rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Kitshoff
23Shark (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 11:53
I know it's been discussed in the transfer rumours thread but this seems a bit more solid than a rumour now with SA media reporting it's a done deal.

Great news if true!

[www.sarugbymag.co.za]

Re: Kitshoff
romanfaithfull (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 12:11
This would be a huge signing if true. Having 4 premiership (and above!) standard props in a squad would be massive.

Harrison JCW WGJ Kitschoff and then Jones and the Russian developing, plus the ex-academy boys coming through. If we sign all the du Preez boys on top of that then top 4 is certainly achievable next season.

thekeg (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 12:30
Simon orange on the shark tank podcast suggested that we have signed a loosehead and a hooker, plus perhaps the Du Preez lads, so itveiuld tie in with this. He also sounded delighted with the quality of the signings....

45jumper (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 13:30
Would be a huge signing. He's arguably the best loosehead around, at least in a scrummaging sense.
The depth in the front row would be incredible, if a bit harsh on Webber who has been playing superb rugby this season. I'd probably loan Neild out for a season to get him a bit of experience at hooker and keep Langdon as 3rd choice.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/01/2019 13:32 by 45jumper.

Olyy (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 16:23
Such a huge fan of Kitshoff, IMO he's the best scrummaging LH in the game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/01/2019 16:24 by Olyy.

thekeg (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 16:43
Quote:
Olyy
Such a huge fan of Kitshoff, IMO he's the best scrummaging LH in the game.

He’s the best scrummager I’ve seen recently, would be a fantastic signing.

Crutch (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 17:17
And also dangerous in the loose!

18 January, 2019 18:35
We desperately need a forward who can force his way over from 5m. out. Du Preez (No. 8) could do it and Kitshoff looks as though he could.

There are no ants in Antarctica despite the name.

Glossopshark (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 18:36
I am more excited about this than pretty much any signing we've made in the last 3 years.

Not only is he in the top 3/4 looseheads in the world (Vunipola, Moody and McGrath in the mix too) but at 26 he is still on an upward trajectory towards his peak for the next 3-6 years.

Also, he is not a single marquee signing in the same way that someone like Luke McAllister was, he is part of a bigger picture landscape which includes other top end players who are a great mix of imports (Denny, Ash, Faf, etc) and homegrowns (Beaumont, Harrison, James, Curry x2), as well as a stack of high-quality academy players who are knocking on the door.

It's beginning to feel a lot more like a club than a franchise.

Rich E (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 18:38
Thinking of the more positive future, I wonder whether a more robust match day 23 will lead to a different playing style, taking on board the previous poster....

MartWhit (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 19:55
The boy's quality. Fullstop.Even Ross harrison will be happy to have him onboard.

Hymenoptera (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 15:07
Quality signing...thats some serious cash on 2 new props with JCW reported on 350k and 500K for this guy. That is serious quality of positions when klits is with SA.

thekeg (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 15:46
Quote:
Hymenoptera
Quality signing...thats some serious cash on 2 new props with JCW reported on 350k and 500K for this guy. That is serious quality of positions when klits is with SA.

I heard 300 for JCW, but yes it is a serious investment. However quality props aren’t cheap and that’s one of the reasons why we’ve only had a couple of top performers when we’ve been operating on a tight budget.

Rich E (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 18:03
You get what you pay for.....

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 18:36
Quote:
Rich E

I would agree with that statement until I remember the name ‘Richie Gray’

yukon (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 19:01
Quote:
Surbiton Shark
Quote:
Rich E

I would agree with that statement until I remember the name ‘Richie Gray’

Good player but the wrong player though at the wrong time. Shame.

Luckily I was out of the area a lot at the time and didn’t get to the AJ Bell much during his brief and unproductive tenure.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2019 19:02 by yukon.

Flumpty (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 21:47
Richie Gray aka The Invisible Man

MartWhit (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 17:26
We obviously still have a good chunk at the start of next season to cover before he'll arrive and be given a reasonable 'off season'. Ditto future seasons assuming he plays in the rugby championship. So our 3rd choice remains pretty important.

I'm intrigued as to whether another equal at LH allows Ross Harrison to undergo a slightly different conditioning regime next year. If he doesnt have to be prepped for a regular 80mins he could, looking at him, bulk up a little bit (3-4kg) if he felt it would help his scrumamging and make him a more potent carrier. It might also be useful ballast for our maul attack and defence.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 18:55
Also think that the Morozov signing is one that we hope will allow the starter LH more of a break as he seems to be pretty dynamic in the loose. With him and Flynn back in it seems as though Bristow will be leaving in the summer.

thekeg (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 19:37
Hopefully we will see Morozov in the Newcastle game. Based on the recent photo he looks like a big solid lad!

StalyShark (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 20:10
Talking of leaving props, according to Tarus’ instagram he’s just hired a car in Bordeaux...

Rani of the Road (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 21:00
Quote:
StalyShark
Talking of leaving props, according to Tarus’ instagram he’s just hired a car in Bordeaux...

Aren't the players on the new winter break week?

Olyy (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 21:16
Quote:
StalyShark
Also think that the Morozov signing is one that we hope will allow the starter LH more of a break as he seems to be pretty dynamic in the loose. With him and Flynn back in it seems as though Bristow will be leaving in the summer.

Would be a shame to see Bristow leave - he's been good in the showings I've seen. Did we only sign him to the end of the season.

That said - if we do sign Kitshoff then he'll be third choice, maybe even fourth depending on how Flynn goes when fit and firing. When you get down that far in the pecking order it's probably best to be giving the academy lads the minutes.

thekeg (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 21:25
Or maybe fifth choice if morozov works out....

We definitely don’t need five senior props so I can’t seen why he would get another contract, I agree he’s been a solid pick as cover

StalyShark (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 21:39
Quote:
thekeg
Or maybe fifth choice if morozov works out....
We definitely don’t need five senior props so I can’t seen why he would get another contract, I agree he’s been a solid pick as cover

Not given much of a chance really given how highly Dimes rates a 70-80 minute Harrison.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 21:42
Quote:
Rani of the Road
Quote:
StalyShark

Aren't the players on the new winter break week?

They are but it seems to have more in it than a holiday (Jono is in Cancun, a bit different to Bordeaux in January). Friendly with Cobilas I think and he’s there until he retires so it could be “come for a trial”. Best of luck if so.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net