rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

versus Connacht (Away)
StalyShark (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 10:21
I think the general consensus for this match would be to put out as close to the first team as possible in order to try for the home quarterfinal fixture; if you look at the upcoming fixtures it would be, in my opinion that would be the correct decision. If we win on Saturday we can give the first team over a month with their names off the team sheet given itís the Rugby Cup in February.
Without Robert dP and potentially McGuigan due to his early departure on friday I can see us lining up as follows:

Harrison
Webber
John
Beaumont
Phillips
Ross
T Curry
Strauss
Faf
Wilkinson
Reed
JOC
S James
Solomona
Ashton

Nield
Bristow
Jones
Evans
B Curry
Cliff
L James
Van Rensburg/AJ - IF FIT - Odogwu if not

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2019 10:59 by StalyShark.

Re: versus Connacht (Away)
Crutch (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 10:35
I think thatís pretty much how weíll line up, although WGJ is not so fit that he can replace himself off the bench! smiling smiley

ale shark (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 10:36
Looking at the tables we're currently the second "ranked" team in the competition on 16 points. If we get 10 points from the remaining 2 games then we'd be guaranteed a home quarter-final and if we won then would be guaranteed a home semi-final. Decent incentive that.

Connaught still have a good chance to win the pool though and obviously we can't take a home win against a poor French opposition for granted.

Sussex Shark (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 10:59
Dimes just mentioned on a twitter video that Sam J will be playing 10 against Connacht. Hopefully with Luke coming in at centre instead.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 11:00
Quote:
Crutch
I think thatís pretty much how weíll line up, although WGJ is not so fit that he can replace himself off the bench! smiling smiley

Credited him too much for his recent upturn in form!

StalyShark (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 11:06
Quote:
Sussex Shark
Dimes just mentioned on a twitter video that Sam J will be playing 10 against Connacht. Hopefully with Luke coming in at centre instead.

Well, thatís made me look daft. So...:

Harrison
Webber
John
Beaumont
Phillips
Ross
T Curry
Strauss
Faf
S James
Reed
JOC
L James
Solomona
Ashton

Nield
Bristow
Jones
Evans
B Curry
Cliff
Wilkinson/AJ
RJVR/Odogwu

FarnhamShark (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 11:07
What's the situation re Jean-Luc? He was declared as injured for last week, but I didn't see any indication of how long he'll be out for.

Sussex Shark (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 11:10
Unfortunately Jean-Luc is still injured and has returned to SA now and his loan finished because of it. Shame we couldn't see him longer but hopefully be back in a Sale shirt soon!

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 11:42
Quote:
Sussex Shark

Also mentioned

Pack will remain the same (as per Sarries)
Reed in for the horse (tight hamstring)

Crutch (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 12:04
Interesting move RE: Sam J, especially considering KW doing well in the earlier rounds and SJ in great form at centre.

clutch (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 12:29
And also doing ok At 15. An odd move I must admit. No issue with him at 10 but Wilkinson is more than capable.

ale shark (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 12:35
We still need back-up for AJ and I guess Sam is more trusted for the league games than Wilkinson. Makes sense to give him some meaningful game time there should AJ not be fully match ready by the time the league returns.

H's D (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 16:32
Is it a 'get your best players on the pitch' selection, which is what we regularly did at MRFC during his youth. Sam played in all 3 positions for MRFC. My son 9, 7 and very rarely 10 or 15.
Ale shark's rationale sounds just as likely though....

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 18:54
Sam at 10 with no RdP surprises me not in the slightest. Itís clear the club are not looking to put pressure on KW by starting him in what could be a fixture with very positive ramifications for our season.

clutch (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 19:00
Is that not dangerous the other way. Him getting used to playing low importance matches and then crumbling if and when he has to play a big game.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 19:32
Quote:
clutch
Is that not dangerous the other way. Him getting used to playing low importance matches and then crumbling if and when he has to play a big game.

He was pretty good in all the Challenge Cup games heís played so far and was supposedly good for Sale FC at the weekend. So Faf will be kicking and then Cliff; letís hope we donít need a last minute drop goal/penalty to win.

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 19:36
I wouldn't be surprised if RJvR makes an appearance off the bench.....

Crutch (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 19:59
I really hope so!

StalyShark (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 20:15
Quote:
ale shark
We still need back-up for AJ and I guess Sam is more trusted for the league games than Wilkinson. Makes sense to give him some meaningful game time there should AJ not be fully match ready by the time the league returns.

Plus AJ might be away with the Eagles over 6 Nations time:

[www.usarugby.org]

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 21:29
Quote:
clutch

As Staly said, he did play some Challenge Cup a,ready and I donít think itís a case of ďlow importanceĒ, more how they are phasing him into the action. I did ask the rugby journalist Alex Shaw whether there was a case to throw him in as Quins did with Marcus Smith - his reply was essentially that if they arenít, then the club is taking a view as to whether the deep end would be counter-productive.

On a different level, the confluence of RdP going home, AJ potentially unavailable for the 6N even when fit and Rohan coming back means that Sam at 10 allows for Rohan alongside JOC when we get back into the league and those crunch back to back home games against Exeter and Leicester.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net