rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Sir for Friday
23Shark (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 10:29
Sale vs Saracens
@ AJ Bell Stadium
Referee: Matthew Carley
Assistant referees: Christophe Ridley, Greg Macdonald
TMO: David Grashoff

(Sm159)

Re: Sir for Friday
Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 10:32
(Sm58)

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 10:49
Just be thankful its not Maxwell-Keys.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 14:33
Grumpy, which current Premiership referee would prompt a different Emojii? (For clarity, I mean a more positive emojii, I'm sure plenty of refs attract rather more of your ire).

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Flumpty (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 15:08
This weeks AR Christophe Ridley was the ref at Castle Grim last week. (& reffed well, from most of the Grimmites on Shedweb).

From the Refs list, there are quite a few refs who I cant't recall seeing at the AJB - and Wigglesworth, who I can't recall reffing (but has been an AR), for quite a while.
Has Sara Cox done any/many Premiership games to date ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2019 15:14 by Flumpty.

amateurref (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 16:01
Sara Cox's biggest men's game to date was a Premiership cup game between Wasps and Saints I believe. Yet to get a run out in the Gallaghers though.

From what I hear, Wigglesworth is more or less only ARing the Premiership stuff these days.

isitme (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 16:14
Barnes
Pearce
Doyle
Carley

Are all international refs and are very good. Most of the rest are good. Probably Tempest and Maxwell-Keys are the weakest but as a group they probably the best set of domestic refs in any league in the world. It could be worse as the pro 14 refs are on the whole shocking.

I expect Dickson and Ridley to be rivaling to take over Barnes' mantle in the next two seasons.

Flumpty (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 16:19
Quote:
amateurref
Sara Cox's biggest men's game to date was a Premiership cup game between Wasps and Saints I believe. Yet to get a run out in the Gallaghers though.
From what I hear, Wigglesworth is more or less only ARing the Premiership stuff these days.

If the assessors are happy with her work, she'll hopefully get her opportunites in the future.

Maybe ARing is a better fit for Wigglesworth, than reffing.

Crutch (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 17:36
I like Carley - tends to favour the home team but then most do.

I thought Ridley’s communication against Glos was exceptional considering his inexperience. I did think we were quite lucky with the yellow awarded against Glos though, especially with the timing shortly after the Faf yellow.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 18:03
Ridley did well in a few early season games I saw and looks like a very good ref in the making

TOKS (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 14:23
From a Sarries viewpoint Dickson was poor last weekend, but you can see that he is one that will head in the right direction. Foley had a shocker down at Exeter the week before (there again, so did we!) and seems to be heading the opposite way.

Ridley seems to get good reviews every time he referees and I haven't seen him have a poor game yet. I'd be happy to see him on the pitch anytime.

Tempest and Maxwell-Keyes remain at the 7/10 mark and don't seem to be moving in either direction.

I think if we get one of the international guys, such as this Friday, we should automatically accept that they are the best of the bunch and have been the most rigorously scrutinised.

As I've said that, you just know that there's going to be a massive thread about Carley on one of our boards on Saturday!

Olyy (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 20:39
Well I must say I'm warming up to Carley, haha

Thought he missed a really blatant penalty from the 2nd kick-off (Williams taking out Jono) but then Farrells card was very harsh, imo, as was the Skelton penalty after (more of a "rugby collision" than shoulder charge, though Skelton does have plenty of previous)

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 21:49
Quote:
Olyy
Thought he missed a really blatant penalty from the 2nd kick-off (Williams taking out Jono) but then Farrells card was very harsh, imo, as was the Skelton penalty after (more of a "rugby collision" than shoulder charge, though Skelton does have plenty of previous)
I also thought farrel card was harsh until BT found an angle later where it looked worse which is sympathetic to Carley decision

Dougal007 (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 21:58
Farrell never shut his mouth. Think sir did well with him and the two vimopolas

Olyy (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 22:00
Quote:
Irish_Shark
Quote:
Olyy
I also thought farrel card was harsh until BT found an angle later where it looked worse which is sympathetic to Carley decision

Agree with that, the angle they showed after halftime (also the angle Carley saw it from live) looked much worse than the regular TV angles, can understand why he immediately went to the pocket with the laws the way they are atm.

isitme (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 12:16
Thought he was excellent. His communication was good as well.

clutch (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 12:25
Communication is half the battle. He was very good, though still think Farrell yellow was harsh. Williams should have been carded though so swings and roundabouts. Don’t get why our 3rd try was disalllowed. Not saying it was wrong, but looked like he’d blown to have a word with the mouthing off.

05 January, 2019 12:40
Quote:
clutch
Communication is half the battle. He was very good, though still think Farrell yellow was harsh. Williams should have been carded though so swings and roundabouts. Don’t get why our 3rd try was disalllowed. Not saying it was wrong, but looked like he’d blown to have a word with the mouthing off.

It was wrong. Carley wanted to give BV & Farrell a bollocking for BV abusing the AR. As Ugo Monye said - give the try first then give the warning. The try would have penalised the abuse much better than mere words with no follow-up.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

emerging shark (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 14:25
Farrell and Billy V were given final warnings half way through the second half. They were mainly for aggressive language to the ARs...

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 18:01
Unsurprisingly when we got the rub of the green, I enjoyed Carley's performance. My biggest gripe was that he issued 'Final' warnings 4 times.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 19:19
Quote:
clutch

Yep, by insisting on the immediate bollocking he effectively rewarded their bad behaviour by at least two points (though probably four), and arguably the LBP!

MartWhit (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 19:42
Carley had a really good game, in a match with tons of niggle. IMO he got the Farrell and tolofua calls right and the Skelton one wrong. Overall he controlled the game, was consistent and communicated well.

Of the others Barnes is just a class apart. Pearce is also very good, and several of the younger breed have what it takes to be on the international panel in time. I think Doyle has somehow lost the plot this year. He seems to really struggle with the new interpretations and has lost control of a game more than once.

05 January, 2019 19:46
Tempest had a busy day today - one red and three yellows for Barf.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net