, 2018 17:04
Agreed. The Bristow signing is looking pointless if we donít play him. You any idea how JOC looked StalyShark ??

clutch (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 17:11
Not gonna moan about subs. We used them much earlier today.

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 17:14
Quote:
clutch

The weather should have seen Evans start. It was clear that the set piece would be key and heís a master at the lineout. The difference when he came on was huge.

Iíll moan about the fact we donít trust our back up loosehead. Recruitment failure.

02 December, 2018 17:15
Josh B looked like he pulled a muscle stomach. We could have some injuries coming out of this game.

Crutch (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 17:32
Away and in terrible conditions, definitely 2 points gained for me. Just a shame about the soft try conceded after so much excellent defence before it.

You can say Evans for the line out, but both Josh and Phillips were excellent in defence and tight drive plus maul defence whereas Bryn is usually missing in those areas.

As I said last week, JLdP definitely needs to adapt to UK conditions, but heís some player.

02 December, 2018 17:32
Quote:
RugbyMarvel
Quote:
clutch

The weather should have seen Evans start. It was clear that the set piece would be key and heís a master at the lineout. The difference when he came on was huge.

Iíll moan about the fact we donít trust our back up loosehead. Recruitment failure.

Assume Evans was on the bench as we wanted as much Ďpowerí in the mauls etc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 17:36 by Surbiton Shark.

Crutch (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 17:34
P.s. although clearly we do need 2 props, I donít think our scrum was as bad as appeared today. Bath bought the pens driving up without really going anywhere.

Thought Pearce was pretty good in tough conditions apart from that.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 17:40
pearce was excellent throughout. COntrast with Doyle who basically lost it yesterday was stark.

It needs to be recognised we were scrummaging aganst Henry Thomas, a rookie hooker and no Attwood, so we really should have been more solid than we were.

thekeg (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 18:29
Quote:
RugbyMarvel
Quote:
clutch

Yes in the sense that he stole their line out, but we did v well on our own ball with Beaumont on, plus I think he adds more as a tighter carrier in those conditions. Good to have options for a change!

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 18:43
Have to admit I was confused as to how Bath could repeatedly stand up in the scrum and still be awarded the penalty.

2 pts at Bath would normally be seen as a more than satisfactory result, but I can't help but feel disappointed, that was there to be won, and I really thought we were going to win it when Blackadder took Burns off, he was looking dangerous. Did anyone at the ground hear the THWOCK as Burns' kick through stuck to Sam James outstretched mitt. Ridiculous moment.

Despite the disappointment, when taking the condition and opponents into consideration, I think a better performance than last week, we are heading the right way, but a long, cold, wet winter could make life difficult for us.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

ale shark (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 18:52
Quote:
RugbyMarvel
The difference when he came on was huge.

We were leading when he came on!

StalyShark (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 18:53
JOC hobbled off (though quickly as I didnít see him go) but got up gingerly. Looked like a foot. No idea which.

Olyy (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 19:19
Concerning about JOC, however with Euro rugby upon us it's opportunity to give him a couple of weeks off to rest it

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 19:35
We didnít lose and that trumps everything.

Yes, Sam had a mare for their try but his SpiderSam moment was but one of many telling contributions. And we should bear in mind that some refs might have shown us a yellow card and possibly even awarded a penalty try when Bath had that early first half pressure. So although a win was possible, thereís no shame in the draw.

Crutch (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 19:41
Although itís another opportunity to get an away win missed, itís also the kind of game that weíd typically lose, so Iím relieved to get the draw and keep the improving momentum going.

Ignoring the prem cup our record is as follows:

First 5 games - W1 - L4
Last 6 games - W4 - D1 - L1

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 19:48
Quote:
ale shark
Quote:
RugbyMarvel

This comment can be likened to ĎBut we were winning when Sam Burgess was oní or even ĎWilder must have won because he knocked him down twiceí

If Evans had been on to disrupt their lineout earlier on I genuinely think it would have made a huge difference for us

02 December, 2018 20:18
Quote:
RugbyMarvel
Quote:
ale shark
Quote:
RugbyMarvel

This comment can be likened to ĎBut we were winning when Sam Burgess was oní or even ĎWilder must have won because he knocked him down twiceí

If Evans had been on to disrupt their lineout earlier on I genuinely think it would have made a huge difference for us

I think when Bath started loosing their lineout I noticed they had a replacement hooker on?

Anyhow as someone said itís nice to have either one on the bench. Josh B is slowly beginning to resemble the player who burst on the scene before his injury at worcs

Olyy (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 20:30
Think today is the best Josh has looked in the 2nd row, for my money.

Re: Tieam v Bath
BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 00:00
Thought Curry thoroughly outplayed Underhill today. He had a fabulous game.
Evans did well in the line out when he came on which wasnít much different in time to the swap if the Bath hookers. Iím not sure where the credit/ debit lies but Evans is a brilliant poacher. However, he was still hanging out on the wing for chunks of time and it appeared on the box that this was a game for the forwards to put their heads where it hurt, not on the wing.
Webber was conspicuous today both in tight and loose. We appeared weak on the tight head, but on the first scrum pen against us Thomas was airborne so how we could be penalised for standing up I donít know.
The unforced errors once again were disappointing.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 01:45
Marvel is clearly right that we started to nick their lineout ball when Bryn came on, commentary team, up to that point, had expressed some surprise that both lineouts were 100% is such conditions. Not sure how Bryn and the Bath hooker synched. The contention that Bryn from the start would have made a huge difference is a valid one, but I'm not so sure that we had enough attacking opportunities in the first half for him to make that much difference. As expressed above, Josh B had a very good game too, just in a different way.

The unforced errors were frustrating, but the conditions were what I believe is meteorologically described as 'kin 'orrible, so I'm cutting some slack this week.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

ale shark (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 08:24
[quote RugbyMarvel]This comment can be likened to ĎBut we were winning when Sam Burgess was oní or even ĎWilder must have won because he knocked him down twiceí/quote]

It was just a statement of fact RM, your comment made it sound like the introduction of Evans changed the course of the match in Saleís favour. Weíll never know what had happened if he started but most were happy with the starting XV.

Wilder didnít win. Not seen anyone saying he should have. The Mexicanís scorecard was clearly bobbins but the English guyís drawn card arguably looked fine.

Rich E (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 18:21
In a bizarre way I thought this was our most encouraging result of there season to date - miserable weather, away from home, expected by most to come second - top defence, excellent line out, new players in key positions still bedding in - Ashton back and looking savvy and keen.The only negative IMO was the potential injury count....

9 games down - 4 home, 5 away to date

I am hoping the 22nd brings a solid win and and positivity for 2019.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net