rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Renewals and extensions
BenHK (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 08:24
With Jono and B Curry having extended their existing contracts, I was wondering whose contracts are expiring this year?

When Ashton signed, there was no mention of the length of the contract, so would imagine he'd be one SD would want to nail down.Is Harrison nailed down on a long term contract? And the James brothers?

Obviously he'll want to sign RdP and JLdP as well.

Re: Renewals and extensions
30 December, 2018 08:52
Think Beaumont is going to be announced at 10 today if Twitter to be believed..Sam Diamond on Supporters Facebook was hinting that the re signing weíve all been waiting for is imminent

HartfordShark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 09:55
Reports in today's Rugby Paper that Leicester are going after the du Preez brothers... Certainly hope we offer them a big inventive to stay at Sale as they've been instrumental in our recent run of good form.

[twitter.com]

BenHK (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 09:56
Looks like we could be fighting Leicester for the signatures of RdP and JLdP. Fingers crossed the SA connection at Sale is enough of a pull to make them stay!

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/rugby-rumours-transfer-news-wasps-2363823

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 10:01
Josh confirmed to 2021. Great news that!

30 December, 2018 10:11
Brilliant news. As for the du Preez brothers, Iíve seen no evidence to suggest Dan has signed for Cheetahs. He follows us and Chiefs on Instagram if this means anything. I think the re signing of Faf is key to all things South African and of course the money. If Faf commits long term ( which I think he will) then we are in with a v good chance of getting them. Only caveat to this may be the 3 brothers want to stay together. If thatís the case have we room/ need for Dan.

If they do decide to go elsewhere I will be disappointed but perhaps this will be tempered by the signing of a du Toit or someone of that ilk??

Olyy (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 10:16
Delighted about Josh! I was sure he'd move on this year - He's in fine form atm and really establishing himself at lock. Great stuff.

Fwiw I've heard the Du Preez brothers to Tigers rumours are bull crap.
JL and R are going to come back to us after SR, not heard any rumours about Dan since he didn't sign short term for Chiefs

HartfordShark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 10:22
Olyy and Newcastle under Lyme, I concur about the du Preez brothers. If we can keep Faf then I think both brothers will likely stay.

Not sure how du Toit would then fit into our potential plans as he prefers playing in the back row (despite playing second row nationally) where we have a host of talented individuals already.

Hopefully Faf re-signing will be Sale's New Year's present to us all and be the catalyst for some other talented Saffas signing up!

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 10:25
Olyy - I believe the aim is to sign them after the RWC, assuming theyíre selected. So if we get them, itíll be Nov/Dec when they come back for us?

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 21:29
Hearing that Faf will be announced shortly

clutch (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 21:36
Sam Diamond is sounding rather confident in a vague sort of way on the members Facebook page!!

Olyy (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 10:00
Faf confirmed until 2023!

Probably the biggest signing we've ever made, imo. Could have walked into any side in the world.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 10:34
Quote:
M5 Shark
Hearing that Faf will be announced shortly

And our next re-signing will be...

Crutch (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 10:39
Almost as big as securing Faf for such a long time is the positive benefit it should have for other re-signings and recruitment, especially from SA.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 10:41
Do the gains of playing South Africans outweigh the EQP payments?

Olyy (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 10:51
Quote:
M5 Shark

Several of our current non-EQP are out of contract this year (Ostrikov, Strauss, Bryn), so switching them for South Africans would be negligible

Crutch (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 11:04
And if the SA in question is Steven Kitshoff, then yes!

ale shark (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 11:29
But doesnít the kolpac thing end with brexit?

Worth a read. Signing a load of South Africans long term could be risky business if we canít play them all.
[www.theguardian.com]

thekeg (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 14:56
Quote:
Olyy
Quote:
M5 Shark

Several of our current non-EQP are out of contract this year (Ostrikov, Strauss, Bryn), so switching them for South Africans would be negligible

Think we signed Strauss on a three year deal

clutch (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 15:08
Could be one of those famous Sale 2 + 1 contracts

Olyy (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 15:14
Quote:
thekeg
Quote:
Olyy
Quote:
M5 Shark

Think we signed Strauss on a three year deal

Ah, my mistake - just going off something i saw on Twitter rather than actually looking into it myself.

Tigster (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 16:33
Wonderful news that Faf has extended. What a great player he is and what an example he sets to all rugby players. Thank you Faf!

Also, great credit to Steve Diamond,a man who has thus far managed brilliantly on scarce resources, and a man who is often pilloried on here by a vociferous few. I think he has done, and is doing, a terrific job, and I would suggest that Faf and many other players thinks so too. So thank you too, Steve, for your hard work and leadership.

What a red letter day this is. Sa-le, Sa-le, Sa-le!

Crutch (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 16:37
Quite a lot has been said about Dimes doing well on a limited budget in the past, but was he the right man to recruit and retain at a higher level.

Not saying Faf proves he is, but itís certainly a massively positive step.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 17:36
Crutch - indeed so, amplified by Jono Ross which IIRC was a swoop when Stade Francais were at risk of being merged away. And although weíve not seen a huge amount of him yet, Ashton has been doing what Ashton does, namely scoring for fun. The fixed JOC is looking like the top-drawer player he can be too. Lots of positives.

wrinklieshark (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 17:42
Rugby Inside LIne has 'rumours' of Du Preez x 2 staying!

clutch (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 18:11
The biggest question hanging over Diamond is whether he has the ability to take a top squad to top 4 and beyond. I donít think we know the answer to that one yet.

FarnhamShark (IP Logged)
01 January, 2019 13:44
2 big recruitment issues for me:
Can we keep both Tom and Ben, if they're each only playing half a season? I could have seen them at 6 & 7 together, but we've got too many other back row options for that now, and they're both at an age when they just want to play rugby.
It would be nice to have both Rob du Preez and AJ, but I'm not sure we could afford them both, and we'd then risk losing Kieran Wilkinson, who wouldn't be happy being 3rd in the queue behind 2 internationals, and who really needs top-flight experience.

Crutch (IP Logged)
01 January, 2019 14:18
Fair points Farnham, but I think they go away if weíre in the top tier of Europe as you need to have 2 class players for every position to properly rotate and a young talent backing them up.

Yareet (IP Logged)
01 January, 2019 16:19
Quote:
FarnhamShark
Can we keep both Tom and Ben, if they're each only playing half a season? I could have seen them at 6 & 7 together, but we've got too many other back row options for that now, and they're both at an age when they just want to play rugby.
It would be nice to have both Rob du Preez and AJ, but I'm not sure we could afford them both, and we'd then risk losing Kieran Wilkinson, who wouldn't be happy being 3rd in the queue behind 2 internationals, and who really needs top-flight experience.

Much is often made about the amount of rest the Irish players get and how positively this effects their game. With a couple of weeks off for European games, we also saw this for Harrison and John.

To have top players able to swap seamlessly can only be good for Sale.

ale shark (IP Logged)
01 January, 2019 16:30
If Tom and Ben still want to be playing beyond about 28 then staying together at the same club and only playing 40-60% would go a long way to help enable that.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 08:58
Club tweeting another announcementdue at 10am today. Looks like Tom Curry. Excellent news if so.

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 09:20
From memory having both Curries doesnít seem to have impacted hugely on their game time as one of them (mainly Tom) have been injured thus leaving the path clear for the other one plus Tom seemed favoured with England callups

Be absolutely great to have them both signed up

Olyy (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 10:34
Tom Curry signs up until 2023!

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 10:46
(Sm128)

More great news

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 13:07
The rumoured departure (or to be more accurate, non-extension) of the Du Preez brothers has been mentioned on the "Fracas" thread but seems more appropriate here.

Is this possibly a necessary evil in view of the potential end of Kolpak?

And has the BBC Rugby page ever before been dominated by Sale to such an extent?

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2019 13:14 by ageinghoody.

Olyy (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 13:17
My guess is it can't be discussed because they're still under contract.
Chris Foy still seems pretty confident of it happening.

My guess is they'll be summer announcements (like Rohan/Faf/JOC were) rather than in this batch

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 14:09
Great news on both Curry's. Did we fo through a period when they both started games?

Bradwall Boy (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 15:09
We sometimes forget that the Curry boys are only 20. There is plenty of development left in both of them.

The interesting question is do Sale Sharks have the advanced coaching capability to take them further and fulfill their potential?

Olyy (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 15:47
Looks like JLDP has left back for SA

FarnhamShark (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 15:52
Quote:
FarnhamShark
Problem on Tuesday, solved on Wednesday. Oh me of little faith!

23Shark (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 16:15
Quote:
Olyy

How many more games was he due to be around for? Will certainly be a loss!

Olyy (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 16:32
Quote:
23Shark
Quote:
Olyy

I presumed (as I think many did) he would be around as long as Rohan was last year, but this makes sense - he was specifically brought in as injury cover for Tom Curry, who is now fit again.

Hopefully we made a big enough impression on him, he certainly seems to have enjoyed his stay based on his "goodbye" post on Instagram

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 16:37
He looked like he picked up an injury on Saturday as well which, if it was likely that he would be out for a few weeks as a result, there is little point him staying for the rest of his 3 month period. Made a big impression though and it would be great if we could sign him for next season.

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 16:41
Quote:
23Shark
Quote:
Olyy

I think he was due to finish this week or next week so in view of his injury, there wasn't much point him hanging around

I think any aim to re-sign him would be at the end of the forthcoming SA season or RWC

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 16:47
When is Rob due to finish? Anyone know how close to a return AJ is? If there is a gap between the one finishing and the other returning, is this an opportunity to give Cam Redpath some game time (if only from the bench)

02 January, 2019 17:42
Rob signed for 3 months at end of October, so should be with us until end of January. Jean Luc signed a similar deal about 2 weeks later. My guess is that the knock he picked up at Gloucester would keep him out of the remainder of the games of his loan, hence him returning to SA?

snaderson (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 09:25
I happened to speak to AJ at the Bristol game and he said he was aiming to be in contention for Connacht or Perpignan.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 09:27
I'm sure AJ would dearly like to be back for the Connacht game.

Crutch (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 12:41
[mobile.twitter.com]

Nice quote from JLdP. Hold out a decent hope of him rejoining next year.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 13:11
"It was an unbelievable time at Sale... They have one of the best team culturals I have had the pleasure of being involved with. They are an incredible bunch of lads and I feel this is just the start for Sale"

Sorry to those people who know more about the culture at Sale. Lol

StalyShark (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 13:38
The Sale input to his statement was definitely not saying heís agreed to sign for next season... Nod nod wink wink.

H's D (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 13:47
Monty might I suggest you believe Steve Diamond when he says;
ďThe players drive the mentality in the building and I am a facilitator, I donít do much coaching.Ē
Team Culture is player driven; they have to buy into it. Dimes sells it and is pretty good at assessing who could fit in with it, but he doesn't run it.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 13:53
Where did I say it was down to SD? I was referring to the constant suggestions of a poor culture at Sale by people who donīt know so I think its worth highlighting when people who do know say the opposite.

As someone so close to the James brothers I thought you would be more aware of this.

Olyy (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 15:05
Quote:
StalyShark
The Sale input to his statement was definitely not saying heís agreed to sign for next season... Nod nod wink wink.

The one message that JLDP has reposted on Instagram is someone saying they hope to see him back soon

I'm crossing my fingers either day

romanfaithfull (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 15:35
Who do we think the next signing/re-signing will be?

Olyy (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 18:38
My guesses for re-signigs are:

Rob Webber
A couple of the senior academy lads (Langdon and Reed? I'm not sure of their contract status, but someone along those lines)
Flynn (I thought he'd resigned last year but I can't find any mention of it, maybe I'm getting muddled because of the rumours he was going to Bristol last season)

And my left field shout is James O'Connor. He seems to be settling in to life in the NW, works extensively with a life coach type guru guy, and seems to be enjoying his training and playing.
He has said he wants to play for Australia again, though, and I'm not sure what their selection criteria for overseas players is these days. So that could throw a spanner in the works.

thekeg (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 18:58
Hasnít Webber got another year on his contract?

Just checked - he signed a 2 year extension in March 18, so I reckon that means Iím probably right. Not sure weíd be offering a 32 year old an extension at this stage, imagine weíd want to see how heís playing early next season

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2019 19:01 by thekeg.

Crutch (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 19:08
JoC not in contention for Oz whilst here so donít think heís on the list.

Langdon and Reed are good shouts as players whoíve broken through and probably deserving of better terms.

Sadly in terms of signings, if weíre mostly fishing in the SA pool then itís going to be a long wait for announcements again.

I wonder if the positive news with re-signings will be enough to keep the board happy until new signings are announced, or if we have to go through another 6 months of pessimism again?...

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 19:12
What is Dennys current contract status?

Olyy (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 19:24
Denny signed a 4 year contract last Feb,

Didn't realise Webber was still under contract, I thought he was out at the end of this season.

thekeg (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 19:53
Think we will certainly get some signings in the near future, but perhaps some of the SA contingent will be later on

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 20:07
Whats the current contract with AJ?

Olyy (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 20:10
We play Wasps on Feb 23rd so I imagine JCW (if he's coming) will be announced after then

Quote:
M5 Shark
Whats the current contract with AJ?
Signed for 4 years back in February

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2019 20:10 by Olyy.

03 January, 2019 21:33
Quote:
Crutch
JoC not in contention for Oz whilst here so donít think heís on the list.
Langdon and Reed are good shouts as players whoíve broken through and probably deserving of better terms.

Sadly in terms of signings, if weíre mostly fishing in the SA pool then itís going to be a long wait for announcements again.

I wonder if the positive news with re-signings will be enough to keep the board happy until new signings are announced, or if we have to go through another 6 months of pessimism again?...

Toulon have already announced Etzebeth for post World Cup, so why canít we do likewise for the SA guys if deals are already signed and sealed?

ale shark (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 22:50
Quote:
Newcastle under Lyme RUFC Shark
Toulon have already announced Etzebeth for post World Cup, so why canít we do likewise for the SA guys if deals are already signed and sealed?

Brexit/Kolpak maybe? No one knows WTF is going on next season and beyond. Signing any/every half-decent South African that flashes their knickers at us could be total waste of money if we can't play them.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 01:48
The Currys were signed on for 5 years in the spring of 2017. I presume the fact that they have re-signed means that, besides the extra year or so, they have been put on a (well deserved) better deal.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 03:29
Brexit and it's ramifications for Kolpak would, IMHO, be more likely to hurry along any potential deals. Come the divorce date, then new deals under Kolpak may become 'outlawed' (though it surely not beyond the wit of PRL to simply apply the same rules), but I don't believe there is any way that existing deals will be curtailed. We just signed Faf to a date well beyond the planned divorce.(planned used in the loosest sense possible)

I honestly don't believe that it has to cause the chaos that many are predicting, there will be extra work permit headaches at government levels, but who is eligible to play in the premiership is mostly at PRL's behest. They could maintain a Kolpak type ruling, they could increase the number of 'foreigners' allowed in a match 23. In any case UK is likely to be subject to European court rulings well beyond the divorce, they will be phased out, not chopped off.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

romanfaithfull (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 15:36
Does anyone know how long Ashton signed for?

Crutch (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 16:06
Donít know, but given the repeat mentions of wanting to move back home and be near family I donít see him going anywhere else now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net