rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Team for Bristol?
Crutch (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 19:14
Dimes has said that Tom Curry and James O Connor are available for selection. That means we have a number of possible permutations in the backs and back row but Iíll go for:

Harrison
Webber
John
Evans
Phillips
Ross
T Curry
JLdP

Faf
RdP
McGuigan
L James
JoC
Solomona
Ashton

Bristow
Langdon
Jones
Beaumont
B Curry
Strauss
Cliff
S James

Ben has played a lot of mins so swap in Tom. Start with Bryn to ensure we secure line out ball unlike last week, but partner with Phillips so the maul/scrum is not too lightweight. Jean-Luc to start as he likes to make his yards in the very tight spaces- Beaumont and Strauss to come on at 50/60 mins against tiring defence.

Tough call in the backs - Byron could drop out with Aston to wing and Sam James to FB, or more likely JoC comes in for L James, but Sam has played more mins than anyone I think and Luke has been so consistent.

I think last time that all of these were available the initial selection was an OíConnor / S James centre combo with JoC at 12 but he pulled out before the game?

6-2 split on the bench which I know a lot of people dislike, but back subs are often wasted and thereís so much flexibility in our backs that barring an injury nightmare I think itís much more effective to be able to bring on a fresh Beaumont, Curry and Strauss, especially if the weather is poor again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/12/2018 19:15 by Crutch.

Re: Team for Bristol?
StalyShark (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 19:41
Pretty good selection crutch and I donít think youíll be far off. Tom Curry posted a somewhat cryptic Instagram message on Tuesday with the caption ď we have a 23 19 (emoji of sock)Ē so I think heíll bench. I was lucky enough to be in the corporate bit last week and Jono said he had a minor injury but should be back this week. So he may not start. I think weíll go 6-2 as well with:

Harrison
Webber
John
Evans
Phillips
JdP
B Curry
Strauss
Faf
RdP
McGuigan
L James
S James
Solomona
Ashton

Langdon
Bristow
Jones
Beaumont
T Curry
Ross
Cliff
JOC

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 20:13
Iíll go for:

Harrison
Webber
WGJ
Beaumont
Phillips
Ross
B Curry
JLdP

Faf
RdP
McGuigan
JOC
Sam J
Solomona
Ashton

Bristow
Langdon
Jones
Evans
Strauss
T Curry
Cliff
L James

I think with Webber doing the darts, Evans May remain benched to allow for Beaumont to start for his dynamism in the loose. JOC starts if available I reckon given what heís shown so far this season.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
21 December, 2018 11:30
Oh Dimes has to spoil it didnít he?!

I got the Currys the wrong way round, but otherwise thatís what has just been announced.

wrinklieshark (IP Logged)
21 December, 2018 11:34
Skipper Jono Ross, James OíConnor and Tom Curry return to the starting fifteen, with Ben Curry and Luke James supporting on the bench.

STARTING XV: 15.Chris Ashton; 14.Denny Solomona, 13.Sam James, 12. James OíConnor, 11.Byron McGuigan; 10. Rob du Preez, 9.Faf de Klerk; 1.Ross Harrison, 2.Rob Webber, 3.WillGriff John, 4.Josh Beaumont, 5.James Phillips, 6.Jono Ross (capt.), 7.Tom Curry, 8.Jean-Luc du Preez.

REPLACEMENTS: 16.Curtis Langdon, 17.Tom Bristow, 18.Joe Jones, 19.Bryn Evans, 20.Josh Strauss, 21.Will Cliff, 22.Luke James, 23.Ben Curry

Crutch (IP Logged)
21 December, 2018 11:52
All very close to be fair and the 6-2 split.

Seems Evans is now a reserve when all are fit.

BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
21 December, 2018 12:20
Bristol team:

15. Charles Piutau; 14. Luke Morahan, 13. Will Hurrell, 12. Siale Piutau (co-capt),11. Alapati Leiua; 10. Ian Madigan 9. Harry Randall; 1. Yann Thomas, 2. Harry Thacker, 3. John Afoa, 4. Chris Vui, 5. Aly Muldowney, 6. Steve Luatua (co-capt), 7. George Smith, 8. Jack Lam.

Replacements: 16. Tom Lindsay, 17. Jake Woolmore, 18. Lewis Thiede, 19. Joe Joyce, 20. Dan Thomas, 21. Andy Uren, 22. Callum Sheedy, 23. Piers OíConor.

Some big names in the starting XV but I have to say our bench looks stronger.

weather Forecast: light rain and cool

I don't see Bristol getting the EQ player bonus payment with squads like this one!

Looking forward to the game. Our backline is getting closer to being the strongest we could turn out. Will be nice to see if they can click.

BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
21 December, 2018 14:40
I see JP Doyle is the ref. i know he comes in for stick on here, but I have to say I like his style of trying to let the game flow.

two close teams, a good ref - just hope a good crowd turns up for it.

As a matter of interest, with Charles Piutau being reputedly on £1million, will he be the first millionaire (salary wise) player we will have seen at Sale? Did Sir Jonny or Jonno ever ascend to those heights? Unless there were any members of the Toulon squad or for Toulouse, I can't think of anyone else in that bracket.

clutch (IP Logged)
21 December, 2018 16:37
Heís totally failing to let the game flow. The last 3 games Iíve seen have been a shambles.

Olyy (IP Logged)
21 December, 2018 18:18
Apparently Wilko topped out at 780k Euros a season,
I believe Piutau is the first £1m a season player in the sport.

Really like our side - always a bit nervous when we name a 6/2 split, but we've plenty of backs that can play multiple positions in the side, and once you start thinking "What if we lose two wings?" then you might as well start thinking "What if we lose two tightheads?"

yukon (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 05:44
Quote:
Olyy

I think Dan Carter was the first

Jim H (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 09:59
Quote:
Olyy

He's not on a million, this has been repeatedly confirmed by Bristol.

Crutch (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 10:07
Currently tipping it down in the AJBell area. Gonna be a forwards slog...

wrinklieshark (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 10:44
Supposed to be fine this afternoon...maybe?

[www.yr.no]

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 11:45
Carter's on a million euro I think

clutch (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 12:28
Donít think thatís a bad thing against Bristol.

Olyy (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 12:42
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
Olyy

I think Dan Carter was the first

Aha, very correct!
I thought I remembered him being on 900k but turns out it was £1.4m!

WithingtonShark (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 12:45
Quote:
wrinklieshark
Supposed to be fine this afternoon...maybe?
[www.yr.no]

I'm at the castle in the air just down the road and it is grey but not raining.

Olyy (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 16:52
Fantastic result to take into Christmas!

Linespeed and defence was excellent and the finish from Wilf in the corner was top draw

romanfaithfull (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 16:55
that's a huge win! Dominated them in the scrum and defence was top notch. Mom for me could be any of harrison, John or RdP. Faf classy as always.

No idea how cliff scored that try, some finish!

clutch (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 17:16
Webber put a huge shift in as well.

davsharkMKII (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 18:07
Lot of good performances out there today...controlled the game with possession and good in defence without.

I hope from Bristol's point of view Madigan isn't as bad as that every week or if so he's absolutely stealing a living!

22 December, 2018 18:14
Aye webber is solid - rate him as one of the best sale 2s to be honest - this season he's been on top form.

re: the scrum think we look like a different team than the one at the start of the year, think it's our biggest improvement.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 18:20
Quote:
romanfaithfull
Aye webber is solid - rate him as one of the best sale 2s to be honest - this season he's been on top form.
re: the scrum think we look like a different team than the one at the start of the year, think it's our biggest improvement.

Is this down to Dorian West?

22 December, 2018 18:37
doesn't seem to be a coincidence! Harrison looked really up for it tonight, was everywhere in the loose as well

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 18:46
Quote:
romanfaithfull

Rolling maul much more effective as well. Credit to West

LJK (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 18:50
Agree our defence was superb again today and delighted with the win. The du Preez bros. are a brilliant, but unfortunately short term fix. Shame about the bungled passes in the backs in the last quarter which could have earned at least another try.
What happened late in the first half when Sale had a 3 on 2 on the left wing only for the ref to blow the whistle, but we then had possession at the re-start?

Flumpty (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 18:53
It was good to watch the 2nd half in the North Stand, with the "noisy choir" accompanied by saxaphone (Sm128)

45jumper (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 18:55
Very satisfactory win. Defence was absolutely fantastic, as was the scrum. What was most pleasing is that it was a very different win to what we're used to. We dogged it out, didn't lose focus and comfortably won despite not being at our best. Well done boys (Sm152)

Crutch (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 19:20
Bristol started with confidence, but once they found that the big forwards werenít punching holes, and we started to target the 2nd deep receiver, they looked fairly bereft of ideas.

Having said that, we had very little creativity ourselves, but just good to see a performance where we dominated the scrum (against a supposedly strong unit), line out very good, and better game management than weíre normally capable of.

Today was all about the win, as evidenced by the times we took the 3 points rather than pushing to the corner for tries, and denying them a losing bonus. Hopefully from the Glos game we can aim to play with some more confidence out wide.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 19:20
Congratulations on the deserved win today guys, you could have let us have a point as it's Xmas though. winking smiley

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 21:02
Was the game televised? It seemed to be on the screens in the stadium bars with highlights of the first half at half time and a MoM interview with Faf at the end?

The win was hugely important against a team that have performed well this season.

Thought Harrison and Webber were immense.

Is it just me or was Ashton off form this week (and last week)? He was everywhere in the previous games giving 110% but not today.....

FarnhamShark (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 21:14
Quote:
LJK
Agree our defence was superb again today and delighted with the win. The du Preez bros. are a brilliant, but unfortunately short term fix. Shame about the bungled passes in the backs in the last quarter which could have earned at least another try.
What happened late in the first half when Sale had a 3 on 2 on the left wing only for the ref to blow the whistle, but we then had possession at the re-start?
JP apologised for blowing too soon.

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 22:16
Quote:
FarnhamShark
Quote:
LJK
JP apologised for blowing too soon.

Penalty was for an offside following a box kick from their 9 which was misdirected. The Ref has blown before the ball ended up being passed out to JOC who was clear through with men spare to pass to - as the previous poster said JP held his hand up to apologise

LJK (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 09:53
Thanks to Farnham and Surbiton for explaining - think our try resulted from that penalty anyway.

clutch (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 14:47
Easy error to make from ref. No complaints. Not sure how Faf was mom again. Seems a case of giving it to him for the sake of it.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 15:17
I thought Rob Du Preez was MOM?

thekeg (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 15:38
Quote:
ashtonshark
I thought Rob Du Preez was MOM?

Not sure I really see that either, well as he kicked. Itís not necessarily his fault, but I think our issues with a lack of fluidity in the backs stem from his lack of familiarity with those inside and outside him. I thought his brother and Ross were our most influential players. Ross led our defence superbly and JLDP was our biggest carrying threat. Webber also very effective

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 15:50
Jono Ross or JPdP MOM for me. Jono probably edges it on his phenomenal work rate but JPdP is a real handful and is giving us the big ball carries that we were missing

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 16:08
Extended highlights (22 mins) now on BT Sport website

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net