rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Transfer rumours
BenHK (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 10:31
David Attwood possibly to Sale according to RIL:

https://twitter.com/RugbyInsideLine/status/1084163109823172609

Also mention on one of the other boards of Retallick coming to Sale (no idea where that rumour started though):

http://rugbyrebels.co/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2864&start=800

Re: Transfer rumours
clutch (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 12:17
Lots of second rows. Snymen as well. Dan Pu Preez also a second row!!

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 12:19
Retallick started as a reply to the Attwood story on twitter.

I’m taking the former with a gargantuan pinch of salt, and the latter with a large one given its origin. We’re being linked with all sorts at the moment!

Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 12:47
Snymen is being linked to Harlequins now more than Sale.

BenHK (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 13:24
Kitschoff, Allen van der Merwe and Worth (fb at cheaters) in amongst some of the others I’m seeing banded about

13 January, 2019 14:04
SA Rugby mag via Twitter

Quote:
Sale still in for Steven Kitshoff, Akker van der Merwe and all 3 Du Preez brothers, according to South African press rumours

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 19:20
What is / will be the status of SA players if brexastrophe goes ahead?

Flumpty (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 21:43
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark
What is / will be the status of SA players if brexastrophe goes ahead?

all will be revealed when Brexstacy has happened at the end of March (Sm128)

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 10:20
Latest from RugbyPass

RugbyPass

thekeg (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 11:43
If we signed all 5 of those and Atwood then it would probably be our best set of recruitment since the early PSA era

H's D (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 17:36
OT
A combination of "Brexstacy" and an american bottom burp appears to have cost my family about £100K so far.....(Sm6)
/OT

It would seem we have a lot of irons heating up in the transfer fire that has been fueled by the PRL's sale of household silver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/01/2019 17:39 by H's D.

dinogyro (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 17:39
If the Pound tanks, it's going to cost me my business.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 17:44
You mean tank even further than it has already and we've not even left yet!

dinogyro (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 17:48
Yes, you are correct. Any further fall against the Euro and it's probably curtains. It's already squeezed margins.

H's D (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 17:52
Think of the silver lining: it's far easier to work out costs on tour when a dollar, a euro and a pound all cost pretty much the same!(Sm8)

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 17:28
An article on the Telegraph website comments re a no-deal scenario:

A club such as Gloucester that has recently signed a number of South African players could find they have to exclude all except two of them every weekend.

clutch (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 19:46
If Brexit means we can’t sign Kitchoff, I propose marching to Westminster.

H's D (IP Logged)
16 January, 2019 09:17
Better to lynch those who voted leave!(Sm6)

Flumpty (IP Logged)
16 January, 2019 11:01
Quote:
H's D
Better to lynch those who voted leave!(Sm6)

It'll be a busy time for the gallows builders - I hope that they can find enough British wood and non- eu workers to build them (Sm129)

ale shark (IP Logged)
16 January, 2019 11:14
Irrespective of the Westminster omnishambles the league as a whole needs to better develop their own world class domestic talent pool to recruit from rather than relying on foreign imports. Sale are very good (leaders?) in this respect but are quickly becoming one of the worst “offenders” in terms of seeking instant results from overseas.

23Shark (IP Logged)
16 January, 2019 11:43
Quote:
ale shark
Irrespective of the Westminster omnishambles the league as a whole needs to better develop their own world class domestic talent pool to recruit from rather than relying on foreign imports. Sale are very good (leaders?) in this respect but are quickly becoming one of the worst “offenders” in terms of seeking instant results from overseas.

We seem to be doing what Saracens did a few years ago, bridging the gap to blood the youth then when the time is right they'll get gametime

clutch (IP Logged)
16 January, 2019 11:50
Exactly. And look where that got them!

ale shark (IP Logged)
16 January, 2019 11:58
And look back at all the comments on here about that Sarries policy!

thekeg (IP Logged)
16 January, 2019 13:00
We also need to consider that the likely leavers this year will be:

Evans
Ostrikov
Tarus

So we aren’t getting rid of homegrown players or even EQP to bring in players from outside, we are probably just upgrading our foreign talent

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
16 January, 2019 13:26
Would add Leota to that list

H's D (IP Logged)
16 January, 2019 14:11
Isn't the point really that Kolpak will no longer apply if/when we leave the EU.
So players that weren't "foreign" in rugby terms will suddenly become so when EU jurisdiction on employment and free movement ends.
I can't see the UK government ratifying the Kolpak decision in UK law, just for rugby players.
Currently I do not think all of the four players mentioned above are "foreign".
Leota and Tarus certainly aren't "foreign".
Those that are already playing should be ok, but any new South Africans or Europeans could create issues.
EU citizens etc will all be subject to gaining work visas once more.

ale shark (IP Logged)
16 January, 2019 14:30
The way I see it is the 2 overseas players is just a rule created by the league so they can easily change that themselves. What number do they go for though? If that's correct (happy to be wrong) then there's no reason why they can't clarify what the new number will be now irrespective of any Brexit timetable.

I guess the problem is retaining the rights of existing EU workers but the league can presumably just say X number of non-UK nationals in each matchday squad, the existing 2 is just a number they came up with years ago and not part of any employment UK/EU law.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/01/2019 14:31 by ale shark.

thekeg (IP Logged)
16 January, 2019 14:52
My argument was more about whether we are becoming over reliant on imports vs home grown players, not the precise status of them.

16 January, 2019 17:16
It was obvious v Glaws & Sorries that our saffers were better than theirs. Exit the better ones and we're back to ordinary.

There are no ants in Antarctica despite the name.

H's D (IP Logged)
16 January, 2019 18:04
Absolutely Aleshark but wasn't it also part of the agreement made with the RFU to help promote the national team? If it is will they agree to easing the rules for "new" players?

However I'm talking out the government "taking back control of our borders" and clamping down on immigration: the foreign players will still need work permits/visas.
The current visa aplication system is already stretched and slow, taking a year or two to process them.
After Brexit far more visas will be needed to be issued. Including extensions to those recently entered into the country from Europe. Our country can't really function without all those that come to do unpopular jobs in factories, seasonal agricultural workers, care workers, etc. Many of whom tend to pop back home from time to time (at which point on my understanding they lose their 'right to stay'....)
There may well be issues......

Yes Keg; as it turns out "Northern Powerhouse" was apparently needs must marketing. It was never what Dimes really wanted to do . Rugby Press articles are giving out warnings of the dangers

thekeg (IP Logged)
16 January, 2019 20:27
Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
It was obvious v Glaws & Sorries that our saffers were better than theirs. Exit the better ones and we're back to ordinary.

So Ross, RJVR and de Klerk aren’t “better ones”?

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
17 January, 2019 09:13
I'm probably being overly simplistic here, but didn't the European Withdrawal Act incorporate all domestic EU law into UK law until it might be repealed piecemeal?

Doesn't this kick the the aff3cted players' status can down the road for now? At least as far as domestic competition goes.

17 January, 2019 10:43
Quote:
thekeg
Quote:

It was obvious against Connacht that we missed the Du Preez brothers. RJVR is one of the better ones but didn't play against Glaws, Sorries, and Connacht. Ross is a tackler but lacks game management, ref. management and rugby nous. Connacht showed that without a quality 10 much of Faf's effort is wasted. We also need a quality kicker in the absence of MacGinty (and Du Preez).

There are no ants in Antarctica despite the name.

H's D (IP Logged)
17 January, 2019 12:17
I think "domestic" is the operative word there aginghoody. I don't think it applies to laws wrt immigration. That was, after all, one of the principal paranoid fears behind Brexit.
There will still be a 'right to remain' for EU citizens already resident for less than 5 years, that has been made clear, but no-one has made clear what happens should the individual return to their native country for a short period. The 'right to remain' could however disappear under an acrimonious no-deal Brexit.

clutch (IP Logged)
17 January, 2019 12:24
Wow. What a description of Ross!!!! Basically a thick lump who tackles a lot!! We are doomed with him as captain.

thekeg (IP Logged)
17 January, 2019 12:29
Quote:
Quote:
thekeg
Quote:

It was obvious against Connacht that we missed the Du Preez brothers. RJVR is one of the better ones but didn't play against Glaws, Sorries, and Connacht. Ross is a tackler but lacks game management, ref. management and rugby nous. Connacht showed that without a quality 10 much of Faf's effort is wasted. We also need a quality kicker in the absence of MacGinty (and Du Preez).

I think AJ is back v soon, agree we will benefit from a senior 10/goal kicker being back, any team would

I completely disagree with your assessment of Jono Ross

yukon (IP Logged)
17 January, 2019 12:49
I agree, the Ross description is far from accurate

Yareet (IP Logged)
17 January, 2019 14:51
Quote:
Quote:
thekeg
Quote:

To be fair, Eddie must like his players to lack ref management since he’s just handed the captaincy for the Ireland to the worst offender.

Rich E (IP Logged)
17 January, 2019 19:08
Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think I witnessed one of the worst professional kicks at goal when the Connaught no' 10 had a pop at goal....

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 07:47
Quote:
Rich E
Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think I witnessed one of the worst professional kicks at goal when the Connaught no' 10 had a pop at goal....

That was a real howler!

johneverton (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 09:17
Agreed! Jack Carty was the name, 59th minute. The decisive kick by Horwitz 13 minutes later laboured its way between the posts, too.

BenHK (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 09:50
It's all gone very quiet on the signings front since the surge of re-signings last month. Any news or rumours on the saffers we're being lined up with? Or any Academy boys being given senior contracts?

Am I right in saying that, at the moment, the only external signing for next season is JCW?

This is the last I can find on the offy: https://www.salesharks.com/2019/02/06/signings-and-re-signings-2018-19/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/02/2019 09:52 by BenHK.

stevene (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 16:42
I suspect the potential no deal brexit is a reason for the delay, regardless of anything the club says re agreements with clubs over timing.

21 February, 2019 20:23
Quote:
stevene
I suspect the potential no deal brexit is a reason for the delay, regardless of anything the club says re agreements with clubs over timing.

I suspect, as mentioned in Simon Orange recent Shark Tank interview announcements will be made end of this month, beginning of March. SO talked about agreements being in place with various national unions ref time when signings could be announced

Crutch (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 20:29
Yes, he suggested it would be a month or two. If we’ve still not heard by end March then I’ll be more concerned.

Olyy (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 22:16
World cup year, as well
A fringe player might not want to commit to a foreign club this far out for fear of losing any 50/50 squad position call

stevene (IP Logged)
22 February, 2019 13:58
Quote:
Newcastle under Lyme RUFC Shark
Quote:
stevene

I suspect, as mentioned in Simon Orange recent Shark Tank interview announcements will be made end of this month, beginning of March. SO talked about agreements being in place with various national unions ref time when signings could be announced

yes he did. However there is no clear guidance on kolpak (or other EU laws) in the event of no deal (or any clarification from the league to kolpaks/ overseas quotas if players are already contracted). The current draft withdrawal agreements means kolpak (and other similar laws) would be maintained for at least two years. Until that is agreed by parliament (or we have clarity on kolpak labour laws in the event of no deal) it creates a major issue for overseas signings if they were earmarked as kolpaks. The club could have a raft of south african player contracts and not be able to play them together as they would count as overseas players. It would be naive to sign them before this is clarified (albeit the contracts maybe signed subject to this clarification).

It maybe that we have agreed with their clubs to only announce them in March and tying into kolpak issues is just a co-incidence.

However you maybe right and I am just a natural cynic!

Good article about the issue here:

[www.rugbypass.com]

and here

[www.theguardian.com]

Olyy (IP Logged)
23 February, 2019 08:57
Springboks introducing central contracts to try and keep their best players, which could throw a spanner in the works of our recruitment.

Also going to be enforcing "Regulation 9", which I believe is the one about releasing players for international windows - so no more dodgy dealings over getting Faf back during the autumn internationals.

Olyy (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 09:53
Signing announcement at midday tomorrow according to the offy Twitter

StalyShark (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 09:59
Quote:
Olyy
Signing announcement at midday tomorrow according to the offy Twitter

An immediate return of RdP let’s hope as AJ seems more injured than not.

clutch (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 11:07
Who cares. As long as they have played for South Africa!!

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 11:43
So its RDP but doesn't say when or for how long. Nothing on the Offy yet

Very pleased(Sm128)

Follow up with Jean Luc please

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/02/2019 11:45 by ashtonshark.

Tigger (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 12:02
Quote:
ashtonshark
Very pleased(Sm128)

Until 2022

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/DEmmerich/gws21.jpg

Please try to keep discussions generally polite. ADMIN will ban without warning anyone who makes a post that falls into any of the following categories: potentially legally actionable; foul or abusive; deliberately or persistently disruptive; spam. No sockpuppets. Please do not feed the trolls.

Tigger (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 12:02
Quote:
ashtonshark
Very pleased(Sm128)

Until 2022

Please try to keep discussions generally polite. ADMIN will ban without warning anyone who makes a post that falls into any of the following categories: potentially legally actionable; foul or abusive; deliberately or persistently disruptive; spam. No sockpuppets. Please do not feed the trolls.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 12:04
Arriving after Super Rugby season along with the rest of the Saffers.

Olyy (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 12:06
Excellent news!

Crutch (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 12:30
Fantastic. Much as I like AJ, he has had lots of injuries, and Rob seemed to pick up the attacking structure in just a few weeks by comparison.

Also must make signing the siblings more likely too smiling smiley

yukon (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 12:33
[www.sarugbymag.co.za]

I just saaw this form SA, interesting about the twins being "short term"

StalyShark (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 12:46
Another one at 3pm according to twitter. Cryptic “room for one more”...

yukon (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 13:19
Quote:
StalyShark
Another one at 3pm according to twitter. Cryptic “room for one more”...

I don; thtink it's cryptic

StalyShark (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 13:34
One more of which family..?

23Shark (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 14:49
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0QkL_aX0AMtTN1.jpg

Monty9 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 15:02
[www.youtube.com]

Will be the best hooker in the Prem in 19/20 and part of one of the best front 5s.

Excited

yukon (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 15:02
It's van der Merwe- awesome. Tooday has been a good day!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/02/2019 15:02 by yukon.

Olyy (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 15:03
Outstanding

23Shark (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 15:06
Two great signings, having top class back up options should make a huge difference to the team. Should mean the players can really give 100% for a shorter period.

clutch (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 15:11
Means poor Webber doesn’t have to play 70mins. Just need a 1 and a second row sorted now. Plus additional du Preez

ale shark (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 15:13
Handy looking player, decent nickname as well. The Raging Waterhog for those that can't be bothered to read the article.

I'm assuming "until 2022" means until the end of the 21/22 season.

clutch (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 15:24
Loving the nickname

Crutch (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 21:24
2 massive signings, where are all the comments??

Looks like lots of go forward from the Warthog!

clutch (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 21:26
He’s got pace by the looks of it.

thekeg (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 21:27
Sounds like two good recruits. We all know what Du preez brings, which is genuine competition for the 10 shirt. I suspect we will see him become first choice next year. The difference between him and AJ isn’t significant, but as much as anything it felt to me that the Du preez brothers brought a very competitor winning attitude when they were here and that can raise standards across the board.

AVDM looks like he is above all else a significant unit who loves carrying and tackling, which is exactly the sort of player we need to add. We know we have a very solid experienced option in Webber, so having something a bit different is a good idea, can see him being used as an impact sub early on while he settles in. Also sounds like he’s a known quantity to some of our players, so there’s a good chance he’ll fit in

thekeg (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 21:29
Quote:
Crutch
2 massive signings, where are all the comments??
Looks like lots of go forward from the Warthog!

Was just thinking it’s remarkably quiet given we play the top side at home on Saturday and we’ve just made two good signings

Plenty of conment when we don’t make announcements.....

ale shark (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 21:34
Quote:
thekeg
..............impact sub.......

If we sign a front rower who can't commit for a full 80 mins each week then frankly we don’t want them around.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 21:41
Two very interesting signings. AJ can’t seem to stay fit sadly. Hate to say it but I think he’ll end up as second choice. He seems to have many qualities but it doesn’t seem as though being a forceful character is one. Possibly the main reason why he didn’t do so well in his first year when he was dropped for Mugford. You’d want him first to stay fit and then grab the backs by the scruff of the neck and become the driving force. Hopefully Rob’s arrival will force him to do that.

It’ll be a real battle between Webber and Akker to see who starts but I can see Webber doing the 50-60 then Akker finishing. After another year it’ll be quite a scrum between Nield and Langdon for Webber’s place once he looks at hanging up his boots.

thekeg (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 21:44
Quote:
ale shark
Quote:
thekeg

If we sign a front rower who can't commit for a full 80 mins each week then frankly we don’t want them around.

I’m hoping that’s sarcasm 😀

StalyShark (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 21:44
Quote:
ale shark
Quote:
thekeg

There aren’t many front rowers these days who can go full on for 80 mins! We are spoiled by Harrison! On that note, let’s hope he’s fit soon!

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 01:20
I reckon I've got a pretty good idea where ale shark's tongue was as he typed his 80 mins comment.

(That sounds all kinds of wrong, but if you take your minds out of the gutter, then you know exactly what I mean).

These look like excellent signings, not only in terms of what each brings to the squad, but also in terms of a sign of intent by the club, Dimes didn't get either of these two at Aldi.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

franknfurter (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 01:38
Excellent signings.

Fingers crossed to no injuries before they get here.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 08:41
Quote:
Crutch
2 massive signings, where are all the comments??!

Funnily enough I saw a comment on Twitter from a normally very frequent poster on here who used to spend all their time lambasting the club, particularly for our strength in the front 5 and Dimes. Their comment to Van Der Merwe signing was something along the lines of, “what about Neild and Langdon” which I thought was hilarious and understable why said person wouldn’t make that comment on here.

I do miss them though as like you said it has been surprisingly quiet on here.

Crutch (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 08:53
I saw that too.

To be fair it is a very difficult balancing act to bring in these big names whilst not hindering development of our young talent and also being successful enough to keep the whole momentum going.

So far I definitely trust Dimes on this though.

ale shark (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 09:05
I do worry a bit about where and when our next break-through player might come from. The path for someone like Redpath is now very blocked but I guess Luke James took his chance well when it was presented to him. I thought Moore might have had a chance of game time this season but that's not happened, as for a 3rd scrum half, clearly not much happening there either. Rightly or wrongly a totally unproven Russian is preferred in the front row to an academy product.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 09:08
Webber has been outstanding for us but he's 33 this year and he can't keep playing 70 mins a week. Also if he gets injured we are exposed. Landgon maybe needs a couple more years development before he can be considered first choice so bringing in another quality hooker to rotate with Webber whilst continuing to give Langdon enough development time seems like a good move to me. Tricky balancing act though but a nice problem to have

Monty9 (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 09:22
Quote:
ale shark
I do worry a bit about where and when our next break-through player might come from. The path for someone like Redpath is now very blocked but I guess Luke James took his chance well when it was presented to him

I agree in part with this Ale, it is definitely harder for a player to break through with much more quality in the squad (especially next season) but we had to bring in Tier 1 front 5 players and we are.

I know Saracens don´t have many fans across the league but I hope we are going to follow a similar model as them, 7/8 seasons back, who would have expected them to bring through all the talent they have? I believe we have a generation at 18-20 years old similar to what they had and bought through and from a similar position. It really could be a bright future ahead.

What is also really exciting is we are signing players in their prime, not people coming for a pay check.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 09:23
Quote:
Crutch
I saw that too

I hope you enjoyed the Irony of it also Crutch, gave me a good chuckle this morning.

MikeGC (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 10:54
So, is the consensus that McGinty will move on and Wilkinson and/or Redpath will be allocated the "stand by stand off" slot ?

StalyShark (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 11:18
Quote:
MikeGC
So, is the consensus that McGinty will move on and Wilkinson and/or Redpath will be allocated the "stand by stand off" slot ?

He’s got three more years on his contract but he is 29 today. Wilkinson and Redpath will still be really young then however. I can see Wilkinson especially being loaned out to a championship club, if not FC now they have a Spanish 10.

23Shark (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 11:29
Quote:
MikeGC

Dont think anyone has suggested that, we'll just have two top class fly halves in our squad. Dimes has talked about having two good players in each position and this is in line with that statement.

ale shark (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 11:42
Quote:
23Shark
Dimes has talked about having two good players in each position and this is in line with that statement.

Absolutely, if we want to compete on two fronts then this what we need. Need a 45man squad though which we'll be close to.

We don't want too many players going deep into the world cup, unfortunately an in-form SA have a decent route to the final assuming they come second in their group (Ire 1/4, Wal 1/2)

Olyy (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 12:00
Bizarre to suggest AJ would leave,
We need two flyhalves, we can't keep shoe morning a centre in there (as admirably as James has done).

Wilkinson looks promising but also looks a while off consistent first team senior rugby.

If we're wanting top 6 rugby then we need two viable options, that the coaches trust, in every position.

Plus AJ will be missing for the world cup period + international periods, so the 19/20 season won't see too much of a clash either way

clutch (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 12:03
I don’t see Redpath being blocked. If and when he’s ready he will play. O Connor won’t be here forever. If Redpath is better than James’ he will jump ahead of them.

MikeGC (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 12:11
Quote:
23Shark
Quote:
MikeGC

Dont think anyone has suggested that, we'll just have two top class fly halves in our squad. Dimes has talked about having two good players in each position and this is in line with that statement.

I wasn’t suggesting that McGinty would be leaving, I was asking what the folk on here thought might be happening.

thekeg (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 16:16
Quote:
ale shark
I do worry a bit about where and when our next break-through player might come from. The path for someone like Redpath is now very blocked but I guess Luke James took his chance well when it was presented to him. I thought Moore might have had a chance of game time this season but that's not happened, as for a 3rd scrum half, clearly not much happening there either. Rightly or wrongly a totally unproven Russian is preferred in the front row to an academy product.

Which academy product do you mean? Flynn isn’t fit yet is he?

clutch (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 16:31
The our Russian is a little bit older. Rather than breaking a younger lad.

Tigger (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 18:35
From Twitter.....

Coach Murray
@Murrayingram
Hey
@SaleSharksRugby
fans. Remember the impact Schalk Brits had at Saracens? Well, you guys just got your own version of Schalk. You are going to LOVE the way Akker plays rugby. Proper game-breaker.

clutch (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 20:00
Well if he’s half the player we are doing ok.

bigfecker (IP Logged)
27 February, 2019 07:49
Quote:
ale shark

Hasn't Moore been injured most of this season?

ale shark (IP Logged)
27 February, 2019 09:28
Quote:
bigfecker
Hasn't Moore been injured most of this season?

Probably, it’s hard to follow. Sadly that seems to be his default setting at the moment.

clutch (IP Logged)
27 February, 2019 12:12
He appeared for a bit and is injured again.

Worrying but he’s only 20 so time yet for him to be sorted.

ale shark (IP Logged)
27 February, 2019 13:43
Quote:
clutch
Worrying but he’s only 20 so time yet for him to be sorted.

OTish - Rare exceptions aside my thoughts are players shouldn’t really be playing top flight rugby before the age of 21. They’re still developing, not just physically. I think we’ve just become accustom to it with the Currys and Luke James and others who were playing and exceeding expectations regularly at a young age. Redpath and Moore have probably had more attention and hopes pinned to them than maybe they should, rather than letting them develop under the radar. In the case of these two I think it may be due to their international options being open.

Maybe we get a bit carried away, having five or six players aged 20 or under in a matchday squad is pretty ludicrous. I’d be interested to know if overall across they league players are getting selected at an earlier age or if it just feels like that because we’ve got a number of promising youngsters.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net