rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Post match fracas?
29 December, 2018 19:49
Sam Peters (Sunday Times rugby writer) posted on Twitter this evening...

"I can confirm an altercation took place between me and Steve Diamond after he Ďoffered me outí tonight. Iíll recount in full at right time. Safe to say more play school than old school from a man I consider to be nothing more than a narcissistic bully."

His only other rugby-related tweet today was from the match...

"Diamond's screaming at any official within earshot, Dorian West doing likewise. The world's against them, of course. I must be covering Sale again."

Many will remember the article from earlier this season about the Diamond culture at Sale. Suffice to say, these two have history! Hope it was nothing serious.

Re: Post match fracas?
ale shark (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 20:08
Sounds like he has an agenda to bang on about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2018 23:51 by ale shark.

Olyy (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 20:23
This Sam Peters sounds like a prize @#$%&, tbh. Not surprised he got called out after printing his character assassination earlier in the year.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 20:34
Iím one of the few not to have been blocked by Stephen Jones on twitter and heís wading in in support of Peters under the flag of the latterís crusade for player safety and welfare. Which is very important but very different to the assassination he used his column for. If he had hard evidence then it should be presented to the authorities and if that meant consequences for Dimes, I donít think any of us would defend him.

Olyy (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 20:46
Tinpot clickbait journos have to stick together

brilin (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 21:31
What a w*#"e@. I doubt if he knows where the AJB is, and I doubt if he would be made welcome if he managed to find it! Stay South of Birmingham where your drivel might be appreciated.

The other 'arf

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 21:54
I think Sam Peters was at AJ Bell earlier in the season. Was it just before he wrote the original article about SD?

Weirdly, i think he (or someone did) criticised the lack of working wifi in the press box which presumably was the responsibility of Swanny, but now overseen by young Sam Diamond(?)

MikeGC (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 21:55
Quote:
brilin
What a w*#"e@. I doubt if he knows where the AJB is, and I doubt if he would be made welcome if he managed to find it! Stay South of Birmingham where your drivel might be appreciated.

Peters has reported from the AJB.
The "troubles" started after his complaint (in print) about the poor WiFi in the press area.
It'll be interesting to see whether the RFU will want to get involved

neiljk (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 22:10
So is your DoR offering someone outside remotely acceptable? The Peters article seems to me to be a reporting on the fact, which Dimes has reinforced by his reported behaviour. Even if the reporter has had a pop, lets be fair its not a great look for Dimes.

Olyy (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 22:13
Quote:
M5 Shark
I think Sam Peters was at AJ Bell earlier in the season. Was it just before he wrote the original article about SD?
Weirdly, i think he (or someone did) criticised the lack of working wifi in the press box which presumably was the responsibility of Swanny, but now overseen by young Sam Diamond(?)

None of the other journos that day had any issues with the wifi (and said as such on social media), so either he's a liar in saying we don't offer wifi to journos, or he's too stupid to turn Wi-Fi on his laptop on

clutch (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 22:17
I think everyone is being very kind. Tomorrow should be about a great away win. Sale starting to build/sign new players and kick on. Instead the headlines will be Dimes being a @#$%&. I donít care how objectionable Peters is, donít offer him out like a child in a playground. It makes him look bad, and it makes the club less attractive to potential signings or sponsors. I love Dimes abrasive style most of the time but sometimes he needs to reign it in.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 22:18
Iím sure Peters is loving the narrative of being ďoffered outĒ. In another light, wanting to air your differences with someone outside of the formal press conference might be seen as a sensible thing to do. But because itís bluff old school Dimes, it makes great copy to insinuate he wanted a fight. The article was a hatchet job.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 22:35
Got the full house now - Fissler wading in to defend his friend.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 23:52
I donít think dimes should have risen to it. But Peters started this several weeks ago, and reopened it today with a smart @#$%& mid March post. His behaviour is unprofessional, and quite how the times is willing to publish a match report from someone who is intrinsically biased against one of the 2 sides heís reporting on I do not know.

Rubz (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 00:49
Quote:
Olyy
This Sam Peters sounds like a prize @#$%&, tbh. Not surprised he got called out after printing his character assassination earlier in the year.

Interesting interpretation. I'd say it actually makes Dimes sound like the 'prize @#$%&'. And, sadly, with all his previous, it sounds highly likely and highly predictable. Maybe time to resurrect the previous Dimes thread after the initial article by Peters, if it was returned to the site after being removed by a moderator...

Rubz (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 01:07
Tigger - is it possible to re-instate the previous Dimes thread following Peters' initial article please? You posted on 2/10/18 that you had taken it down due to a 'sock puppet' and would re-instate it shortly, but I can't find it back on the site. Thanks smiling smiley

ale shark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 01:47
The September Independent article for context:

[www.independent.co.uk]

MarchingIn (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 01:52
Great result for Sale should be the focus, personally I reckon somebody has it in for your club. The truth about what was really said or what they did will never out, but mud sticks.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 09:13
BBC journalist Dan Roan now retweeting a video of the incident

ale shark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 09:25
Well I think we can all draw our own conclusions from that.

Based on that and his tweet during the match mine is that the journo is a massive spanner.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 09:26
Itís here in the Telegraph site:

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

This appears to be after Dimes wanted to discuss it away from the press conference and supposedly had grabbed the recorder. Peters doesnít come off well in this (admittedly incomplete) exchange.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2018 09:27 by Pappje Shark.

camshark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 09:35
Shame if this distracts from a fantastic team performance, a bonus point win at Gloucester, who are third in the table.

For what itís worth the video clip is pretty embarrassing all round, clearly Dimes was annoyed , told the reporter to take his hand off him and to Ď go away Ď at least 15 times, whilst the reporter ranted on about Dines being a bully .

Monty9 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 09:40
Quote:
ale shark
Based on that and his tweet during the match mine is that the journo is a massive spanner.

Completely agree Ale, massive tool.

iBozz (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 09:58
<ed>Unfortunately, a bug in the rugbynetwork software means that we cannot reinstate threads that have been deleted, temporarily hidden or otherwise removed from the forum whether deliberately or by accident - fat fingers on my iPad in my case! sad smiley We have tried but, alas, to no avail.</ed>

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2018 10:28 by iBozz.

Olyy (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 10:11
So he lied in his original article, and he lied about this incident (which there is video evidence of).

Talk about journalistic integrity. I doubt it's in Dimes nature but I hope the club informs his employer what a venomous little BSer he is.

clutch (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 10:29
Why did he lie?

Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 10:32
I do think the Journalist was asking for it and is more in the wrong than Diamond.

BUT I wonder how many on here who are defending Diamond, gave Cockers a lot of grieve for when he did similar at Tigers?

ale shark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 10:44
Not sure many are actively defending Dimes, he was out of order, just pointing out that the journalist has a preconceived agenda and would rather send dismissive tweets during the game that he is supposed to be covering than ask any questions in the press conference after it.

The guy is a massive div and itís pretty embarrassing that his personal grievances take precedence over a balanced match report in the national press.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2018 23:49 by ale shark.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 10:58
For info, after Peters wrote his article and commented on the hard winter the players were about to face, the record is as follows:

League P7 W4 D1 L2 (Tigers away the following week, Sarries away)
Europe P4 W3 L1

If you add in the Prem Rugby Cup, I think weíre P3 W1 D1 L1.

But of top level games, P11 W7 D1 L3 is a pretty good record. The team is getting better and better. Maybe whatever was said and done after the Wasps game worked!

ballsout (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 11:25
Regardless of the journo, Diamond is a helmet. Had a pop at Peters first and often is unprofessional to the media. Once said ď#%*% emĒ before refusing to interview after a loss. Out of touch dinosaur

Monty9 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 12:17
We live in a nation where people generally dislike and disbelieve journalists but people like Ballsout have an issue with someone been ďunprofessionalĒ to the media. Hmmmm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2018 12:21 by Monty9.

23Shark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 12:24
Quote:
ballsout
Regardless of the journo, Diamond is a helmet. Had a pop at Peters first and often is unprofessional to the media. Once said ď#%*% emĒ before refusing to interview after a loss. Out of touch dinosaur

Don't you have a Bath forum to troll? Run along now

IOL Shark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 12:31
Quote:
ballsout
Heís actually got quite a good and professional relationship with most of the media, just not this guy. And we donít know the full background - sounds like they both have something to answer for! Diamond is a loose cannon when stirred, but unfortunately thatís his nature and is unlikely to change.
However:
1. He has the respect of the players (young and experienced) and is demonstrated in how many are currently committing to the team long-term.
2. Heís an exceptional recruiter, bringing in players of a quality that should be well above the influence of Sale.
3. He has been core to one of the best academyís in professional rugby that ensures Sale will not just survive but thrive for many years in the future (just look at the U18ís and the number of England players we provide).
He may be a dinosaur when it comes to the media and how other teams see him, but heís our dinosaur and Iím happy that we have him!

Monty9 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 13:03
SD gets a hard time and he has made himself a target in many ways and I know everyone on this board is whiter than white but personally if that had of been me and that chopper of a journalist was in my face like that I would have been much less restraint

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 13:09
Watching that clip, if anyone should be in trouble with their governing body, it is the journo, certainly not SD.

MarchingIn (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 13:42
I'm no fan of Diamond, but he's exactly the kind of DoR a club on the Northern fringes of the 15 man game without the budget or attendances the top Midland & Southern sides enjoy needs. For a club like Sale to succeed you need a stubborn combative DoR who will foster a siege mentality and a "no backward steps" attitude - that's how you build a squad full of controversial combative characters like Solomona & Ashton who can roll up at a full & vocal Kingsholm and tear Gloucester to bits, and ensure nobody looks forward to an away trip to Sale even if you're 12th.

Diamond wouldn't be the man for the job at Welford Road, The Stoop, The Rec, or Franklin's Gardens, but he is great for Sale & I hope the fans and club realise this and stand behind him. The journo is a prize plank, and a liar - the video shows both.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 16:07
Well, Sam Peters has had his say:

[www.independent.co.uk]

I struggle to believe he actually thought physical violence was a possibility, as for Dimes to have done so would almost certain have ended his tenure given the length of ban from rugby he would receive. It suggests that the clip posted by the Telegraph only captures Dimes attempting to make it look like he was the victim once he realised it was being filmed. Peters also suggests he didnít ask any questions as he didnít think heíd get any quotes for the back pages so just concentrated on writing his match report. Leaving aside the technicality that the ST is a broadsheet with its own sports section and a Dimes quote would never be anywhere near the front or back pages on a day when Liverpool stuffed Arsenal, Iím not convinced by this argument - you can ask questions about tactics or outcomes to inform your report without needing direct quotes.

The upshot is Peters is considering whether to lodge a complaint with the RFU. Oh how magnanimous heíll be if he doesnít.

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 16:24
The latest recording released by Peters and the associated article does paint Diamond as the aggressor, and by god he does sound like a lout.

I donít totally trust Peters, but the recording lends context to the video and it does cover the conversation which clearly. I sense Peters may have goaded Diamond intentionally and probably loves the attention, but thatís not an excuse.

More worryingly, there is some mention of Diamonds behaviour on the touchline. On the Bet365 feed, he could be seen on two occasions to be lambasting he 4th official, so it wouldnít surprise me if the Assertions made are in fact true.

What worries me is that he is so involved with the club, and despite what he may do for us, he seems to consistently get involved in these incidents and he is tainting the clubs reputation and image.

Dan Mugford has also tweeted saying that this behaviour isnít surprising and also says he has first hand experience of mistreated HIAs...

A fantastic win clouded.

2007dwain (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 16:26
Dan Mugford has now come out in support of the guy saying he experienced bullying at sale and the HIA thing scared him during his time with us

bigfecker (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 16:42
Quote:
2007dwain
Dan Mugford has now come out in support of the guy saying he experienced bullying at sale and the HIA thing scared him during his time with us

This is the same Dan Mugford who Dimes gave a Premiership chance too. Mugford does have medical issues and he has my sympathies, but he needs to think about what he is posting.

Shireshark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 16:51
He said, she said.. It's like a bad (like there is any such thing as a good) divorce. Define facts in this age of (anti) social media...... For the record, I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of the mouth of a 'respected member of the press'. They can't even report a fact when they're given the facts.

plzd (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 16:51
Quote:
clutch
I think everyone is being very kind. Tomorrow should be about a great away win. Sale starting to build/sign new players and kick on. Instead the headlines will be Dimes being a @#$%&. I donít care how objectionable Peters is, donít offer him out like a child in a playground. It makes him look bad, and it makes the club less attractive to potential signings or sponsors. I love Dimes abrasive style most of the time but sometimes he needs to reign it in.
could not agree more the man is a moron

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 16:52
Quote:
bigfecker
Quote:
2007dwain

This is the same Dan Mugford who Dimes gave a Premiership chance too. Mugford does have medical issues and he has my sympathies, but he needs to think about what he is posting.

Sorry but really?

1) the fact someone gives someone an opportunity, doesnít preclude the person from criticising the person who helped them out.

2) Medical issues, ie him suffering depression, doesnít prevent him from having a honest opinion. Are you saying that heís wrong / lying / misremembering? Or are you saying that heís just being potentially libellous, because it reads badly.

3) Realistically, even if Mugford didnít like Dimes because he got the chop from the side, it doesnít mean that heís only saying it because of that.

Itís hugely worrying that this is being said by Mugford

Crutch (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 17:03
Iím more inclined to give credence to the opinion of the large number of players happy to re-sign with the club and who say the club atmosphere is great. You really think weíd have such good camaraderie if the coaches were mistreating the players??

WiganSaler (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 17:31
Journos of Peters ilk are self serving publicists, not particularly interested in the truth. As for calling Dimes a narcissistic bully, isn't there a saying about it takes one... Sounds like a bit of a set up to me. Disturb the @#$%&, sling it and some of it will stick.

--------------------------------------------------
Wigan "Home for the Bewildered"

Fully paid up member of the LSSSSC.
"Long Suffering Sale Sharks Supporters Club"

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 18:14
The UK Sport investigations in to bullying accusations against National Governing Bodies have been in the press over the last 18 months.

Swanny keeps getting bought up too, another mention on Telegraphs earlier tweet
[mobile.twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2018 18:16 by M5 Shark.

clutch (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 19:12
Whoever is at fault it is rather ugly and not painting the club in the best light. Even if Peters is 100% BS if I was a potential player, eg a South African international I would be put off. I suppose the positive words from Faf will help in that, but what about players with no connections, direct or indirect, with the club and Dimes. Cooper Woolley, assuming he signs would have spoken to Taylor etc.

Re Mugford his mental health is irrelevant. He does however, as has been made clear before, have an issue with the way he was treated at Sale. Iíd take more interest if a player who came and went without issue was speaking against him. Hines for example.

McSaracens (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 19:18
Firstly, a superb win yesterday - congrats.

As for Diamond, heís nothing short of a disgrace. Back in the early 2000ís there were always rumours of bullying whilst at Saracens and at the time there were certainly more than rumours of some pretty unsavoury incidents involving Diamond and his playing squad. He has always been a bully and a thug, both as a player and a coach. I was always uneasy whilst he was coach at my club, Iím glad his thugary has finally been called out by Peters.

ďI believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.Ē - Nils Mordt

Shireshark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 19:25
Quote:
McSaracens
Firstly, a superb win yesterday - congrats.
As for Diamond, heís nothing short of a disgrace. Back in the early 2000ís there were always rumours of bullying whilst at Saracens and at the time there were certainly more than rumours of some pretty unsavoury incidents involving Diamond and his playing squad. He has always been a bully and a thug, both as a player and a coach. I was always uneasy whilst he was coach at my club, Iím glad his thugary has finally been called out by Peters.

Oh dear...... There were also 'rumours' of what your very rich owner was up to, to beat the 'wage cap rules'. People in glass houses and all that.

Lutterworth Shark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 19:28
Dimes actions risk a points deduction if the RFU decide to investigate and find him guilty of bringing the game into disrepute. They said as much the last time he was in front of them for his behaviour at that time. We can't continue to be on the 'rugby pages' for the wrong reasons. At how many other Premiership Rugby Clubs do you see the Head Coach/DoR being highlighted in the media for their actions/comments on match days as often as ours is?

McSaracens (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 19:30
Lovely deflection tactics Shireshark. Letís take the debate back to your coach.

ďI believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.Ē - Nils Mordt

Olyy (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 19:33
If we get points deducted because of some shithouse journo with an axe to grind then all is lost in this sport.

The state of rugby media is already a farce, if they know they can drag people's names through the mud and publicly goad them into a reaction, resulting in the clubs getting points reduced, it'll only get worse.

Interesting to see that current RFU citing comissioner Duncan Bell is firmly on Dimes side, though. As is every other non-media rugby figure that I've seen. The media are circling their wagons and blowing this out of all preportion, everyone else can see Peters for what he really is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2018 19:36 by Olyy.

Shireshark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 19:44
No deflection tactics here. I was playing on the word rumours. Guilty til proven innocent was my implication, or perhaps it was yours McSaracens? Oh and, for the record, I don't recall Mr Wray being found guilty of anything. Hmmmmm.... A point for reflection perhaps?

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 19:49
Just a thought but in most others circumstances, Peters would have been removed by security staff
Perhaps PR / the stadium were failing in their duty of care to protect Dimes....

McSaracens (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 19:56
Shireshark, please explain how you can defend Diamond? A man with a track record of criticising referees, intimating journalists and worst of all putting Dan Mugfordís health at risk through his head injury. Your club could do so much better than Diamond.

Olyy (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 20:01
Your club could do so much better than employing violent scumbags like Callum Clarke and Schalck Burger, but that's none of our business

Shireshark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 20:02
Where exactly have I defended Mr. Diamond? I suspect the deflection tactics are of your own making. I simply suggested innocent until proven guilty. Last time I looked that was the law in this country, unless, of course, you happen to be driving a motorised vehicle.

McSaracens (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 20:13
Lovely stuff Olly, really adding to the debate with that one.

Yes, innocent until proven guilty but there is a pattern here:

2011 - 12 week ban
2012 - 18 week ban
2016 - Public criticism of the HIA
2018 - Involved in a post match spat with a journalist

Worst of all for Diamond is the criticism that has come out today from Dan Mugford.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2018 20:15 by McSaracens.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 20:13
Quote:
Shireshark
He said, she said.. It's like a bad (like there is any such thing as a good) divorce. Define facts in this age of (anti) social media...... For the record, I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of the mouth of a 'respected member of the press'. They can't even report a fact when they're given the facts.
Quote:
Where exactly have I defended Mr. Diamond?
Maybe Mr Saracens mistook the first quotation as being in support of Mr. Diamond.

McSaracens (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 20:14
Correct Dave, thanks.

clutch (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 20:14
Violent scumbags!! Really. Clark was a right idiot when younger but heís been fine for ages!! Burger was done for gouging wasnít he, but Sale have signed players convicted of similar I recall.

Olyy (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 20:21
Callum Clarke intentionally broke another players arm.
It wasn't like it was a punchup or something, he grabbed the arm of a trapped player and bent it backwards until it snapped.
He should have been banned from the sport for life.

Crutch (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 20:32
Iíve not read or watched any of this latest stuff, but thereís numerous other DoRís who have made similar comments about refs in the past and were not given similar bans, so I think the past record is a red herring.

This journo and Dan Mugford clearly have an agenda so Iím not really interested in what they have to say. If an independent body decides thereís an issue then fair enough.

Braz (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 20:52
If there's one thing hacks love it's talking about one another, it's the reason street of shame is consistently the biggest section in Private Eye. This is no different, a nothing incident blown out of proportion because the bored pack that have to cover rugby sniff a scoop. Dimes needs to wind it In, but, equally, this toad of a hack needs to be brought to task because sports journalists consistently get away with murder without reproach.

clutch (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 21:35
Mr Swanton covering himself in glory mocking someone for being overweight now&#129318;&#127995;&#8205;&#9794;&#65039;

30 December, 2018 21:42
Quote:
Braz
If there's one thing hacks love it's talking about one another, it's the reason street of shame is consistently the biggest section in Private Eye. This is no different, a nothing incident blown out of proportion because the bored pack that have to cover rugby sniff a scoop. Dimes needs to wind it In, but, equally, this toad of a hack needs to be brought to task because sports journalists consistently get away with murder without reproach.

I didn't see what led up to the incident but to be fair to Dimes from the clip that I watched, he continually backed away from Peters an told him to go away repeatedly - surely that has to be 'winding it in'

I think that most of us would have had a pop at him, given the level of persistent provocation

clutch (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 21:42
Olly, that doesnít explain your Burger comment.
It was a horrible incident but there is room for serving the ban and coming back. Heís been idiot free for ages. Sarries wouldnít have taken a chance on him if he wasnít. Plus itís a bit overly simplistic to say he deliberately set out to break his arm. Itís in the middle of a rugby match. I doubt his thoughts were that calm and calculated. Only he would know the answer to that one now.

Either way, violent scumbag is hardly fair. That would apply to plenty of ex Sale players Iím sure. We had Dawe and Diamond in the same squad at one point!!

Braz (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 21:50
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark
Quote:
Braz

I didn't see what led up to the incident but to be fair to Dimes from the clip that I watched, he continually backed away from Peters an told him to go away repeatedly - surely that has to be 'winding it in'

I think that most of us would have had a pop at him, given the level of persistent provocation

I meant generally in his angry old man act, I'm very much on Dimes side on this particular incident.

Olyy (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 21:57
Quote:
clutch
Olly, that doesnít explain your Burger comment.
It was a horrible incident but there is room for serving the ban and coming back. Heís been idiot free for ages. Sarries wouldnít have taken a chance on him if he wasnít. Plus itís a bit overly simplistic to say he deliberately set out to break his arm. Itís in the middle of a rugby match. I doubt his thoughts were that calm and calculated. Only he would know the answer to that one now.

Either way, violent scumbag is hardly fair. That would apply to plenty of ex Sale players Iím sure. We had Dawe and Diamond in the same squad at one point!!

Watch the clip on YouTube, Clarke knew exactly what he was doing.

I have no love for Burger going all the way back to his attempted blinding of Luke Fitzgerald, and the lack of remorse shown in the aftermath.

clutch (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 22:20
I donít need to watch the clip. Iíve seen it. Itís horrible. One of the worst incidents Iíve seen. But whatever, heís served his time. Forgive and forget and all that!

clutch (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 22:20
Iíve now watched the clip!

iBozz (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 23:09
<ed>There are several allegations on this thread of a supposed connection between the journalist involved and a former employee, of a sockpuppet who may or may not be connected with a former employee, of the integrity and personality of several people at Sale and other Clubs and a number of assertions about individuals.

Debate about the OP incident and any peripheral matters to which the discussion might reasonably lead are fine, but unfounded and potentially libellous statements, allegations and assertions are not.

Please confine your posts to reasonable discussion and ensure that they conform to rugbyís core values.</ed>

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

iBozz (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 23:24
Quote:
clutch
Iíve now watched the clip!

The clip which I have just watched seems to start with an allegation by Dimes that the journalist has ďlaid his handĒ on him (it isnít very clear) and Dimes is telling him somewhat forcefully not to do it again. Thereafter, he seems merely to be repeatedly telling the journalist to ďgo awayĒ.

Now I donít know if there are extended clips somewhere which show what led up to the start of that clip but, based on what I can see there, I canít see what all the fuss is about. Yes Dimes could perhaps have phrased his irritation a tad more diplomatically.

Iíll now await all the inevitable brickbats but it seems to me that mountains are being made out of molehills!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2018 23:27 by iBozz.

clutch (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 01:07
I was talking about the Clarke clip btw!

FlyingFin (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 08:14
Is that it? I can only echo previous posters. I think SD shows remarkable restraint whilst the journalist seems to be the one losing it; aggressive posturing, finger pointing, shouting abuse and being gently escorted out.

Penalty Try (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 08:53
This is the perfect excuse for Sale Sharks to terminate Dimes' contract.

Let's hope someone has the balls to follow through with this and allow the club to move forward without Steve's shadow hovering over us!

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 09:01
Quote:
Penalty Try
Let's hope someone has the balls to follow through with this and allow the club to move forward without Steve's shadow hovering over us!

Why do you want to terminate Dimes contract?

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 09:03
Quote:
Penalty Try

If we need an "excuse", any excuse, then that would surely be strong evidence that the dismissal was unfair.

31 December, 2018 09:30
So you want to get rid of the DOR who brought in and resigned the best 9 in the premiership and is resigning all of our best players and building a team around them.
A team that went to castle grim and gave Glos a hiding on Saturday
Are you nuts?

iBozz (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 10:07
Quote:
clutch

OK, fair enough, I am unaware of the Clarke clip and have never seen it.

If a journalist with an apparent axe to grind came at me like the Dimesí video incident then Iím not sure that Iíd have been so restrained as was Dimes - I suspect that the gentle repetition of ďgo awayĒ would have been replaced by a splaterring of good old fashioned Anglo-Saxon oaths and curses.

Based solely on the Telegraph video itís a storm in a teacup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/12/2018 10:58 by iBozz.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 10:21
I think thereís audio of the initial encounter before the video, perhaps on the Indieís article that Peters wrote.

FWIW, Flatman and Durden-Smith covered it on the highlights programme and basically called it embarrassing for those involved and distracting from the rugby.

It has come out that Dan Mugford has some opinions on his own experience but I donít believe he was trying to settle a score. The major problem in my view is that Sam Peters is merging his work on concussion and player safety into a disdain for Dimes that affects his match reporting. Tweeting mid match about Dimes attitude is letting a personal gripe get in the way of impartial match reporting. Dimes may eff and blind a lot, possibly excessively, but to insinuate that this is the same as putting peopleís health in danger is dangerous ground. The two may both be true in isolation but one is not a consequence of the other.

For those who didnít see his comments on twitter, Dan M commented that in a game where he came off for an HIA and Dimes was reportedly voicing his displeasure at the decision, DM then spent a night in hospital being sick and fitting.

Again though, I go back to my original point that the Sam Peters hatchet job predicted a terrible winter for the team, whereas in fact results have been very good and our key players are signing up for more. Heís entitled to his opinion that Dimes is a bully and he might be right, but he clearly canít be objective about him or the club now so shouldnít cover Sale games for the foreseeable future.

H's D (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 11:23
FWIW I also thought Flatman's comments were spot-on.
The 'Alpha male' Dimes needs to 'rein it in a bit'.
Sam Peters is, as Flatman indicated, just doing his job wrt commenting on the regime at Sale in relation to promoting player safety and has targeted Dimes as specifically being at odds with a more modern approach.
Pappje, whilst i concurr with much of your post, your last two paragraphs explain the situation perfectly. In one sense they tend to explain the reason for the original article.
Dime's apparent comments wrt the medical decision on Dan Mugford were lacking maturity* and objectivity. If Sam Peters has an agenda, so does Dimes. It's a very embarassing agenda for the club wrt "bullying", on-field injury and player welfare.

It really was not the time for 'Panto' and trying to make the point that Sale were playing very well under his regime. It detracted from a very good team performance.

A special mention for John Everton in positioning himself between two very angry embarrassing individuals.

Do the ends ever justify the means?

Quote:
Indie
ďAll you need now is a slap on the head and they (medics) have you off the field for 13 minutes,Ē Diamond said. ďI donít know where weíre going with it.Ē

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 31/12/2018 12:09 by H's D.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 11:52
Quote:
iBozz
Quote:
clutch

OK, fair enough, I am unaware of the Clarke clip and have never seen it.

If a journalist with an apparent axe to grind came at me like the Dimesí video incident then Iím not sure that Iíd have been so restrained as was Dimes - I suspect that the gentle repetition of ďgo awayĒ would have been replaced by a splaterring of good old fashioned Anglo-Saxon oaths and curses.

Based solely on the Telegraph video itís a storm in a teacup.
In the Telegraph it says "I began to film the end of the heated discussion..." It does give more background to what went on in text. Voice recorders were running, so presumably more detail will come out in due course.

Ben Coles also goes on to say that it is difficult to imagine another DOR being involved in a similar situation. Unfortunately, he is correct: Dimes is the only one who seems to be a serial offender. Like it or not, and make all the excuses for him that you want, but Dimes is not good at handling situations when his gander is up. His record shows this. No doubt all people, even journalists, have their moments but Mr. Diamond does seem to have more than most.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 12:30
Hís D: I still that conflates two issues. The original piece was written ostensibly as a match report after the Wasps defeat and specifically commented on Dimesí comments as to training on the following Monday to predict a long, hard winter. It was a bleak piece that then segued into the attack on Dimes. Thereís no denying that some of the points raised are genuine cause for concern. The fact is that what he predicted would happen hasnít come to pass.

Improving the whole culture of HIA and head shots needs to be dealt with and is. Dimes isnít the only person in the spotlight here, not that thatís an excuse. I do believe though that there needs to be a separation of that issue and training and match methods. Peters deliberately linked them to suit his argument but subsequent events havenít borne that out.

H's D (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 13:11
You honestly think this, the original article, was ostensibly written as a match report?(Sm100)
It doesn't even record the final score, team line-ups or scorers!!!!
It's about the "old school" mentality and how it is at odds with the modern game and player safety in my book.
Dime's is his exemplar. For me his prediction of "a long season" for Sale is clearly not only in relation to results but also in relation to the continued bad press with Dimes at the helm. Hence the repeated references to previous incidents.
IMHO it was clearly intended to primarily criticize the Dimes style "Old School" regime and was focussed on him.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 31/12/2018 13:21 by H's D.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 14:35
Fair enough, it canít be called a match report. I do agree that it is a piece aimed at Dimes. Itís a hatchet job, pure and simple.
Nonetheless, the fact remains that the players were apparently due for a longer, harder winter than journalists (Although isnít it interesting that Mr. Beardmore is now very welcome at the club after having been banned from the premises by the previous regime?). The coaches were also singled out as apparently not of the right calibre to coach players to play with skill and intelligence? All barbs thrown out there that havenít been borne out by results on the pitch or the crop of re-signings announced.

Isnít it also pertinent that the medics do remove players when needed as with Dan Mugford in the cited game? I understand why it was unsettling for DM to hear Dimes downplay it and of course itíd be better if Dimes didnít mouth off against the regulations. But itíd be far, far worse if the players werenít being brought off because of pressure from Dimes on the sidelines. The incident cited of Ben Curry in the Wasps game is deliberately framed to suit the context of the article, yet itís perfectly possible to get a bump on the neck without it needing to trigger an HIA. The framing of the barking of instructions down is the same - virtually all head coaches/DoRs sit away from pitchside now and communicate down. A lot of them show emotion too, and maybe thereís a reason some of them sit in glass boxes so their full repertoire of invective canít be heard. Peters knew exactly what he was doing with that article.

23Shark (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 14:51
Quote:
Penalty Try

Dont think it's quite that simple when Dimes part owns Sale Sharks

JohnJ of HM (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 15:36
Am I alone in thinking that it would be far better if coaches/*DORs were not interviewed immediately after the match but wait until a suitable time has elapsed i.e. at least an hour. I also see no reason why they should be interviewed during the game. While we are at it, can we get rid of the cameras in the dressing room? That's just voyeurism.

Personally I sit down to watch the television 1 minute before the match starts, use the half-time interval to make a cup of tea and turn off the game as soon as it has finished.
I don't want to watch drinking fans fighting to get seen on TV, behind the interviews.

Ah but I'm old and crankey!

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 16:58
Quote:
JohnJ of HM
... I sit down to watch the television 1 minute before the match starts, use the half-time interval to make a cup of tea and turn off the game as soon as it has finished. ...

So it's not just me then!

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 17:21
Ageing and JohnJ, I agree too. However, it would seem, that this incident happened for other reasons. Rugby at this level has become entertainment business, not just sport. As such non-rugby issues, such as the post-match interview, will always be an important part of the package. If Dimes can't handle it, then someone else should become the mouthpiece. It really is quite simple.

There have been times when posters on here have bemoaned the lack of coverage of Sale Sharks by the media. Has no one actually sat down and wondered why that might be so.

(I came on originally to comment on the game. I have not done so yet because what should have been good news for Sale, isn't quite. In that respect what Sam Peters predicted last September is, in fact, correct.)

buelligansmate (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 17:29
Quote:
JohnJ of HM

Shouldn't that be "old school?(Sm100)

iBozz (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 17:58
Quote:
ageinghoody
Quote:
JohnJ of HM
... I sit down to watch the television 1 minute before the match starts, use the half-time interval to make a cup of tea and turn off the game as soon as it has finished. ...

So it's not just me then!

Quote:
buelligansmate
Quote:
JohnJ of HM

Shouldn't that be "old school?(Sm100)

Me too - certainly Iím old but whether Iím crankey or old school I care not. Possibly, or more likely probably, Iím both but I watch rugby to see rugby, plain and simple.

clutch (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 18:10
No!!! You would miss the delight that is the pitch side interviews with Alex Sanderson. They are a joyeous experience.

23Shark (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 18:18
So he's decided not to persue any further action, guess because he knows nothing would happen seeing as he's been exposed as the aggresor

[url=https://twitter.com/Sam_sportsnews/status/1079795587556483074][/url]

Quote:
Tweet 1 of 2
After consulting friends, colleagues and above all my family, I have decided not to pursue this matter further.
I have made clear my thoughts on Steve Diamond and what I believe to be his persistent bullying behaviour, but have no interest in dragging out the issue.

Quote:
Tweet 2 of 2:
Iím incredibly grateful for all the support I have received in what has been a difficult 48 hours.
I hope Diamond will think twice before attempting to intimidate journalists in the future.

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 18:50
I suppose his future articles, reports, whatever will demonstrate whether he's sincere about not "dragging out the issue".

Although he couldn't help himself making one last jibe could he?

camshark (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 19:29
Maybe, just maybe , he couldn't find anyone willing or able to corroborate his accusations of Dimes' bullying behaviour.
His article in today's 'I' was one of the most cringeworthy pieces of journalism I've read . He should stick to his worthy cause of HIA and player welfare, rather than the gutter journalism he has descended to and his clear vendetta against Dimes. For a 6 foot 3 ex army lieutenant he behaves like a kindergarten brat.
Our illustrious leader is no saint , and should also be more pc , some of his public language is not family friendly.
Hope we can move on , celebrate a great end to our rugby year on the pitch , and look forward to savouring the fantastic news of our re signings.

WiganSaler (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 20:25
Quote:
Ayerzawannabe
I do think the Journalist was asking for it and is more in the wrong than Diamond.
BUT I wonder how many on here who are defending Diamond, gave Cockers a lot of grieve for when he did similar at Tigers?

Yes, you would be correct, out of the same mold methinks. But credit where its due, he's doing a bloody great job up in Edin, never seen him so chilled. I spend a lot of time up there with family and they are my second club. Now I really like Cockers since he left Tigers... funny that isn't it! winking smiley

--------------------------------------------------
Wigan "Home for the Bewildered"

Fully paid up member of the LSSSSC.
"Long Suffering Sale Sharks Supporters Club"

iBozz (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 20:51
Perhaps SD could take some advice from The Daily Mashís Wetherspoons Guide to manners and etiquette:

Quote:
Do not say ďF*ck off, díyou want to take this outside?Ē. Instead say: ďMay we perambulate, sir, to a suitable arena for a pugilistic exchange?Ē

grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/12/2018 20:53 by iBozz.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 22:16
Quote:
camshark
Maybe, just maybe , he couldn't find anyone willing or able to corroborate his accusations of Dimes' bullying behaviour.
..but maybe he could, and actually has. Ben Coles, in the Telegraph, for instance, as regards what happened on the night. We've heard Dan Mugford say he was bullied. Cillian Willis would presumably also say he was bullied into playing, otherwise there wouldn't be an ongoing court case. Others might also say bullying came into the equation.

I have found three without actually looking to hard.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2019 08:13 by DaveAitch.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 22:23
Quote:
23Shark
So he's decided not to persue any further action, guess because he knows nothing would happen seeing as he's been exposed as the aggresor
[url=https://twitter.com/Sam_sportsnews/status/1079795587556483074][/url]

Quote:
Tweet 1 of 2
After consulting friends, colleagues and above all my family, I have decided not to pursue this matter further.
I have made clear my thoughts on Steve Diamond and what I believe to be his persistent bullying behaviour, but have no interest in dragging out the issue.

Quote:
Tweet 2 of 2:
Iím incredibly grateful for all the support I have received in what has been a difficult 48 hours.
I hope Diamond will think twice before attempting to intimidate journalists in the future.
By whom has he been exposed as the aggressor?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net