rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Team v Gloucester - Prediction
StalyShark (IP Logged)
27 December, 2018 10:30
With the little preparation time between last weekís game and this one i reckon weíll put out the same team as against Bristol:

Harrison
Webber
John
Beaumont
Phillips
Ross
T Curry
DuPreez
Faf
DuPreez
McGuigan
JOC
S James
Solomona
Ashton

Langdon
Bristow
Jones
Evans
B Curry
Strauss
Cliff
L James

Weather is supposedly dry and reasonably temperate but I imagine our game plan will be pretty much the same as last week: squeeze the life out of them in defence and maybe the backs moves will come off this time.

Re: Team v Gloucester - Prediction
Crutch (IP Logged)
27 December, 2018 10:43
Think itís very likely to be the same team. Strauss could start, but the back row were so good last time I wouldnít change it, although hope he gets onto the pitch this time at some point.

clutch (IP Logged)
27 December, 2018 10:53
Youíd hope. Strauss has been very effective off the bench this season. Bristol wasnít the most attritional game I guess and Ross and Du Preez both seem to keep going!

StalyShark (IP Logged)
27 December, 2018 11:21
I can see Strauss coming on after about 55. Youíd imagine that one of the back rows would be given a job to do on Owen Williams, giving him no time as he has hardly played this year. With DC running the show his way their backs will already be disjointed and if we can really cramp Williams then I can see us getting the win. Their front row isn't all that, second row is good as are their back rows. The backs are a bit of a hodgepodge with no DC and playing a wing at 12. We havenít got anything to fear.

Crutch (IP Logged)
27 December, 2018 12:22
They are at home and they have the confidence of having won a number of games and clear in 3rd. Will be a big challenge to get the points, but we are definitely capable.

Shaw?Positive! (IP Logged)
27 December, 2018 12:47
Watching the game on Saturday and the dressing room video, I would not be surprised if Byron was on the bench. Jono had a stiff word with him after a cock-up and his body language on the video was not great. On another note, Denny seems to be carrying an elbow injury that he was nursing on the video post match ( and on more than one occasion during recent matches). Anyone know if it is a long-term injury?

StalyShark (IP Logged)
27 December, 2018 12:51
Quote:
Shaw?Positive!
Watching the game on Saturday and the dressing room video, I would not be surprised if Byron was on the bench. Jono had a stiff word with him after a cock-up and his body language on the video was not great. On another note, Denny seems to be carrying an elbow injury that he was nursing on the video post match ( and on more than one occasion during recent matches). Anyone know if it is a long-term injury?

What video is this and where can one find it please?

clutch (IP Logged)
27 December, 2018 13:06
Captains job to have a word. Doesnít mean he will be dropped.
Having said that for all his plus points Mcguigan cannot pass a rugby ball to save his life!! That was probably the error when we were in front and needed to play sensibly. We created an overlap which was botched by the attempted pass.

Shaw?Positive! (IP Logged)
27 December, 2018 15:39
The video is a short clip on the Twitter feed of the Offy.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
27 December, 2018 17:09
Quote:
Shaw?Positive!
The video is a short clip on the Twitter feed of the Offy.

Thanks. Will have a gander.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
27 December, 2018 17:25
Is that not Byron that stands straight up to bang the wall?

StalyShark (IP Logged)
28 December, 2018 12:07
Is it time to say that Iím actually Steve Diamond?

[www.salesharks.com]

camshark (IP Logged)
28 December, 2018 12:08
Same team , same bench . Is this the first time this season the 23 has been unchanged ?

Olyy (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 14:59
Are we wearing away shorts with home tops...?

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 15:15
Being pinged off the park by a ref who recently graduated from Glos Uni!

Olyy (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 15:19
Wish we had a ref with a bit of backbone, the shed have this guy eating out the palm of their hand.

Gloucester probably worth their lead atm though ( 0-10 )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/12/2018 15:19 by Olyy.

Olyy (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 15:21
Make that 10 - 7! Ashton over in the corner after some good hands down the line

romanfaithfull (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 15:29
Don't know how much we're paying faf but he's certainly worth it!

Olyy (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 15:31
James O'Connor is absolutely on fire out there!
Two big breaks so far that he had no right to make, electric running

45jumper (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 15:32
Two absolutely sensational tries. Should both be up for try of the week, the first in particular was one of the best I've seen us score for a long time!

29 December, 2018 15:37
We're playing some great rugby ball in hand, but I think we will need to be a bit more patient going forward, we can't always score of first phase/turnover

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 15:47
Reminiscent of our game at kingsholm last year where we really put it up to them. Cracking stuff so far hope we keep it up.

29 December, 2018 16:04
Faf yellow card

29 December, 2018 16:10
I honestly think tom curry is the best 7 in the prem, 2 turnovers already today

StalyShark (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 16:12
Mostert is tearing our lineout apart but elsewhere weíre playing very well.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 16:20
Always astounds me just how one-eyed the Shed is.

29 December, 2018 16:20
Again, sublime from faf. Huge tackle dislodges the ball from 36 and then has the vision to send solomona in out wide

29 December, 2018 16:28
Pretty sure JLDP has just torn his groin sad smiley

29 December, 2018 16:37
Our line speed is making glos look pretty average

davsharkMKII (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 16:40
Quote:
romanfaithfull

He was hobbling unassisted just as the camera cut away, would he be able to with a tear? Im no expert

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 16:42
When did we last win away from home in the league?

Olyy (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 16:48
What an excellent win! Just wow!

Hope JLDP is OK, he was helped off but walked to the bench and didn't have medics around him afterwards.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 16:48
Quote:
M5 Shark

Irish last year and that wasnít with a bonus point.

Yareet (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 16:53
5th!

29 December, 2018 16:55
Quote:
davsharkMKII
Quote:
romanfaithfull

He was hobbling unassisted just as the camera cut away, would he be able to with a tear? Im no expert

Ah yeah I wrote that before I saw him sit down, would guess it's probably a strain at most now, looked to be quite painful and certainly heard him shout out!

jocktheshark (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 16:58
Hi all.

What a game! Great confidence shown throughout the team.

Highlights for me-
James's offload for Ashy's try.
O'Connors running line and hand off to Faf.
New away Kit- red shocks/blue shirt FTW.

TBH lots of positives to talk about. Kinda wish I made this my first away trip. But hopefully I'll have a great time in Connacht.

Slight worries,

JLDP injury- Looks like a hammy. He was looking very dejected. But on the bright side may make it easier for us to sign him based on an 6-10 week injury layoff.

Forward Subs- 77 minutes! In a game where we have a 20 point lead from the 60 ish mins. Harrison and Co are troopers.

Ref- Young ref learning his trade and players feel the need to "educate" him.

All in all great result. Really positive play. Lets get these contracts announced!

clutch (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 17:01
JLDP the biggest difference for me. Not in terms of ability but he adds that tight physicality that we lack. Crucial away from home. I enjoyed our constant cheating as well. Highlight was crowd singing ďsame old Sale, always cheatingĒ!

Olyy (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 17:04
The Shed really knows no irony (Sm6)

I got a pair of the new "Oddballs" Sale Sharks boxers for Christmas, so I'm dubbing them lucky, after today, and will wear them every match day for the rest of the season.

jocktheshark (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 17:06
As David Hockney put it.

"The moment you cheat for the sake of beauty, you know you're an artist". winking smiley

Please wash those pants between games Olyy.

Olyy (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 17:17
Quote:
jocktheshark
Please wash those pants between games Olyy.

And wash the magic off? I think not!

jocktheshark (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 17:22
Fair enough.

At least wear them on your head and air them out. Think of the attendance levels.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 17:27
JLdP really has made a massive difference. He's the big physical carrier we have been missing. Gives us go forward that we lacked

Hope the injury is not too bad. We really need him fit for the rest of his short stay

Awesome win

Crutch (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 17:28
Easily the best present this Christmas.

Amazing 😃😃😃😃😃

LJK (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 17:29
Great result... thought it would be close but a win away with a bonus point which have been elusive so far this season was unexpected. The radio commentators applauded Sale's defence which is proving very robust this year, and for once we get a high score as well.
Will be 7th by the end of the weekend, but very happy with that at the half way point in the season, given the poor start.
Hope the injury to du Preez is not too serious.
Happy start to the New Year!

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 17:38
7th at the halfway point after our early season form is very pleasing and recent form even more so. Still got RJvR to come back as well

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/12/2018 18:25 by ashtonshark.

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 17:52
Unusually wanting wasps to score to get the draw!

wrinklieshark (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 18:33
Match report from the Guardian

[www.theguardian.com]

Braz (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 18:39
Quote:
wrinklieshark
[www.theguardian.com]

Sport hacks really are a desperate bunch nowadays.

Delighted with the win, irrespective of how the press Corp want to spin it.

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 18:41
Quote:
wrinklieshark
[www.theguardian.com]

And it appears from that report that Dimes had a run in with at excuse for a journo who slagged his off as he couldnít connect his abacus to WiFi a few months ago...

Never a dull moment.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 19:06
Surbiton - the description of the article as ďhighly criticalĒ doesnít being to cover it. He basically accused Diamond of knowingly forcing injured and concussed players to keep playing and directing his medical staff as accomplices in said acts. So itís unsurprising that in their first encounter since, he might have been a bit unhappy.

wrinklieshark (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 19:19
Quote:
Olyy
The Shed really knows no irony (Sm6)

I got a pair of the new "Oddballs" Sale Sharks boxers for Christmas, so I'm dubbing them lucky, after today, and will wear them every match day for the rest of the season.

And the team should stick with the red/white/blue combo too. Much better(and perhaps luckier) than either the home or away strips!

Yareet (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 19:45
Quote:
LJK
Great result... thought it would be close but a win away with a bonus point which have been elusive so far this season was unexpected. The radio commentators applauded Sale's defence which is proving very robust this year, and for once we get a high score as well.
Will be 7th by the end of the weekend, but very happy with that at the half way point in the season, given the poor start.

Have I got my maths wrong? If Bath and Tigers draw tomorrow, theyíll both join us and Wasps on 25 points. However, the table will stay as it is as we (and Wasps) have more wins.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 20:01
Quote:
Yareet
Quote:
LJK

Have I got my maths wrong? If Bath and Tigers draw tomorrow, theyíll both join us and Wasps on 25 points. However, the table will stay as it is as we (and Wasps) have more wins.

Spot on, was about to say the same.

LJK (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 21:34
Delighted if Bath V Tigers is a draw, but how likely is that to one of them getting the four points.? Great to be mixing it again with these clubs anyway.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 21:49
Just watched the short highlights on the BT Sport app.

For their first try there looked to be a blatant take out on Jono Ross which put him out of position for their overlap. By the same token, and here comes a possibly unpopular opinion, I actually think Fafís challenge on 36 to force the knock on that led to Dennyís try was illegal. Under the new laws for player welfare, the upright tackle is being targeted and they appeared to clash heads. With Faf already having had a yellow card, he might arguably have been sent off.

But he wasnít, so itís immaterial in the context of the game. What a stonking victory and hats off to all the fans who made the journey and sang their hearts out. Two huge victories over the festive period and hereís to a proper tilt at Sarries next week.

Flumpty (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 22:11
Flumpty Jnr and me are now home after a long day out to Castle Grim.

from 10 - zero down and things looking quite (Castle) Grim, to bonus point try (with one disallowed for good measure), it was a cracking day out.
Full house, good food, cracking rugby (& the Honey Badger wiping out 26 in front of us), what more could you want ?

The Glaws fans that we talked to post match were graceful in defeat (none looked like cyclops, or had 3 hands/6 fingers, so not sheddites) and complimentary about "the number" that Sale had just done on them.
We tried to work out a Sale MOM and failed miserably - all players of the pitch gave it their all and we couldn't distinguish a clear winner.

A happy (long) day out.

p.s. once Reflikf started working, as ever it was interesting listening to the refs interactions with the captains and players

MartWhit (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 23:58
Letís be clear, faf canít taxkle head to head with anyone. Heís more likely to bite them on the nuts.

This game is a potential season maker. But only if we follow through. Weíre on the right side of the mid table separation now, and our form after frankly messing up the first 4 games is very solid.

Braz (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 08:00
Just watched the highlights. Faf's tackle was fine, of clumsy. Our play with ball in hand was exceptional and the pack were really abrasive. It was very pleasing to see just how much the lads were playing for one another as well.

30 December, 2018 08:53
Quote:
StalyShark
Quote:
M5 Shark

Irish last year and that wasnít with a bonus point.

Wasnít it Saints away which was around March ?

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 09:31
MartWhit - are you forgetting his clash of heads with Cips at the end of the epic Wasps game last season? It isnít clear that they make head to head contact, all I was trying to say was that on viewing, another ref mightíve taken a very different view of it. And probably would, given the inconsistency of how the law is applied at present.

Olyy (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 10:09
Fafs tackle was legal, just mental/reckless. The commitment he shows on the pitch is ludicrous.

I wouldn't be surprised to see world rugby tweak the laws, in the future, to outlaw head clashes in the case of poor tackle technique but as it stands it's fine

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 10:28
Iím pretty sure Iíve seen comment to the effect of outlawing an upright tackle being on the cards.

Crutch (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 10:49
If they do itíll create another potential area of accidental contact leading to disproportionate sanctions.

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 10:52
Couple of rugby related questions. Was Denny actually in touch when he somehow passed the ball back into one of the SA brothers for a try? Iím not sure on the rule - the ball was over the line but Denny was in the air?

Was JOCís pass actually forward to Luke at the end? The tv replay wasnít so good.

Olyy (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 10:59
Quote:
Surbiton Shark
Couple of rugby related questions. Was Denny actually in touch when he somehow passed the ball back into one of the SA brothers for a try? Iím not sure on the rule - the ball was over the line but Denny was in the air?
Was JOCís pass actually forward to Luke at the end? The tv replay wasnít so good.

I didn't think Denny was, for my eyes the replay showed his knee hadn't touched the floor before he offloaded.

I didn't think JOC passed forwards - did he throw it directly backwards over his head? Didn't see the replays for that one so maybe he had been turned around in the tackle so throwing backwards over his head was actually forwards

Sussex Shark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 11:28
For me Denny wasn't in touch, and showed great hands for what would have been a walk in for Jean-Luc. However I thought JOC's pass was forward, should have kept it in hand and we could have recycled it but the game was already won so no harm in trying.

HartfordShark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 13:30
The frustrating thing in relation to Denny's offload was that the touch judge called it so quickly. He should've waited for the play to finish (to see if Jean-Luc could score, which he would have) and then reviewed the possible knee in touch. However, thankfully it mattered not in the context of the game.

Incidentally, I thought the referee had a really good game and got the big calls right. He'd be welcome at the AJ Bell any time!

Flumpty (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 13:38
Quote:
HartfordShark

Incidentally, I thought the referee had a really good game and got the big calls right.

If you go along to Shedweb, (surprisingly) the sentiment is the same.

clutch (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 14:54
True, surprisingly. Was hoping for a load of whinging!! The touch canít wait when he thinks itís in touch. Heís got his head down. The whole Glouc team stopped so cant guarantee Jean Luc would have scored.

Not sure I agree he had a great game. No review on their try. Awful at scrum time. Harsh yellow against them. He pinged then for off feet, but never us. Inconsistent on rolling away.

Having said that he allowed the game to flow as a result which is the most important thing, so all in all he did pretty well. With Barnes retiring we have a bunch of good young refs coming through, which is pleasing. (Bar Maxwell Keys). Price seems to have disappeared as well so bar JP they are all v young.

Shireshark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 15:20
Quote:
Sussex Shark
For me Denny wasn't in touch, and showed great hands for what would have been a walk in for Jean-Luc. However I thought JOC's pass was forward, should have kept it in hand and we could have recycled it but the game was already won so no harm in trying.

Couldn't agree more re: Denny's pass; at the very least play should have been allowed to continue and, assuming a try was scored, it could have been checked. I suspect any 4th official worth his salt would have allowed the try. With regard to the '5th try' the ball was passed 'backwards' over his head so certainly it was not an obvious forward pass, however, if he had been turned sufficiently in contact the 'backward' pass could certainly have been a forward pass. Personally I didn't think it was, but ultimately it mattered not a jot.

clutch (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 20:27
Not true. He passes it over his head but his shoulders arenít parallel with the try line. Itís indisputably a forward pass. Using the old measure his hands clearly go forward. In fairness I did have to check again, itís bloomin difficult at times sometimes!!!

No less forward than Danny Care first game of the season.

Re the touch. Heís looking at the floor and puts his flag up. He canít be expected to check if a try is scored each time before putting the flag up. The players stop anyway so may not have been a try.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net