rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Team News for Perpignan 19th Jan
C3Q (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 12:47
[www.salesharks.com]

Sale Sharks:15.Chris Ashton; 14.Denny Solomona, 13.Sam James, 12.Luke James, 11.Arron Reed; 10.Kieran Wilkinson, 9.Faf de Klerk; 1.Ross Harrison, 2.Rob Webber, 3.WillGriff John, 4.Josh Beaumont, 5.James Phillips, 6.Jono Ross (capt.), 7.Ben Curry, 8.Josh Strauss.

Replacements: 16.Curtis Langdon, 17.Tom Bristow, 18.Joe Jones, 19.Bryn Evans, 20.Tom Curry, 21.Will Cliff, 22.Cameron Redpath, 23.Paolo Odogwu

James OíConnor is ruled out through injury and is replaced by Luke James, who slots in at centre alongside brother Sam. Paolo Odogwu fills the vacancy on the bench. In the pack, Josh Beaumont returns and the Curry brothers swap places.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/01/2019 12:51 by C3Q.

Re: Team News for Perpignan 19th Jan
BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 12:48
Ross is against a 140kg prop. Hope he has someone strong to massage his neck after the game!!

thekeg (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 14:18
Dimes mentioned in the recent podcast that heíd been dealing with a player who needed a scan on an injury. Hope itís not another issue for oíconnor

Timperley Shark (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 15:55
Not seen the Perpignan team, but the bookies have us at 200/1 on to win. Handicap is 35 points. Do hope they are right!

LPCWOOKIE (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 17:21
Quote:
thekeg
Dimes mentioned in the recent podcast that heíd been dealing with a player who needed a scan on an injury. Hope itís not another issue for oíconnor
Had a big bag of ice strapped to his foot after the Connacht game but seemed to be waling fine on it in the bar afterwards

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 17:51
No obvious sign of injury at the airport the following day either when Mrs AS accosted him for a photo

clutch (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 17:53
Ok. So putting 2 and 2 together Mrs AshtonShark injured him?!

Rich E (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 18:34
JOC's injury perhaps makes it more so much more important that AJ and Van Rensberg are fit, healthy and raring to go come the 16th of Feb....

ale shark (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 19:43
Perpignan:

15.Bousquet (cap) ; 14.Pujol ; 13.Lucas ; 12.Duguivalu ; 11.Sau ; 10.Mťlť ; 9.Deghmache ; 8.Lemalu ; 7.Iachizzi ; 6.Raynaud ; 5.Roussel ; 4.TutaÔa ; 3.Sione ; 2.Leiataua ; 1.Tougne

RemplaÁants : 16.Deligny ; 17.Walcker ; 18.Muller ; 19.Chateau ; 20.Faleafa ; 21.Rodor ; 22.Selponi ; 23.Faingaanuku

Canít say I recognise anyone in there

johneverton (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 19:46
Rich E. - All the signs are looking good. AJ is the 2 o'clock interview in the Sharquee tomorrow.

Ale - have to agree!

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 22:00
Quote:
ale shark
Perpignan:
15.Bousquet (cap) ; 14.Pujol ; 13.Lucas ; 12.Duguivalu ; 11.Sau ; 10.Mťlť ; 9.Deghmache ; 8.Lemalu ; 7.Iachizzi ; 6.Raynaud ; 5.Roussel ; 4.TutaÔa ; 3.Sione ; 2.Leiataua ; 1.Tougne

RemplaÁants : 16.Deligny ; 17.Walcker ; 18.Muller ; 19.Chateau ; 20.Faleafa ; 21.Rodor ; 22.Selponi ; 23.Faingaanuku

Canít say I recognise anyone in there

Their outhalf is a former tigers scrum half

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 23:03
Quote:
clutch
Ok. So putting 2 and 2 together Mrs AshtonShark injured him?!

He didn't run away so I'd guess he was already injured...maybe😞

ale shark (IP Logged)
19 January, 2019 15:08
Is Denny wearing a hat to keep warm?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/01/2019 15:08 by ale shark.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
19 January, 2019 15:49
Sleeping pills in the pre match meal again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/01/2019 18:13 by ashtonshark.

Olyy (IP Logged)
19 January, 2019 17:24
Only followed on twitter but sounds like a sputtering start but then eased to a win in the 2nd half.

Considering their side, their status in the comp, and our need for a big win it does sound like we made hard work of it for a lot of the game.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
19 January, 2019 18:36
We did enough to win at a canter in the end but we lacked the intensity of recent weeks. Thought Reed again looked good and Paolo was like a Jack in the box when he came on. We really are well blessed with wingers atm. Faf did what Faf does. His defensive work really is outstanding let alone what he gives us in go forward.

Amongst the forwards, Josh had another fine game. He really looks to have settled at lock in recent weeks. However Rob Webber was my pick today. He is going through a real purple patch at the moment and is always looking for work.

Wilkinson however was extremely poor. He looked out of his depth with poor decision making and prone to errors, though he took his try well to be fair. We need AJ back fit and firing asap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/01/2019 18:42 by Chris1850.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
19 January, 2019 23:06
Olyy - early try conceded for third game in a row but in general - the conditions were rubbish, Perpignan were rubbish and we got the victory needed in a vaguely functional manner. It can sometimes be hard when youíre expected to win comfortably (didnít someone say we were favourites at the bookies by 35 points) and more so perhaps when cold and dank and without a large crowd to will you on.

So, pretty functionally successful. Reed did well - his try was a great finish as he received the ball having to jump and check any momentum, but still stood his man up and wiggled through. When he rolled his ankle, Paolo came on and made the most of it. He was a brute in refusing to go down easily.

As for Kieran Wilkinson, donít be too harsh. When watching the Connacht match last week, my feeling was that it was a wasted opportunity to help develop him with Faf doing everything from kicking at goal to restarts. A couple of fellow ST holders who sit around me and went there echoed that sentiment and suggested that the coaches were sanguine about that performance on the basis that the older players were perhaps directing him too much and he wasnít playing his natural game.

On the evidence today, the same was in force. Heís a 10 and should be kicking at goal, doing the restarts and generally being a fly half. Faf might like doing everything but thatís not helpful in this instance. Even more bizarre was why Cliffy took kicks at goal when he replaced Faf - I cannot for the life of me understand that. I half wondered if theyíre on kick bonuses and thatís why they wonít let KW kick! Even a simple kick in front of the posts - itís all about letting the young player get comfortable in even basic situations, surely?

Rant over, but the bigger point is that if heís being marginalised on the pitch, is it any wonder if he tries to force it when he does get some ball and hence a few avoidable errors. Thatís the only real negative for me from today - there needs to be better game management of KW (NB not by).

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
19 January, 2019 23:33
Alternatively, by taking the pressure off him wrt kicking, it leaves him free to concentrate solely on the rest of his game?

He clearly has talent and he is only 19. Huge responsibility to come in and hit the ground running at that age. Marcus Smith may have done it but he is exceptional. If Kieran is ready though he needs to show a lot better than he did today. Otherwise we have to conclude he is not yet ready.

Olyy (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 00:59
We definitely have a hierarchy wrt kicking - maybe it's an agreed upon structure with our kicking coach?
No point making the 10 do all the kicking if there are better players for different aspects.
Sam James does most kickoffs and kicks for touch, and I even remember him doing some when AJ/Cips were at 10, and Faf seems to be our number 2 kicked (behind AJ).

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 02:04
Chris - possibly, but then you need to let him actually play that game. Itís almost like Faf was trying to play both 9 & 10!

Olyy - Iíve heard KW has been kicking well in training and heís been slotting a few for Sale FC too. I donít think we can have any qualms about letting him try at least. When weíve got a recognised 10 I donít think Sam J would do a single kickoff. He does some kicking to touch where his left foot works more naturally but I think youíre perhaps over-egging how much he does when having a natural 10 playing. Faf might have been the second kicker until now but with KW coming through that doesnít need to remain the case. They could even swap depending on the side of the pitch. And when the game was done, I really donít understand why he was pushed below Cliffy.

Put it this way, I was delighted for him that he scored his try.

clutch (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 10:23
Itís our strategy for developing the player. Take the pressure off him. He will start kicking goals next year I expect. Missed the game yesterday and last week but everything Iíve seen about Wilkinson is v impressive. Plus he apparently played well in France.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 10:26
I have to say that I didnít particularly enjoy yesterdayís match and it wasnít solely because of an incredibly annoying amateur commentator sat behind me. Perpignan looked exactly like the team that have not won all season. Their season is done and they know it. If ring fencing brings about more ďdead rubberĒ games then Iím dead against it. The result was inevitable and that detracted from my enjoyment of what was in front of me. If thatís what being a Leinster fan in the Pro14 is like then that is not for me. The usual masochistic nervousness of a Sale match was absent sadly. Meaningful games with both sides having something other tha pride to play for is everything in sport and if we and the league (yes, I know this wasnít a league match) want to improve the game as a spectacle then the drama of the fear of losing and the elation of winning is key. Sadly, both were lacking yesterday. Weíve had some excellent matches recently against Gloucester and Saracens so one mustnít complain too much as a Sale fan however.

Weíll definitely back ourselves in the QF barring any squad issues and Iím getting closer to taking the punt on the final tickets (well, it is only a fifteen minute train train for me!).

Pappje, weíre on the same wavelength about Wilkinson. Heís been given the ďback seatĒ and he isnít used to it so when he got the ball yesterday he was trying to do too much in places like inside balls to no-one and looking for the gap and leaving the ball behind. It seemed like the perfect opportunity with the game won and kicks in front of the posts to give him the kicks, especially after he had already bagged a try. Missed opportunity there for his development. It would also have been a good opportunity for him to run the game in a more forthright manner too with the pressure off. With RJVR next to him for Newcastle will be different we hope.

With the Premiership Cup in mind I imagine the following will be given time away (Tom, Ashton and Strauss away with England and Scotland withstanding): Harrison (hugely deserved), Webber (off to Dubai apparently), John, Beaumont, Phillips, Ross, Ben, Faf (again, hugely deserved), S James and Denny.

Newcastle are going to go all out at us in two weeks time to turn around their season but thatís irrelevant to us and our use of the Cup. Itíll be a Jets team against them and they will probably easily beat us but itíll blood our kids, bring back injured players and make junior 1st 23 players step up. My guess of the team will be:

Bristow
Langdon
Jones
Evans
Ostrikov
Nield
Dugdale
Moore
Cliff
Wilkinson
Reed (ankle dependent)
L James
Doherty (if suspension fulfilled)
Odogwu
Redpath

Dolly
Morozov
Tarus
Postlethwaite
Leatherbarrow
Warr
RJVR
Roebuck/AJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2019 10:29 by StalyShark.

Flumpty (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 10:27
Quote:
Pappje Shark

Put it this way, I was delighted for him that he scored his try.

& I was chuffed that Reed scored as well !
The team seemed to be trying hard to get the "newbies" across the tryline - unfortunately for Doggy that didn't happen yesterday.

It was good to see the up and coming players getting game time against Perpignon and hopefully it'll be a similar story against the Budgies in the Premiership Cup at the start of Feb.

Flumpty (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 10:33
Quote:
StalyShark

Newcastle are going to go all out at us in two weeks time to turn around their season but thatís irrelevant to us and our use of the Cup. Itíll be a Jets team against them and they will probably easily beat us but itíll blood our kids, bring back injured players and make junior 1st 23 players step up. My guess of the team will be:

Maybe, possibly, perhaps the Budgies will use the opportunity to field some their A team players and use the additional time to get their injured players (which they have a lot), back to fitness.

As an aside, I've already got my Challenge Cup and Champions Cup tickets sorted (it would be brilliant for me if Sale were involved) and it'll be a lovely weekend in the land of the barcode.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 10:43
Quote:
Flumpty
Quote:
StalyShark

Maybe, possibly, perhaps the Budgies will use the opportunity to field some their A team players and use the additional time to get their injured players (which they have a lot), back to fitness.

As an aside, I've already got my Challenge Cup and Champions Cup tickets sorted (it would be brilliant for me if Sale were involved) and it'll be a lovely weekend in the land of the barcode.

Adam Brocklebank (who I didnít know is a Lancastrian) said the in the Rugby Paper theyíd be going out strong in the game. Possible like we did a few years back in the A-W when we were rooted at the bottom.

thekeg (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 11:31
How big a priority is goslkicking to Wilkinson? It seems obvious to think it must be as a 10, but having come through the system with redpath, who seems to be considered the better kicker, it may not be as big a deal as we think.

Crutch (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 14:02
If you listen to the Dimes interview with JB, itís a deliberate strategy to take pressure off KW as he develops, and given our successful development of players to date Iím happy to trust him on this.

clutch (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 14:30
Iíd agree we have to trust him. Find it a little odd though. We didnít play Niki Little at 12 to take the responsibility off Charlie when he first started.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 14:48
I think I read that all rugby staff are having the next week off

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 19:35
I havenít listened to that yet, but thereís taking the pressure off and marginalising someone too much. Iíd also refer back to my original comment re what the coaches themselves said that he was perhaps overly dictated to by older hands last weekend.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net