rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Healey on Diamond
Chris1850 (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 09:08
In today's Telegraph but behind the paywall I think. Here is the transcript:

Sport, if it is honest and full of opinion, is a great thing. Which is why although Steve Diamond, the Sale director of rugby, may have overstepped the mark in the eyes of some at Kingsholm and might regret what he said to journalist Sam Peters, he will have also felt entitled to have his say.

Diamond had obviously been under a bit of pressure and Sale had not quite been getting the performances right, with people questioning his methods.

The truth of the matter is, he has done a great job at Sale in previous years with the budget the club had until recently. He has taken on unwanted players from other clubs and turned them into world-class performers. Faf de Klerk is now the Springbok star of the squad yet before he was playing for Sale, he was well down the pecking order. Now he is one of the best in the world.

Diamond wants his players to work hard and play hard, and to have a good time. If anyone gets in the way of doing that, or questions that approach, he finds it upsetting because he takes it personally. If I was playing today, I would want my coach to be exactly like that. Dean Richards at Newcastle has that edge to him, where he is not afraid to speak up.

A lot of Premiership coaches today are feisty and want to protect their club, but actually I think they need to open their clubs up so people can see how much hard work and love goes into the outcome we see on the field every week.

Rugby has always had the ability to self-police and to manage things when they go wrong, but that seems to be becoming increasingly difficult as the game gets bigger. While there are guidelines, we want talking points, we want people with personalities. We want people to talk to the press in an honest way and to say how they are feeling.

As part of our production on BT Sport, players are contractually obliged to speak to us when we carry out our pre-match pitch walks. But you do not want to speak to someone dull Ė you want to hear the truth, you do not want to hear a trained media answer. Those scripted replies started years ago due to a fear of upsetting the opposition. Personally, you might not be surprised to know that I have never really subscribed to that.

All you want from players today is honesty. When Clive Woodward took over with England, we had answers posted under our door to potential media questions we would face that day, in order to practise. We were instructed to use those answers and not come up with our own. I was basically quite keen to use those pre-planned replies as lavatory paper.

Back to Sale, it would not surprise me at all if they defeated Saracens at home tonight, given that Saracens have a poor record at the AJ Bell Stadium. I would even make Sale slight favourites and you can be sure that if they do defeat the champions, then Diamond may be searching out several members of the press corps.

You want people in sport to be contentious rather than just bland, and I can imagine a lot of top coaches taking a similar approach to Diamond. I could see Geordan Murphy doing it. Paul Gustard, too. If you really upset them in some way, and it is eating away at them and they cannot see the wood through the trees, then it becomes a far bigger issue for them than anyone else realises.

The timing might have been unusual after an excellent performance against a good side in Gloucester, but it highlights the pressure these coaches are under. Look at Dai Young at Wasps; he looks as though he has the weight of the world on his shoulders.

These coaches are watching a ridiculous number of hours of video, thinking that will affect the outcome, whereas I am not sure there is a direct correlation between the number of hours you work and the outcome for your team.

I do think the framework and the culture in place are key, and that is what Diamond has worked hard to create at Sale. If you do not like his methods, do not support Sale and do not play for them. The number of key contract extensions Sale have made recently, with De Klerk, Jono Ross, Josh Beaumont and the Curry brothers, Tom and Ben, re-signing, suggests plenty are happy with him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2019 09:15 by Chris1850.

Re: Healey on Diamond
Timperley Shark (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 09:29
I was never a fan of Healey. He has just gone up hugely in my estimation.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 09:53
When Healey stops trying to be a comedian he is one of the most intelligent and perceptive pundits out there

dinogyro (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 10:22
Quote:
ashtonshark
When Healey stops trying to be a comedian he is one of the most intelligent and perceptive pundits out there

Yes, I agree. Although he does sometimes manage to combine both!

I am totally bored by the pre- and post-match interviews. I know relatively nothing about rugby, yet I cannot learn anything from them. I want to be informed, not PR'ed.

I know SD is passionate, but there is a time and place. You can say things without agression or swearing. Often they have more impact without the unnecessary stuff.

jaytom (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 11:09
Quote:
Timperley Shark
I was never a fan of Healey. He has just gone up hugely in my estimation.

Likewise! More of this please!

FlyingFin (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 11:26
Couldn't agree more about the media coaching. As a rule, fast forward the interviews as bland and spoon-fed. It's refreshing when the likes of SD, Dean Richards, Cockers show a bit of passion or say something they honestly believe, even if you don't agree with them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2019 11:28 by FlyingFin.

JimJam350 (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 14:28
Folks in the media generally go up in the estimation of supporters when they post something that reflects well on one of their own. Particularly so in the estimation of one-eyed supporters I find.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 15:31
Quote:
JimJam350
Folks in the media generally go up in the estimation of supporters when they post something that reflects well on one of their own. Particularly so in the estimation of one-eyed supporters I find.

The problem with that statement is that you are in danger of labelling anyone with a view as 'one eyed'

Monty9 (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 16:14
The same could be said in exactly the same way when someone says something negative JimJam, as is the case with you and the Peters story quite clearly. Stop suggesting people are one eyed when you a very obviously just that.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 16:41
Although he comes across as a tough cookie, imho Diamond has rather a thin skin and a short fuse. Cross him at your peril...
I remember sitting in on a postmatch press conference with Dean Richards when he was at Leicester. It was embarrassing and cringeful. He just didn't want to be there and answered every reporter's question with about three words.

neiljk (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 19:03
Healey is a good pundit. So much better than the rubbish on Sky. His analysis is much better and more up to date than Stuart Barnes.

However, you have to smile when he says something nice about Sale a chunk of you pile in to say how great he is.

Beyond that I also wouldnít conflate being passionate with behaving like a bit of an idiot on the sidelines. Dean Richards is obviously very passionate about Falcons as is Sanderson for Sarries (much better than his boring brother Pat) and Baxter for Chiefs. They also do great media stuff that isnít anodyne. Diamond is clearly very invested in Sale in many ways, which is great, but itís not a natural progression into shouting and swearing from there. Iím quite passionate about my job, but Iím not ranting and raving....

JimJam350 (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 12:10
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
JimJam350

The problem with that statement is that you are in danger of labelling anyone with a view as 'one eyed'

Nope. That's why I said "generally". I also said that opinion is usually that of one-eyed supporters (not all supporters).

JimJam350 (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 12:11
Quote:
Monty9
The same could be said in exactly the same way when someone says something negative JimJam, as is the case with you and the Peters story quite clearly. Stop suggesting people are one eyed when you a very obviously just that.

The irony continues! If only the one-eyed supporters could actually read.

clutch (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 12:27
Healey has tweeted Peters telling him to apologise now!!
Donít get why anyone would dislike him as a pundit. His analysis is great and heís a funny chap. Monye I think isnít great and LBND talks nonsense quite a bit.

Olyy (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 12:32
I've always liked Healy as a pundit, he's knowledgeable about the game and is rarely biased (Despite being accused of it a lot). Sometimes has questionable banter but overall he's one of the better guys BT have.

He's always had a soft spot for Dimes as well, I remember him telling a story a few years ago about playing against Dimes back in the day and giving him a right shoeing in a ruck, dimes got up and headbutted him- the referee missed it and when he turned around just saw them both on the floor. Neither wanting to get in trouble they just said they'd fallen over the ruck instead

Monty9 (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 12:47
How do people like JimJam exist? They have their opinion but if anyone else has a different opinion they are wrong or one eyed as they keep saying. You arenít wrong JimJam and neither are we, itís called a difference of opinion.

JimJam350 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 12:11
How do people like Monty9 exist? They totally fail to comprehend what other people post in order to argue against what they would like to think was posted in the first place. If only they would read, think and realise that what was actually posted is here for all to see before posting they wouldn't make themselves look so stupid.

Just my opinion and of course as can clearly be seen I have never ever said I am right and anyone else's opinion is wrong.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 13:20
Brian Moore is apparently writing on the subject of Diamond and Peters - think column out tomorrow.

Crutch (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 14:02
Whichever way ďgay slapĒ Moore goes on this I have no respect for his opinion.

romanfaithfull (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 15:45
gay slap?

Crutch (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 15:54
A comment he made in reference to an altercation in a 6 nations game a long time ago.

Heís pompous and his analysis is terrible.

WillC (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 09:31
Quote:
Pappje Shark
Brian Moore is apparently writing on the subject of Diamond and Peters - think column out tomorrow.

In today's telegraph, but behind the paywall unfortunately

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 09:48
Quote:
WillC
Quote:
Pappje Shark

In today's telegraph, but behind the paywall unfortunately

Here:

Brian Moore

Steve Diamond is now Saleís director of rugby, but I first came across him in the middle of Saleís front row, in times when hooking was a proper art. What was he like? He was a hooker; need I say more? OK, like me, Eddie Jones et al, he was devious, irascible, provocative and anything else you needed to succeed as a smaller player amid giants. And not without nous.

Is anyone surprised that Diamond displays the innate characteristics that made him a good first-class player? You can take the man out of hooking butÖ

He recently had a public argument with journalist Sam Peters over an article the latter wrote. This left me in something of a quandary. I can see both sides. 
I have been questioner and questioned and, in either role, 
I would rarely back down if 
I thought my point was legitimate.

Loss of discipline: Steve Diamond was involved in an argument with a journalist after Saleís victory at Gloucester

Peters has done good work in highlighting the issue of concussion in rugby. And I do not doubt his criticisms of Diamond and Sale are genuinely felt. That does not make him right all the time and it will not make him popular.

The footage of his exchange with Diamond, in the press area of Gloucester rugby club, did not evidence bullying to me. Peters stood toe-to-toe with Diamond and gave as good as he got. I think Peters will regret being the centre of the story because that is not his role. If Diamond sought to make him so, Peters is sufficiently verbally adept to deflect an offer to step outside and stay calm enough to do his job.

As for Diamond, why react to Petersí criticisms at this juncture? Why not call Peters as soon as you become aware of the comments? Say what you like to him in response; make your point but know that nothing is off the record. And, bear this in mind, this is not a battle you can win long term. Journalists will write because it is their job and you cannot stop that. If you want to put a story to bed, present refuting evidence in front of other journalists at a press conference. If the journalist ignores the evidence or twists this, you and his colleagues will know. Whether you believe me or not, they will not condone it and that scenario gives you legitimate grounds for complaint.

As the head of rugby at Sale, Diamond has a wider duty to his club and rugby in general; it goes beyond what his team do on the field. He cannot act in any way he wants in and around games. Controlling your emotions is difficult but what has been the benefit of his confrontation, beyond portraying him and his club poorly and obscuring a fantastic away win at Gloucester?

You could also say it sets a poor example to his players and it does make demands for discipline a little more difficult. On the other hand, behind closed doors, the players will have liked the fact that Diamond stuck up for them, even if it could have been done more effectively.

Is it a surprise that he displays the very qualities that made him a good player?

Whatever you make of Diamond or his style, you must credit his work at Sale. They operate in an area that is dominated by football and not just any football. Three of the biggest football clubs in the world surround Sale, as well as many other professional clubs. The battle for youngsters to play rugby is hard and the fight for crowds just as tough. Saleís budget is nowhere near as big as that of many Premiership clubs and so Diamond has to be inventive.

The current squad prove the overall attractiveness of the club because you could not attract star players, or even many good-quality club players, on salaries that could be bettered by many clubs here and abroad. We have seen over the professional years that you cannot just conjure up squad spirit. Enough clubs have proved it does not depend on the amount of money you spend. The essential ingredient is not the money. Saleís recent winning run includes Fridayís gritty win over Englandís top club, Saracens. You cannot out-spirit a club Ė who have made spirit their touchstone Ė by faking it.

Finally, clubs must accept that their poor facilities do not help. Sitting coaching teams in the middle of crowds is unwise and courts trouble. Properly cordoned off areas, preferably soundproofed, should be made available. 
I witnessed years of Scotlandís coaching team, including Andy Robinson, nearly spontaneously combust at Murrayfield but none of the public were offended because they could not hear them. And, a point often forgotten but equally important, the public could not goad them.

H's D (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 11:12
Together with Flatman's comments on TV, to me these two articles sum up the situation perfectly.
He's an Alpha male surrounded by Alpha males in his squad, in a sport where gorillas and raging bulls thrive. Huge Boks that are fed a kg of beef a day from birth are all Alpha males themselves, so if he was truly 'bullying the squad' they simply would not tolerate it.
Not that he doesn't need to rein his comments in at times, and he certainly needs to thicken his skin, and learn from mistakes and criticism, just as we all should. Moore's comments that he should have dealt with the personal nature of the original article at the time is well made. I think we have all brooded over the odd perceived grievance and it doesn't help at all, far better to address it at the time.

We should perhaps remember that Steve is under constant pressure and that tends to bring out the faults in rough diamonds.

Rugby in general has been waking up far too slowly over the last decade to the realities of the consequences of head trauma and the Cillian Willis case may well emphasise that from a game a couple of years ago.
It really is journalists jobs to promote cultural change when it is taking place at a pedestrian pace. IMHO Peter's method of highlighting that was ' too tabloid' in nature by making it personal and pointed, but gorillas are meant to be thick skinned so I can see why he did it!.

Chris1850, one valid criticism on etiquette . You should at the very least post a link to the articles on the Telegraphs website. I would do that if I were you by editing your post above. Even if it goes to the paywall page for most of us.
Posting the whole article (especially if it's "Premium content" - behind a paywall) deserves a big slap on the wrist as it could get the eds of this site as well as yourself into trouble!
Great that you did it though.winking smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2019 12:06 by H's D.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 12:17
Quote:
H's D
Chris1850, one valid criticism on etiquette . You should at the very least post a link to the articles on the Telegraphs website. I would do that if I were you by editing your post above. Even if it goes to the paywall page for most of us.
Posting the whole article (especially if it's "Premium content" - behind a paywall) deserves a big slap on the wrist as it could get the eds of this site as well as yourself into trouble!
Great that you did it though.winking smiley

H'sD - thanks for your comments re etiquette. I admit that I had not fully appreciated this. I am a subscriber to the Telegraph and in the past, I have posted the link to an article, rather than the full article itself. However, there was an occasion some time ago, when it was pointed out to me that posting the link was pointless as nobody could read it unless they were themselves a subscriber. Consequently, I have subsequently 'copied and pasted' the whole article.

As mentioned, I honestly hadnt considered the possible implications of this. I confess that I am still unsure of what these may be. Perhaps one of the mods could issue some guidance for the future please? I have noticed that posters on other boards do post the full text of articles on occasions so perhaps this is a matter that does need clarifying generally.

In the meantime, here is the link

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

H's D (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 12:41
I just think that putting on the link provides an easy opportunity for others to "do the right thing" and could even prompt them to pay for their own premium service. It mitigates your actions a tad.
Software sometimes detects referral source and so if the odd person did sign up that might make them less likely to take action.
As you say its a grey area in terms of actions they might take and against whom.

In this case though, just by registering your details on the telegraph website I think you can read the article today for free, directly on their website, which is great for all concerned. I don't pay a sub, but was already registered, so could access it just by logging in. Even doing that obviously has some value to the newspaper.

Major Bloodnok (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 15:11
<ed>Posting the full article could well get us a take-down notice, if nothing more serious. I think that a couple of short quotes, especially if used to illustrate a point within the post, would be OK.</ed>

The thing is that, prior to the internet, you would have to buy or borrow the paper to read the article, anyway, so not having instant access is a bit of a first-world problem. If it's behind a paywall, then it's the paper's lookout if they lose potential eyes (irritating as it may be to those of who would like to have read the article). The Grauniad lets you read everything, but constantly nags you. Which do you prefer?

For those using Firefox (and maybe other browsers), there's an add-on called "Bloody Vikings!", which allows you to easily register to a site with a throw-away email address. So you could register, read the article and then forget that you'd ever been there.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg
Somewhere in the South Stand

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net