rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Ross Harrison
emerging shark (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 14:22
This boy is unbelievable, a real unsung hero. How long before Eddie Jones takes notice?

Re: Ross Harrison
clutch (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 14:44
A while. Hes not going to jump ahead of his rivals. Also worth pointing out how good John has been on the other side.
I wonder if Harrison is hampered by playing 80. He must have to conserve energy to some extent. Bring Kitchoff in and he can spend all his energy in 50-60 mins.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 14:49
Couldnt agree more. Illness prevented me from going last night but watching on TV, I really appreciated how good the front three were last night. The amount of work they got through, much of it unseen, was phenomenal. They were very much the foundation for thst win. Both Ross and WGJ are extremely mobile for props and get themselves around the pitch far more than many other props. Witness WGJ chasing down and tackling Koch when he ran into Denny for example.

Real feel good feeling around the Club at the moment. Best I have known in years. Everyone involved needs congratulating. Let's keep it up!

romanfaithfull (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 15:35
WGJ has really improved the last 5 or so games, starting to look way more polished, in the same way cobilas became. He gets through so much work and his mobility makes you forget just how big of a man he is. Recently I've been quite impressed with his carrying too, seems to gain quite a lot of momentum from a standing start!

Scrum was excellent yesterday and I think the tight 5 have been the biggest improvement from the start of the season.

I agree 100% that the fact that the drop in quality in the props from the bench is hurting Harrison's chances. International props would almost never play more than 70, let alone the full 80. It's very difficult to maintain the weight required international front row, whilst staying fit enough to play 70+ mins week-in week-out. I wonder how many other props are even close to being in the top tacklers in the league! (Harrison currently second, behind Jono).

Really happy to be a sharks fan at the moment (not that i'm normally unhappy mind). Lots of positivity and not a single player seems out of form! Before the Sarries game my head was telling me a Sarries win but my heart was going for a decent win!

Crutch (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 16:05
Lets not forget Rob Webber. Hes playing a phenomenal amount of mins too, whilst also making lots of good carries, excellent in defence and also line out considering were playing most of the mins without Bryn lately.

romanfaithfull (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 16:38
Aye Webber is class, back to the form he was in at Bath when he had his England caps imho

MartWhit (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 18:18
ROman has it right here. In a different squad, Ross would condition himself differently. He'd probably add 3-4 kilos to give him more strength in the tight and short carries if he wasnt required to last the full 80. IMO, he'd be more effective if that was his role, and FWIW, I think that could be a difference maker in our rolling maul defence too.

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 08:24
IIRC we have a Russian loosehead arriving about now and Flynn must be close to coming back?

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 09:42
I think the Russian prop arrived on Thursday

StalyShark (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 12:14
Quote:
M5 Shark
I think the Russian prop arrived on Thursday

Announcement said the 2nd but nothing seen on any social media as yet.

clutch (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 12:19
Id forgotten about him!!

MartWhit (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 17:03
I think Morozov is a next year project. Flynn, however needs to get back fully fit for 1st XV duty for the Perpignan & Falcons games.Ditto Tarus for John at 3.

Crutch (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 17:17
Joe Jones appears to be ahead of Tarus so I expect him to play those games. Loose head harder to call, but as Flynn hasnt been in a squad I cant see him going straight to starter, more likely Bristow starts with Russian on bench.

LJK (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 19:52
Going back to Emerging's first post here...though we want to see Harrison (and other Sale players) get recognised by England call ups, I just hope it isn't this season, as we remain with such a thin squad which is just finding its feet at the moment. Hopefully the signings being talked about will ease the pressure in 2019/20, but if we lose too many for the 6N, we may slip down the congested mid table again, from the very exciting place we are now.
Harrison is still only mid twenties but seems to have been part of the front line for ever! I do remember back in 2013 (?) when he, Taylor and Thomas used to be brought on as a replacement 'unit' for the club favourites Fridge, Vadim and Marc Jones, and the crowd's concern that they would get mullered by generally much more experienced front rows of the opposition. Indeed, in the early days they did concede plenty of penalties, but have all rapidly developed to become much respected players, at their clubs.

ale shark (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 20:05
Hes not that unbelievable really, hes been propping up that side of the scrum single handedly for about 5 years now. We just accept his incredible superpowers as the norm.

Ill be disappointed if he doesnt put in a 77min shift in the next pointless premiership cup game.

BenHK (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 07:51
How long is Harrison under contract for? Really hope hes one of those SD has tied into a 2022/2023 contract

thekeg (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 11:30
Hes in year 2 of a three year contract

Yareet (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 23:32
Quote:
thekeg

Horrible thought but could Ross be the younger player rumoured to be leaving at the end of the season? We thought it was Josh but now clearly not and a 3-year contract could be 2+1...

Would explain why weve been after 3 looseheads (Bristow, the Russian and allegedly Kitshoff).

thekeg (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 00:08
Quote:
Yareet
Quote:
thekeg

Horrible thought but could Ross be the younger player rumoured to be leaving at the end of the season? We thought it was Josh but now clearly not and a 3-year contract could be 2+1...

Would explain why weve been after 3 looseheads (Bristow, the Russian and allegedly Kitshoff).

Bristow is only here to the end of the season isnt he? Your theory had occurred to me as well, really hope its not the case......

BenHK (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 05:25
Fingers crossed he's the next renewal to be announced.

There'll have no shortage of clubs interested in him, both in England and France, so SD will probably have to throw some serious cash at him to keep him here.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 06:17
Was he mates with Tommy T and Gaskell?

Who else is left of the rumoured "younger player to be moving on"?

Cam?

Olyy (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 07:42
Neild?

Think he's still got a year left on his contract but it's not unheard of for the final year of a contract to be optional.
Club captain is ahead of him at 6 and I think Langdon looks better at #2, and even then it's a fight for who gets 2-3mins off the bench when we bring Webber off

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2019 07:43 by Olyy.

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 07:43
Quote:
M5 Shark
Was he mates with Tommy T and Gaskell?
Who else is left of the rumoured "younger player to be moving on"?

Cam?

Could it be Jennings? Hes part of the younger group and plays in a position where we have a lot of options. May also explain his complete absence

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 09:30
I thought Jennings as well. Can't see him getting much game time with RJVR returning and now Luke James ahead of hI'm plus Redpath coming through

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2019 09:32 by ashtonshark.

ale shark (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 09:55
I'd be surprised if Harrison left. The club knows his worth so he's unlikely to get paid more elsewhere or walk into many better first teams, either home or abroad. I'll say it quietly but he's nowhere near the top of EJ's list who seems happier chucking in teenagers with 3 club appearances.

If Sale truly are on a long-term upwards trajectory then Id suggest those with international ambitions would be better served staying put than joining the likes of Bath or Wasps.

clutch (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 10:18
The kitchoff rumours dont mean anything. We have the money now to have quality back up or rotation in each position. You need 2 starting looseheads and a prospect. At the moment we have too many prospects for both props. I suppose Harrison could go to France?

Jennings has been injured I assume otherwise he would feature for Jets surely. Sadly hes not fit enough to stake any claim and hes 4th choice 12 now.

The other rumour could be Moore going to pursue welsh ambitions. The rumour was it would be a shame if said person applied. Not sure shame applies to Harrison. I stronger word would be used.

Nield does make sense as well. Especially if Marx comes (amusing writing that)

ale shark (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 10:42
I'd like to hope that a fit Moore would give it at least a season of playing for Sale before deciding he's a devoted Welshman. Hes played for England U16, U17, U18, U19 & U20 and spent time with the England Elite squad. Its pure conjecture on my part but he signed a 5-year professional contract with Sale in 2017 presumably on the proviso that he was, and remained, an EQP for the duration of that contract.

Olyy (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 11:16
Moore signed on until 2022 last year, turning down offers from all 4 regions, if I remember correctly.

clutch (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 12:17
Oh. Dont remember that. Good news if he stays fit. Really dont think it will be Harrison.

bigfecker (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 13:10
Quote:
Olyy
Neild?
Think he's still got a year left on his contract but it's not unheard of for the final year of a contract to be optional.
Club captain is ahead of him at 6 and I think Langdon looks better at #2, and even then it's a fight for who gets 2-3mins off the bench when we bring Webber off

At 24 Neild is now 3rd choice at 2 or 6, 7 and has gone backwards in the pecking order over the last 2 years. Won't get a chance at 7 due to the twins, 6 he is too small really, and 3rd choice hooker.

shaftesbury shark (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 14:11
Quote:
At 24 Neild is now 3rd choice at 2

Actually I think if fit, Neild would be 2nd choice hooker.

Langdon has really come on this season but Neild started the season strongly.

Ideally the pair of them will be competing to take over from Webber. The competition from Langdon already seems to have done Webber a lot of good, he's playing really well right now.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 19:51
Neild has had an injury issue but Im sure well see him in the Prem rugby cup and then in the 23 once his fitness is up. Possibly even for Perpignan - Id imagine Webber might play one of the two European games with Langdon and Neild both featuring.

clutch (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 20:09
Yes. Nield was pretty much first choice at some point this season. He was playing well. You need to compare the minutes off the bench that Nield got compared to Langdon. Nield isnt even an option at 6. Hes a hooker now. He can fill in in an emergency or maybe in the European games when we rest the likes of Ross.

Crutch (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 21:13
Quote:
clutch
Nield does make sense as well. Especially if Marx comes (amusing writing that)

In a world where Faf re-signs until 2023 anything is possible!!! smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net