rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Challenge Cup QF
ashtonshark (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 12:09
So here's what I reckon

IF we get a 5 point win (and don't cock it up like against Bordeaux) we will be 3rd ranked which means we will play the best runner up. If Connacht get a 5 point win its them otherwise it will be Bristol as they will get another big 5 pointer against the Siberians

La Rochelle likely to be 2nd ranked with a win over Zebre and will play the 2nd best runner up i.e Bristol or Connacht (or Saints if Connacht lose!)

IF we win our QF we would then play the winner of the La Rochelle and Bristol/Connacht QF. Away if its La Rochelle and home if its Bris or Connacht or Saints

I think that's right. Obviously 2 big IFs in there

The other possible scenario is that we only get a 4 point win and Wuss get a 5 pointer which would mean we would be 4th ranked and then it all changes. Not worked that route out as I'm placing my bets on a 5 pointer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2019 12:47 by ashtonshark.

Re: Challenge Cup QF
clutch (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 12:44
Would be unacceptable to not get a BP against an understrength Perpignan team. Unless the weather intervenes. Connaught May struggle against Bordeaux.

ale shark (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 13:09
Late April semi-final trip to La Rochelle sounds nice.

I assume there's going to be a mass boycotting of Saturdayís game if Patrick Jackson plays. Wonít help our cause much playing to an empty stadium.

Ewok shark (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 13:20
If we finish as the 3rd ranked team can't have a home semi due to the strange ranking that European rugby use

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 13:26
Quote:
Ewok shark
If we finish as the 3rd ranked team can't have a home semi due to the strange ranking that European rugby use

Not correct

From the official site

(b) For Semi-final 2

If the clubs ranked 3 and 2 win their QFs, the club ranked 2 will have home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 3 and 7 win their QFs, the club ranked 3 will have home venue advantage

thekeg (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 13:48
Quote:
ale shark
Late April semi-final trip to La Rochelle sounds nice.
I assume there's going to be a mass boycotting of Saturdayís game if Patrick Jackson plays. Wonít help our cause much playing to an empty stadium.

I realise you are being tongue in cheek, but why would anyone boycott a game at home when itscthe away team that you have an issue with. Perpignan donít benefit from the money being paid for a ticket and itís not saleís fault if heís picked. Youíd only be benefitting Perpignan.....

iBozz (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 14:26
John Evertonís permutations from The Iffy.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

ale shark (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 14:27
Keg - I was and they won't. Most of those that objected to the signings probably don't even know where Sale is. Added to that they probably have no understanding of the services that UK Fast, AJ Bell, CorpAcq, Morson and Printerland offer and are never likely to use their services anyway (come to think of it, neither am I).

Statesman (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 16:01
Ashtonshark - I don't think you are completely correct, Connacht can't finish 2nd best runner up. I think the outcomes will be as follows:-
Connacht 5 points then 1. Connacht 2. Bristol and 3. Saints or
Connacht 4 points then 1. Bristol 2. Saints and 3. Connacht
So La Rochelle will play Bristol or Saints.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 16:30
Quote:
Statesman
Ashtonshark - I don't think you are completely correct, Connacht can't finish 2nd best runner up. I think the outcomes will be as follows:-
Connacht 5 points then 1. Connacht 2. Bristol and 3. Saints or
Connacht 4 points then 1. Bristol 2. Saints and 3. Connacht
So La Rochelle will play Bristol or Saints.

I think they technically could (equal points and a better points diff) but I think you are right that they won't as Saints will get a big 5 pointer against the Romanians which will give them a vastly better points difference that Connacht who would have also have 21 match points if they only got a 4 point win

Ewok shark (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 21:12
Quote:
ashtonshark
Quote:
Ewok shark

Not correct

From the official site

(b) For Semi-final 2

If the clubs ranked 3 and 2 win their QFs, the club ranked 2 will have home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 3 and 7 win their QFs, the club ranked 3 will have home venue advantage

Not true the official site says that away winners leap frog pool seeds so if 7th beat 2nd they are home 3rd can't be home in a semi doesn't make sense to me but it was the same rules last year

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 22:19
Quote:
Ewok shark
Quote:
ashtonshark
Quote:
Ewok shark

Not correct

From the official site

(b) For Semi-final 2

Not true the official site says that away winners leap frog pool seeds so if 7th beat 2nd they are home 3rd can't be home in a semi doesn't make sense to me but it was the same rules last year

Where does it say that Ewok? I'm looking but can't see it

Current rules here
Rules
and no mention of that unless I'm just having a brain freeze and can't see it.

Statesman (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 22:26
You are both right! The official site is wrong! Away winners get a home semi but it doesnít say that on the official site.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 22:32
So where does it say it?

If rules are published on the official site then surely that is what you play to. Says the same for the Champions Cup as well. Its very precise and unambiguous

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 22:32
RFU negotiations with the government are on-going to try to ensure that the later stage matches will be able to go ahead in the event of a no deal brexit
This has yet to be agreed......

Statesman (IP Logged)
16 January, 2019 16:32
Ashtonshark, it appears that the rules changed after last season - so your understanding and the official site are correct.

franknfurter (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 01:43
Well I have us having a home QF against Saints.

So thats us out.....

Then again, I can't predict games for toffee hahaha

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 22:08
Saints look like clinching sixth seed with a 111-3 win (Sm8)

camshark (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 23:00
Ok , it's a stretch , but iIF we get 5 points against Perpignan , and unless Worcester gets a cricket score 5 pointer , and IF La Rochelle lose in Zebre ....... and then I think IF we win our home quarter final , we will be at home easter weekend for the semi .
Who would be a pundit .

Timperley Shark (IP Logged)
19 January, 2019 09:22
it is fun though being a pundit. Calculator has been out and I would bet on:-
Clermont v Connacht
La Rochelle v Bristol
Sale v Saints
Quins v Worcester. (May be the other way around)

And still hope for a Clermont v Sale final.

NB - Agree with Camshark. All need to become Zebra fans this afternoon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/01/2019 09:25 by Timperley Shark.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
19 January, 2019 10:29
Saints farce of a game has made them more likely opponents now than Bris if Connacht dont get 5 points duecto the massivevpoints difference they racked up.

Bris have to do something similar to finish higher than Saints now I think. They have a chance as they are playing the Russian side.

It does bring into question the involvement of sides that are conceding on average 60 points a game. puts teams innthe other groups at a disadvantage. Guaranteed 10 points and massive points diff before you even start

MarchingIn (IP Logged)
19 January, 2019 11:05
Quote:
ashtonshark
It does bring into question the involvement of sides that are conceding on average 60 points a game. puts teams innthe other groups at a disadvantage. Guaranteed 10 points and massive points diff before you even start

Swings and roundabouts - Saints had to play Top14 leaders Clermont twice as well. Sale haven't got any opponents on their level in your group - swap Sale & Saints over and we might have won that pool for a home knock out match - we came bloody close to beating Clermont away last week at 48-40, there was 1 point in it with 5 minutes to play. It's still a stiff contest to win any group as every group has at least 3 'good' sides, and everybody getting in as a "best loser" with an away quarter final against the strongest 3 qualifiers is up against it to progress further.

Shireshark (IP Logged)
19 January, 2019 16:58
Am I right in thinking that, with Connacht getting a 5 point win in France we will be home to them in the 1/4 finals?

Olyy (IP Logged)
19 January, 2019 17:23
Quote:
Shireshark
Am I right in thinking that, with Connacht getting a 5 point win in France we will be home to them in the 1/4 finals?

God, I hope not.
Apparently Bristol's quarter is against someone from their group as well.

Really takes the magic away from the Euro comp when you're playing the same team three times.

Ewok shark (IP Logged)
19 January, 2019 17:41
I think 3 of the 4 quarters are teams from the same group.

HartfordShark (IP Logged)
19 January, 2019 18:29
Fixtures are:

Clermont - Saints
La Rochelle - Bristol
Sale - Connacht
Worcester - Quins

Three of the four games are replays of group round matches!

Olyy (IP Logged)
19 January, 2019 18:43
How daft

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
19 January, 2019 18:51
Just a bit of a freak occurance i think. Saints and Bris could easily have changed places as their ranking was decided on 159 points diff v 155 with both racking up 100+ points in round 6

East Stand Shark (IP Logged)
19 January, 2019 20:00
That's a trip to La Rochelle at Easter to look forward to. Now to look at flight options

East Stand Shark (IP Logged)
19 January, 2019 20:05
Alternatively if we beat Connacht and Bristol beat La Rochelle (as they did in their group match) then we'll host Bristol at home in the Semi Final. C'mon Bristol!

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
19 January, 2019 20:26
Quote:
East Stand Shark
That's a trip to La Rochelle at Easter to look forward to. Now to look at flight options

Counting chicks before they've hatched?

20 January, 2019 12:58
Will Connacht have to rest their Ireland players after the 6N?

If not I don't think that a win is a given.....

emerging shark (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 17:28
There are only 3 Connacht players in the Ireland squad and it's unlikely that they will get any game time in six nations

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 18:29
I'm pretty sure Bundee Aki will get plenty of 6 Nations game time

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 18:35
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark
Will Connacht have to rest their Ireland players after the 6N?
If not I don't think that a win is a given.....
European competition is two weeks after six nations ends I believe, and players are never rested for euros. It's a prime objective in Ireland.

20 January, 2019 19:57
Quote:
ashtonshark
I'm pretty sure Bundee Aki will get plenty of 6 Nations game time

Quin Roux as well....

Rani of the Road (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 21:04
I've just seen a diagram of the draw, and after Connacht we'd face Bristol at home if they beat La rochelle.

ulsterlad (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 03:59
Slightlty Off Topic - That game is Brexit Weekend!

Who knows what will be happening by then, but a quick look at some Connacht forums there are a few "tongue in cheek" jokes about we can get there, but can we get home?

Probably never going to be an issue between UK and IRL (for a while anyway) but depending on what silliness happens it could be for some and quite ironic that The European Ruby games happen on the weekend the UK is due to leave the EU!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/01/2019 04:15 by ulsterlad.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 14:19
Quote:
Ulsterlad
Slightlty Off Topic - That game is Brexit Weekend!

Who knows what will be happening by then, but a quick look at some Connacht forums there are a few "tongue in cheek" jokes about we can get there, but can we get home?

Probably never going to be an issue between UK and IRL (for a while anyway) but depending on what silliness happens it could be for some and quite ironic that The European Ruby games happen on the weekend the UK is due to leave the EU!

I hope all is okay. The European Ruby games are precious! (Just my way of saying you have a typo.)(Sm1)

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 15:51
Unless there is an extension to the Brexit date, I wouldn't fancy travelling in/out of the UK on that weekend.

Have the dates for the QF's been announced yet? I've seen mention somewhere that all four matches will be televised

johneverton (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 11:40
Friday 29th March, KO 7.45pm

snaderson (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 13:08
Somebody will be exiting Europe on that day, JE.

johneverton (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 14:03
Hope it will be a Soft Brexit for Connacht to Galway via Knock!!

ale shark (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 14:36
They just need to be home for 11pm, I'm almost certain that SS are putting the travel plan together now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/01/2019 14:38 by ale shark.

johneverton (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 16:12
Shuttle buses revved up and lights on green...Ö

Windgather (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 18:39
The game does not appear to be included in the ST, which may or may not come as a surprise!

"Priority will be given to Season Ticket holders to purchase their current seat for games not included in the Season Ticket package such as Quarter- and Semi-Finals and play-off matches, and The Club reserves the right to price these tickets as part of the Season Ticket Benefits."

thekeg (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 19:07
Quote:
Windgather
The game does not appear to be included in the ST, which may or may not come as a surprise!
"Priority will be given to Season Ticket holders to purchase their current seat for games not included in the Season Ticket package such as Quarter- and Semi-Finals and play-off matches, and The Club reserves the right to price these tickets as part of the Season Ticket Benefits."

It shouldnít really be a surprise....

Crutch (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 19:38
Always the case.

Osshark (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 23:40
Quote:
Windgather

Charging money on a season ticket for a game that isnít guaranteed really shouldnít surprise anyone.

brilin (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 08:44
I know that is so long since we reached the knock out section of any competition that people have forgotten that it is not in the season ticket price. It NEVER has been. Always extra otherwise everyone would be moaning that they were being charged for something that we rarely achieve!

The other 'arf

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 09:18
Quote:
snaderson
Somebody will be exiting Europe on that day, JE.

Insert your own Irish backstop gags here.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 19:54
Please can someone confirm Iím going mad?

ST holders are being given 50% off our tickets and thereís also the chance to buy further adult tickets at 20% off. However, somewhere in my mind Iím sure I read something about the ability to buy up to 10 tickets at a large discount. Iím assuming it was for the QF but think Iím imagining it - have I gone dollally?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net